Gaming: D&D Pt. 07

Story Info
Well, sometimes location counts, too.
8.9k words
4.84
25.4k
24
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
AspernEssling
AspernEssling
4,334 Followers

I didn't see Parvani for almost two weeks. I didn't run into her on the bus, or at school. I phoned her house; her mother took a message. The second time I called, it was Simran who answered.

- "She's not able to come to the phone." said Simran. From the tone of her voice, I could tell that Parvani was home - and that Simran didn't appreciate being asked to run interference for her.

- "Can you ask her to call me?" I said. "Tell her ... tell her it's alright."

Simran sighed. "Just a minute." She put the phone down. It seemed like an eternity before she came back. It might have been all of 50 seconds.

"Ian - can you come over?" she said.

- "Now?"

- "Anytime." said Simran.

- "Is an hour from now okay?" I asked. I had to drive my sister to a friend's house.

- "See you then." she said.

I didn't know what to expect. When I got there, Simran was alone, waiting for me, with tea and biscuits.

- "I'm sorry to drag you into this." I said.

Simran just shook her head. "She's just being herself. Over-analyzing and worrying."

- "Is she okay? Is she here?"

- "She went out. She's embarrassed, Ian. Parvani thinks that she should have told you herself, instead of letting Nate do it." said Simran. "She's afraid that she's done damage to your relationship - with her and with Nate."

- "She hasn't." I said.

Simran studied me for a moment. "Are you sure?"

- "I'm fine." I insisted. "The night that Nate told me, I had plenty of time to think about it. I'm happy for both of them. Truly."

Simran seemed to believe me. "You know, I always thought that you and Parvani would end up together."

- "Oh?"

- "You must have known, Ian." she said. "She had a crush on you for almost three years."

My face fell. I hadn't known that. That is, I knew, sort of ... three years?

"She kept hoping that you would get over your infatuation with Tanya, because she knew that Tanya was interested in Derek. But when you started dating the other girl - the one from school ...?"

- "Jen."

- "Right." said Simran. "That was when Parvani started to change her mind. She almost back-tracked when you broke up with Jen, but ... I think that was when she finally started to get over you."

And here I was, thinking that I was the noble, self-sacrificing one. How many times had I twisted a knife in Parvani's heart? Three years?

Confession is good for the soul. I told Simran the truth.

- "I love your sister." I said. "As much as I love my own sister. She and Nate are the best friends I have in the world - the best friends I could ever imagine having."

"When I met Parvani, I just wasn't attracted ... you know - I didn't think of her romantically. There were a few times - the prom, and such - when I had ... doubts. But mostly I never saw her as a possible girlfriend."

"That may have been a good thing ... because I was - am - immature enough that I probably would have screwed up a relationship with her. I might have wrecked our friendship in the process."

- "I don't think you're immature, Ian." said Simran.

- "You don't know me that well." I said. "When I saw Par at Thanksgiving, I couldn't believe my eyes. But on top of that, I felt like an idiot. How could I not have noticed, all these years, how beautiful she was?"

- "She's always been beautiful." said Simran.

- "I know. I've always known that. But you have to admit, without the braces and those glasses, she looks very different - on the outside."

- "So now you find her attractive?"

- "I'm not blind." I said.

- "But ..."

- "But what?"

- "So at Thanksgiving you discovered how attractive she is." said Simran. "Why didn't you ... make a move?"

I shook my head. "I couldn't go from loving her like a sister to asking her out, just because she got a make-over."

"That doesn't mean that I didn't think about it - because I did." I added. "But I realized that I just couldn't go there. It wouldn't have been fair to her."

Simran thought about that, for a moment.

- "Won't it bother you, if she goes out with Nate?"

- "No."

- "How can you be sure?" she asked.

- "When Coop asked her out, I was ... jealous. I didn't interfere, but I didn't like the idea at all. But when Nate ... told me that he had feelings for Par - it just felt right. I think they'll be really good for each other."

Simran seemed pleased with that. She offered me more tea.

"How are things with you?" I asked.

- "I quit my job." she said.

- "You did?"

- "It's alright. I found another one."

- "What?" Simran had been moving up in the Human Resources department of a big insurance company. "I thought you were doing really well there."

- "I was. But I thought that would be happier working at a Publishing house. And I am."

- "Job satisfaction before money?"

- "Exactly."

We talked a little more. Then Simran looked at her watch.

- "I'll tell Parvani that she can talk to you." she said. "I think you two will be fine, as well."

- "Thanks, Simran." I said. "For your help."

- "It's nothing. You know, I was sort of looking forward to having you as a brother-in-law. I like Nate, too, though. Well ... we'll just have to find you a girlfriend." she said.

***

I met Parvani at the Mexican restaurant just off-campus. It was one of my favourite hangouts, and hers, too. We would both be comfortable there. As I walked in, I saw that they had re-decorated. And there was a waiter now, instead of a waitress.

Parvani was already there. When she saw me, she stood up. As I walked over, she tried to meet my eyes, but had to look away. I closed the distance between us, and wrapped my arms around her.

- "I'm so sorry." she said, into my shoulder.

- "You have nothing to be sorry for. If anyone should be sorry, it's me."

I finally got her sitting down, and ordered us a couple of coffees.

- "Simran told me - what you said." she blurted out.

- "Good." I said. "Because that's the truth. I'm happy for you and Nate. And I'm sorry about ... us. Before."

- "Why do you think that you would have ... messed up - if we had dated?" she asked.

- "It's just ... trust me, Par - I would have found a way. Don't underestimate my propensity for disaster."

That earned me a shy smile.

- "I don't see you that way, Ian." she said. "To me, you've always been my knight in shining armour. The prom, my stupid party ..."

- "You would do the same for me. In a heartbeat." I said. She didn't deny it.

- "I have to say this, Ian: if Nate and I together would be too much - too hard for you - then I won't go out with him."

- "Don't be silly. You can't put the genie back in the bottle. Nate knows, now, that you like him enough to go out with him. He can't un-know it. Neither can you."

- "Still."

- "You don't need my permission. That's just crazy talk. But ..." I reached across the table, and took her hand.

"If you want my blessing, you've got it."

Her lip quivered, and she looked as if she might cry. "Really?"

- "I can't think of anyone better for you. It just feels right. And the same goes for Nate. You're two wonderful people."

"And I hope to be friends with both of you for the rest of our lives."

***

The next time we played, it took Coop about fifteen minutes to figure it out. He looked at Parvani, then at Nate, and back to her. They couldn't help themselves: their eyes kept meeting, and they had barely suppressed smiles on their faces.

Coop kept looking from one to the other, and then turned to me, with a hilarious stunned expression. He glanced at the lovebirds, with exaggerated head bobs, and then raised both eyebrows.

- "Yes." I said.

- "Oh?" said Coop. "Well ... that's cool. Congrats, you guys!" He wasn't jealous at all - even though Par had turned him down only a few months ago.

Cherie came downstairs while we were gaming, and she spotted it instantly, too. The next day, she asked me: "Parvani and Nate?"

- "Yep."

- "And you're ok with it?"

- "Of course I am."

- "Okay. Cool." said my sister.

We continued to socialize as a threesome, and as a foursome. It wasn't difficult. They weren't lovey-dovey, and they didn't overdo the PDAs (Public Displays of Affection). They were just happy with each other.

And with me. They started showing me more signs of affection - an arm around the shoulder, a hug. It wasn't weird, or anything. It just felt like they wanted to share their happiness.

The first time they shared a group hug with Coop, though, he jerked as if he had been stung.

- "Whoa! I don't swing that way!" he yelped.

But he was just messing around, as he proved a moment later when he hugged them back. I got dragged into a four-way hug.

***

I made myself a Neil Young tape, with 90 minutes of my favourite songs, so that I could listen to it in Dad's car, or at home. 'Cinnamon Girl' was on both sides.

***

Just before Reading week, there was a big bash on campus. David Wilcox was headlining. If you've never heard his music, treat yourself. Of course, he was even better live than on a recording. His performances were always a great party.

Parvani and Nate agreed to go with me. Coop would have loved it, but he was out of town. The three of us were a little bit late, and the place was jammed - there was no hope of getting a table.

There was, though, a convenient elbow-high shelf which ran all around the cavernous hall, just wide enough to rest a drink on. I managed to find us a spot near the back of the room, conveniently close to the bar. Nate got the first round - a coke and two beers.

It was a classic show. The crowd was pumped, and loud. Nate and Par were up dancing half the time, while I stood guard over our drinks - and our spot. I enjoyed the music, and the view. There were several cute girls dancing not too far away.

One of them kept turning around, to look at me. At least, I think she was looking at me.

- "That girl keeps looking at you!" yelled Parvani, directly into my ear - it was the only way to make yourself heard in here.

- "She's checking you out!" yelled Nate, into my other ear. Stereo.

- "Do you know her?" yelled Parvani.

I shook my head. I had been watching her on and off for almost half an hour, though.

The girl had stopped dancing, and she was facing the back of the room - facing us. She wasn't very tall - maybe 5'2" or 5'3" - and fairly slender. She had long, light brown hair, almost down to her elbows. It was hard to tell anything about her body - winter clothing in Canada, in February, does tend to interfere with girl-watching.

But she had a pretty face. Her nose might have been a trifle too big for modelling, but I thought that it gave her character. Lovely eyes, full lips ... I was staring.

The girl was staring back, though - and smiling.

- "Go!" yelled Nate, right into my ear. "We'll watch the drinks!" He gave me a push, to get me started.

I had no idea what I was going to say - not that it mattered, since she wouldn't be able to hear me anyway. I wasn't about to scream into her ear - Nate and Parvani had done more damage to my eardrums than David Wilcox.

As I approached, Wilcox broke into 'Hypnotizin' Boogie'. The girl stood still, waiting. She was still smiling. I inclined my head in a bow, and extended my arm, indicating the dance floor, just behind her. In fact, people were dancing everywhere, so it didn't really matter. But her smile grew wider, and she turned to lead me a little closer to the stage.

I am not the world's greatest dancer - 'barely competent' would be a fair description. But I did my best, and Mystery girl boogied like she'd been born to it.

At closer quarters, there was something vaguely familiar about her. I tried to place her, but couldn't figure out if she was from one of my classes or not. One thing was for sure - she looked even better close up than she did from further away. This girl was the opposite of the quaint French-Canadian comment we'd used in high school: 'Belle de loin, mais loin de belle'. (Pretty from far, but far from pretty)

She might have been slender, but she was well put together. I was so busy looking at her, I had to remind myself to keep dancing.

The song ended, and Wilcox announced a short break.

- "Are you here with friends?" I asked. It was the first thing that popped into my head.

- "They're probably outside, smoking." she said.

- "Those are my friends, over there." I pointed. "Can I buy you a drink?"

- "Sure. Thanks." Damn - there was something familiar about her voice, too. Mystery girl let me lead her over to the bar.

Once we had drinks, we had to get out of the way of other thirsty patrons. She followed me as I went to rejoin Nate and Par.

- "I'd introduce you," I said, "but I don't know your name."

- "Diane." she said.

- "Parvani. Nate. I'm Ian."

- "Pleased to meet you." she said, with another big smile.

- "I've met you before, haven't I?"

- "You mean ' Don't I know you from somewhere?'." She laughed.

- "No - I'm pretty sure that I know you - I just can't for the life of me remember where we met." I was confused, too. How could I not remember a girl this good-looking?

Diane wasn't going to help me, either. Parvani suddenly gasped, as if she had just recognized her. But Mystery girl shot her a look, and Par didn't say a word. In fact, she mimed zipping her lip.

- "Really? You know?" I looked to Nate, but he was as clueless as I was.

I turned to Diane. "You go to school here?"

- "Yes, but we've never had any classes together." she said.

I was and well truly stumped. Diane took pity on me. She gathered up her long hair, and pulled it behind her head. As she did that, her left ear was revealed. She had two piercings in the same ear.

That's when I knew her. She hadn't worn makeup when I saw her - at work.

- "The Mexican restaurant!"

- "Oh yeah!" said Nate.

- "I always wore it in a bun, under a hairnet. And no makeup. Plus my face was always breaking out, from the heat and the grease." she said.

- "How did you know?" I asked Parvani.

- "Her smile, of course." said Par, as if it had been obvious.

- "You're not working there any more, are you?" I said.

- "No, I graduate this year. I need to get my act together and concentrate on school."

Parvani excused herself, to go to the washroom. Nate excused himself, to go with her. It wasn't very subtle, because of the way they were both grinning - but it did leave me alone with Diane.

I was a little embarrassed. This girl had served me food countless times, and I hadn't recognized her. I also remembered something that Jen had said, the first time I took there: 'The waitress is checking you out'.

- "What are you studying?" I asked.

- "Business Admin." she said.

- "Like it?"

- "It's alright."

- "I can't believe I didn't recognize you." I said. "I must have been to that restaurant dozens of times."

- "At least." she laughed.

Wilcox and his band were coming back on stage. It was going to get loud in here, very soon. On impulse, I leaned closer to Diane.

"This may seem a bit sudden." I said. "But I'd really like to take you to lunch, sometime. Would you go out with me?"

Diane smiled. "Somewhere other than Mexican?"

- "Of course!"

- "That sounds nice." she said. "Will you remember my number if I tell it to you?"

I nodded - emphatically.

- "737-5715." she said.

I immediately started singing it to myself. 737-5715, 737-5715 ... David Wilcox started talking, introducing 'My Eyes Keep Me in Trouble'. It's a catchy tune - hard to resist. Diane took my hand and dragged me out to dance. She didn't have to pull very hard.

Wilcox was singing: 'My eyes keep me in trouble, I want every woman I see'. Meanwhile, I was singing 737-5715, 737-5715 ...

We danced a couple more songs, until Diane looked over my shoulder, startled. I turned to see what she was looking at; it was a couple, on the edge of the dance floor, waving their arms at her.

- "My ride!" she yelled, into my ear. "I have to go!"

Then she placed both of her hands on my shoulders, and stood on tiptoes to bring her lips closer to my ear.

- "737-5715!" she yelled.

She weaved across the dance floor, toward her friends. Diane turned, just before she reached them. When she saw that I was still watching her - I hadn't moved - she smiled, and waved.

737-5715. Try saying that one thousand times in a row.

***

I took Diane to lunch. She was easy on the eyes, and easy to talk to. Time flew by, and it was over before I knew it.

- "I enjoyed that." I said.

- "Me too." she agreed.

- "Can I see you again?"

She smiled, but I could feel her pulling her back. "Wow - the first date isn't even over, and you're asking for a second?"

- "I'm sorry. I just meant ... that I enjoyed your company. I'd like to do it again."

- "Okay. Sure. You've got my number - give me a call."

We parted a bit awkwardly. I wasn't quite sure what had happened there.

I waited a couple of days, and called her again. I asked her if she wanted to have a coffee after one of her classes. She agreed to meet me.

- "And ... Ian?" she said. "I'm sorry if I was a bit frosty there, after our lunch. I can explain."

- "Okay."

- "I'll tell you when I see you." she promised.

I really liked the way Diane dressed for school: loose-fitting khaki pants, and a soft white shirt, which she wore untucked. Very casual, but I thought she looked fantastic. I told her so when we sat down with our coffees.

- "I'm sorry, Ian. I owe you an apology." she said.

- "You do?"

- "I was a bit cold, the other day. I overreacted." She lowered her head. "It's just that ... I thought that you were a womanizer, when I saw you at the restaurant, all those times."

- "A womanizer? Me?" Boy, did she have it wrong. "Why would you think that?"

- "You were always there with a different girl." said Diane.

A different girl? For a moment, I was nonplussed. Then I realized what she meant. I had taken Parvani there. And Simran. Nate and I had taken Danny and Deborah. I had also gone with Tanya. And Jen.

- "That's ... ah, they were friends. Just friends." I stammered. I thought of Jen. "Well, except for one." And then Tanya. "Or two." I was blushing.

Diane laughed again. She had the most delightful laugh - natural, and unforced, but still feminine. "Sure ..." she said. "For a while I thought you must be some kind of Casanova, with all those girls."

- "Oh, no. No." Not a Casanova. The furthest thing from that. If you only knew ...

- "So when you asked me out again, I kind of ... panicked, I guess. I thought you were just, you know - putting the moves to me. I was afraid I was just going to be the next notch in your belt."

- "I don't wear a belt." I said. 'I mean -"

She laughed. "I know. I realized afterwards that you weren't playing me. You're just what you seem to be: sincere, and earnest. And a little bit intense."

- "Ah ..." I wasn't sure how to respond to that.

She touched me on the arm. "It's alright, Ian. I like it."

"In fact, I want to ask you out next time. I'll call you."

Diane invited me to her favourite club. It was just a glorified bar, really, but the live music was excellent. She loved to see up and coming young bands, and it gave her a special thrill when some of them got recording contracts, or had a song playing on FM radio. Diane loved to dance, too.

I still couldn't believe that I had never noticed how sexy she was when she worked at the restaurant. I admitted it to her.

- "Well, you were always with a girl!" she laughed. "It would have been rude to check out your waitress. Besides, after I got hit on a few times, I started wearing different clothes. More ..."

- "Conservative?"

AspernEssling
AspernEssling
4,334 Followers