Out of Sorts

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

A few weeks passed before I got up the nerve to have the 'wolf' talk with Draven. I still wasn't comfortable around my dad and I didn't want to insult Uncle Gage sure he's known me the longest, but I felt awkward just the same.

Draven and I have had a unique connection from the first moment we met. I'm not certain what it is or why, but it's special.

Coming down the hall I tapped on his bedroom door.

"Come in."

He was at his computer, headphones on listening to music.

"Um, Draven c-can I talk to you?"

Apparently my serious face made him nervous because he shut down everything.

Taking a seat on his bed he reclined against the head board.

"Sure, what's up?"

"Promise not to get mad."

He gave me a searching look then a tentative smile and nodded. "Yeah, shoot."

"I-I want to know about the wolf stuff. I uh only saw that one time and we really didn't talk about it cause you and dad were in the hospital and we were so scared and I guess I kind of was in shock and didn't want to think about it but now I am and I don't know what to think or how to ask and I don't want to hurt your feelings or anything I just want to understand."

"Oh ok," he visibly relaxed, patting a spot next to him on the bed. "What did you want to know?"

"Ev-everything."

"Okaaaay," he said stretching the word out with a grin. "Well I guess the first thing you need to know is that I'm obviously team Jacob."

Rolling my eyes I give him a weak punch. "You're such an ass."

Grinning he glances down at me. "Yeah I know. So why don't we narrow down this discussion. First of all we are not were-wolves, we're wolf shifters."

The confused look I gave him made him laugh.

"Ok, um there are many different types of shifters in the world, people who can shift into other animals, we have our human form and our animal form. My family's ability is to shift into the form of a wolf."

"Are you...do you remember stuff when you're a wolf or are you just like a normal animal?"

"I'm still me, but with some obvious wolf-like tendencies."

"Like humping the furniture and peeing on trees," I asked facetiously."

He grins, "Yeah, something like that."

"Do you change with the moon or is that a movie thing?"

"Shifters can change anytime they want. We don't have to wait."

"Oh, so you could change right now if you wanted to?"

"Yeah."

"Um is your wolf why you can hear my heart beat?"

"Yeah that and my sniffer works exceptionally well. I know your scent and could follow it for miles if I had to."

"Ewww." I wrinkled my nose. "Thank God I shower, huh?"

He laughed. "Can't disagree there."

"Dillon gave me a two hour piggy back ride the day you were um kid-napped, so I'm guessing strength is part of the deal too?"

"We're pretty strong and we heal quickly, there are a lot of benefits to being a shifter," he said leaning forward his legs now crossed.

We were facing each other both sitting Indian style. He's so easy to talk to that I forgot to be nervous. "Were you born like that?"

Draven nodded, "We all were, I think it was a great or a great great that was turned and started the whole wolf thing in our family." He was biting his lip obviously trying to remember which ancestor had begun the line of shifters.

"Do you like it?"

"Yeah it's fun. We own about 2,000 acres three hours east of here and we have a little cabin there. It's great. Wolves like to run and play, it's their nature and when we're in that form it's an even closer bond, we're a pack. I don't know how to explain it, but it feels like we're closer than family."

God that sounded great. I had wanted to be a part of a family for so long and now I had them, but not really. Maybe there was a way to be even closer. "C-can you change me?"

Draven jerked a bit in surprise, "Wow, um I don't know, can't believe you'd let me though."

I looked at him offering a nervous laugh, "It was just a thought, but yeah, I mean I trust you," shrugging I look away.

He studied my face for a second longer seeing the blush he turned away. There's a gleam in his eyes, perhaps a bit of pride as well at my confession. "So anything else you want to ask?"

I nod sitting up a little straighter. "Are shifters, are they like, like high school?"

Tilting his head he looks at me cross eyed, "What?"

I laugh, he looks so silly then before I can lose my nerve just go for it, "Do you have, cheerleaders, nerds, jocks, bullies, g-gays?"

"Daniel," he whispered quietly feeling my anxiety, "what do you really want to ask?"

Peeking up at him through my lashes, I mumble, "Will dad kick me out if I find out I'm gay?"

Draven froze for a moment before realizing what I said. "Wait," he said holding up a hand, "you don't know if your gay or not?"

I look down at my knees, having suddenly folded myself up hugging my legs to my chest. "No. S-sometimes, I think, but then I remember and then I'm not sure I could do those things." Tears slid down my cheeks.

Leaning his forehead against mine he stared into my eyes. "Don't cry Daniel. I'm not mad and dad won't be either. And yes there are all types of shifters just like in high school."

"I'm, I'm sorry. I'm being a baby." Wiping my cheeks with back of my hand I tried to calm down.

"Naw, it's ok big brother."

After a few minutes I pull myself together somewhat to ask a few more questions.

"Um do, do shifters marry?" Since Dad and Uncle Gage were both single and had never married I figured this was a valid question.

"Yeah, but we also mate for life, once we find the one."

"If it's anything like marriage it's hit or miss right?"

Shaking his head Draven grins, "No this is an animal instinct that kicks in. According to Dad, when it does happen you crave that person and need to be with them. The connection is so deeply embedded that some can even feel their mate's emotions when separated."

"That would definitely make life easier, having an inner alarm alerting you to the love of your life. And knowing that they are having the same feeling is even better, no drama, just sex."

I giggle setting off Draven.

"Well I'd hope to at least get her name first, but then hell yeah, sex!"

"Can shifters find a mate with a human or do they only find their mate in other shifters?"

Shrugging he smiles. "Don't know hasn't happened to anyone that I've heard of, but then I don't really hang out with other shifters besides my family."

"Oh. Ok." I change positions, moving to sit next to and eventually leaning on my brother. Closing my eyes sighing in contentment I feel safe and warm. "You make me sleepy."

I can hear the smile in his voice. "Why is that?"

"You're always warm, like a blanket."

I had already started to doze off when I heard him whisper, "It's ok, go to sleep if you're tired, I'm just gonna get online unless you still have some more questions."

"Mmm-nnnn." Yawning I curl up and drift off.

"Dad have you ever changed a human?"

Caine looked up from his dinner slightly shocked by the question. Glancing momentarily at me he then met Draven's eyes. "No, I haven't. Have you?"

His shoulders were tense and expression blank. Damn, his scowl made me cower and he wasn't even directing it toward me.

Draven blinked then laughed, "Uh no dad. I'm not that stupid. I was just wondering if you knew how it worked?"

Caine sat back in the dining room chair making it creak. He extended his legs and gave my poor brother a lethal look. "Yes, I do and it can be very dangerous that's why it's rarely done."

"Oh." Drave sat back quietly.

My father stared at each one of us intently, "Anything else while we're on this subject?"

I shivered a bit having second thoughts, but still asked my question. "Have shifters ever found their mates in other species or humans?"

Leaning forward, elbows on the table he laced his fingers together resting his chin on them. "I've heard of such, but haven't known them personally. Most would probably change their human during mating into a shifter, making it impossible for me to know."

Dillon blinked in fascination.

Draven frowned before looking up at his dad. "So if I were to turn Daniel you wouldn't be able to scent that he was born human."

Dillon's eyebrows were raised in surprise. As were mine because he had just made me the focus of this conversation.

"I'm fairly certain all I would detect is that he is wolf." Caine stared deeply into Draven's eyes. "All of this...," he waved his hand in the air, "this conversation, it's just curiosity right?"

Draven rolled his eyes, "Yes dad. Me and Daniel were discussing it and it got me to thinking and wondering. I'd never thought to ask about it before."

The look on dad's face was priceless, it never occurred to him to have more than just the birds and bees talk I guess. "That brings up a very important subject that you both need to know about."

Dillon and Draven lean forward curiously.

"When you decide to have sex," he mumbles his face turning pink at the thought, "your wolf will be desperate to come out, if you're with a human the consequences could be deadly. You could shift and then savage their throat; turn them, or accidently rape them."

"Oh my God." Draven's face was white as a sheet. Mine was no doubt green and queasy looking.

Dillon looked confused, "Um how exactly do you accidently rape someone?"

"Maybe that wasn't the right way to put it but basically if you do not control your beast he will be the one making the decisions that night, in other words seriously rough sex. If you're with other shifters this is nothing new, but if it's with a human virgin or not, well, it can be painful and terrifying."

Dillon frowned, he hoped he lost his virginity to a female shifter thinking that he never wanted to have the added pressure of trying to keep his wolf at bay.

Draven bit his lip then looked at me and gasped. Tears were streaming down my face as I sat there shaking.

My father turned toward me just as Draven jumped up and came around to my side of the table.

Dad's eyes were filled with regret. Truthfully I don't think he knew what to do with me. I wasn't strong like his sons or a wolf, and it probably worried him.

I felt my brother's hand against my cheek trying to wipe away the dampness. "I'm sorry, I didn't even think."

Nodding I looked into his eyes.

He was currently kneeling beside my chair. "Bad memories, but we're safe now right? Those shifters can't hurt you anymore."

I nod. "Do you have night mares too?" We typically didn't discuss our torture or the scars they left.

"Yeah." Draven lowered his eyes as if he considered it a weakness to go back to that moment even unconsciously.

I held his eyes for a moment. "Me too."

Patting my head he came to his feet. "We'll be fine big brother. Together we're stronger. I can feel it, can't you?"

I'd always been able to feel the bond he spoke of, it was the only thing that made me feel safe while in the hospital and I came to depend on it when I moved in with them. Nodding my head he smiled in return.

Watching me and my brother, hearing our conversation, it continued to confuse my father especially the closeness we seemed to share, he was curious about the bond that Draven spoke of, I could see it in his eyes, although I wondered about it too.

"Hey dad when are we heading back to the cabin, I could use a good run if you know what I mean?"

Dad looked at Dillon with pride, "Yep and I could go for a run myself, hmm we'll see maybe this weekend if you like."

With a fist pump he turned back to his plate. "Heck yeah."

I guess the fact that the conversation was lost on me showed, because Draven answered my unspoken question. "We shift and run as a pack."

My eyes grew large in surprise. "Oh. Um ok."

They all look at me sensing my unease.

Dillon's face brightened, by-passing my obvious distress. "Hey you haven't actually seen our wolf forms have you?"

Swallowing a lump in my throat I shake my head. "N-no."

Sitting up his head tilted Draven shared a smile with me. "Want to see mine?"

I jerk back a little in surprise. "Uh yeah I guess." Turning to look at my dad I bit my lip nervously. "Is it ok, if he shows me his wolf?"

Dad chuckled, "Yeah, Daniel its fine. Typically we spend some time as wolves here at the house, but I didn't want to scare you, so we haven't."

"I'm sorry. Y-you can if you want to. I promise not to faint this time."

Dillon laughed.

"Why don't we take it one wolf at a time?" Dad turned his gaze to my brother saying, "Draven, let's get him used to you first."

Nodding he left the dining room table heading toward the living room I follow taking a seat on the sofa. Dad and Dillon stay at the table and watch from where they are.

Draven's eyes flash gold in anticipation, "Ok, now remember to hold out your hand like you would a dog so my wolf can scent you then if you feel comfortable you can pet me or whatever. Just don't run, or my wolf will chase you and want to play."

Nodding I bit my lip.

"You sure about this?"

"Yeah, I'm ok," I say sounding anything but.

Draven takes his shirt off, displaying his six pack abs. Wow, he must work out a lot, it was as that thought crossed my mind that he unbuttoned and unzipped his jeans, whoa, what the hell? "Um what are you doing?"

Frowning he looks at me, "I'll tear my clothes if I shift now and trust me that gets expensive fast. Just pretend we're in a locker room."

My face turned beet red.

Next his underwear fell to the floor as my dad explained, "For us nudity is normal Daniel, we aren't shamed by it like everyone else is. It's natural."

Nodding I turn back toward Draven.

"Ready?"

My eyes lock with his as he begins to shift. Three seconds later I am staring at a big ass wolf no more than twelve inches in front of me. In this form on all fours he is at least four and half feet tall, bulked with fur and muscle looking menacingly ferocious, sharp white canines peeking out as a reminder of what he is capable of.

It takes me a minute before I realize that I have stopped breathing. Releasing the pent up breath I slowly, nervously extend my hand. The silver wolf cautiously approaches sniffing then licking it.

"So beautiful," I whisper, my hand sweeping over his head and ears into his coat, which is puppy fur soft. Then I make my dad and other brother laugh by 'baby talking' to the creature before me, "Who's a sweet boy? You are, yes you are."

I scratch his ears which start his hind leg shaking and continue to pat and stroke him. Finally I throw my arms around him hugging tightly. "You are the most wonderful wolf I've ever seen, I so want to keep you," and without thinking I look back at my father in the other room and shout, "Dad can I keep him?"

Dillon starts giggling, which makes dad laugh. It takes a minute before I realize what I've done. The wolf huffs at me and growls.

"Shit Draven I'm sorry, you're just so amazing and I've always wanted a pet, but mom would never let me have one, probably because of her stupid boyfriends," I grumble.

Can wolves sigh, it sounds like a sigh and then Draven nuzzles me licking my face? Resting my cheek against his neck I close my eyes, sighing in contentment. "Such a good boy, I love you so much."

I stayed in that position with my arms wrapped around him until Uncle Gage came through the door.

"Hey, what's going on?"

Caine stood up grinning from ear to ear. "We decided to introduce Daniel to Draven's wolf. Dillon wants us to go run this weekend and I thought this would be the easiest way to begin."

Nodding my uncle smiles at me, "So are you ok with this, with what we are Daniel," there were equal parts of pride and worry in his tone?

I nod happily while continuing to pet and snuggle Draven.

Dillon smirks, "He asked if we could keep him," nodding toward his brother's wolf.

Biting back a laugh Gage grins, "Did he now"?

Sitting up briefly I stick my tongue out at Dillon before turning back to my furry brother, snuggling closer.

"Isn't he beautiful Uncle Gage?"

Walking into the living room he pets Draven's head before taking a seat across from us. "Yes he is."

Draven's tail wags happily while licking my face.

"I can't wait until this weekend this is so cool."

Releasing a sigh Gage glances up across the room at my dad then walks back toward the dining room. "This is good. I'm glad they're so close."

Dad smiles back nodding at his brother, "Yeah me too."

It seemed to take forever for Friday to come. I felt even more of a pull to be near Draven since meeting his wolf. I'd taken to petting him even in his human form which made him smirk. Dillon teased me about it, but I just couldn't stop, I adored him and his wolf.

When we got to the cabin the sun was going down. My family was as keyed up as I was and I didn't have a wild beast inside ready to stretch his paws.

Dillon whooped loudly while bringing in his bag and a few grocery's.

Putting them down in the kitchen he started to take off his clothes, "Come on Draven, let's go!"

My brothers stripped and shifted so quickly I barely saw them as they took off into the woods, yipping and howling like a couple of puppies.

My father and uncle both shook their heads laughing.

"Alright Daniel it's our turn." Smiling at me, Uncle Gage then turned away stripping off his own clothes. "After I shift I'll come up to you and sniff don't be scared alright?"

Nodding I grinned. I love Uncle Gage, he could shift into Godzilla and not scare me one bit.

After a few seconds his large Black wolf stepped up to me. Holding my hand out I let him sniff and lick my palm in acceptance.

My father shifted next his fur similar to my uncles, but his muzzle silver, instead of black. He was pretty cool looking actually. Again my hand reached out this time for him to sniff. Dad let me pet him then yipped, startling me at the sound. His tongue dangled over his teeth in a crooked looking smile then took off. My uncle's wolf stopped at the door, looking back with serious eyes.

"It's ok Uncle Gage, I'm fine, go have fun." Giving a nod the beautiful wolf disappeared as well.

Releasing a sigh I went out onto the back porch wishing I was a wolf too. It occurred to me that while my family was out on a run, there was nothing keeping me at the house, I could go explore the woods too.

I wandered the property for about a half-hour I guess but it just wasn't as much fun on my own not to mention it was almost dark, so I headed back, getting lost along the way. It wasn't a big deal, I just kept going and happened upon a pond that looked like the perfect place to rest and relax.

Kicking off my tennis shoes I dipped my feet in the water, then before I knew what I was doing, stripped off my clothes in a bold moment and jumped in. They were right, there was something natural about being naked, granted I wasn't planning on having a naked party with my family any time soon, but I did feel more comfortable than I thought I would.

I swam for about an hour before I heard rustling in the bushes. It scared me and I tread water while trying to peer into the darkness while swimming to the far side of the pond away from the noise. I slowly climbed up on the bank prepared to run if I needed to when I heard a yip and saw a wolf running with my clothes.

"Noooo! Damn it!" I didn't see if it was Draven or Dillon that took my clothes but I wasn't happy about it. Putting on my shoes, which he kindly left for me I headed in the direction I thought the house was butt naked.

An hour later I started to get worried. A sense of direction was obviously not my strong-suit, and it was seriously dark.

I looked ridiculous bare-assed in running shoes. It didn't occur to me for at least another thirty minutes that my family had better hearing than most and would likely be able to hear me if I called out, at least I hoped so.

123456...9