Out of Sorts

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Dad! Uncle Gage? I'm lost," I shouted as loud as I could. I didn't hear anything, but hey I wasn't part wolf.

I waited and waited and then heard a rustle in the bushes, turning I scanned the area then smirked, "Stop trying to prank me you guys I'm tired and hungry".

It wasn't until I saw the cat's eyes that I truly got scared.

The growls coming out of the over-sized kitty were scary enough but when it finally edged its way from the bushes I knew I was royally fucked, panther, bob cat, jungle cat, hell I didn't know one from the other all I could see was this wild thing that looked capable of tearing me apart or giving me rabies at the very least. Shit. My first instinct was to run but I remembered what Draven had told me about his wolf, if I ran it would chase me and so would this thing. Damn it, Damn it, Damn it. I couldn't out run a second grader let alone a wild animal.

"DAD!!" I screamed praying that they would hear and somehow come and find me.

When I heard growling from behind me I freaked, scared that another wild animal had come to eat me too! Then the cat took off in the opposite direction. Thank God, I sighed turning around to see my uncle and father's wolves behind me. Walking up to them I petted both. Releasing a pent up breath I mumbled, "Thanks, can we go back to the cabin now, I'm starved."

Dad licked my hand then took off at a run. I followed running at first but tiring out half-way. Shit how far did I wander. Getting tired I stopped for a moment, trying to catch my breath.

"Hey big brother what's taking so long?"

I look up to see Draven standing there in a pair of jeans and sneakers.

Frowning I glared at him. "I have no idea where the fuck I am in relation to the damn cabin, that's what's taking so long," I snap. "I'm naked getting eaten up by bugs and I'm fucking starving."

He blinked at me in shock, Apparently I'd never shown this particular side to him.

Putting his hands up in a universal gesture of surrender he waited for me to calm down.

Running a hand through my hair I sigh. "Sorry. I got lost and I just want to get back."

"We're about a half mile away want some jeans, maybe a piggy back ride?"

"Jeans would be great, thanks." I slip on the jeans before climbing up on my brothers back.

We were both shirtless and I was sweaty, it just felt weird being pressed against his back. "Well this isn't the least bit awkward," I mumble.

Laughing he turned his head a bit to catch my eyes. "It's ok you know, shifters are very affectionate whether we are dressed or not," he said wiggling his eyebrows for extra emphasis.

"Nice. And for the record I don't object to the closeness but the naked time creeps me out a bit."

Draven laughed out loud. "It's fine, you don't have to run naked if you don't want to."

"Thanks ever so much."

I could smell barbecue the closer we got to the house and realized happily that my uncle and father were relaxing on the front porch with smoke escaping the grill. I was so hungry I could eat a horse but nothing smelled better than whatever it was that was currently cooking.

Dad sipped a beer, offering us kids some soda's from the ice chest.

"Tomorrow you and I will go explore together, hearing you scream for dad scared the crap out of me."

"You? You weren't the one staring at that huge ass cat. I just knew I was going to be its dinner."

"Naw we'd never let that happen."

When dad opened the grill I saw the steaks in all their charcoaled glory. Drool formed at the corner of my mouth.

The conversation was nonexistent as we all chowed down like rabid animals.

The next day, true to his word Draven and I went exploring, he as a wolf and me as me of course. I wore jeans sneakers and ratty t-shirt in hopes of having an adventure, maybe not as scary as the cat, but something closely resembling fun.

It was so easy to talk to Draven in his wolf form. I kept forgetting he wasn't my faithful pet. After an hour of walking and hiking I started talking to him not really realizing how much I was revealing it all started so innocently.

"Wow it's so beautiful out here," I said a little out of breath. "Can't believe you're sharing this place with me." Draven licked my hand affectionately and I in turn petted him.

"It's a dream come true." Heading down a path I sighed happily. "Wow if I'd known my fairy god mother was out granting wishes I would have thrown Gray in there too." Giggling at my own joke Draven's wolf looked at me tilting his head in curiosity.

"Oh, have I not mentioned him? Hmm. Gray is my school's quarterback. A 6'2, brunette God with the most amazing blue eyes I've ever seen." I sigh like a fan girl, before hearing my wolf make a huffing sound like he can't believe how silly I am. "Let's just say he's good looking and leave it at that," I mumble with a blush.

Draven's wolf growls a little and puts his nose at my crotch sniffing.

I jump back nervously. "Ok, ok he's, he's kinda my ideal. Sheesh, don't be so nosy." I giggle at the pun I just made.

"You'd have to see him to understand, he runs around without his shirt after school and he's just plain sexy although, if I'm being truthful, Draven has better abs," I offer, not thinking. "And his skin is flawless." I release another sigh, this one on behalf of Draven. "God, the first time he took off his clothes in front of me I nearly ca..." looking down at my pet wolf our eyes meet at the same time reality slams into me. My face turns red in shame.

"Shit! I-I'm sorry, please don't be mad. Please Draven." I'm begging even as I back away afraid of his reaction. "I would never touch you like that or hurt you. I know you're not gay. Just don't hate me." I start crying while backing away only to fall on my ass.

Draven's wolf stand's over me staring into my eyes for a minute before finally leaning down to lick my face. I sniff and start to say something when his tongue slips into my mouth.

"Hey don't French me dude," I laugh before wrapping my arms around his neck. "I really do love you Draven," I offer pressing my face into his fur. "I especially love your wolf."

Climbing on top of me he lowers his body onto mine his tongue hanging from the side of his mouth.

Licking the side of my face he appears to be smiling. Then he gets up and tugs at my hand with his teeth, urging me to get up. Shrugging I do as he wants following him.

"Draven, you won't tell anyone what I said back there, will you?"

His wolf turns to look at me with a huff of indignation.

"Sorry, it's just. Well I don't know what this is."

His wolf nods at me but continues our walk.

When we arrive at a large pond forty-five minutes later I smile. He jumps in and I strip off my clothes to go in after him. We swim for a bit and then he shifts in the water. I blink in surprise. "H-hi Draven." I'm stuttering...great as if my blush isn't telling enough.

He smirks then climbs out of the pond, sitting on the edge with his feet dangling.

"We need to talk Daniel," he says quietly.

I close my eyes and bite my lip nervously while treading water. "I-I know, but I really meant what I said."

Grinning he murmurs, "Glad to know you won't rape me."

My face falls and he realizes it isn't that funny. "Sorry."

I nod.

Extending his hand I take it and he pulls me up onto the grass setting me unbelievably close to him. I shift nervously my hands covering my privates.

"Daniel, you can talk to me the same way you do when I'm a wolf."

Shaking my head I frown, "It's different when you're a wolf, for some reason I feel like you're mine. When you're human, you're just you."

Kicking his feet in the water he looks up at me as if my words surprise him. "Really?"

"Yeah, I feel something, It's like our bond but even stronger."

"My wolf thinks you're his too. I don't really understand it either, but you're right whatever it is it's stronger."

"Oh, ok, good. I thought I was losing my mind or something..."

"Naw, you're not or if you are we're losing them together."

"That's comforting," I smirk.

Wrapping his arm around my shoulders he half hugs me. "I love you too Daniel. I'll never let anything bad happen to you ever again."

It sounded like a pledge not just a sentiment and I was comforted by it.

"So this football player you've been drooling over, do you talk to him much?"

A blush fills my face, "No, I-I've never spoken to him, not really."

"Hmm. You should try what have you got to lose?"

"But he's never alone, I-I don't even know if he likes guys."

Draven frowns a moment then shrugs, "How about just trying to get to know him first, become his friend. Then if he's a straight arrow, no harm, no foul."

"Yeah I guess that could work," I whisper not sounding the least bit confident.

"I guess you weren't athletic or outgoing before huh," he asks with a smirk.

Rolling my eyes, I groan. "Not at all, guess you are though huh? You could enroll in my school on Monday morning and be his best friend by noon."

"I like sports, always have, but I don't choose my friends based on that and I doubt he does either. You just need to put yourself out there."

"Yeah cause I'm so dazzling people are jockeying for friendship positions."

Nudging my shoulder with his own, he turns with a smile, "If they knew how strong you really are, they would be. I'm glad we're family."

Nodding I blink several times to clear the tears that threaten to spill. "Me too."

"Want to keep exploring or are you ready to head back?"

"Let's explore for another hour then head back."

"Sounds good, big brother, I'll just slip into something a little more comfortable," three seconds later he had shifted back into his silver wolf form.

I love to watch him shift, he is so beautiful. Burying my face in his fur I grin. "Alright Drave let me get dressed and then we can head out." He responds by licking my face.

It was a good hike. We came across a cave and explored it a little before heading off down another path. We saw some baby bob cats and heard the territorial mothers growl before heading down another path away from the family.

It was the best weekend of my life, cook outs running around with my family. I love that my family is a pack of wolves. Hm. Never thought that particular phrase would ever pop into my head or that wolf-shifters and werewolves were even real for that matter. Maybe I was crazy, but this life seemed better than my supposed normal one.

Monday came fast, too fast, but before we left for school, Draven reminded me of our discussion.

"Don't forget, you're going to at the very least talk to Gray right?"

I nod. "Yeah."

"Good. Go get 'em bro!"

I made it through my first three classes nervously but couldn't avoid it any longer once I saw him at lunch.

Heading toward his table taking a deep breath I eventually make eye contact with him. Forcing a smile I get within five feet when I realize, I have absolutely nothing to talk about. Closing my eyes on a groan, I take the nearest empty seat. 'Stupid, stupid, stupid,' I mutter to myself. 'You can't just walk up to Gray Bishop.'

Frowning I stare down at the table.

"Hey Daniel."

Looking up I go pale. He's standing right beside me.

"Uh, h-hi Gray."

Taking a seat beside me on the bench he smiles. "So how are you doing?"

Shrugging I look up at him through my lashes. "Good I guess."

"A little while ago it looked like you wanted to say something to me."

"Yeah, well, I was talking to my brother and he said that I should try to be more outgoing."

"I didn't know you had a brother?"

"Oh uh, yeah I live with my dad now, he has two sons. Um Draven's a year younger than us, he goes to a different school across town and is kind of like you."

He looked surprised and somewhat curious. "How do you mean like me?"

"You know good at athletics, lots of friends," I shrug nervously.

"Oh, so does he play football too?"

"Yeah he plays for Ramsey."

"Wow, that's a private school right?"

"Yeah, they have uniforms and everything. He hates them."

Grinning Gray shakes his head, "Yeah that part would suck, but I hear they are a great school."

"I guess."

"You going to change schools next year?"

This was nice, Gray was talking to me and it was a real conversation, I was so happy I was almost giddy. "Doubt it. I kind of want to finish school here. I mean I know everyone already. It would be weird to start over as a senior in a strange place."

"But your brother is there."

"I don't want to use him or his popularity that's his school, his life and this place is mine."

Gray blinked, surprised by my statement I guess.

"Never thought about it like that, but you're right, don't know what I'd do if I'd gone through all that you have and had to change schools."

Rubbing my neck nervously I sigh, "Guess you heard all about that huh?"

"My mom is a nurse at the hospital," he shrugged a sad expression replacing the normal twinkle.

I guess the stark terror that he might know everything reflected in my face because he put his hand on my arm and hushed me, "Hey it's alright. None of the rumors were bad just stuff like you were in witness protection and the mafia had finally caught up with your family. Stupid shit like that. No real details about what you went through."

"W-witness p-protection," I gasped. Then a small smile crossed my lips. Giggling at the thought I murmured, "Ok."

While we were talking Jake, my school bully walked past our table.

"New boyfriend," he asked only slightly under his breath?

I blushed looking anywhere but at Gray. Gray on the other hand growled. I looked up in time to see his eyes change from blue to gold, something I always liked about him. Draven's did the same thing when he...and then it hit me.

I gasped, "You're ...," realizing what I was saying I stopped midsentence. "Um I-I'm sorry Gray I-I have to go," I offered as I jumped up basically running from the cafeteria.

The intense look he gave had me scared to death. Would he hurt me? I mean I knew my family were nice, but not all of them were. After all it was shifters who tortured and raped me, electrocuted Draven and clawed my mom to pieces. The memories and images hit me hard. When I got to the bathroom I started hyperventilating just splashing water on my face wasn't working, I couldn't calm down. Tears filled my eyes. I tried calling Draven, but he didn't answer. Locking myself in a stall I stayed there the remainder of the day not knowing what else to do.

When the final bell rang I waited an extra twenty-minutes knowing it took about that for Draven to come get me. Slowly I made my way down the hall through the front doors out to the parking lot. Draven's truck sat in its usual spot. I released a breath the minute I saw it knowing I was safe.

"Daniel!"

I turned in time to see Gray coming toward me his face intense as he noted the fear in my eyes. I had started backing away nervously.

"Hey, you ok, you missed chemistry?"

Draven hopped out of his truck sensing my fear.

"Hey Daniel," he said as he walked up to us.

Then he locked eyes on Gray, his nose flaring a bit. Changing his stance to a protective one he stepped between me and Gray, with a low growl.

"Is this guy bothering you Daniel?" They continued to stare at one another not making a move but obviously itching to.

"N-no." My voice was squeaky and fearful. "H-he's not."

Draven released a sigh as he turned to look at me. "Hey big brother, it's ok. I've got your back."

"P-please don't fight," I whispered.

His shoulders dropped in frustration. It was nice to know that he would do that for me, but I hoped he wouldn't ever have to.

"We're not going to fight, are we?" My brother turned toward my long time crush with a raised eyebrow.

"No we're not. I'm Gray Bishop by the way." Gray stuck out his hand still frowning. My brother shook it even as he turned his gaze back to me in question.

"So you're the quarterback, Danny's talked about."

He shrugged, "I guess. And you're the little brother," he said in mild confusion knowing I didn't have a drop of wolf in me and the guy claiming to be my brother obviously did.

"I am his brother," Draven's voice was deep and deadly serious when he answered.

"I see."

"Danny, why don't you go keep Dillon company I need to talk to Gray for a minute."

Biting my lip nervously I head for the truck.

What happened," Draven growled clearly irritated?

"Look man, Daniel took off while we were talking during lunch, and he skipped a class. That's it."

Draven closed his eyes. "That's it, you're sure?"

Gray gave him a look, "What? Yeah of course."

"Alright then. Don't worry about Daniel, he'll be fine."

My brother walked away leaving Gray standing there looking lost.

He was my crush, my ideal, but I had run away from him acting like big baby. I managed to keep my tears at bay until I got home.

Curled up in my bed I sobbed quietly, but in a house full of wolves with exceptional hearing, quiet is never quiet enough.

Draven shifted letting his wolf curl up by my side while I absently petted him, pressing my face against his soft coat.

Uncle Gage got the edited version of the day's events and came up stairs to talk to me. Taking a seat on the edge of the bed he ran his hand through my hair. "So what's this I hear about you skipping class?"

Rubbing red eyes I sniff pathetically. "I-I got scared, and then I just couldn't go to class."

"Did this boy, what was his name 'Gray' scare you?"

"Not intentionally. I thought he was going to hurt me and panicked."

Gage looked confused. "This kid, is he normally a good kid as far as you know?"

"Y-yeah," I sniff. "I've never heard anyone say anything bad about him, I mean unless its football related and they're on the opposing team."

With a grin Uncle Gage muttered, "That's understandable. So up until today you thought he was a good guy right?"

"Mmhmm."

"So then what scared you?"

With a confused crinkle of my brow I stared at my uncle, "H-he's a wolf."

Uncle Gage's eye brows shot up in surprise. "Really? How do you know that?"

"H-his eyes changed like Draven's I-I saw his wolf peeking out. It s-s-scared me."

Uncle Gage frowned, but ruffled my hair affectionately, "Why?"

Glancing down with a blush I shrugged, "I didn't know if he would hurt me or not."

Draven's wolf licked my hand in an attempt to comfort me.

"I see," Gage sighed. "Daniel, you're going to meet a lot of people in this world and you won't always know if they're a threat. Not all humans are bad and not all shifters are either.

My eyes welled with tears, "B-but they m-murdered my mother and h-hurt me."

"Oh, my sweet boy." Uncle Gage pulled me into his arms holding me tight. "What happened to you, it was awful, and I know it's made it hard to trust, but son I need you to know that me, your father, Dillon and Draven, we're your family and we will keep you safe, no one's going to hurt you ever again."

"I just don't understand why they did those things to me."

My uncle continued to hold me rubbing my back in a gentle circular motion. "Evil exists as surely as good does. Some people feed off of it; you and your brother were unfortunate enough to have to come face to face with it."

Draven whimpered a bit, causing me to extend my arm and pull him closer so that I could hug them both.

"But you're both here safe in my arms. I try not to dwell on what happened because if I did I would never let you leave the house. That's no way to live Daniel."

Taking my shoulders in his hands he pulled back to look me in the face. "Be cautious, follow your gut instincts. If you still feel you can't trust this boy, then don't. But please don't judge him based on his being a wolf."

Biting my lip I nodded. "I'm sorry Uncle please don't be mad at me."

1...34567...9