Love Will Lead You Back

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Somewhere out there

Beneath the pale moonlight

Someone's thinking of me

And loving me tonight.

During Christmas with his family and the subsequent New Year's holiday, Cameron couldn't stop thinking about Emily. Hell, he'd even resorted to calling the doctor of desperate love by phoning in to the Delilah show. He'd only hoped no one recognized his voice or listened to her show like he did frequently, after his kids went to bed. Then he remembered Deb told Emily that he listened to Delilah's show. Cam hoped Emily wasn't listening. He sounded so pathetic.

+++

January 2015

The weeks of Christmas and New Year's flew by, with his kids—Amber, and Amanda. His girls were his precious gifts. They were the apple pie and ice cream of his dreams and life. He had confused thoughts about Emily, but decided, it would be better to risk getting hurt in the game, than warm the bench. He missed having a partner to share life.

Emily arrived around mid-day Monday, January 5. Deb picked her up at the airport, and quickly turned the conversation to Cam. "I told him you checked his boxes Emily. Now you can be mad at me, but only if you're disappointed with him asking you out."

"Why are you so focused on getting us together?" Emily asked, and felt her tension rising. She was secretly thrilled Deb decided to step outside of her arbitrarily, rigidly drawn dating lines.

"You make a cute couple." Deb responded immediately.

"You said that before. I don't understand it. What do you see, that I don't?" Emily asked probing for more details.

"I see a successful but lonely woman. I never hear stories about who you're dating, the great weekend you had, or great sex when you come in on Monday. Why is that?" Deb challenged her.

Emily sheepishly said, "That's because I haven't exactly had the best luck with men, and my weekends are spent doing laundry and cleaning my condo. Pretty exciting huh? Not." Emily admitted in defeat.

"Well maybe that could change—with the right person, I mean. And before you say anything, you and Cam are nowhere close in the organization. I know you're dead set against dating anyone in the company. But if he asked you, what could it hurt to say, 'yes'. You might be surprised and have a great time." Deb put all her best rehearsed moves forward during their ride to the office.

"You seem to have this all figured out don't you? I mean I'm not exactly an 'old maid', or desperate."

"I never said you were either of those. I think you used the words 'not exciting'. Is that any way to go through life?" Deb dared Emily.

"I suppose not," Emily admitted. "After we talked about Cam, his girls, and his divorce, I felt like maybe you felt sorry for him. That's why you're trying to set us up."

"Emily, I do not feel sorry for Cam. He's had his share of hard knocks, but tell me, who's gotten everything they want out of life?" Deb said forcefully. Emily backed down slightly.

"No one I guess," she replied quickly.

"You haven't seen the way he treats his children. I have. You haven't seen his heart on his sleeve, while the divorce and custody hearings took place. I have. But, I suppose not everyone wants an instant family. Maybe I was wrong for trying to force you two together. But he's been a good friend, a wonderful dad to his kids, and I just want to see him happy. I think you could be happy with Cam too." Deb finished, appearing to be out of breath.

Cameron battled his internal feelings, deciding if he should attempt moving his life from neutral to drive. He hadn't been on a date in over 6 years, since he met his ex-wife. It was as if his life was stuck in a hold pattern until his girls no longer needed him.

He thought he was still fairly good looking. He didn't work out every day, but managed to get a quick run in two or three times a week. Running after two six-year olds was workout enough he thought.

As he settled into work in the New Year, he thought about new beginnings. What if he asked her out, and there was no spark? He felt like Emily was way out of his social status being a Director. She was certainly better looking than anyone he'd ever dated.

Emily might even laugh at him, if he asked for a date. Could his self-esteem tolerate her laughter, as she dismissed him with a flat 'no'? He'd be crushed again, the same way his ex-wife crushed him when she left him. He doubted Emily would publically embarrass him, but Deb would know. Deb wasn't the most tight-lipped admin at Southeastern Box. Maybe Deb saw something in Emily, since she worked for her.

Perhaps, it was better to leave things as they were. Untouched. Untested. He'd lived for three years since his divorce was final, without female entanglements. Perhaps he was supposed to devote himself to his girls. They deserved his energy. Later in life, he would have time and his circumstances would be better suited to a relationship. Cam remained on the precipice of indecision.

+++

Fate, or more likely, Deb payed a visit late that first Monday of the New Year. Deb asked Cam to check on Emily's laptop again. Cam wasn't sure if it was real or feigned. He already suspected a ruse, but showed up 10 minutes later.

"Hi Cam. It's almost 5, and she's getting ready to leave for the day," Deb said, pointing at Emily's door.

"She doesn't really have a problem with her laptop does she?" Cam asked, knowing the answer.

"Cam, I know your girls and how much they adore you. If you showed Emily a fraction of the attention you give them, she'll make you a very happy man for the rest of your life. She's not some perfect China doll you know. She's a woman with flaws just like the rest of us. But she has a huge heart and no one to fill it with love. Give it a shot. You might be very pleasantly surprised."

Cam willed himself not to creep back to IT unnoticed, and forget the whole thing. Something about Deb's sincerity made him want to at least put himself out there for once, even if it failed.

Cam knocked twice on Emily's door and waited. He didn't have an invitation this time. "Come in."

"Hi Emily," Cam announced brightly, while smiling.

"Hi Cam. I wasn't expecting you." Emily replied, flustered. She could see Deb's plans unfolding before her eyes and smiled.

Cam stumbled, "I didn't hear from you after I changed your settings and wanted to check to make sure your calendar issue was resolved."

"Yes. Thank you. It worked just fine when I got back." Emily smiled. She suspected why he really stopped in. Cameron felt all his muscles tense as he thought about his next question.

"Great. Glad it's solved then," Cam blurted needlessly.

Cam took a deep breath, "Emily, I'm not particularly good at this, but would you like to have dinner with me one night this week. I know you're probably very busy, so I understand if you'd rather not..."

"I would love to Cameron," Emily replied not loud enough for Cameron to hear. She felt herself saying the words, but she could barely hear them as she spoke. She trusted Deb. Maybe it could work, like she had said.

Deb was just outside Emily's office and could hear everything that was said. She was fist pumping and high fiving herself when Cameron asked and Emily said yes. She could barely hear it, but she said yes.

"...I mean, you travel, so restaurant food...What?"

"I said, I would love to Cameron," Emily replied louder. Emily's voice steadied Cam a little.

"That's great! How about Wednesday? I can pick you up from your hotel if that's alright with you. I'm sure Deb has your hotel information." Cam said, looking anxious to escape.

"That's perfect. But why don't you close the door and I'll give you the details myself." Emily winked at Cam. He swallowed hard, but complied.

Emily continued, "This will drive Deb absolutely crazy, you know?" She let out a hearty laugh. It broke the tension Cam felt. She had actually said yes and invited him to chat.

"Emily, thank you. For agreeing to dinner. I guess Deb's been working on you too, huh?" Cam gushed, releasing his question and pent up nerves.

"Maybe a little. But I don't think Deb could convince me to do anything I didn't want to do," Emily quickly countered as she smiled at Cam. Cam blushed.

Cam's confidence took a huge boost hearing her statement. "Thanks. Just in case Deb hasn't already told you, I said you were very attractive. You are you know. Incredibly attractive."

"Thank you. It's always a pleasure to be complimented. And for the record, I said the same about you," Emily easily added.

"Thanks. This won't come out the right way, but I'd love to stay or even ask you out for a drink. I need to get my girls from after-school care. It closes at 6. I don't want to be late. I'll have a sitter for the kids Wednesday and I'll see you then if that's Okay? I'm sorry to run out, but my girls are very important to me."

"Of course, I understand. Take care of family first. I'll see you Wednesday. Text me your personal e-mail address and I'll e-mail you my hotel information," Emily said, slightly disappointed they didn't have more time to talk.

Cam nodded. "Have a great evening Emily, and thank you. I'm looking forward to it."

"Me too Cam. See you Wednesday."

"See you Wednesday." Cameron left, closing the door. Deb hopped into her chair, looking like she had listened to their conversation through a water glass, with guilt written all over her face.

"Happy now Deb?" Cameron looked very serious when he left her office and paused to let his comment register.

Deb looked slightly pained then changed her look to smug. "She said yes, why wouldn't I be happy?" Deb stuck out her tongue at Cam who laughed. He also felt relieved. He wasn't sure why asking Emily out to dinner caused him such panic. Probably his own insecurities, he guessed.

+++

The Next Day

"Deb, can you let Mr. Glenn know that one of our client's is in town, and I'll be going to dinner with them. I won't be able to have dinner with him tomorrow night."

Emily trusted Deb. She felt betrayed by Deb, or Cameron, or maybe both. They hadn't even been on a date, and he was already getting kissy face with some woman, Emily had never seen before. The woman was attractive, but Emily couldn't quite match her designer clothes and accessories with someone that worked for a living. She didn't give it much thought. She wrote off Cameron Glenn instantly from her list of potential partners.

Deb's jaw dropped when she heard Emily's request as she glided back into her office. It was so off-hand; emotionless. Deb wasn't going to act on her request until she talked to her.

She knocked on her door and didn't wait for a reply, knowing she was alone.

"Sorry Emily, I must have misunderstood you just a minute ago. I thought you said..."

Emily interrupted her, "I'm sure you heard me just fine. I won't be going to dinner with Mr. Glenn tomorrow night. Since you're my admin, I gave you a simple request to let him know."

"But why?" Deb pleaded.

"I think I told you, if you were listening. I have a client engagement tomorrow night. Anything else?" Emily asked brusquely.

Deb got up and closed the door. "Yes. There is something else. You walked away from here and weren't gone five minutes when you came back and issued your 'directive' to cancel your date with Cam. I want to know what changed in the five minutes you were gone."

"Unless you'd like me to bring in HR, I suggest you do as you're told so we can go about our business which is what we get paid for, by the way," Emily said condescendingly.

"Emily, I'm sorry. I'm just not buying it. If you want to fire me for playing matchmaker, fine. I can accept that. But you can't just shit on my good friend for no reason. It will destroy him. What happened?" Deb implored Emily one last time. She could see Emily's steel demeanor start to weaken.

Emily sighed. "I went to see if maybe Cam would like to have lunch in the cafeteria today. I thought it might be a little less pressure than waiting for the big build-up of a first date. When I got to his area, there was a woman dressed in designer clothes smiling, kissing him on the cheek, saying something I couldn't hear, looking very happy," Emily explained. A tear was stuck in Emily's eyes, unwilling to fall.

"Oh shit. I bet his bitch of an ex-wife stopped by to suck more blood. Wait 10 seconds. I just want to grab my phone," Deb said, racing to her desk.

When she returned she had a photo of Cam with his ex-wife on her screen. She showed Emily the screen. "Is that the woman you saw?" Deb barked.

A sheepish Emily said, "Yes."

"I can't believe they let that bitch in the building. I'll make sure that never happens again. Emily, Cam's ex-wife left him, because he didn't make over seven figures a year. She's a money hungry whore as far as I'm concerned. She probably wanted to use the kids at some public function to make her new husband look good," Deb said.

"But I thought..." Emily stumbled.

Deb interrupted her, "Did Cam see you?"

"No, he never knew I was there. I saw the exchange between the two of them, got disgusted with men again, and stormed away," Emily said.

"Okay, so no harm no foul," Deb said.

"Easy for you to say Deb. It seems I can't trust men in general," Emily rebutted.

"You know, you're almost as damaged as Cam is. Sorry, over-stepping my bounds again, I know. But seriously, did every man you ever meet just crap in your corn-flakes and then leave or cheat on you?" Deb asked, perplexed.

"It probably seems that way. Hell, it might even be that way. I know it feels that way sometimes. I've never had anyone that really took the time to get to know me. I mean no one's really understood me and what's important to me. The signals I give off, must say, I'm a high riding bitch in the saddle, take no prisoners. But I'm really not like that. Sure, I want a successful career, but I'd like to think for the right man, I could make almost anything work," Emily finished, looking deflated.

"I get what you're saying. I'm not on quite the same career track you are Emily. I have my husband, who loves me for who I am; busybody, good-natured schemer, and dedicated wife to him. I've known Cam over 10 years. We met the last year of college at NC State. My husband Dereck and I went to his wedding to Stacy. We got together several times as couples. We had some laughs. But I sized Stacy up, apparently correctly, because she wasn't interested in Cam. She only cared about the money he could bring to the queen bee sitting on her throne. I'm amazed they had kids, but that was probably more Cam's doing than anything. He probably thought it would settle her down into motherhood."

"Wow! And to think I didn't want to talk about anyone's personal lives. Here we are opening up about everything," Emily said surprised.

"So, you're still going on your date with Cam?"

Emily considered the question seriously. "Maybe I jumped to conclusions. You've convinced me Cam is probably better than I deserve. This stays between you and me, Okay?" Emily asked.

"Yes." Deb high-fived Emily, as she walked back to her desk.

+++

Date Night

Emily was sitting in the lobby of the Embassy Suites when Cam pulled under the portico of the hotel. He was dressed in his best blue suit, red tie and polished shoes. Emily was excited.

As he stepped into the lobby, his breath caught in his throat. She stood and walked towards Cameron as he came through the automatic door, with a broad smile on her face. Cameron looked at his watch thinking he was late. She was dressed in a dark burgundy dress trimmed with black lace at the sleeves and knee length hemline. She wore silver heels. Her hair was down around her shoulders. Cam had only seen her dressed for business, her hair up in a bun. Cam thought she was the most beautiful woman in the world.

"Emily you look stunning," Cameron said as he greeted her.

"Thank you. You look very handsome yourself," Emily replied, scanning Cam from head to toe, focusing on his red tie, which was her favorite color.

Cameron offered his arm, which she took, as the two walked to his car. He opened her door and helped her in. "Wow! A Porsche? I'm impressed. What do they pay you guys in IT anyway?" Emily asked, in surprise as he closed his door.

"Not nearly enough to afford this. I call this my alimony. I'm sure Deb's filled you in on my life story, so I won't bore you with it. Let's enjoy a nice dinner and talk. I hope you like Italian." Cameron replied upbeat.

Throughout the ride to the restaurant, Emily caught Cam frequently staring at her. She smiled each time. Cam looked sheepish, like he'd been caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

After being seated, Cam ordered a bottle of Cabernet, and the two talked. The restaurant was one of Cam's favorites while he was married to Stacy. The food was still great, he knew the staff by name, and saw no reason to write it off like he had Stacy.

After the wine was served, Cam said, "Emily, I know so little about you. Tell me about yourself. Not the work stuff. We should set that aside, if it's Okay with you."

Emily like any sales professional had her elevator speech memorized. For tonight, she went off script. She wasn't sure why. "I don't want to bore you with those details anyway. Let's say I've been looking for love in all the wrong places."

Cam laughed. "That's profound, in a country music kinda way. Don't you think?"

"It may be, but it's the truth. Do you like country music?" Emily asked.

"I do like country music actually. But I also like music from the 80's and 90's too. But promise you won't laugh if I tell you I listen to Delilah on the radio in the evening after the kids go to bed," Cam whispered.

"It sounds like you're a romantic. But Deb already spilled that secret. Let's see, do you also watch Hallmark and Lifetime Movie Channel?" Emily asked, conspiratorially.

"Guilty to all charges," Cam replied earnestly, laughing.

"Then I'd say you're a bona-fide incurable romantic," Emily declared, showing her beautiful smile. "But, I love that."

Cam liked the playful back and forth conversation. They ordered and enjoyed a traditional Italian dinner with piles of pasta. When they each reached for the Parmesan cheese at the same time, it drove home for Cam more similarities than differences.

"So what type of music do you like?" Cam asked.

"Inspirational Gospel and church music," Emily replied, deadpanned.

Cam had to sip some water before he could speak. "You're kidding right?" He asked, worriedly.

"Yes, I just wanted to make sure you were paying attention," Emily quickly answered, bursting into laughter.

"Well for sure, you caught my attention with your music choice. But I always pay attention to beautiful women. So what do you really like?"

Cam's comment about her being beautiful, didn't go unappreciated. "Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, the Rolling Stones, to name a few. I went to a Celine Dion concert a couple of years ago in Las Vegas. It was probably the best concert I've ever heard."

"I really liked the song she sang for 'Titanic', probably one of the greatest romance movies I've ever watched."

"She sang that song in concert. It was beautiful. If I could get tickets to one of her shows again, would you be interested in going? I went with one of my girlfriends from college. We loved it, but it would be completely new if I went with someone else," Emily said, as she winked at Cam.

"You get tickets to a Celine Dion concert, and I'll find a way to be there, with you."

"Thank you. You're so different, than my...never mind. I'm sorry." Emily felt embarrassed to be comparing Cam to her past relationships.

"Don't be. I feel the same way. You were comparing your last date with me, while I was comparing you with my ex-wife. We're both guilty I guess, but in a good way. You're nothing like her, in all the ways that count anyway. I can only hope I'm nothing like him."