Love Will Lead You Back

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Spyauth
Spyauth
120 Followers

As the couple lingered over coffee, Cam said, "We should really thank Deb for getting us together. I can't remember the last time I had this much fun."

"I agree. I'll be sure and let her know tomorrow," Emily said warmly. Emily's hand was lingering on her wine glass.

Cam reached over with his index finger and caressed the top of her hand. Emily watched Cam while he lazily stroked the top of her hand. He was lost in thought. She smiled, while she placed her other hand on top of his breaking his concentration. Cam looked startled as his large dark brown eyes looked into Emily's eyes. He immediately calmed as he gazed into her eyes. Their hands remained touching.

"I don't want to spoil our evening, but my parents are watching my girls. I should probably take you back to your hotel. Besides, it's a school night." Cam laughed a little.

"Cam, you couldn't spoil a perfect evening. I loved it."

"Then it's unanimous. I loved it as well. There is one topic we haven't talked about," Cam said ominously.

"I think there are hundreds, probably thousands we haven't talked about, but which one?" Emily asked very interested.

"Deb said you were dead set against dating anyone in the office. Here we are. What do you want to say about it, if anyone asks? I mean, I'm hoping you would like to go out again."

"I would very much like to go out again. As to what to tell people at the office? Nothing. What you and I do after hours or outside the company is our business," Emily replied vigorously.

"I like the way you think Ms. Trent," Cam said, while mock saluting Emily. She swatted him with her napkin.

Cam pulled in under the portico at the hotel once again. He raced around to open Emily's door. He helped her out. His Porsche sat very low to the ground, so Emily appreciated Cam's help out of the car, preserving most of her dignity in the process. Although he stole an admiring glance at her gorgeous legs as she exited.

He was holding her hand. Just outside the door to the hotel. "Emily, I think I mentioned I'm not very good at this. I'd like to kiss you goodnight."

"I think you're better at this than you think Cam. The evening was perfect. But I never kiss on the first date." Emily grinned. Cam looked crushed. She could tell she took her joke a little too far and felt badly. "Cam, I was just kidding. I'd be disappointed if you didn't kiss me goodnight," Emily said trying to salvage a poorly played joke.

That was all Cam needed to hear. He pulled her hand up to his shoulder and wrapped his other hand around her waist in a classic dance pose. Apparently Cam heard music in his head, because he started waltzing around the car with her following his steps. When they finally landed close to where they started, he twirled her around. When she completed her circle, she was back in his arms. He kissed her fully on her lips. She had to admit, she had never been kissed quite like that before. She felt warm all over. It wasn't a fireworks, jump into bed, I need you badly kiss, so much as it was comfortable, loving, yet passionate, indicating a future of building desire and maybe love?

She was more than ready to build the passion into a hot stream of lava before it burst from her body. She felt good about Cam. He was smart, handsome, carried his share of the conversation, and seemed to listen and queue off her interests. She was pleasantly refreshed from a past where all it seemed like was discussion about her ex-boyfriend's wants, desires and petty demands. This evening rejuvenated her.

+++

Cam ordered flowers for Emily and Deb when he got home that evening. They were to be delivered early the next morning to their respective desks. While Deb's were pink intended to thank her for coercing him and Emily together, Emily's were yellow roses tipped with red signifying friendship and falling in love. He hoped the delivery was precise, and they each understood their meaning.

Emily touched heartstrings in Cam, that hadn't been plucked since his courtship with Stacy. Cam struggled with a long distance relationship however. In his mind's eye, he could see a long distance relationship fraught with problems much larger than miles. The distance made every small thing that much larger. Emily was career and success hungry. He was happy loving his girls, while letting his career take a backseat to them for now.

He went to bed, exhilarated yet still missed the deep satisfaction of a friend, lover and companion close to him.

+++

"I guess someone had a great time last night," Deb announced when Emily entered the office.

"What are you talking about Deb? Oh, nice roses. Are those from your husband?"

"Nope. My best friend. And you know who that is. It might even be you're new boyfriend. He seemed pretty upbeat with his note. He thanked me for getting the two of you together." Deb smiled.

Emily turned the door knob on her door and was enthralled to see a huge spray of yellow roses tipped with red. She had no idea the meaning of the color. The gesture of flowers was plenty. It touched her. She felt light as air. She knew they were from Cam. She couldn't wait to read the card.

"Emily, Thank you for having dinner with me last night. You are a truly a beautiful person inside and out. I can't wait until next time. Cam."

Emily melted into a heap in her chair. She couldn't remember the last time anyone had sent her flowers. They were arranged perfectly in a glass vase. She was tempted to take them out and show Deb. Instead, she called her in to see them. "Deb, can you step in for a minute?"

Deb walked in. She immediately saw the roses on her desk. "I guess things really did go well last night. I mean, I got roses from Cam and so did you."

"Deb, I promised Cam last night I would thank you for getting us together. I'm sure he sent those to you to thank you. Consider this a heartfelt thank you from both us for making it happen. Cam is really everything you said he would be. Maybe he is my new boyfriend."

"I always thought you'd make a cute couple." Deb said, while arching her eyebrows seductively.

"Nothing like that yet. But I can say, I had the best time I've had on a date in almost forever," Emily said.

"I'm so happy for you. Cam is really a great guy. I think because he has his girls, he treats everyone better than anyone I know. They somehow keep him grounded. The color of your roses is probably significant, do you know what they mean?" Deb asked.

Embarrassed, Emily replied, "I don't. But I bet Google knows."

Emily turned on her computer and had a Google search up instantly. "It says they mean friendship, and falling in love. Oh Deb!"

"I wouldn't doubt that for a second. Cam has always been a very empathic person. He is one of the few guys that actually feel things. It's almost scary sometimes how he reads my moods. He knows if I'm upset at my husband, or things aren't going well at work. I can't imagine why his ex-wife Stacy ever left him."

"Well I for one, am glad she did. He might just be a keeper," Emily replied earnestly. But Emily already knew she had feelings for Cam. She was just coming to terms in her mind with how deeply they ran.

"I don't mean to get ahead of myself, but are you ready for an instant family? I mean Cam does have two little girls. I can't believe he'd uproot them from their grandparents and move to Chicago with you, even if he did love you. Would you move here if he asked you?"

"I don't know. While I can't see any issues with an instant family, the thought of moving does scare me a little. I've never lived anywhere else but Chicago. I always said for the right man, I'd make it work. I could just continue to work in Chicago and travel here, like I do every other week. Regardless of where I live, I would be traveling. That's my life, Deb. I travel," Emily replied defensively.

"But at some point, you're going to want to settle down. I doubt Cam would want you part time if things go like I think they might. Think about the weekends in your condo in Chicago, alone if you were a couple. Wouldn't you rather be here, with Cam?"

Emily thought about it quite a bit during her morning customer calls and meetings. She sent a quick e-mail to Cam's private address hoping he might check it prior to lunch. She wanted to clear up a few things.

Cam was surprised when he checked his personal e-mail and found a note from Emily. He opened it immediately.

"Cam thank you for dinner last night. I had a wonderful evening. And thank you for the flowers this morning. I loved them. You are very special. I can't thank you enough. Can we sneak out for lunch today? If you can, let's meet at the Asian restaurant off Highway 54 at 12:30? I'll get a table in the back." The e-mail was signed, Love, Emily.

Cam's heart soared at the invitation to lunch. The way she signed her note wasn't lost on him either. He quickly replied that he knew the restaurant and would be there at 12:30. At 12:15 he hopped in his Tahoe and drove to the restaurant.

He spotted Emily immediately in a back booth. She was dressed in a cream colored business suit. Cam was dressed in typical IT attire of Khaki's and golf shirt. She waived him over.

"Hi Emily. This is unexpected," Cam said, warily.

"Thanks for meeting me. Thank you again for dinner last night and the flowers. They really got the day off to a great start. And that's what I want to talk about."

Cam was now on alert, thinking negative thoughts. "Okay. What did you want to talk about?" Cam asked hesitantly, while sitting down on the other side of the booth.

"Cam this isn't easy. I felt something with you last night. The roses this morning just confirmed what I thought. You're a great guy." Emily stopped. Cam knew there was more, but willed himself not to interrupt, mentally waiting for a 'but.'

"I can't lead you on like this is just a fling. I'm not into casual sex and I don't want a fling. I need the stability of a relationship to develop the physical and emotional intimacy. I live in Chicago, and travel here, every other week. I've not been particularly good at picking boyfriends. But..." Emily paused. This was the point Cam was waiting for. He knew there was a purpose to the meeting.

"Emily, I understand. You are one of the most beautiful women, I've ever met. I really enjoyed your company last night, and really had fun, but I'm not anywhere in your league. I get that. I trusted Deb and so did you obviously, but let's just chalk it up to her silly match-making and move on," he said. He looked down at his lap, frustrated with himself, and at the situation.

"Cam you clearly misunderstood what I'm trying to say. I'm sorry. But..." Emily got out, but Cam wasn't interested in the rest. He had already heard the 'but' and needed nothing else.

"Emily thanks for the lunch invitation, but I think I'll just head back to work," Cam announced as he got up from the booth.

Emily could see this wasn't going anything like she had planned. Her word choice certainly wasn't her best, she admitted. She got up as quickly as Cam did. She spun him around as he was getting ready to leave while grasping his right arm tightly. He looked angry. She went up on tip-toes and kissed him passionately, while pulling his neck down to her mouth. Cam was pleasantly shocked. He returned her kiss with passion even though they were in the middle of the restaurant with all eyes staring at them. She didn't care.

"Why?" Cam asked.

"Why what?" She asked as they both stood by their booth.

"Why did you kiss me in the middle of the restaurant?"

"Why not? I feel it, and I think you do to. I'm very attracted to you. I don't care what people think or say, do you?" Emily replied with some heat.

"Are you kidding me? I felt almost instant attraction when we met."

"That's what I'm trying to tell you. I feel the same attraction you do. I want to have a relationship with you."

Her words truly changed the game for Cam. She had admitted her feelings. Cam's heart soared in his chest. He was unsure of himself. He needed to slow the world down, so he could regain his footing. He moved Emily back to her side of the booth and took the bench opposite her.

"Emily, I like you, a lot. I've not dated since my divorce, but I haven't felt like this about anyone since I got married. I'm a little scared honestly." Cam hiccupped. The fear was burning inside him.

"What are you afraid of?" Emily pried, sensing Cam was as committed to her as she was to him.

"You live in Chicago. How is a relationship supposed to work if you're there, and I'm here?" Cam asked.

"I'm here almost as much as I'm in Chicago. My career is very important to me. I don't see it as a major relationship hurdle. We'll work around it," Emily said, dismissing Cam's concerns.

"I suppose we can try," he said trying to push back his fears.

They ate lunch then drove back to work, but walked back to work holding hands. They stole an intense kiss in the elevator to the 5th floor as Emily departed. Cam wanted to talk to Deb. Emily already had people waiting to see her in her office when they arrived.

"So, dinner last night, lunch today, what's next? Are you two picking out curtains tonight?" Deb laughed.

"Funny Deb. That's what I want to talk to you about. How is a long distance relationship supposed to work?" Cam asked.

"I think Emily is the one to answer that, but if it were me, I'd take it one day and one week at a time. Besides aren't you a little busy with the girls?"

"That's the point. I have so little time now, how can I split my time between a new relationship, regardless of where she lives and my girls?"

"Only you can answer that, but maybe you don't have to split it. Think about trying to have them both. I bet the girls would love Emily."

"But they already have a mother."

"Cam, your ex-wife may be their birth mother, but you've been mother and father to both of those kids for their entire lives. Maybe it's time you started sharing the load."

+++

February 2015

Their relationship flourished in the ensuing weeks. They opened up to each other about their families, hopes, dreams, and goals. Cam and Emily had lunch most days she was in town, and dinner frequently throughout the next 6 weeks. Their kisses grew more intense, and their feelings grew stronger towards each other. Emily felt like Cam was the one she could spend the rest of her life with. Cam felt like a missing piece had been found.

When Emily was home in Chicago, they IM'd each other frequently throughout the day, and facetimed in the evenings. Cam was still wary, but admitted he had begun to relax each time Emily came to town on Monday. He had even picked her up at the airport, instead of Deb. She was pleasantly surprised the first time he did it. They shared several intimate kisses during those airport rendezvous. She felt the wonderful feelings of love for the first time in forever.

Emily had just flown back to Chicago on Friday night after her boss let her know about the promotion. She was distraught, when she called Chrissy to invite her for coffee the next day. She didn't talk to Cam for the first time in weeks that evening. She was miserable. She wanted Chrissy's advice about Cam and the promotion. The two sisters met for coffee on a cold Saturday in late February.

"Hi Chrissy, how are the kids?"

"They're great. I can't believe they're turning 4 and 2 in a few months. I never thought I would get out of the diaper business," Chrissy replied laughing.

Emily said, "You love it and you know it," knowing her sister was completely at home taking care of her kids and her adoring husband.

"I do. But how goes it with you? Any new love interests?" Chrissy asked enthusiastically, while sipping her coffee.

"Yes, as a matter of fact I do. I haven't said anything, because I wanted to be sure about him," Emily said.

"This sound serious. Where did you meet this guy?" Chrissy asked.

Emily answered sheepishly, "He lives in Raleigh with his twin girls."

"I'm happy for you Emily, but wow, I mean, two kids. Talk about jumping in with both feet. How old are they?"

"They just started first grade. They turned six over the summer. I haven't met them yet, but Cam wants me to meet them soon."

"Cam I assume is the man than has finally wormed his way into your heart?" Chrissy asked as she smiled. She genuinely felt happy for her sister. It had been a long time, since she'd heard anything positive from Emily about the opposite sex. Even Chrissy had to admit, her luck with men wasn't the best.

"I think so. His name is Cameron, but everyone calls him Cam," Emily said, as tears welled up in her eyes.

"What's wrong Em?" Chrissy asked with concern.

"I just got offered a promotion," Emily sniffled.

"Why do I think those aren't happy tears, Em?"

"They want me to move to California to open a new office and plant. My new job would be there exclusively. No more travel. I haven't told Cam yet, but I don't know what to do," Emily said, then had to blow her nose she was crying so hard.

"Oh Em. I'm so sorry. I guess it's good that you and Cam have only known each other for a month or so. I mean it's not like you're in love with him." Chrissy responded, not really understanding the relationship that her sister and Cam shared.

In between bouts of crying Emily managed to say, "That's the problem Chrissy, I think I am in love with him. In fact he was the one that was so concerned about the distance between us. I told him we could work around it and we have, but if my job is permanently in LA, there is no way we would ever see each other."

"Oh Em, I had no idea you felt like this about him. Are you sure? I mean you've had relationships before, are you sure you're really in love with Cam?"

"About as sure as I can be. But this is the promotion that I've been working for since I started at SE Box. If I take the promotion, I lose the person I want to spend the rest of my life with. I'm a mess. I couldn't sleep last night. I can't eat."

"You need to get control of yourself Emily. Even your hands are shaking. This is so unlike you. There has to be another way to get both," Chrissy said, trying to bolster Emily.

"I even thought about asking him to marry me, and move him and his kids with me to LA," Emily said as she looked straight into her sister's eyes. Her tone left no doubt in Chrissy's mind, her sister was serious about this guy.

"Emily, I've never heard you this serious about anyone. Does Cam know how you feel about him? If you're talking the 'M' word, surely you've had this conversation with him. Right?" Chrissy prodded. Her question brought an entire new round of tears from Emily.

Reluctantly, Emily said, "I haven't. We haven't even made love. I mean we're taking things slow purposely given how hurt he was from his divorce and my last breakup. You know what caused the breakup with Bobby. Distance and Travel. Here I am right back there again. Cam will leave me for sure, if I tell him about the promotion."

"Maybe not. And if he does like Bobby, was he really worth it? But, you're never going to know unless you talk to him though," Chrissy said.

Emily nodded her head knowing her sister was right. Deep down, she knew she wanted the promotion. She had worked hard, and earned it. But she knew her feelings for Cam were equally as strong.

"You're right Chrissy. I wasn't planning to go to Raleigh until the week after next, but I could probably catch the afternoon flight. I need to talk to Cam."

"Cam is going to know something is up, when you tell him you're flying back today. As soon as you let him know, he's going to start worrying. You are going to have to be honest with him Em. Are you ready to tell him everything? How you feel about him, the promotion, everything?"

Spyauth
Spyauth
120 Followers