Jodie Carpenter

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"In less than a week I leave here. I know regardless of your promotion, you're still on active duty and I may never see you again. Find it in your heart to give me this one night, the only item I intend to remove are my boots. Please Uncle Martin."

My heart melted, how could I refuse, the nod of my head got me a squealing teenager welded to me for a few minutes as she kissed and hugged me at the same time. We finished our meal and watched what was left of the sun slip behind the mountain range; Jodie was never more than a foot from me at anytime as we sat watching the sun leave us.

I've been in firefights and fought for mine and my teams lives yet I was more scared of entering that tent than I was dealing with bullets bouncing around me. Jodie stood and her arm moved from her side and stopped, her hand palm upwards as I looked up she just smiled and waited. When my hand connected with hers she held on like it was a matter of life or death.

We climbed into our joined sleeping bags and once she felt me get comfortable she shimmied in real close and waited for the aftermath. When nothing happened she got real comfortable and her whole body just relaxed, sleep took her a few minutes later. Fear of an erection kept me awake long after her breathing took on the sounds of a peaceful sleep.

I swear the heart attack I had as I opened my eyes to see her staring back at me was real. The smile that followed and the movement of her body, filling in what little space there was between us caused me to hold my breath. Jodie's smile just got bigger as she held my face and kissed my cheek before unzipping our bag.

Her parting words as I watched her ass disappear out the tent were. "You can start breathing again Uncle Martin."

My ear picked up her giggling to herself as she walked to the edge of the clearing to find a bush she would be comfortable with using as a bathroom. By the time she had returned I had already started the fire and put the coffee on, we had breakfast and every time I looked towards her she still had that damn smile.

Our last meal on base was at Adele's house, the girls were upstairs talking while we set about making something to eat. The padre and his wife came by and joined us for dinner and we made Jodie cry when Adele gave her our going away present. A bag that she had lusted after for months, she hugged the padre and his wife when they left and disappeared upstairs again with Adele's daughter, Adele and I sat in the kitchen, the dishes all done and put away.

"Has she explained why yet?"

I shook my head.

"I've broached the topic with her and all I get is the same as before. I'm heading away to Europe for the next two years, she wants to stay in the States and concentrate on her education. We go round and round after that."

"Does she know what you will be doing?"

This time I looked hard at her.

"We both know that's not an option Adele."

"Then let her go to California, let her experience university life. Hell Martin in the three years she has lived here everyone could see she had changed and had both grown and become more grounded. You have to let go sometime Martin, perhaps she knew that before you did."

We heard the girls moving about upstairs and called it an evening. Jodie and I hugged Adele and walked to my car, we were in a hotel tonight by the airport since Jodie had the first flight out. She continued to keep her own plans to herself, I knew that if pushed she could well switch to remarking that she was now eighteen and thus could do as she pleased. Judging by the amount of phone calls between her and the lawyers over the last three months it was a distinct possibility.

As her flight was being called she turned to me and gave me a hug.

"Please Uncle Martin, stay alive."

That one sentence destroyed my whole speech about both enjoying her time at her father's university and behaving herself while she was there. As I pulled her away from me her eyes welled up, she clung to me for a moment before pushing herself away and running through the gate.

*******

Jodie and I only ever kept in touch via e-mail, not the best way to communicate with your niece but the first year of us being half way around the world from each other, we had little choice. I made sure that my leave would be timed for her summer break, my leave was canceled. She came to Europe for two weeks and I was sent back to Washington for an emergency briefing, Jodie told me she had a great time sightseeing but thought it a good idea we didn't make any more plans until I had finished my tour.

A year turned into two and was then extended to three and then four. My next tour sent me to Japan, Jodie was deep into exam time so other than our e-mails increasing, she decided that she wanted to stay at the university and cram for exams. Not realizing it then, but my time in the army was coming to an end, a training exercise put me in traction for three months and I agonized for days over telling Jodie. With her deep into her exams I just couldn't do that to her.

Although I was sent back to the states for more surgery I made sure that she wouldn't be contacted by the people I knew who also knew Jodie, after all her life was just starting. She didn't need the worry of traveling just to see me strapped to a bed with all these pins and wires in me. I would prefer her to remember me at least standing; pride can do strange things to people.

I loved my niece enough to vow that she should never see me like this; her life was just starting while mine was in the shit for some time to come. What I didn't take into account was the service doing the looking after me part.

*******

The pain was still very intense, the medication helped but it also meant I was out cold for hours at a time. Somewhere in my drug induced sleep I felt a slight pressure on my forehead, it got slightly wet and then the pressure left me in peace. Every now and then my body would cramp, the meds helped me and the pain was almost bearable, but for some reason my mind conjured up the image that if I opened my eyes, Jodie would be staring right back at me just like she did on our last hiking trip.

The rush of sadness washed over the pain for a moment giving me just a few moments of relief, from the physical pain at least. She was sat in a chair next to my bed when I woke my medical notes on her lap; she had glasses on while she was reading my notes. I never knew she needed glasses to read. Jodie pulled her glasses off and placed my notes on the edge of the bed, it was as she looked up she noticed me and the look on my face, she smiled. I wasn't having any of it.

"God damn it Jodie you're in the middle of exams, why do you think I didn't tell you, now you have to sit them all over again."

Her smile never faltered.

"So nice to see you too Martin; now if you will just reign in that temper of yours and let me speak."

Well I had nowhere else to go that was for certain.

"I was deemed an exception; the army contacted the university and explained the situation. The councilor talked to the higher powers and I did all my exams one after another and was then removed from university grounds. The army guaranteed the university that I would not communicate with anyone until all the exams were officially over and they agreed, so Martin, I'm waiting."

"For what?"

"Your apology, dumb ass."

We stared at each other, it was clear she wasn't backing down.

"When did you become such a potty mouth?"

For a moment her eyes seemed to un-focus before her face became neutral.

"That would have been last Monday at two o'clock when I was asked to go to the dean's office and a very nice uniformed army officer stood there and told me you were involved in a training accident."

A single tear trickled down her cheek, not once did she attempt to brush it away. It was like she was so deep in her own thoughts that for a moment she had forgotten I was even there.

"I don't remember anything else because I fainted and woke up surrounded by people."

My heart felt for her. I also knew her well enough to know the storm was coming. Yet her words were carried to me on a whisper.

"I was scared. For a moment when I saw him standing there I thought I had lost you and I was going to be all alone."

Again she took a breath and her whole manner seemed to stiffen for a moment, it was clear she wanted to say more. Her smile although tentative was slowly gracing her lips.

"Still that was then, this is now. Please say hello to your physiotherapist."

She watched me shake my head, her smile just got bigger.

"Oh I forgot to tell you didn't I, silly me, my bad. I changed my major to physiotherapy and minored in sports related injuries."

Jodie could clearly see my confusion and seemed to revel in it.

"So you see Martin between me and Dr. Hartmann, we have your welfare covered."

Something struck me and it was the second time I noticed it, so I just had to ask.

"When did I lose the title of uncle?"

Jodie's smile froze to her lips as she picked up my medical file and stood. She leaned over and kissed my cheek before she headed for the door.

"Jodie?"

This time she stopped; the door now open. She wouldn't turn around and that worried me.

"That would have been the day of my eighteenth birthday; it was reinforced the day of the training accident. You kept that knowledge from me and someday in the far off distant future I may forgive you for doing it. I can't lose you Martin, I refuse to lose you, there isn't anyone else."

She didn't move and I felt I had to say something.

"You had enough going on with your finals. I didn't want you to worry."

This time she turned her head towards me. I had seen that look once before, the anger with which she spoke told me so much.

"There you go assuming things about me again Martin." Jodie sighed and her anger eased. "You need rest, the meds you're on will kick in again shortly so this conversation will have to wait. Goodnight Martin."

Jodie closed the door and a few minutes later she was proved right.

I woke up being poked and prodded, when Dr. Hartmann noticed me awake she smiled and said something to someone behind her. Jodie then came into view, it was hard to describe what she looked like, the white gown was the same as Dr. Hartmann's her hair was held back by a grip allowing the pony tail fall between her shoulder blades.

The arm of a pair of her glasses hung out the top pocket along with a couple of pens. Her ID was clipped to her top pocket showing a picture of her that would have been taken a day or so ago.

"Oh good your awake. That's going to save me from repeating myself."

Dr. Hartmann took my file from Jodie once more before browsing through it, nodding her head to herself once or twice before handing my file back to Jodie. She then placed her hands into her pockets and looked down at me.

"When we got hold of you Captain you were pretty busted up. So far you have had three operations, both legs and pelvis, and when some of your strength has come back to you, I plan on at least two more. Maybe then I can give you a better idea of whether you can walk again much less return to any sort of duty."

"Don't sugar coat anything Doc."

The doctor looked slightly confused, she looked towards Jodie and then back at me.

"Miss Carpenter told me not to, she said you could take the truth, and since she's your niece who was I supposed to believe, her or the guy who spends most of his time in a med induced sleep?"

I could see her point just as I could also see the power exchange between them and me and that's what started me being just a little uncomfortable.

"Anyway, the painkillers will keep you going while the bones start to knit properly. I don't plan to carve you up again for a week or so, that doesn't mean if you don't improve or you relapse I won't take a knife to you earlier. Any questions?"

"Yes, will I ever play the piano again?"

Jodie started to laugh; Dr. Hartmann just looked really confused until Jodie whispered something in her ear. She went bright red and walked out of my room, followed by my niece shaking her head.

*******

Five months and four operations later I started physiotherapy, learning to walk as an adult was far more difficult this time. Pride, frustration and anger made me a difficult patient. Dr. Hartmann would come by to see how her work on the operating table was doing and to check with Jodie. I was Jodie's sole charge and the patience of that girl astounded me as she dealt with everything from my being weaned off of pain killers to the getting muscles, that hadn't been used in months back to something resembling good health.

By now I could walk with the aid of crutches and maybe four steps without them. Dr Hartmann came by one last time; gave a one more check up before telling me that she could do no more and it was now down to physiotherapy. That felt like a breath of fresh air, until I looked over her shoulder at Jodie. I thought I knew my niece, yet the woman stood behind Doctor Elizabeth Hartmann didn't look like Jodie; her eyes were distant, her face torn between sadness and anger.

She noticed me watching her and quickly bit down on her bottom lip trying to shake her thoughts away. The doc left and Jodie sat on the chair next to my bed.

"Martin I need some answers from you before we leave the hospital. What do you want?"

I felt my brow crease as I tried to understand her question.

"Do you want to be able to walk without the aid of crutches for the rest of your life? I can do that. Do you want to return to active service like you have been hiding from me the last four years? I'm not sure I can do that, and let you go again, if that's what you want."

For such a brief moment I saw that frightened child once again. I reached out and held her hand.

"When I came for you all those years ago Jodie, you knew I was a career soldier. I gave you a stark choice and all you said was deal. Will I get back to full fitness? I don't know. Will I be placed behind a desk for the rest of my service? I don't know. Will I be retired out of the service and go into corporate like many have before me? I don't know."

The child never left her eyes, they misted up as I talked, a tear even made it down her cheek but she listened to the very end of what I had said before she placed her hand more firmly into mine.

"Martin, please think about what you have said. You have to decide, but if you choose to return to active service and you want my help, then it comes with conditions that will have consequences."

I sighed first before agreeing to think about what I had said. As each statement crossed my mind, I thought seriously about them, and as each option evolved to its conclusion, only two things kept coming to my thoughts. I was, and always will be, a career officer and once Jodie had got me fit enough to return to duty she would be looking for another project.

"If this body can take it then I want to stay in the army Jodie. I know that hurts you but that is my life, I'm sure you have already given some thought to your own life."

That face came to her again, the look of sadness and anger and once again she bit down on her lip to hide it from me. Her mouth opened, the word 'deal' was just a whisper.

*******

Jodie collected me from the hospital a week later, she wouldn't tell me where we were going, when she got bored of me asking she simply reminded me that she was doing as I had asked of her.

We were more than an hour's drive from the hospital before she pulled into the drive of some real big house. Jodie let the side window down and pressed some buttons on a box halfway up the drive. It beeped once and the gates opened. When we pulled up outside a two story posh white house, a ramp was built on one side of the steps to the porch and then front door.

"Wow, who does this belong to?"

Jodie came around, put the wheelchair together and opened my door then helped me into it, my eyes looked around. The house was built on a slight hill so it overlooked the gate and the road beyond.

"I own it."

That remark brought me back to my senses. Jodie unlocked the door and gave me the grand tour.

"I'm the rich bitch Martin, remember the will. The folks who rented Daddies house liked it so much that they wanted first refusal if I was ever going to sell it. I gave them the market price and they signed, I didn't even get to stick a for sale sign out front."

She was silent for a while as we went from one room to another on the ground floor, as we moved out back Jodie showed me the pool and the grounds beyond.

"I thought I set my realtor an impossible task, it had to be a secluded house preferably one story but two if it had disabled access to the second floor. A sunken pool was a must as well. When she told me she had found this place I took one look and said perfect."

Jodie told me the history of the house, it belonged to the coach of the football team in the city, it already had its own gym and he added the pool later. His wife developed MS so he then added ramps and access to upstairs. The franchise moved cities a year ago and the house had been empty for the last six months.

"All I had to do was bring in new equipment for the gym and get the cleaners in. I got an interior designer to sort out the furnishing and this is the result."

Something wasn't right about all this and I waited until Jodie sat down out back so we could talk. It felt like she knew this conversation was coming.

"Jodie you can't do this, that's your money your folks willed it to you for you to have a better life."

She had that face on her again, the anger and sadness took her and wouldn't let go this time. Jodie kept her eyes focused on the trees in the distance, it seems on the day of her nineteenth birthday the lawyers sent for her and told her what she was worth. My niece asked to see every piece of documentation they held regarding the dealings her family had with the law firm.

She was sat in a private office all day as box after box came up from the basement and she read everything, as I watched Jodie my heart went to her. I had lived with what she had discovered, she was still a child at the time so didn't know any of it. She knew what her folks were worth when I was old enough to go to college and on to ROTC training. Yet I had to hold down two jobs and get a scholarship to keep me in there.

Jodie read the documents that allowed the lawyers to trickle money into my account to keep her while she was with me on base and yet the fortune the lawyers sat on just kept growing. The smug look the lawyers gave her as she left that office made her so angry she walked across the street and hired their competitor, and then she demanded that everything was transferred to them and a new account opened.

She spent a whole day cutting her father's law firm off at the knees. When she was finished she got on the first plane back to college. The anger within her worried me; no one should go around with this much baggage. She had run out of things to say, I knew she was waiting for me.

"They had their reasons Jodie. I got out from under and I only went back the once to see if anything had changed; they loved you Jodie don't ever forget that."

"But why did they hate you so much, you were his brother."

This time I shrugged my shoulders. I had thought about that very question from time to time and never came up with a distinctive answer.

"I sometimes think your mom and dad only had so much love in them, what they didn't give to each other they gave to you, perhaps I was at the end of the line too often. I truly can't answer that question for you Jodie. But you need to forgive them; please don't carry this anger over your folks, with you all your life, that's baggage you don't need."

This time she looked at me, her eyes gave her away.