Now or Never: Escape to Freedom Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Good morning sunshine. How did you sleep last night?" Beth said as she sat on the side of the bed.

"Honestly, I don't remember. I don't remember much of last night." Austin said as he sat up on the bed.

"You were pretty much out of it once the pain meds kicked in. Eric and I had to help you into bed last night."

"Thank you for that." Austin offered.

"Why don't you come downstairs and have breakfast. I made pancakes with bacon and toast. I figured it's a good breakfast for you to have before you take your meds again."

"You didn't have to do that. I could have just had cereal."

"Oh nonsense. I love to cook. I don't get to really make a nice breakfast like this back home. Besides you need something filling." Beth said as she looked at him caringly.

The smells coming from the kitchen were heavenly. It had been so long since he had a good breakfast. Eric usually just gave him some juice and toast for breakfast. Austin felt a little guilty when Beth started to cut up his pancakes for him, even though he didn't know how he would have done it on his own. After breakfast was done and cleared up, Austin took his meds and went into the living room and sat on the couch.

"How are things going with you and my brother?" Beth questioned as she sat on the couch and turned on the TV.

Austin knew he couldn't tell her the truth so he tried to sugar coat it. "Everything is good. He's been working a lot and I've been keeping busy around the house so when he gets home he can relax. How are things in California?"

"Truly amazing. It is a beautiful state to live in." Beth smiled but it quickly faded. "Austin, you would tell me if something was wrong, wouldn't you?"

"Uh...yeah why?" Austin was starting to get nervous.

"How did you get those bruises?"

"Oh, Eric and I were play fighting and I guess we got a little carried away." He really hated lying to her but for his safety he knew he had no choice.

"Hmmm, I just noticed that you have all the bruises and he has none."

"Some of them probably happened when I fell down the stairs. You know how clumsy I am." Austin flashed her a smile, a fake smile but he tried.

Beth didn't buy it for one minute but she didn't want to pressure Austin too much. "Okay, well you know I love you and you can tell me anything."

"Thank you."

By this time the meds where starting to kick in and Austin was getting drowsy. "These meds are making me tired."

"That is one of the biggest side effects. Come here and lay down, you can watch some TV until you fall asleep." Beth offered.

She put a pillow on her lap and Austin rested his head on it. She slowly started to stroke his hair and in no time he was out like a light. As she rubbed his head she felt a knot towards the back that his hair had hidden from view. It was very hard and she could feel the scab over it. Beth looked at Austin as he was sleeping on her lap and she knew he wasn't telling her the entire truth. She moved his t-shirt to the side and could see that the bruises went further down his chest. They were not the bruises of a play fight gone wrong, or from a fall down the steps, they were that of rage and anger.

As she was sitting there watching TV, she heard Austin start to mumble in his sleep. She could only make out bits and pieces of what he was saying. The one thing that he repeated the most was 'Ryan'. She had never heard of him before. Then she noticed that his dream turned unpleasant. He started crying and moving around like he was trying to get away from something or someone, begging whoever it was to stop. She gently shook him and he seemed to calm down. Now she knew something terrible had happened to him and she was going to get to the bottom of it.

Eric got home around eight that night and Beth was in the kitchen cooking up dinner.

"Where's Austin?" Eric asked as he sat at the counter.

"He's in the living room laying down. I gave him his meds and he was feeling drowsy so I told him to rest and I'd wake him for dinner." She replied vaguely.

Eric sensing something was bothering her. "What's wrong with you?"

Beth put down the spoon and turned to her brother. "Eric, what is going on between you and Austin?"

"What are you talking about?"

"Something is going on between the two of you. I've noticed some things that have me a little concerned."

"Like what."

"Well, he looks like total crap and he acts very reserved."

"You know how he gets. He gets into those depressed moods and there's nothing anyone can do to bring him out of it." Eric presented.

"How did he get those bruises all over him?" Beth probed deeper.

"Probably when he fell down the basement stairs." Eric was starting to get agitated with Beth. "Why are you asking all these questions?!"

"Why are you getting all defensive?! Is there something that you don't want me to find out? Like how you hit Austin!" Beth shot back.

"So what. One time I lost my temper and I hit him. It's no big deal!"

"Oh Eric, stop lying to me. I know it's been more than one time that you've hit him. I know you have a horrible temper and it doesn't take much to set you off."

Eric finally snapped. "You want to know something. You're right, I do beat his ass! After what he put me through and what I've given up for him, he deserves every single thing I do to him!"

"Does that include raping him?"

"I have never raped him." Eric protested.

"Really? Because the bruising he has between his legs sure does look like it."

"What the hell are you doing between his legs?!"

"I haven't seen it but the doctor at the hospital told me all about them."

"Maybe someone else raped him. That fucking slut will open his legs for anyone!" Eric yelled.

"Why would you call your boyfriend a fucking slut?!"

"Because that's exactly what he is, a good for nothing slut! He ran the fuck away and hopped into bed with the first guy he met and I had to chase him down!" Eric screamed.

"I'm not surprised he ran away if you have been treating him like this! How long has this been going on for, and don't lie to me."

"You really want to know? Because don't ask any questions you don't want the answer to!"

"You know what. No I don't want to know how..."

Eric interjected. "Years! I've been beating his stupid ass every fucking day! I can't fucking stand him. I don't care that one of my friends comes over here and fucking rapes him! He deserves everything he gets! I lost so much because I made the stupid fucking mistake of taking him in after his parents died!"

"What did you lose?" Beth questioned.

"Mom and dad told me that if I stayed with him after high school that they were not paying for me to go to college."

"You can't blame him for that. You made that decision by yourself. No one put a gun to your head and forced you."

"Oh Beth please, who else was going to take care of him. It was either he stay with me or move to Florida with his grandparents." Eric scoffed as he tried to leave the room.

"Sit your ass back down and now!" Beth yelled after him. "I'm going to tell you something and you're going to fucking listen to me."

Eric was taken aback by his sister's choice words.

"You are blaming him for something that he had no control over! Mom and dad cutting you off from college was NOT his fault! Obviously you stayed with him for a reason. What was that reason, Eric?!"

Eric was too pissed off to answer her. He just sat back down and glared at her.

"At one point and time you loved him. That's the reason why you made that decision. Not because he had no place to go but because you loved him and would have done anything to make him happy. At some point you changed and started blaming him for your decision. If you want to be mad at someone, be mad at mom and dad. They're the asses that are closed minded." Beth walked over and sat next to her brother. "Eric, you need help. You need to go and see someone, talk to a professional. You have a lot of anger built up inside of you and need help knowing how to deal with it."

Eric sat silent. He knew that she was right. For the first time in his life he realized that. Austin had said it to him once before but he was so mad at Austin that it didn't register.

"Eric, who is Ryan?"

"He's some guy Austin ran into down in the south." Eric's attitude had done a complete one eighty. "They had started dating."

"If they were dating then why did Austin come back?"

"They had come up here for Ryan's family reunion but Ryan's sister accused Austin of being a freeloader. Ryan found out and there was a huge fight and his sister was banished from the family. That was the same night Austin came back."

"How did you find all of this out?" Beth questioned.

"Ryan's sister, Clare, had gotten a hold of me and asked me about Austin and how to get rid of him. So I told her what to say and how to treat him. I knew that he would come back."

"Eric, you pushed him away in the first place. He is terrified of you. I've seen the fear in his eyes." Beth started to tear up. "I love you guys and it kills me to know that this has been going on for years. I wish you had talked to me about how you were feeling instead of taking it out on Austin."

Eric just hung his head. His cold interior was starting to crack. His sister was slowly chipping away and was starting to make him see what he had really done. "I need to go."

"Eric, don't leave."

"No Beth. I need to get out of here for a little while, please." Eric begged.

"Okay, but please text me later and let me know that you are okay. You're still my brother and I will always love you, no matter what." Beth said as she kissed his cheek.

It was around midnight when Austin woke up and found Beth sitting at the kitchen table. He could tell by the look on her face that something had really upset her.

"Beth, is everything okay?" Austin asked as he sat at the table with her.

She looked at him with tears in her eyes. "Austin, I know everything. I know that Eric has been abusing you for a long time now and I know that he let one of his friends come over and rape you. I confronted him when he got home from work tonight."

Austin's heart sank. He was embarrassed that Beth knew his dirty little secret. "How did you know something was going on?"

"Well, I had this feeling for awhile. Any time I would talk to Eric he was very cold and distant with me. If I asked to talk to you he always made an excuse as to why you couldn't talk on the phone. Also I got a phone call the other day telling me that I needed to get out here as soon as possible because there were major problems."

"What's going to happen now? I mean once you go back home." Austin was worried Eric was going to kill him now.

"I'm not leaving until this is straighten out. I honestly don't know what's going to happen but I will promise you this, he will never lay a figure on you again or anyone else for that matter."

Eric never came home that night and by the time morning came around Beth was starting to get worried. She tried texting and calling him but he didn't answer either. She decided to call Dominic to see if he had seen or heard from Eric but she was disappointed when he told her that he hadn't since the other morning. It wasn't until around ten that night did Eric come home.

"Eric! Where have you been? I've been trying to call and text you for the past day!" Beth said as she hugged her brother.

"I needed to get away. Where is Austin?" Eric asked tiredly.

"He's in the living room watching TV. What are you going to do?" Beth questioned.

"I need to talk to him...in private."

"Okay, but you better not lay one finger on him."

When Eric walked in the living room he saw Austin sitting on the couch watching TV. Austin hadn't notice Eric walk in the room and when he spoke Austin nearly jumped off of the couch.

"I'm sorry sir. I didn't hear you come in." Austin said as he scrambled to his feet.

"Austin, sit down. I need to talk to you." Eric said as he sat down on the couch.

Austin slowly sat down not knowing what might happen. They sat in silence for what seem like an eternity before Eric finally started talking. "You need to leave."

"Did I do something wrong sir?"

"Stop calling me sir, okay? No you didn't do anything wrong but I have. Austin, I have anger issues and I have been taking it out on you. You deserve much better than what I have put you through."

"I can help you with your anger issues." Austin offered.

"Sadly no you can't, I'm the only one who can. I want you to get in your car and go back to Ryan."

"What?" Austin was completely floored.

"I want you to go back to Ryan. He can give you what I haven't been able to."

"I wouldn't even know how to get back there or if he would take me back after what happened."

"I know he would. Austin, he loves you which is something that I am not capable of doing."

"You don't love me anymore?" Austin knew it was a stupid question to ask.

"Austin, I don't even love myself right now so how would I be able to love anyone else."

"But I..." Austin started to say but was cut off.

"Austin please don't make this any harder than it already is. I'm letting you go."

And for the first time in years Austin saw Eric start to cry.

"When do you want me to leave?" Austin said with tears in his eyes.

"Tomorrow morning, it's too late now."

"Okay."

"I have to go lay down. I'll wake you in the morning." Eric said as he walked out of the room.

Austin sat in the living room and his emotions finally over took him. His heart ached at the thought of leaving. Even though he was finally going to be free, a part of him felt sorry for Eric. After everything Eric had done to Austin they had been good at some point. Now he knew that their time had come to an end and that he would be free, truly free.

It was around four-thirty in the morning, there was a light frost covering everything in the early November morning, when Eric woke Austin to get ready and leave. After Austin had showered and gotten dressed he met Eric down stairs. Eric was standing in the kitchen and a manila envelope was sitting on the counter.

"Here are all of your personal paper work; your car title is in there as well. Your car is full of gas and I put a GPS in there with Ryan's address already programmed in." Eric said as tears started to fill his eyes.

Austin saw the tears and he started to tear up himself. "Are you sure I can't stay and try to help you? Help with us?"

"It's too late for us Austin. I want you to be happy and I know you can have that with Ryan." Eric smiled a true smile. "Before I forget here is enough money for you to be able to get down there."

"Thank you si...Eric." Austin said as he put the money in his pocket.

"You better get going so you'll miss most the traffic around Baltimore and Washington DC." Eric said as he walked Austin to the door.

When Austin opened the front door there was his car and his face lit up. Eric didn't end up sending it to the scrap yard. As he started the car, things were different this time. He wasn't running away but leaving freely. Just as he was about to pull out of the driveway Eric appeared at his window. Eric motioned for Austin to open the door. Austin thought for a second that Eric had a change of heart and wasn't going to let him go, but when he opened the door and stepped out he was surprised when Eric wrapped his arms around him pulling him into one last hug.

"I'm sorry for what I've done to you Austin. I hope that someday you will be able to forgive me." Eric said as he started to cry. "You take good care of yourself and don't let anyone treat you wrong, I made that mistake and now I have to pay for it."

Austin started to cry. This was the first time in years that Eric had shown caring feelings towards him. He buried his head into Eric's shoulder and for one last time, felt the strong arms of the one he used to love wrapped around him. Eric finally broke the hug and ushered Austin into his car. As Austin pulled out of the driveway he looked into his rearview mirror and saw Eric standing on the front step as tears fell from his eyes.

Had Eric really changed and let him go, Austin thought to himself as he drove towards the highway. He wondered if this was just another game Eric was playing with him, but something in Eric's eyes told him that this was for real this time. Austin knew that only time would tell.

At first it took him a little getting used to driving with the splint on his left arm, but soon he got the hang of it. As he approached the on ramp to the Delaware Memorial Bridge his heart started beating faster. This was it, he knew once he crossed over that bridge and got onto I-95 south that he was on his way back to the south, and Ryan. He wondered if Ryan would take him back after he had left him that stormy night. He was sure that Ryan was mad at him for leaving and going back to Eric, which Ryan had every right to be mad at him. He wondered if he shouldn't just go straight to Florida and by pass Levy all together, but he figured that he would make that decision later. Right now he had at least another eight hours before he even reached the South Carolina border, as long as he didn't hit major traffic. Thankfully he had left early enough in the morning that he made through Baltimore with no traffic. Unfortunately when he got towards Washington DC the morning rush hour traffic had just started. It took him over an hour to finally make it around the beltway and head back south.

As he was driving his wrist and ribs started to give him a little bit of pain. He remembered that he didn't take his morning dose of his meds, but he knew that he couldn't take a whole pill since it usually put him to sleep. He pulled off of the highway and into a McDonalds to get something to eat so he could take his meds. After he ate his breakfast he snapped the pill in half hoping that it would be just enough to take the pain away but not enough to cause him to be sleepy. Thankfully he was right. The half of pill brought the pain to a tolerable level but didn't make him too sleepy. One of the things he missed the most was having a smoke after eating. Then he remembered that Eric had given him money to help him get down south. He pulled into a convince store and bought his favorite brand of cigarettes. When he took that first drag, pure nicotine bliss flowed over his body. It's funny the little things he missed. Like having a smoke after eating and having a hot cup of coffee to go with it.

He had made his way through a good part of Virginia before he had to turn off the heater in the car. It was still a little chilly for him to change into other clothing. As he put more miles behind him the thought of Eric was getting less and less. He was starting to get anxious about returning to the south.

When he finally reached the South Carolina border it was four in the afternoon. He saw signs for South of the Border and decided it would be a good place to stop and stretch his legs. Austin couldn't help but laugh to himself at the sight of the place. It was your typical tours trap that you would see from an old 80's road trip movie. The brightly painted colors and the flashing neon lights screamed that this place had not been updated for some time. After spending sometime looking around the shops, not spending a dime on any of the trinkets, he decided it was time to head back on the road. He still had three hours before he arrived to Levy.

As he came upon exit 8 for Levy he pulled over and stopped in front of the sign. This was the moment of truth. Should he take the exit and face Ryan or keep going towards Florida. His heart was racing and his mind was filled with confusion. Austin got out of the car and lit a smoke. He really needed to think about what he was about to do. While he was smoking on the side of the road a State Trooper pulled up behind his car with his lights flashing.