Kellie and Brad Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
drteetho
drteetho
190 Followers

Jennifer would have agreed to a point, but she would claim until her dying day that it was mostly due to the bravery of her forever beloved, Heather Nelson, that things worked out as they did.

It was the day the two of them came out of the closet. The day where they let the rest of the team -- Kellie, Sandra, and Jen's sister Amber -- know that not only were they both lesbians, but they were both deeply in love with each other.

The immediate acceptance of those three wonderful women took a huge weight off the couple's shoulders. They believed it played a large role in their team's success. It also brought them all closer together, if that were even possible. It strengthened their love and faith in each other. Not only did Jennifer and Heather know they would love each other forever, they knew they would be friends with Kellie, Sandra and Amber forever. Their bonds were now eternally unbreakable.

After the excitement and celebrations of their team's championship had died down, Jennifer and Heather sat down and drew up a plan to come out to the other people they cared about. Since Amber already knew their story, they decided it would be easier for them to start with the rest of Jennifer's family.

That decision led to a very successful outcome. Like her sister, Jennifer's parents had suspected that she might well be gay. Both Brent and Renee Janik were relieved their eldest daughter finally felt comfortable enough to admit the truth about her sexual orientation. They were proud of her courage, and they were happy for her that she found a wonderful woman to fall in love with in Heather.

The Janiks considered Heather to be an honorary daughter, because she had been friends with Jennifer for so long. They watched her grow up in front of their eyes as they welcomed her frequent visits to their house for dinners and overnight sleepovers with Jennifer.

Brent and Renee accepted Jennifer and Heather's relationship without reservations and expressed their love of them both. Similar to the scene when the young lesbian couple came out to their teammates, the talk ended with a happy and emotional group hug with Jennifer and Heather feeling the strong love and support from the rest of the Janik family.

Heather's family was a different story.

The Nelsons reacted with outright shock at their youngest child's news. Heather was inconsolable the night that she disclosed this news to them. She was convinced she would be ostracized and hated by everyone in her family forever. Not even Jennifer could help her feel better.

The next day improved her outlook, but only slightly. On the one hand, Heather's mother, Anne, was the quickest to recover from her shock. She told her daughter the next day she had accepted the reality, and professed her support and love for Heather.

But on the other hand her father couldn't handle the knowledge that his daughter was a lesbian. He didn't totally reject Heather; she was still his little girl and he still loved her. But instead of accepting her sexual orientation, he avoided dealing with it altogether, apparently preferring to live in denial. Since then, when Heather talked to her parents, anytime the topic came up Mr. Nelson either changed the subject or chose not to respond at all.

Her siblings were even worse. Heather's older sister was overly image conscious in her world of high finance and higher social standing. She was convinced having a lesbian sister would be bad for her image, so she slowly but surely cut all ties with Heather. Meanwhile Heather's brother had married a woman who came from a very religious family. The woman declared Heather an abomination in the eyes of her god and forbade her husband from having anything to do with her. Heather's brother was made of a weak constitution, so he meekly complied with his wife's wishes.

Anne Nelson hugged her daughter after these encounters and asked her to have faith that the rest of the family would eventually see the light. Heather was grateful for her mother's love and acceptance, glad that she at least had that.

She also appreciated her mother's attempts to cheer her up but she was under no illusions. She knew her father still loved her but was uncomfortable with the truth and so he would be more distant than before. Maybe he would come around... or maybe he wouldn't. And her relationship with her siblings was almost certainly damaged beyond repair.

Heather was very glad to have the backing of her friends and Jen's family, and she was forever grateful for the undying love of her forever beloved, Jennifer Janik. It wouldn't completely remove the pain she felt from those in her family letting her down, but it was more than enough to soften the blow.

Soon after the family drama was dispensed with, Jennifer and Heather had a serious talk about what to do when it came to their world at large. They were comfortable enough to hold hands and kiss in public but decided they didn't want to draw more attention to themselves by flaunting their sexuality too openly. Most people were polite enough to not react when the two did engage in their small public displays of affection. There were a few looks of outrage and snide comments, and there were one or two typical male chauvinists who ogled them lewdly and made crude suggestions along the lines of the two women needing a real man to please them. These reactions were unpleasant but thankfully rare, and generally the two women were able to let these things roll off their back.

Being part of a successful curling team meant they were in the Canadian public eye to some degree. The sport might not have quite the same elevated status as the national passion of hockey, but it is undoubtedly one of the most popular and followed sports in the nation. Even so, Jennifer and Heather didn't fool themselves into thinking the standing of their sport and their team made them superstars. Besides, it was Kellie who as skip was also the team's spokesperson. Rarely did any of the other members give solo media interviews or appearances, and they were fine with that, more than happy in fact to let their skip take that burden on her own. Occasionally Jennifer was asked to do an interview for television, but those instances were always during the midway point of a broadcasted match and were always to discuss the match in progress and nothing more.

Jennifer and Heather did not know anyone else in the curling community who had come out in public, even though they believed the odds were they weren't the only gay athletes competing in their sport today. A quick search of the internet revealed nothing more about gay curlers other than some recreational leagues in big Canadian cities created expressly for gay and lesbian people. They noted with some disappointment that their city was not among those listed.

After some discussion and soul-searching they both decided they were not ready to be trailblazers in their sport when it came to their sexuality. Instead they wanted the focus to remain on their team and their sporting talent and accomplishments. But if somehow someone in the curling community found them out they would not run and hide. They would confirm the truth about themselves and their relationship, and then let the chips fall where they may.

The couple discreetly sought out the city's gay and lesbian support group. They heard stories from some of the members, some of which were truly horrific and shocked them greatly. Included were tales of abandonment and abuse from family and so-called friends, from the people that were supposed to care for and love them. In many cases it led to the people affected seeking refuge in alcoholism, drug use, and other forms of self-abuse and addiction. Most of the people telling these stories had survived their ordeals, finding love and acceptance from the support group and from other true friends and lovers. Unfortunately, some stories were of other people who did not survive intact.

Jennifer and Heather realized just how fortunate they were. Heather's coming out in particular was not without heartache, but the two had friends and a network of love and acceptance not everyone else was able to count on. The members of the support group did not begrudge the two their relative good fortune, and praised them for having the inner strength to come out. They provided Jennifer and Heather with help and advice they valued and trusted.

Jennifer and Heather's lives were already very busy, but they found some spare time to give back to the support group as thanks for the assistance they received, and in sympathy for those less fortunate than them. As part of their giving back they made plans to one day start their own recreational curling league for gays and lesbians. The leaders of the support group thanked them for their generous efforts, and those among them who were novices to the sport poked fun at themselves for their anticipated difficulties in learning the basics.

Both brides-to-be came to the same conclusion. The last four-plus years were an emotional rollercoaster. There were great highs and heartbreaking lows. They may have wished for different outcomes in some cases, but they regretted exactly none of their decisions. They were better and stronger people after it all, and as long as they had each other at their side, they could do anything.

A knock on each of their doors brought an end to their spells of reflection. Amber let her sister know it was almost time to start, and Kellie and Sandra teamed up to let Heather know the same thing. Amber saw the look on Jennifer's face and asked what was wrong. Jennifer said nothing was wrong; she was just thinking about the last few years, both the good and the bad. Kellie and Sandra noticed a similar look to Heather and asked her the same question. She gave the same answer. Amber gave Jennifer a comforting hug. Kellie and Sandra gave Heather a comforting hug of their own.

When the three re-emerged and took their places as witnesses to the wedding at the front of the room, they took a look at the people gathered. It was a smaller crowd compared to Amber's wedding last week. That was partly by design, partly by circumstance. Kellie, Sandra and Amber smiled all the same, anticipating that this ceremony would be no less happy than last week.

Kellie looked for Brad and quickly found him sitting a couple rows from the front. Russ and Rachel were sitting nearby. In between them were E.J. and Kaitlyn. The kids were somewhat restless, and Brad was doing his best to settle them down. Kellie waived at them all, and they all waived back.

Rachel glanced at Russ and he looked back at her. She lovingly held and squeezed his hand, and he gave her a kiss. She smiled at him and thought about how her love for him had grown.

Rachel Joanette moved from the city to the small town she now called home a little over two years ago. Six months before that she divorced a man she once loved. He once loved her too, but over time he grew to love booze and gambling more. She kept waiting for him to change; instead he got worse, and finally she had no choice but to leave him. Rachel was at least glad she listened to one of her friends, a financial planner, and set aside some money in a fund her ex-husband couldn't touch so she wouldn't be completely broke.

After the quickie divorce was finished she went to her manager at Canada Post and applied for a transfer. When a job posting at the small town opened she took it. She would miss her friends but reasoned it was only a short drive away, and besides, she really needed a new start.

Rachel hadn't expected to find love so soon, especially in a town so small with so few eligible bachelors. But when she met Russ Sinclair she found him to be very attractive. He was always a perfect gentleman to her, though she couldn't help but notice him one day secretly checking her out. He kept doing this for a few weeks. She secretly enjoyed teasing him in that time, though she hoped he would eventually ask her for a date. In fact she was about ready to make the first move herself when he finally did ask her out. She found it very cute and endearing that he was so nervous, so she was more than happy to put him out of his misery and tell him yes.

Their relationship started well but quickly hit some rough patches. Rachel sensed that Russ was in some ways "damaged goods". Instead of bailing she took a chance and stuck with him. She was rewarded for that decision before too long, as he seemed to get over some of his hang-ups and started to communicate and share more of himself with her. Some of what Russ told Rachel about his past was sad and heart-wrenching, but sharing it was necessary for him in many ways. She accepted him, he was better able to accept himself, and with that their relationship bloomed into something really beautiful.

Rachel was pleased Russ had asked her to accompany him to these weddings. She very much enjoyed any chances she had to get to know his friends. One lesson she learned when she was young was that you could learn a lot about a man by the company he kept. Unfortunately she had to re-learn that lesson after her experiences with her ex.

This time things were clearly different. Russ's friends were wonderful people. The love they had for him and each other was honest, real and substantial. Rachel was pleased they had so quickly accepted her into their circle. Getting to know his friends only strengthened her feelings for Russ.

She was not put off knowing today's ceremony was a lesbian wedding. She was very much a "live and let live" kind of person, and did not hold any prejudice against homosexual people. Her attitude was, to a large degree, shaped by Valerie Swearinger, her best friend growing up.

Rachel was surprised when Val came out to her one day while they were still in their final year of high school. She had to take some time to think about what it all meant. The more she thought, the more she understood how much of a risk Val took in coming out. She asked herself if Val being lesbian changed how she thought of her. She decided it didn't; she was and always would be very fond of Val.

So Rachel concluded it didn't matter who Val slept with, with the exception of Rachel herself. It was important to make it clear to her friend that her tastes in potential partners ran strictly towards men, but she realized it was even more important to do so tactfully.

Val was relieved when Rachel told her she accepted her true nature, and in turn she respected her friend's being straight. Val then joked she wouldn't have slept with Rachel anyway, pretending to claim she wasn't attractive enough. Rachel pretended to be offended. They both laughed and carried on with their lives. Their friendship was just as tight as before and was the same in every way, except any discussions they had over Val's love life were now about girls instead of guys.

Conveniently, Val was a marriage commissioner for the province, and she was scheduled to officiate this wedding. She and Rachel hadn't seen each other for a while but still talked frequently on the phone. They were both very happy they would be at this ceremony and looked forward to seeing each other and catching up on each other's lives.

So Rachel was shocked to see someone else approach the lectern set up at the front of the room, from where the wedding officiator would conduct the ceremony. Her smile quickly turned into a frown. Russ noticed the change in his partner's demeanour right away.

"You OK, Rachel?" he asked.

"Something's very wrong," she replied.

"What do you mean?"

"You know my friend Val?"

Russ recalled the barbecue they attended earlier in the summer with many of Rachel's friends from the city. "Yes, I do remember her. She seems like a very nice person."

"You're right about that, she is a good person and great friend."

"Oh, wait... Rachel, didn't you say that she is supposed to be officiating this wedding?"

"Thank you, Russ, I'm glad you remembered. But it doesn't look like she's here, and I don't know why. I have no idea who this guy is, or why he's here instead of Val. It's not like her to no-show a wedding, especially a lesbian wedding. She's a strong proponent of same-sex marriage, and in everything she does she's very reliable. Something is definitely wrong and I don't like it."

The man at the lectern spoke. "Ladies and gentlemen, friends and family, your attention please, the ceremony will now start."

"Do you think something came up and she had to cancel?" Russ whispered to Rachel.

She said, "It's possible, but I don't think so. I know she would have told me if she had to change her schedule."

She saw the man at the lectern nod, and Jennifer and Heather's fathers left their seats and exited the conference room. She continued to watch the man, to see if she could find any hint as to what he might do, when she heard Russ whisper again.

"What if it was something last minute, like an emergency?"

Rachel shrugged. "It's possible, I guess. Now that you mention that, I'm really worried."

"Sorry, hon."

"No, it's OK. I'm glad you said something, actually. I'm going to find out where Val is. I'm calling her right now."

"Better do it quick, here come the brides."

Nodding, Rachel took out her smartphone and made the call. Russ found his attention split in two directions. Part of him observed Rachel's half of the conversation. From what he could tell Val was physically OK, but something unpleasant had clearly happened. The other part noticed Jennifer hand-in-hand with her father, and Heather hand-in-hand with hers. All four walked down the aisle together. Jennifer and Heather looked like they couldn't be happier. Brent beamed with pride for his daughter and her partner, while Mr. Nelson's expression was decidedly neutral.

Russ heard Rachel end the call and curse under her breath. "Well?" he asked.

"She's pissed," Rachel answered. "She's sure this guy's up to no good."

"How so?"

"Someone vandalized Val's car this morning. Slashed all four of her tires. She just finished giving a statement to the police. Anyway, she can't prove it, but she has a strong suspicion this guy is involved somehow."

The man at the lectern spoke again. "Ladies and gentlemen, friends and family, please be seated."

"That's terrible!" Russ said in hushed tones. "Why would he do that?"

"Val doesn't know this guy that well," said Rachel, "but she's seen enough about him to know he has an agenda. And it's probably bad news for your friends."

Russ shook his head. He couldn't picture anyone being so underhanded, so willing to ruin someone's dream day. And for what?

He was about to say something when he noticed Rachel's phone vibrating in her hand. She answered, and he listened to one side of a spirited discussion. He looked over at Brad. His friend had been too preoccupied with his kids to overhear any of his conversation with Rachel. Now Brad, E.J. and Kaitlyn, like everyone else, were paying attention to the ceremony. Russ had a sinking feeling that they were soon in for a very rude surprise.

The man intoned, "We are gathered here today to witness the marriage of Jennifer Janik and Heather Nelson." As he was doing so Rachel's latest call ended.

"So where is Val now?" Russ asked.

"She's on her way over," Rachel answered. "Her manager from the City is giving her a ride. She said this guy thought the boss was out of town this weekend but thankfully he was mistaken. He also apparently assumed Val would be too cowed over what happened to her to do anything about it, but he clearly doesn't know her very well. Val says her manager is very understanding and just as worried about what this guy might do as she is, and so he was only too willing to help."

"Hope she gets here soon."

Then the man took a deep breath and announced, "And... no. I can't do this. I won't do this! This is not happening. This wedding will not take place today. Not on my watch!"

drteetho
drteetho
190 Followers