Out of Sorts

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Sliding my good foot, all five toes forward seemed fairly tiring but easy enough. Next came the 4 toed bastard as if my self-image wasn't bad enough already. Thank God for shoes. It seemed to work ok just felt kind of awkward. I moved my legs again and they responded like they always have, although I was getting tired really quickly, still I at least felt a little better now that I was minimally mobile. We shuffled around my bed to the chair by the window where he helped me sit down.

Once again he took my arm raised it high and high-fived me. "That was great!"

Scooting his chair closer to mine we sat and talked, well he talked I nodded shrugged and changed facial expressions. When he noticed my face go white he looked at the doorway to see my mother. Standing up he stepped directly in front of me blocking me from her view.

"You must be Sheila," he said quietly.

Leaning around my brother a bit I saw the look in my mother's eyes, it was predatory. Holy shit.

"And who must you be," she purred? She was moving closer and closer to him until she was close enough to reach out and touch him, which of course she did. Ugh.

"I'm Draven Masters, Caine's son."

Her eyes widened then she grinned, "Mmm, yes I see the resemblance. How old are you Draven?"

Tell me she's not flirting with him 'WTF' mom. My inner voice was pissed.

"Eighteen," he offered taking a step back, he was seriously intimidated by her.

"You're big for your age, aren't you baby."

His mouth fell open in shock, the way she was eyeing him could be considered rape.

I grabbed his hand and squeezed. He finally snapped back to reality.

"Dad said you're not allowed in here anymore."

Placing her hand directly on his chest she whispered, but I want to see my baby.

A low growl sounded from the doorway followed by a gruff, "Get your hands off my son, NOW Sheila."

She turned her smile wide. "You have a handsome boy Caine, better watch out."

"You will not be seducing him. One family member of mine is enough. Leave him out of it. God only knows what you've done to Daniel if this is your preferred age group.

"That's sick Caine," she offered with a look of disgust. "He's definitely not my type, at least he's not a virgin anymore," with a flip of her frosted hair and a sigh she added, "those men made damn sure of that."

My father's expression was one of disgust and nausea, he hadn't known the extent of my injuries.

A sob escaped me that's when Draven snapped, "Get the hell out of my brother's room or so help me God I will rip your fucking throat out. The growling noise he made had her taking a step back. Eventually she looked into the cold angry eyes of my brother and father fleeing shortly after.

Dropping to his knees in front of me he touched the undamaged part of my face taking a deep breath trying to get his anger under control. "Wow your mom's a real bitch huh?"

My eyes widened in surprise, then I smiled through my tears, nodding my head emphatically.

"Yeah, I never knew my mom, but now, I'm kind of glad. Dad's taste in women is definitely fucked-up."

I grin before both of us turn to look at dad.

He of course heard the entire conversation, but instead of getting angry rolled his eyes at us. Running a hand through his hair he looks at me. "Hey how'd you get over there?"

"I helped him walk. Come look at his legs though, I think he has bed sores or something. They just don't look right."

Moving cautiously he knelt down next to Draven in front of me. "Can I look at your legs Daniel?"

I took a deep breath then nodded.

Pushing the gown onto my lap he gently ran his hands along them lifting one leg a bit to see the redness beneath it. "Yeah this doesn't look so good. I'm glad you got him out of that bed son. Maybe we can get someone to put some fresh bedding down as well."

I nod hopefully.

"Hey Danny, want to show Dad how good you walk?"

Smiling up at Draven, while reaching for his arm I try to stand, then frown at the effort before everything goes black.

When I wake again it is to find Uncle Gage standing over me crying.

"Please Lord let him be ok." He was repeating this over and over his eyes closed. I brushed his fingers which were gripping my bedside rail his eyes open suddenly meeting mine. "Oh my boy, my sweet, sweet boy, I thought we'd lost you," he whispered brokenly as he leaned down to embrace me.

I frown up at him in confusion.

"Blood clot, when you moved, it moved and well they had to resuscitate you, they managed to get it in surgery," my father said quietly in response to my look of confusion.

Nodding, I watch as he brushed tears from his eyes. He was really upset. I looked around the room and realize that Dillon and Draven are there as well. Draven's eyes are suspiciously damp. I smile sheepishly at him.

Slowly making his way to my bedside he high fives my pale shaking hand, which is followed by a guilty look, "I'm sorry for getting you out of bed. They said that's what caused it."

Shaking my head I signal for him to come closer touching his face with my good hand leaning my forehead against his.

His eyes are bright with unshed tears when he pulls back, but he's smiling.

Next came my father, "Are you feeling ok? Groggy"?

I shake my head no.

"Good," He pats my shoulder. "The doctor said you should be on the mend, but that we definitely need to get you up and walking today. Actually the nurses will do that from now on. Apparently they were supposed to be doing that all along." He rolls his eyes his face angry. "The best part of all of this is that you're going to get out of bed into a real shower."

"My eyes light up instantly."

Dillon moves next to his dad grinning mischievously at me, "Yeah too bad your shower companion will be one of those bitchy nurses."

A blush fills me from head to toe. Shit they would see me naked.

Draven smacks the back of Dillon's head, not really hard just enough. "You're such an ass sometimes. You know that right?"

"Takes one to know one."

They stayed and talked for a while until a nurse came in to take care of my walking and showering needs. I frown, but Dillon makes me laugh a little as he whispers "Have fun," wiggling his eyebrows.

My only thought being 'this sucks'.

Once it was done, clinically and thankfully quickly I felt a lot better, after I stopped blushing that is. The nurse had me walk around the nurse's station back to the room every day at least twice a day. By day four I was doing it on my own out of boredom, that's when they told my uncle he could take me home.

Uncle Gage had just begun organizing his apartment to include me in his life, so they let me stay with Draven and Dillon at my dad's for a few days.

Lying on the sofa resting my eyes I woke to the sound of the doorbell.

"Pizza," Draven hollered while passing some cash to the guy outside.

We all met in the kitchen where I grabbed some glasses for the soda.

The pizza smelled heavenly and I was thrilled. It had been forever since I'd had take-out.

Everyone grabbed a glass and a slice before heading back into the living room. We ate, watched tv and talked about nothing, well they talked, I still couldn't. It was weird, why wasn't I talking yet? Frowning I looked down at my lap wondering if I would ever talk again.

Standing in front of the bathroom mirror having finished my shower I wiped away the fog from the bathroom mirror taking time to study my face. It was bad. The scar they had left me saddled with wasn't a single slice of a blade but several jacked up grooves that had been stitched and were now healing. Pink, slightly swollen; with jagged trenches that ran along my left cheek toward my mouth. I hadn't been much to look at before, just ordinary, but now my image shifted to something else, not sure if it was in a bad ass way or an OMG scary pathetic one. Probably pathetic, I was too skinny with little muscle tone to pull off the other. Draven tapped on the door wanting in, so I turned opening it for him.

He smiled at me before his face fell. "Hey, what's wrong?"

I looked confused, shaking my head.

"Don't lie to me Daniel, I can see you're upset."

With a roll of my eyes I lifted my hand toward my cheek, pointing at it while biting my lip nervously.

Releasing a breath he shrugged, "I know, may take getting used to, but they could have done so much worse to you." His eyes were serious yet held so much compassion.

I mouthed the words 'they did,' my eyes filling with tears I fought desperately to keep from falling.

Draven stiffened a bit, nodding. "I meant that to spite them you are still alive. I don't know how you really feel about your mom, but I hope you're happier living with us. I know I am, I like having a big brother." Offering a beautiful megawatt smile he rubbed his neck nervously.

Patting his shoulder I gave a shy smile to confirm what he said, that I did like living with him, being a part of this family is so very different from what I was used to. Although my dad kept his distance, Uncle Gage, Draven, and Dillon were very affectionate taking care of me and my injuries with so much love and compassion I felt overwhelmed.

A week later I was living with Uncle Gage, he'd bought me a cell phone with unlimited texting, cause hey, couldn't talk, so it was even more perfect for me. Draven and I texted back and forth every day. I was also in the process of trying to do makeup work because of all the school I missed. My teachers were pretty cool about it, but I still wanted to get caught up didn't want to get held back or anything.

I got a lot of sympathy from the teachers, who apparently knew the truth and a few students who were privy to their conversations.

Shit. I hadn't even begun to think about the gossip, or that they might know what those men did to me. I hoped that all they knew was the broken hand and visible scars. Still, it was more than I wanted them to, but seemed better than them knowing everything that was just something I couldn't live with.

Everyday I'd go to school get my catch up work and my daily work then bust my hump to get it all done that night, mostly I made sure my daily work got handed in on time and then spent the weekend doing all the makeup crap that was required. It really sucked being gone for so long.

•Hey big brother, I'm coming by to pick you up after school so get ready

•K, where? : )

•Movie!!

•Sweet. I'll be ready.

I waited and waited. I kept checking for a text from him but he never answered. After about an hour of hanging out in front of the school I texted Uncle Gage.

•Um, sorry to bother you at work, but Draven said he'd pick me up after school and he still isn't here, not texting me back either : (

•I'll call Caine and pick you up.

•Ok, sorry.

•NP

Gage was tense when he picked me up. A short time later we arrived at Draven's house. What the hell was going on?

We got out of the car and met Dillon and Caine who had just pulled in behind us.

Dillon looked scared, and worried, my dad didn't look much better.

"Anything?"

"He's not answering."

"You don't think they..."

"Don't, we don't know that for certain."

I was listening to the weird conversation until it began to sink in. Tears sprang into my eyes as we stood in the living room. No, no, no. Not him please don't let them hurt him.

Gage took one look at me and pulled me into his arms. "We're jumping to conclusions. Let's calm down."

Suddenly Caine's phone rang it was Draven, everyone released a breath. "Well it's about time you had us worried son."

"Caine Masters?"

All the color drained from my father's face.

"Now we unequivocally have YOUR SON!" The line went dead and the fear and fury built within my father his eyes changed color, and his clothes began to tear.

"They have Draven," he roared even as all his features began to change and turn.

Holy Fuck, my father just, he just and then I passed out.

I woke up to the voices of my uncle and father arguing. "Damn it Caine, how the hell am I supposed to explain this to him. He's been traumatized enough, somehow I don't think you shifting helped," he said sarcastically.

"Maybe he'll remember something anything about where they held him. Please, they'll kill him if we do nothing, I can't not do something."

I need to remember. My dad just turned into a w-w...no... focus, I can't think about what he just did, no it wasn't real, it can't be.

Shit, I need to remember the bad stuff, what they did to me. Tears streamed down my face as I tried to recall something anything. The smell, the sounds, warehouse definitely, um near lots of birds, ugh, think, think...water the sound it smelled bad. Some creaky old boats. I could see the city when they brought me. The thing they used to cover my face was thin. Out over the water was the outline of buildings. It wasn't a long drive so it had to be near, please let it be near.

I sat up and frantically began texting my uncle. He pulled out his phone then realizing who it was, turned to me.

"Hey, you ok?"

I shook my head, spilling more tears.

"We're gonna find Draven, I promise, we just have to figure out where to look."

I point to his phone it's then that he began reading my text, his eyes going wide.

Caine kept his distance not knowing what kind of reception he'd get after his change.

Gage stood up, "We need to go, call some people. Daniel remembers being in a warehouse district across the river from the city. We're going to find him Caine, I promise." Turning toward me he leaned down kissing the top of my head. "My brave beautiful boy. Keep Dillon company, I love you stay safe."

Caine's eyes shined brightly as he followed his brother out the door in a tee shirt and sweats.

Dillon swallowed nervously sitting beside me. Holding my good hand he just sat there surfing channels until we landed on the cooking channel. Then we were frozen in time waiting for word from Uncle Gage and Caine.

Pulling out my phone I typed in a message and then handed the phone for Dillon to read.

•What is dad?

He was shaking

"Not supposed to talk about it"

I frowned looking at him

•Am I what he is?

He shook his head no. Releasing a sigh I sank back into the couch. Then a minute later I suddenly sat up looking at him nervously and mouthed, Are you?

He nodded, wiping his palms on his pants.

I typed another sentence and handed the phone over,

•Draven and Uncle Gage?

He nodded his head yes.

•But if you and Draven are why aren't I?

He tilted his head to look at me as if I were completely stupid. "Your mom's a slut, remember?"

Those words broke the silence that had fallen around us and made me giggle, not sure why this wasn't really the time but they did.

Dillon gave me a sad smile

They aren't my family kept playing over and over in my head.

I typed another message.

•But Uncle Gage said...does he know I'm not really Caine's?

Dillon gave me a look that said it all, I was completely stupid, of-course Gage knew.

Oh.

I held my cell phone tightly against my chest willing them to call and say everything was ok and that Draven didn't have a scratch on him.

We had both sat there lost in our own thoughts a few hours later when my phone went off scaring the crap out of me.

•Draven at hospital. On way to get you both.

Dillon looked at me with worry, "Well."

I showed him my phone. He released a breath then hugged me, tears dripping down his cheeks.

We heard a car pull up not long after, but just as I was about to answer the door Dillon grabbed my arm and shook his head. Pulling me away from the front and out the back, we ran. I was never much of an athlete and this was not the least bit normal for me.

I stopped, panting hard not understanding why we just ran. Staring at me as if we had been skipping the entire time he had me climb on his back. I know I'm skinny and maybe a little weak but I'm at least one twenty. He began running again this time with me as added weight. I was kind of impressed. We were headed out of town, at least I think we were he had chosen the woods as our path and I had no idea which way we were going, thankfully he did. At least I hope he did. 'Where are we going?'

I felt him stumble then compensate quickly, "Your mom's house."

He must have felt me stiffen in shock because he laughed, "I can't read your mind you goof you said that out loud."

"Really? Oh hey."

"You're not the sharpest tool in the shed are you?"

"Draven was right, you are an ass."

Both of us got quiet when we remembered my brother.

"Enough talking big brother come on."

It took an hour or so, but eventually we arrived at my house. I was surprised. He'd never been there before and yet hadn't had to ask for directions either. Weird. Coming from the wooded area behind we slipped into the back yard and then made our way inside. I walked into the living room and froze. Dillon cursed, grabbing my arm, turning me away from the grizzly scene.

My mother lay in a puddle of her own blood her face frozen in a look of fear. The rest of her, torn to pieces.

I'd never seen anything like this before. Dead bodies were only on tv, I could watch them there but not here, not real life and definitely not my mom.

She'd been...I closed my eyes then ran out the back door into the woods. Dillon followed quietly. I couldn't stop shaking then threw up. Tears were streaming down my already too pale face. With a forlorn expression he held out his hand to me. For a minute I just stared at it, not knowing what to do. Eventually though I accepted it, letting him lead me away. My mom was dead. Sure she was a whoring bitch, but she was still my mom. I just couldn't believe. I felt so scared and sick.

Eventually we wandered into town, there was a McDonalds that seemed perfect, after-all they were open 24 hours we could sit in the back where no one would see us. He got us both fries and a coke before sitting down next to me. I laid my head on his shoulder and cried quietly.

He was solemn, stoic. We just sat there, waiting, wondering. It was the hardest thing I'd ever done in my life, well, maybe the second hardest, torture is a bitch to ignore.

My phone had taken several text messages, but I just didn't trust them. It could be another set up and I-I didn't want to die. I'd been ignoring them for an hour. Eventually though, there was a call on my phone. Uncle Gage knew I couldn't talk so he wouldn't call would he? I let it go to voicemail then checked it to see if it was a wrong number or something. The message was from Uncle Gage, they were frantically looking for us. Handing the phone to Dillon he called back immediately.

"Hello?"

When I heard his voice I began to shake.

Dillon put his arm around my shoulder, "Hey Uncle Gage, uh, we've had some problems."

"God, I was so worried. Are you both alright?"

Taking a deep breath he whispered, "Did, did you find Draven?"

I looked at Dillon needing to know, but scared to.

His body relaxing let me know that whatever my uncle had said was positive

"Is Dad there, can I talk to him?"

Tears finally began to ease down his cheeks.

Dillon hadn't told me what my uncle had said but I gathered it wasn't very good.

We waited no more than twenty minutes before Uncle Gage pulled up.

Getting out of the car he gathered us in his arms. "God I'm so happy to see you!"

Kissing the top of my head repeating the process with Dillon he whispered, "Come on, let's get back to the hospital."

Draven looked bad, his skin waxy and burned in areas. Dillon walked up to his bedside, touching his hand.

I sat down not knowing what to say or do with myself.

"I'll take you both down to see your father now."

We went down a long hallway and then turned left down another before finally reaching him. I looked around, only now realizing that this wasn't the same hospital I had been in. It was different.

123456...9