Escape from the Friend Zone

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Connie, you're amazing. I should have listened to you from the start."

"Now you're talking, but what about that sweet young thing of yours?"

"I'm not worried about her, with you around I'm worried about Dave. I owe him bigtime."

Kevin left her cube and hung his bag from the wall of his own cube and logged in to the computer. He tried to work, but memories from the night before made it impossible to concentrate.

His phone range. He picked it up on the first ring. "Hey Dave, what's up?"

"How'd it go with Mary last night?"

"It went fantastic. I owe you bigtime."

Dave laughed, "What do you mean you owe me?"

"You know, for covering my back. Breaking up me and Janet. Setting me up with Mary. All of that."

"Are you serious?" Dave was incredulous.

"Yes. You really looked out for me."

"You know, Mary's grandmother was right, you really are an idiot. You're a loveable idiot, but you're still an idiot."

"Why does everyone keep saying that?"

"Because it's true. You don't owe me. You've never owed me. Ever. If anything, I still owe you. Don't you remember what happened in high school?"

Kevin thought back to how he took the heat for Dave's anti-prom while Dave hid the booze. There was always something cooking in Dave's head. His job was always to cover for Dave. It was an important job and he did it well.

Dave said, "The three of us were a team. We made things happen. I was the king of the world when we were together."

"We can't relive high school you know."

"You're right, but having you and Mary together is the next best thing. You two will be happy and I'll always have somewhere to crash."

"You selfish bastard. That was your plan all along."

Dave laughed, "Admit it. When on your door I knock, happy to see me you'll be."

Kevin laughed, "That's enough, Yoda."

They laughed a bit more, said their goodbyes and hung up.

Kevin pulled the waste bin from the corner with his foot and pulled out the framed photo. Janet's beauty radiated through the shattered glass. For a while he'd thought he loved her, now he was certain that he never had. He would have to replace the picture with one of Mary, and maybe one of the three of them. The photos would be on his desk to remind him of the day his friends came to his rescue.