Karma Ain't Always a Bitch Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Are we going to get moving, or are we going grocery shopping?" Amy asked sweetly.

Mark hated grocery shopping and if he was single the mini-mart where he got gas would be the only stop he would make.

"We're going, we're going."

"Vanessa and I can pack up my stuff and we should have just enough time to get ready," Amy said as they started moving again.

Mark lost himself in the flow of the girl's conversation, letting the mundane massage his battered nerves. By the time they got to "Jack's" place, he was feeling a little less frazzled and slid back into the conversation when he heard his name.

"Mark!" Vanessa had been trying to get his attention and had to resort to yelling to do so.

"Umm, present?" was all could manage.

"Would you bring those empty boxes that are in the attic of the garage over when you get the truck rolling again? Amy doesn't have any," Vanessa asked.

"Absotutely, anything for the two most beautiful ladies in the world," Mark gushed, finishing with a laugh.

************

Mark pulled up to the house and noticed the red LED above the door to the house and the one on the garage glowing. Either he didn't set the alarms or someone had decided to go on a tour, uninvited.

Pulling Jimmy's .45 from the console, Mark made sure there was round in the chamber and mentally flipped a coin to see which place to check first. The garage won, and he soon found himself crouching against the wall next to the door. Flipping the safety off, he reached up and opened the door, rolling into the opening on the floor, swinging his pistol in an arc while scanning the room.

He had completed half the circuit, when his eyes slammed back to the desk.

"Easy Mark!" came the bass rumble from his third best friend.

Dropping the muzzle and clicking the safety on, Mark got to his feet and grabbed two beers before greeting his friend.

"Fuck me running, Jack. I thought you were at the cabin," Mark started, "plus, I don't think your sister would approve of me perforating you. We need to talk."

"First, that was pretty good, but next time wait for backup. I know she wouldn't approve of you getting dead on her. Second, yes we do need to talk. And third, open that beer and get another, there's something you need to see," Jack finished in a tone that said he would peel his eyelids off and sit on Mark to make sure it happened.

Mark downed the first one and was turning back from getting his second, when he stopped and stared. Sitting in the corner was one of the bigger German Shepherds he had ever seen and he was watching everything, waiting.

"Is he part of that talk, Jack?" pointing to the canine looking at him like a chew toy.

"Just part, now sit down," Jack said as he opened a laptop and put a thumb drive in the port. He pushed play and watched his friend, sorry to have to put him through what was about to happen

Mark's eyes widened as it dawned on him that Jack wanted him to watch the video of Vanessa. He looked at Jack and started to get up to leave.

"Mark, you need to see this."

"Fuck off!" was all that Mark could push through the red haze that engulfed him.

"Godammit Mark! You need to see this," he said as Mark was headed to the door. "Chief." Was the only other thing he said, but it was enough. The dog had come to its feet and the low rumbling growl could be felt more than heard.

Mark stopped, quivering with rage at Jack and embarrassment for Vanessa. He hadn't wanted anyone else to see that to spare her the extra bullshit. Turning on his heel, he stared at Jack, waiting.

"Did you look closely at this video, Mark?" Jack asked, waiting for a reply.

"No," was all Mark said. Why would he want to let the thing rip new holes through him?

"I need you to look at one still, and then if you want to leave and hate me you can. But you're going to look at it, one way or the other," Jack said in a tone that wasn't going to take no as an answer.

Mark walked stiffly back to where Jack sat and glanced at the monitor and was turning back to walk out as something caught his eye. Ignoring Jack and the dog, Mark looked closely and felt his world collapse again.

Jack was watching Mark's face as understanding sunk in and saw his friend sit down heavily and bury his face in his hands. The girl in the video and the picture wasn't Vanessa, she could be her twin sister, but that was beside the point.

Mark felt like all of the air had been sucked out of the room as he saw what Jack was pointing too. The girl was eerily similar to his wife, but he wasn't in any shape to tell the difference when he first saw it. He had jumped to a conclusion that was so far off and had treated Vanessa like a whore and royally fucked up his relationship with the Swanson's. The ass whipping that he was about to get from Jack for sleeping with Amy was mild to what should happen.

"Jack, I fucked up so bad. Just start beating the shit out of me so I don't have to wait," Mark said looking at the floor, noticing the second beer. Might as well get some alcohol moving to soak up some of the pain he thought.

"What are you talking about?" Jack asked.

"Amy," was all Mark could get out.

"What about her?"

"The night when we got home got out of hand, and one thing led to another, and...," Mark trailed off.

"So you two slept together?" Jack asked.

"Yeah, you could say that."

Mark looked up wide-eyed as Jack started laughing.

"Everything that has happened in the last two days and you are sweating something I thought had happened 15 years ago?" Jack said as he stopped to breathe again. "From what I hear, the only damage was a hole in the table and a few hickeys. If it would have been me the house would have been in shambles; and the last thing I would worry about is sparing someone's feelings"

Mark just looked at Jack, stunned. How did Jack know all of this?

"What do you mean 15 years?" came out, surprising Mark and sending the big man into another laughing fit.

"Everyone thought you two had slept together when you moved in. Hell, even mom thought so and wasn't bothered. You two acted like you had, so?" Jack tapered off.

"Not until two nights ago," Mark said shaking his head, feeling a little relieved and disappointed in the absence of an ass whipping. "I treated Vanessa like shit and then Amy. They're both going to hate me now. And how did you know all about this anyway?"

"Well, let's just say a little birdie told the XO when we surfaced about our buddy Chad and friends, who asked me to make sure things didn't go too wrong. When Scott left with the drives, the crypto guys looked through it and found enough to put those scumbags out of our misery. Turns out that they were using the house as a depot for women they got hooked on drugs before they sent them down the road. That video and the rest that you saw were so you would kick Vanessa to the curb, killing two birds with one stone. Vanessa for getting away and you for getting Chad tossed back in jail that night," Jack paused to let that set in.

"They didn't plan on us coming back early or the connection you had with Vanessa. Frank and the federal guys are almost done rounding up all of Chad's buddies, almost being the keyword. That's where Chief comes in; meet your new security system. He was retiring and will be the perfect fit. The girls have already passed the "sniff test" and he would have eaten you when you came in the door if you didn't," Jack finished with a grin and a tap of his bottle. "I briefed the CO this morning just after you left and found out the rest."

"When did Chief meet them?" Mark asked.

"A month ago. I talked to the guy that's in charge of the working dogs and had him set up a meet and greet with Chief. He loved them and so on. Anyway, you were the last one. Go ahead and get him over here so we can finish this and I can finally get to the cabin," Jack said.

Mark called Chief, who came across the floor like he owned the place, looking at him like he was weighing him on a set of scales. Something must have tipped them in Mark's favor, the big dog lying down in front of Mark to watch the door.

"Shit. Amy and Vanessa are at your house alone," Mark started getting up, Jack stopping him.

"Frank has a cruiser on either entrance to the access road," Jack answered.

Mark sat down trying to get used to the plate shift his world had just taken. He was confused why Vanessa had been so distraught. Why didn't she just tell him? Then he replayed the events in his head the words he was shaping into a flail running through his mind. "Mark, it's not what it seems. I was so alone." She had tried and all he did was ignore her.

"So what had Vanessa so worked up?" Mark asked.

"Chad and his friends were basically running a brothel at your house, dabbling in a bit of human trafficking with a sprinkle of running a dope ring. She was told that they would tell the command about you being involved if she said anything about it. From what one of them "volunteered", Vanessa hid in the little bedroom and only came out to go to work," Jack said.

Mark looked up into his friend's eyes, and asked the question he thought he already had the answer to, but had to ask anyway. "Did Vanessa ever...," he trailed off, not able to finish.

"No Mark, not once. If it makes you feel better, Scott was the one that saw it first. Those assholes did it that way to fuck with your mind, but the videos that are on that hard drive had some under-aged kids and a few that will seal up some murder cases. As long as Vanessa gives a statement, there won't be a record or any jail time," Jack said as he watched the load that had been imposed on Mark's shoulders lift. The self-imposed one was still there.

Reaching into his pocket Jack came out with two things; a set of keys and satellite phone.

"Are your babies as fast as they look?" Jack asked.

"Faster, they've got the new powertrains that are in the racing Corvettes; six speed gearboxes, the whole nine yards. Why?"

"Just wondered. Take these for the girls then. Just do me a favor and don't dust off the security guys." Jack held a hand up as Mark started objecting, "My big sister and little brother are in the car, not to mention my sister-in-law. It's only when you guys leave the house and until we round up the band of merry men. Do you have any plans for tonight?"

Mark filled him in on what was on tap and stopped as Jack brought some small boxes from behind where he was sitting. When he saw them all he could do is shake his head and laugh.

"Might need these then," was all Jack said with a grin.

"Ok. I'm not going to ask anything about all of that. All I want to know is that there isn't anything in the house," Mark said.

"Nope. Les and his boys already went through and checked. And no, they didn't leave anything extra. That was the one concession they gave me, the house and garage were off limits, but until we get Chad, you're going to have to deal with some security. They're good and shouldn't be conspicuous and they will let you know what they will be driving."

"The phone has the security detail's numbers and mine programmed. If you even think someone has farted at you I want you to promise to let someone know. Don't try to do anything; that's what we pay these guys for. Deal?" Jack finished.

"Like I have a choice?" Mark said with a small laugh. Actually he was relieved on so many levels. The girls would be safe and Chad and his animals would soon be off the streets and out of their collective hair.

"How about helping me put the wheels back on Amy's truck. I need to get those boxes," pointing to the attic, "over so she can bring stuff over."

Mark was shocked at how good it felt to have his friend there to talk to, even if they had just shared a piece of underwater real estate for the last four months.

"Jack, there's no way I can thank you for everything. I'm afraid I've still got a very interesting meeting when I get back over there, but that's then. Now all I can say is thanks," Mark said.

"Just keep the girls safe and be smart for a while. That's all the thanks I need," Jack said and swatted Mark's hand away that he was raising to shake hands, and pulled him into a bear hug. "Remember, call if you suspect anything. I don't want to have to be the one to tell those two that you were trying to be a hero."

"Fair enough," was all Mark said.

"I'm outta here. Chief is already good with either place you want to leave him. I would suggest the house. Just call him when you come in through the door, otherwise he may eat your face," Jack finished as he was heading for the door and the belated trip to the cabin.

"Be safe and thanks again Jack," Mark said with a wave.

Mark cleaned up and sat down on the couch, Chief taking up his spot between the door and his new human.

"Well Chief, welcome aboard sir," and got up to take him up to the house. When he went in he saw three big dog beds spread throughout the rooms. Holding his hand out to the dog, Chief slid his head under it accepting the ear scratching.

"You've got the watch until I get back Chief," and with a final scratch Mark headed over for the mea culpa that was in his immediate future.

Remembering his "friends", Mark kept to the paved roads and didn't play like he normally would have on the way back over. He was pleased to see the cruiser sitting at the entrance as he started toward the house. If anything happened to the ladies after everything that had already happened, he didn't think he would make it back again. Backing into the driveway Mark let himself in and was confronted by two very sweaty and semi-irritated ladies.

"Baby, we aren't going to have time to get ready if this takes much longer," Vanessa said.

"It takes some of us a little longer than twenty minutes to get ready sweetheart," Amy chimed in.

"I know, but there is something I have to do first, the rest is going to have to wait." Pulling both girls down to sit on the couch he went on. "Jack was at the house when I got there." he said looking at the floor. "I." Was all he managed to get out.

"Mark?" The two concerned women said almost in unison.

"I'm so sorry. I just hope I haven't ruined my relationships with you. I don't think I could deal with losing either one of you. It's almost like there are two holes inside me; one that says Vanessa and the other Amy. I would sooner cut my arm off as hurt you, I'm sorry," winding to a halt.

Mark felt fingers lifting his face as he looked into the faces of two confused and slightly worried ladies.

"What are you talking about, Mark?" Vanessa said as Amy nodded her head in puzzled agreement.

"Jack forced me to watch the video again. Vanessa, I'm so sorry. You tried to tell me, but I ignored you and ended up no better than Jimmy. And Amy, I just don't know where to start," stopping when a finger was put across his lips.

"Mark, I heard them talking about that just being the wedge to drive between us. But it didn't work did it?" Vanessa said, waiting for the shake of his head. "There was plenty of other stuff that I had to keep silent about for you to throw me out a hundred times over waiting if that didn't work. I should be the one saying I'm sorry baby."

Mark felt another finger turn his head toward the blonde.

"The way I pounced you in the garage was as close to raping a guy you can get Mark. We have been talking it over; I'll understand if you want me to stay here." Amy finished with a quivering lip.

Mark looked from one set of tear filled eyes to the next. "No Amy, I'm asking each of you for your forgiveness and if you can find a place for me. I'm the one that started this mess."

"Baby, Amy and I have talked it all through. We were ok with how it was earlier," glancing at the nodding blonde before continuing, "that is if you are." Vanessa finished, almost holding her breath.

"Well then, I guess I have something for you then. I was going to wait until tonight, but I think now would be better." Mark reached back and pulled out the boxes Jack had given him.

The first box had two chains in it. One had Mark's oblong wedding band on it and the second had the diamond from Vanessa's engagement ring on a pendant.

"This is in fact yours Vanessa, and I'm so sorry I didn't listen to you." Mark paused long enough to clasp the chain around her neck and went on. "This one is my reminder of what happens when you let the rage inside take over." And he placed that one around his neck with shaking fingers.

Taking a deep breath, he went on, more nervous than he ever could remember. He heard both ladies surprise as he cracked the other box. It held identical 3 carat engagement rings.

"I know I can't do this, and won't blame either of you if you say no, but I would be honored if you would wear these. It makes me think of the way I see each of you, beautiful on the inside and out." Mark waited as the girls looked from the rings to his face, each one with tears streaking their cheeks. They looked at each other for a second before turning back to Mark with huge smiles and happy nods. Mark's heart soared as he placed them on their fingers getting answering kisses.

The girls started talking to each other and holding them out in the light so they could look at them and stopped when they noticed Mark still where they had left him. He had another box in his hand, and it was shaking even harder. When he looked into Vanessa's eyes she smiled and nodded. This one had two identical and one similar wedding band.

With one last look at Vanessa, Mark started. "Amy, there is no way to do this legally, but I don't need that to know that I love you and need you in my life. I would walk through fire if you asked and after everything you've seen me through, there's nothing that you could do to me that would change that in any way. May I?" Mark stopped looking into Amy's eyes.

Amy glanced at Vanessa for a sign. She was already spinning and there was no way she would do this without knowing it was ok with the pretty brunette. She got a big smile and nod as Vanessa pulled her into a hug and whispered "welcome to the family" in her ear. The tears started flowing quicker when she looked back at Mark, shifting to a flood as he slipped the ring onto her finger along with the diamond.

"I love you Mark," was all she said as she kissed him.

"I love you too Amy. I can't promise anything other than to try my best," Mark said, wiping her tears away.

After another kiss, Mark took another of the smaller bands and took Vanessa's hand with a deep breath. "Baby, I promised to be with you through thick or thin; but I bailed on you when you needed me most. All I can promise is to not let it happen again and would be honored if you let me try to make it right the second time. Please?"

Vanessa had started nodding when he took her hand and didn't stop until her ring was back where it belonged. She felt whole again when it slipped into place. It might be a new band, but it meant so much more this time. She had always had joint occupancy with Amy in Mark's heart and shared her happiness with her two best friends.

Mark waited for them to settle back into a flutter, and took out the band that was the mate to theirs. He held it up and showed it to them. "I can't promise to listen all the time or say the right thing. About all I can promise is to be the best man that I can be for each of you. There isn't anyone else that I could picture ever being with besides the two of you and I'm asking permission to wear "your" ring."

Mark saw both women nod and slipped his band on, succumbing to the tears that he had been holding back, and felt their hands pulling him up onto the couch between them.

The three sat together soaking in the peace that had settled over their troubled hearts and minds. It was almost like an extra buffer was in place when all three were there.