Once Dead Twice Bound Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

~ Jack ~

She's beautiful. Was my first thought after the brief analysis. No, she's beyond beautiful into the range of exquisite or proof of the existence of God. God with a capital G. But why is she standing in the middle of the hallway staring at me like that? Unnerved slightly by her intensity I looked down, making to brush by this strange woman standing in the middle of the hallway when my progress stuttered to a stop. A pair of arms now entwined themselves across my chest and her soft mounds pressed onto my upper back.

What the fuck? What do I do? I mean of course this feels nice, but what is she doing? She must think I'm someone else. Fuck! I'm not prepared for this.

My whole body clenched at the intense intimacy of the woman's body conforming to my back. Overloading, my mind entered a frantic state. It tried, and failed, to catalog the variety of sensations across my body. Her breath lightly tickled the back of my neck as she leaned in close.

"Found you," she murmured into my ear, lightly nipping the tip with her teeth.

"What the hell?" I exclaimed, jerking my head away at the stab of pain. "I don't know what your deal is but you got the wrong guy," I said huffily, pulling away from her grasp. "I've never seen you before, and I'm running late for work." I turned and quickly walked away, rubbing the tip of my ear.

Feeling embarrassed and agitated, I kept my eyes firmly glued to my hurriedly deliberate steps, stomping my way down the hallway and out the door. I was afraid of the potentially disgusted expression I might encounter on her lovely face should I turn to look at her. I'd had a moment of elation between her embrace and the light nip on my ear when I had considered the magical fantasyland thought that someone could actually be interested in me. Following a rollercoaster trajectory, the realization that a: she was a stranger and b: she was gorgeous, quickly murdered any positive feelings. Disgusted at myself with my short lived delusion, I clutched the backpack on my shoulder and stomped to my car. I consoled myself with the thought that I hadn't made it any worse by sticking around and explaining her mistake.

~ Tara ~

I followed the fleeing man at a more sedate pace, rolling the drop of blood around my mouth while simultaneously tightening the weave of the thaumic binding I was building on the iron matrix present in the coppery liquid. The direction of my fleeing mate sharpened in my senses as he exited the building, wind nipping at his clothing as the invisible wire snapped taut, the locator portion of the spell locking onto his unique auric signature.

"And I'm never letting go," I whispered resolutely, eyes never leaving the young man as he entered a car and pulled out of the parking lot. My tail swished around behind me, hands weaving an enchantment of invisibility over my skin, the glittery threads of my magic settling into my pores rendering them transparent. Centering my mind, I spared a glance at the retreating vehicle as I sped off in the opposite direction, having preparations to make for week ahead. I had to fight off the urge to run him down and claim him. Sliding my form into that of a large golden fox, I continued running from the temptation burning in my gut, streaking quickly towards my den. Internally, I cleared my schedule, mentally penciling in, "Seduce my mate," for the foreseeable future. As the wind flattened my ears and lashed at my tail, the ancient bond, long since withered and dark, lit up. A lone ray of sunshine, ignited kindling in my soul, warming my insides with delicious anticipation. I had far to travel but the hour was not so far off, for the first time in a long time, I could see the end. I was close enough to taste it.

Cinnamon and honey. Yum.

~ Jack ~

I threw my backpack into the trunk of an old stick shift jeep that my dad had given me right before college.

"I hope you have as many good times with her as I did, Jack," my father told me before tossing me the keys and giving a overblown wink at the insinuation. Clambering into the car I snorted at the memory.

Fat chance of that.

I had always been fully conscious of social interactions and possible embarrassments had always paralyzed me, potential consequences stifling my actions. I always felt that the potential awkwardness had outweighed the benefits of approaching a girl for a date. I never had trouble talking to a girl, it was just that I never felt comfortable enough to broach that next level relationship. Put simply, I had confidence issues. Issues that had not been helped by the events from earlier in the week, after I had finally mustered up my confidence to approach a girl for the first time... kind of.

~ Earlier In The Week ~

My palms were sweating as I hung around outside my Tuesday chemistry class waiting for my crush to come out. I had overheard her talking about this new show she had just discovered about a space cowboy and his crew's misadventures into the "black," earlier in the week and that sealed the deal.

You can do this, you can do this, you can do this...

Finally, I'd convinced myself I would be an idiot not to at least approach her to see about socializing, considering Firefly was my single favorite tv show. It also didn't hurt that she was beautiful, possessing pale skin and a dancers elegance of motion. She opened the door and flashed me a smile after noticing my lurking. My heart thudded in my chest as she walked up.

Wait ... why is she walking up to me?

"Hi. I'm Olivia. I noticed your shirt and I was wondering if you wanted to hang out sometime?" she asked, innocently tucking a lock of scarlet hair so dark it bordered on black. Glancing down, I had to remind myself I was currently wearing an old Jack Johnson t-shirt I'd gotten from his summer tour last year.

Firefly and Jack Johnson!

Hope blossomed in my chest as it finally sunk in that maybe we'd did have common interests.

"Sure. Just let me know when and where. Since it's so early in the semester, I don't have too much going on after classes and I get done around noon everyday. I chose earlier classes so that I would have more time in the afternoon. It makes the day feel longer," I trailed off at the end as I realized I was babbling like a nervous idiot, which was an apt description. I looked at my feet in embarrassment.

She didn't laugh, and her face lit up in a beautiful smile that stretched across her face.

"Great. Do you like coffee?" she asked excitedly.

I shook my head. A slight frown pulled the corners of her mouth down.

"But I do enjoy some tea now and then. What did you have in mind?" I finished, mentally facepalming for my initial offhand rejection. The smile returned as the frown vanished.

"How does one, on Friday, at the union coffee shop sound?" she asked holding up three fingers, one at a time, as if checking off items on a mental checklist.

"Sounds great. I'll see you there," I replied, in a manner I hoped wasn't too eager. Then, beating a hasty retreat, I fled before I managed to screw anything up.

That was amazing. I can't believe that just happened.

I exited the building with a cheshire grin dominating my face. Allowing myself a small fist pump in celebration, I walked down the sidewalk, a little hop and swagger to my step.

It was an enigma to me how Friday could both show up so incredibly fast, while also taking an eternity to arrive. We had exchanged numbers over facebook so we could stay in touch. I showed up at the cafe around twelve forty five, not wanting to keep her waiting. Ordering an iced tea, I sat at a booth and tried, unsuccessfully, not to fidget. Incredibly nervous, I didn't want to let her know that this was the first date of my life.

Who would want to hang out with a twenty year old loser if they knew?

Shaking my head to clear it of negative thoughts, I fidgeted with a napkin as I waited.

And waited.

One o'clock rolled around and she was nowhere in sight.

At one fifteen I wandered around the union, getting more nervous by the second.

Had I misheard her and gotten the date, time or place wrong and she was waiting for me somewhere?

I tried to text her at one fifteen to see if I was in the wrong place.

No response.

I waited some more.

I tried calling her, still no response, and left her a message saying I thought we had a date and please call me back.

Downloading a facebook app onto my phone, I was hoping get in touch with her there. Firing up the app, I quickly typed in my login credentials, thankful for technology. It was now one forty five. I quickly moved over to my friends tab, almost pitifully small, to shoot her a quick pm. Scrolling down I searched for her name amongst his meager contacts. Natalie...Nate...Paul...Steven...wait a second. Not finding her name listed, I typed it into the search bar. The search pulled up her name along with a classification: private profile, may only be viewed by friends.

The bottom dropped out of my roiling stomach.

Why would she unfriend me? Why did she ask me out in the first place? What did I do wrong?

Thoughts and questions bounced around my head like a pinball.

Was it all a joke? Did she do it for a laugh?

My eyes filled with bitter tears at the thought.

Of course it was a joke there was no way that a girl like her would ever have anything to do with me. I felt the leaden thought weigh down my head and I calmly picked up my now empty tea, depositing it in the trash on my way out the building. I tried to remain optimistic as I trudged my way to my dorm room, but was pretty despondent as my dorm floor acquaintances gave small nods of recognition as I passed them in the hallway. An old couch that had seen better days creaked as I flopped on it despondently. It was free of stains and smells, thanks to generous helpings of febreeze, but it had a horrible seventies green plaid pattern that almost physically assaulted the eyes. I closed my eyes, trying to remain upbeat telling myself there would be others.

I failed.

When fixing the problem doesn't work, just mask the problem by avoiding it altogether. I thought as I fired up netflix and pulled out a bag of self-pity doritos.

For a case of insecurity, doctors recommend a healthy dose of television numbness, for particular bad cases supplemental junk food is also advocated. And who am I to argue with doctors orders?

~ Present Day ~

The light turned green and the honking of the car behind me broke me from my reverie.

Is it the way I smell? What was it about me that begs to be messed with?

I shook my head, throwing the car into gear and drove downtown. I understood I was fleeing, but that didn't stop me from wanting to get away from everything for a bit. Away from campus, away from my tiny dorm, away from my loneliness... I rolled down the window and turned up the radio and let the dual blast of wind chill and song drown out my thoughts.

Eventually, hunger drove me to the greasy arms of Arby's, before I headed back towards my dorm. I pulled into residential parking and and down shifted, finding a spot near the back of the lot. Walking into the dorm, munching on some curly fries I nodded to Alex, the RA on guard duty for the entrance. Taking the stairs up to the fourth floor, I unlocked my door with my old fashioned, burnished copper key. I finished my sandwich at my desk and bundled up the wrapper in a little ball that I sent flying towards the wastebin in the corner.

Nothing but net.

At least one thing went right today.

I pulled out my kindle for a little comfort reading, still a little unnerved by the fact the two strangers had decided to torment me within my first couple weeks of college. Sprawling over my ugly couch, I opened up an old favorite, a novel about a wizarding private investigator who advertises in Chicago.

The hours drifted as the words flowed over me in a comforting haze of snark and magic. I glanced at the clock as I closed the novel, my mind finally achieving a semblance peace. Peace which was quickly upset with old worries. The darkness seemed oppressive and mocking as the loneliness sat heavy, like a ten pound weight on my chest. Wiping the nascent tears from my eyes, I silently berated myself for my weakness. Giving my cheeks two light smacks I tried to shake off my doldrums as I hopped off the couch.

Noticing the lateness, I prepared for bed before climbing the rickety elevated twin size bed that barely contained my six foot frame. I laid down for some restless sleep as I kept replaying today's encounter, oblivious to the golden eyes waiting for me just outside my dorm room.

~ Tara ~

"Jack Reynolds, Freshman," read the nametag on the door.

Jack. Jack Reynolds.

I rolled the name around my mouth testing it out. I decided that it didn't encompass what I felt for him. The insatiable need that flooded against the sandbags of my logic told me I should try out other terms until I found one that was mine alone to call him. After being separated for one hundred and forty three years, I had counted, what was one more night, presented the logical portion of my brain.

But he's right there, wailed my heart. It's been such a long time and he won't mind in the end, supposedly they never do.

But I don't even know him, logic shot back.

What better way to get to know him than right now? Heart contended.

Uggghhh, logic said, throwing its arms up in frustration. Fine, but don't come complaining to me later if this ends poorly.

Heart excitedly jumped around at this conclusion.

His door swung open silently, as I eased a set of lockpicks back into my pants.

Sweety...nope...

Jack slept fitfully sprawled across his bed. I quietly shed my clothes as I clambered up the railing to settle softly next to...

Honey...still nope.

I inhaled his sweet scent of cinnamon and honey and watched as his troubled face softened as he dropped deeper into sleep. The bond between them firmed as energy washed back and forth between them in a gentle tide. Warmed by its gentle heat and metaphysical hum, I slowly drifted off to sleep, more comfortable than I had been in many years, tucked beside my...

Lover... perfect.

~ Jack ~

I awoke surprisingly rested, considering my dreams, in my bed, my nose being tickled by some stray thread from what I thought was my comforter. A soft weight rested across my chest and a light breeze tickled my ear. My subconscious mind added these disparate elements together and came to a conclusion that had me rolling awkwardly out of my bed.

Why is someone in the bed with me?

Breathing hard I tried to remember anything strange about last night but was coming up blank. I hoisted myself off the floor as I scrambled to make sense of this foreign situation.

~ Tara ~

The dual shocks of sudden cold and the fear flowing through the bond startled me into alertness. I scanned the room with natural and supernatural vision looking for threats. Not seeing any I looked upon the naked form of my love. Smirking at him playfully, I blinked my eyes slowly, and sleepily drawled, "It's chilly out, come back to bed lover."

~ Jack ~

"What are you doing in my bed...room?" I questioned, confused by the turn of events, and the girl's nonchalant attitude and state of undress.

Mainly her state of undress, if I'm being completely honest.

"How did you get in here? Why are you naked?" I said, while simultaneously realizing my own lack of clothing. Grabbing a pillow off the couch to cover my privates, I'd never regretting sleeping nude as much as I did right now. I backed against the wall to give myself some space.

"Does it bother you?" she asked, studiously ignoring my initial questions, eyes razing up and down my body.

"Yes..." I replied angrily, my face flushing at her lack of modesty. "Wait," I said in realization, looking more closely. "You're the girl from yesterday. You bit me," I stated hotly, recognizing her golden brown eyes and soft brunette hair. "What do you want from me?" I asked testily, returning her impetuous stare. "I don't know what game you're playing but you need to leave," I declared, not giving her time to respond.

"What?" she asked, surprised by his reaction, and apparently fearful at this turn in the conversation.

"You need to go. Right now. I don't know what your angle is, but I'm not going to play any part of it."

"But why? We're meant to be together," she said in a small hurt voice.

"Now I know you're trying to play me. There is no known universe where someone who looks like you," I gestured at her unabashedly naked form, "willingly hangs out with someone like me without an agenda. I have no idea what it is, but something that sounds too good to be true it probably is. You sneaking into my room and crawling into bed with me is obviously too good to be true," I said harshly, tears growing at the corner of my eyes in frustration. "Just leave me alone lady. I want nothing to do with you," I finished, voice cracking.

The woman wiped, very believable, tears from her eyes, surprising me with her dedication to the performance.

Although I don't know why? What would possess her to climb naked into bed with me?

I marched over to the door and ripped it open for her.

Maybe a rush thing for some sorority? Some sort of punishment? Oh well doesn't really matter to me, I'm done with people messing with me.

Surprising me again when, instead of exiting through the door, she marched over to me. Her face was set with grim determination as she gripped my shoulders tightly, her fingernails dug into my skin like claws. Burning holes into my eyes, her fiery gaze forced me to look away.

"Look at me," she demanded. I reluctantly turned to meet her eyes.

"I will win you over," she said hotly. "I hate to do this but, I need a second chance at a second impression. I guess head was right," she sighed. She took her thumb and pressed it firmly into the center of my forehead. I fell to the floor as my mind went plaid, wires crisscrossing every which way as the last ten minutes vanished from my mind.

A short time later, I shook my head as I pried myself off the floor, my alarm blaring in the background.

What... Why am I on the floor? I hope I haven't picked up the habit of sleepwalking, cause that would be the cherry on top of the turd sundae of my life.

Having no alternatives or explanations, I shrugged and began my morning ritual to prepare for the day.

I looked around the dining hall and sighed.

Eating alone again. Damn you advertising brochures and your overly optimistic view of college life. Where's my ethnically diverse group of laughing people to share the start of my day with?

Picking a table by the windows I sat down and began slowly placing food in my mouth, staring off into the distance. A random woman sitting down across from me broke me from my mental mapping of my schedule. I was briefly stunned by the fact that this stunning woman would willingly choose me as a dining companion. Close on the heels of the surprise was suspicion.

"Uhhhh. Hello? Can I help you with something?" I inquired, wary of any traps.

"Mind if I join you for breakfast?" she asked innocently as she started to cut up her sausage, not waiting for an answer. I gaped at her as she gave a delighted shoulder shimmy at the taste.

"I... guess not," I said, focusing on my own food. Coming to a quick decision I started to hastily shovel food in my mouth, determined to finish my breakfast as quick as possible.