Reconnection

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
GatorRick
GatorRick
771 Followers

"No way he could have slipped as he claimed. But he had a witness who swore that it did."

"Do you remember this witness's name?" I asked.

"Not off the top of my head," Tom replied. "I may still have a copy of the accident report back in the office, though. It should be in that"

"Do you mind checking for me?"

Returning to the office, Tom opened the bottom drawer of an old beat up filing cabinet. Rummaging through the contents, he withdrew a file folder.

"This looks like it." He said, handing it to me.

When I read the file the name Barbara Montgomery was listed as the witness. That's interesting I thought to myself.

Thanking Mr. Matthews for his help and, before leaving, I asked one more question. "What do you think about this whole thing?"

Without a moments hesitation he replied. "It was a scam. Pure and simple. Nothing more than a scam to rip off the insurance company."

Just as soon as I left Jack's Market I drove to the county courthouse and went to the Records Division. I asked the clerk to see the record of marriages for the past five years. After spending forty-five minutes I found the marriage license for Brent Toney and his wife Barbara.

Just as I suspected she was the former Barbara Montgomery. Now it could have been a coincidence that they actually did meet that day in Jack's Market, but I kinda doubted it.

Next on my agenda was to interview Dr. John Reynolds, the OB/GYN sued by Brent and Barbara Toney. Given the HIPPA regulations governing patient privacy I didn't have much hope in garnering any useful information. I would give it a shot anyway. You never know what might turn up.

So late the next afternoon I went to Dr. Reynolds's Office. The waiting room was empty so I hoped he had finished with the last of his patients for the day.

Showing my credentials to an older woman sitting behind the reception desk, I asked if I might have a few minutes of the doctor's time regarding a malpractice suit of three years ago.

Picking up the phone she called back into his office with my request. A few moments later a distinguished older man appeared. I showed him my credentials and repeated the reason for coming to see him.

"I'm not sure I'll be able to help you." He said, escorting me to his office. "You are aware HIPPA Regulations prevent me from disclosing any information about a patient without their consent. All I can tell you is it was a very strange claim given the circumstances."

"OB/GYN's are probably the most sued people working in the medical field," he told me. "I let my insurance company handle all the particulars of the case."

"When the insurance company found out how little money they were asking they were quick to settle. There was no investigation into the validity of the claim. It was cheaper for them to settle it quickly."

"That's all I am able to tell you regarding this matter." Standing up, he escorted me to his office door.

I thanked him for his time and made my way back to the reception area. As I did a female voice from another office called to me asking if I needed help.

Stepping inside I said. "Maybe, I certainly hope so."

The woman introduced herself as Alice Brown, Dr. Reynolds's administrative assistant. "Sally, at the front desk, told me why you're here. May I see your credentials?"

I handed the leather case with my credentials. She flipped it open and studied them for a minute. I'm afraid I cannot add anything more than what Dr. Reynolds has already told you."

Taking a post-it note from her desk she inserted it into my closed credential case and handing it back to me, she said. "I'm truly sorry we couldn't be more helpful."

Getting back into my car I retrieved the note and read it. All that was written on it was a phone number and a cryptic note to call after six that evening.

Since it was just after five I drove the short distance back to my apartment, showered and changed into more casual clothes. At six-fifteen I dialed the number on the note. The phone rang three times before being answered.

After I identified myself she said. "Mr. Douglas. I have something I need to tell you. Can we meet somewhere around seven this evening?"

"Sure." I replied. "How about Larry's pub. We can get a booth in the back and have some privacy."

She told me that would be fine and would see me then. Larry's was only a few short blocks from my apartment so I elected to walk.

I loved Larry's Pub. A long bar ran down the center of the room with more than fifty different beer taps. The hard stuff was kept under the bar. Booths ran along the walls on either side. Almost every inch of the walls were covered with photos or deep sea fishing memorabilia. They served the very best hamburgers in town and the fish and chips were great as well.

Arriving ten minutes before seven I secured a booth in the very back of the pub which afforded maximum privacy and waited.

Promptly at seven she walked in and saw me as I stood by the booth. Walking over to me she took a seat with her back to the door.

She started by saying she could get into a heap of trouble if anyone found out what she had to tell me.

After I assured her that anything she told me would be held in the strictest confidence she continued.

"It was the strangest examination I've ever been a part of in ten years as Dr. Reynolds's assistant. Mrs. Toney came in complaining of vaginal pain. She was placed in an examination room and Dr. Reynolds call me in to observe, like he aways does, when examining a patient. She told him all she wanted was a pelvic exam. Dr. Reynolds told her that blood work would have to be done to arrive at an accurate diagnosis."

"She was told the blood could be drawn and examined right here in our office. Mrs. Toney said no. She preferred to go to her own lab to have the work done."

"Dr. Reynolds agreed but warned her that by doing that it would delay his diagnosis and proscribed treatment. She replied to him that she understood, but still wanted to go to her own lab for the work."

"Dr. Reynolds complete her pelvic exam and told her that he could see no reason for her pain. However, he would not make any judgement until he saw the results of her blood test."

"Three days later we received notification from Mrs. Toney's lab stating that all test results fell within the normal parameters."

"Dr. Reynolds had me phone Mrs. Toney to make an appointment with him so that he could discuss the findings with her. She asked what her blood tests showed and I told her that everything appeared to be normal. Then she said that since she was feeling better she would make an appointment for later in the week. Two days later she called, after hours, and left a message with our service canceling her appointment. That's the last we heard from her until Dr. Reynolds was notified of a lawsuit filed by Mr. and Mrs. Toney against him."

Alice concluded saying. "When Dr. Reynolds's insurance company saw how small the claim was for they decided to settle as quickly as possible. It would avoid a lengthy and expensive court battle that could have potentially cost them much, much more."

"One other thing, as I was filing her records in our archive of patients we no longer see I noticed on her lab report she was listed as having a blood type of AB. All of her other records show her as having an O+ blood type."

As I sat there digesting what Alice Brown had told me, I thought to ask one more question of her.

"What is your opinion of this whole matter? I asked.

She replied almost immediately. "I don't think she actually had anything wrong to begin with. In my opinion, I think it was an elaborate scam to rip off the insurance company."

When we were finished talking I offered to buy her dinner. She politely declined saying she needed to get home to her children. I went home to try to make some sense out of what I had learned from Bob Matthews and Alice Brown. In my mind it began to look like insurance fraud was being perpetrated by Brent and Barbara Toney. Now I had put off the inevitable long enough it was time to see Charlie.

Chapter Four

First Steps Toward Reconnecting

When I reread the report filed by the police department that investigated the auto accident it raised a couple of 'red flags'. The investigating officer's report stated that Brent claimed a truck veered into his lane and, when he swerved to avoid him, he lost control and ended up rolling his car over in the ditch along side the road.

After examining the roadway the accident investigator wrote he could find no evidence of skid marks other than those made by Toney's car. There were no witnesses other than a passenger, Charlene Thomas, who was severely injured and transported from the scene. When interviewed the next day she couldn't remember any details of the accident. The investigator did note that she was reluctant to talk about what had occurred. The report was marked as closed with no fault assigned.

I would have to interview Charlie to get her side of the accident. It was something I was not looking forward to doing.

The next morning I noticed that all the kids that lived in my apartment complex were just hanging out. I asked one of them why he wasn't in school and he told me they had the day off. Assuming it was some sort of holiday I drove over to Charlie's house to interview her.

Mrs. Thomas answered the door when I rang the bell. She just stood there for a moment, without speaking, with a surprised look on her face. Finally, regaining her composure, she invited me to come inside.

"Oh, Evan," she said. "How are you? You look wonderful. I heard that you were back home but I didn't think I would get to see you."

We exchanged pleasantries for a few minutes and then I asked her if I could speak with Charlie?

"She's not here, Evan. It's a teacher's workday and she's at school. She will be home around 4pm. Can you come back then? I know she would love to see you."

"It's not really a social call, Mrs. Thomas. I need some information about the accident she was in six years ago. Perhaps, I can catch her at school."

Driving over to the school, I parked and went inside. Everything was as I remembered it from so many years ago. I asked the secretary behind the counter if I might speak with the principal. She picked up the phone and spoke a few words. A few moments later a woman appeared from her office. It was Miss Brown, not Ms or Mrs, but Miss Brown. The same woman who was the principal when I attended there fifteen years ago. She was just as I remembered her, small, thin, with gray hair and a big smile on her face. It didn't look as if she had aged a day.

"Evan, Evan Douglas," greeting me, as she grabbed my outstretched hand with both of hers. "My, my you certainly have grown. How may I help you?"

I told her why I was there and asked if it would be possible to speak with Charlene Thomas.

"I don't see why not." She replied. Without letting go of my hand she turned and said, "Edith, call down to Charlene's classroom and tell her someone is here to speak with her."

Returning to look at me she whispered. "Be gentle with her Evan."

For a moment I was puzzled by what she said but quickly remembered that Miss Brown was a close friend with my mom as well as with Charlene's mother. Most likely she knew the whole story.

"She is in room 112 just down the hall to the right," she told me, releasing my hands.

"Thank you, Miss Brown. I know that room well. Charlene and I had Mrs. Allen for the fourth grade in that room."

Walking down the corridor was like walking back through time. So many happy memories came flooding back.

Stopping just out side the open door I saw Charlie pinning student art work up on the bulletin board. I knocked on the door frame, and without turning around, she said to come in.

Putting the last picture up she turned and with a startled look saw me. For a moment I thought she might faint but she steadied herself against her desk.

"Evan . . ." Was all she managed to get out before she began to cry.

After a few moments she composed herself and asked why I had come to see her. I told her I needed to ask some questions about the automobile accident she was involved in six years ago.

"Why?" She asked. "I thought the insurance company settled that years ago."

"They did. However, I need some answers that weren't in the accident report." I replied.

"OK. I'll tell you everything. Just not here. This place has too many happy memories for me. I don't want them ruined by what I have to tell you. Can we meet someplace else after I'm finished here today?"

"All right, but it has to be someplace where we won't be interrupted. Any suggestions?"

She named a place and I agreed.

"What time would be best for you?" I asked her.

"How about 5 o'clock?"

"Good," I answered. "I'll call ahead and make the arrangements."

Charlie had suggest we meet at Saint John's Lutheran Church. It was the church our families attended for many years. I drove back to my apartment and called Pastor Paul Meyer. Everyone called him Pastor Paul at his insistence. I asked him if Charlie and I could use the sanctuary for a private meeting. He readily agreed, assuring me we would not be interrupted and could stay as long as we wanted.

I arrived at the church at twenty minutes before five and went in the church office to see Pastor Paul. With sad eyes he told me he had been praying all afternoon asking God that we could find it in our hearts to forgive one another.

Thanking him for his prayers, I told him that they had already been answered. I sat and prayed with him for a few minutes before Charlie arrived.

When Charlie arrived a few minutes later Pastor Paul walked us to the sanctuary and, after unlocking the doors, he said we could stay as long as we needed. Looking at the two of us, he smiled sadly, and walked back to his office.

We sat together in a pew near the altar and Charlie turned to me and said. "Before you start asking me any questions about the accident I need to tell you some things first. Please let me get it all out before you say anything."

"All right. I promise not to interrupt you."

Chapter Five

Charlie apologizes and tells her story

"Evan, I'm so sorry for the pain I caused you. I have laid awake every night for the past six years asking myself . . . why? I have no explanation for my behavior toward you. It was cruel, thoughtless and I caused you an immense amount of emotional pain."

"Brent Toney had been hitting on me for weeks and weeks. He kept flattering me with all kinds of compliments. I know you warned me about him but he became irresistible. When he asked me to go to the Senior Prom with him, I never gave a thought to the promise we made to go together."

"Just as soon as I told you to ask Mary Beth Simmons I realized how big of a mistake I had made. If it is any comfort to you my date with Brent was a Prom Date from Hell. He arrived an hour late to pick me up, didn't get out of his car; just blew the horn for me announcing his arrival. He didn't even get out to open the door of his car for me. I expected a corsage but there wasn't one."

"Arriving at the Prom he refused to use the hotel's free valet parking so he parked two blocks away and we walked back. Once inside we found our table and he left me to go and find something to drink. I sat there by myself for a long time before he returned with two cups of punch. When the band began playing, he just sat there until I asked him if he would dance with me. After one dance he brought me back to our table and left me there again."

"After about an hour he came back and wanted to leave to take me to a party at a friend's house. I told him I wanted to stay until after the King and Queen were announced. He wasn't too happy with that idea, but we stayed. Finally, Josh Harrison, the Class President, went to the microphone to make the presentation of the Prom Crowns to the King and Queen. Evan, you remember that the class voted on the nominations the week before."

"I won the crown for Queen. While I was going to the front of the dance floor to be crowned. Josh said. 'Well, this is awkward. Evan Douglas, who was to be the King, is not here tonight.' I wanted to crawl into a hole when he said that. I removed the crown from my head and ran back to the table, gathered my purse and told Brent we needed to leave."

"Walking back to where he had parked his car I told him I wanted to go home. We got in and he told me we were going to the party first. He drove us outside of town to his friend's house. When we arrived there were a ton of cars parked all over the lawn. The music was so loud you could hear it blocks away."

"Once inside he grabbed a beer from an ice chest and poured me a glass of white wine. We walked around and he introduced me to his friends. I didn't know any of them. The music was so loud it was giving me a headache and I asked him again to take me home. He told me he would after one more drink and he went off to get them, leaving me standing alone."

"When he returned he gave me another glass of wine and I drank it. A few minutes later I began feeling dizzy and disoriented. I told him I felt sick and he replied that I would feel better if I laid down for a while. Then he took me to a back bedroom, closed the door and pushed me onto a bed."

"The next thing I knew he had pulled my dress up, pushed my panties aside and shoved his penis inside me. God! He hurt me as he pumped away. I tried to stop him but I didn't have the strength. Thankfully, it was over in less than a minute. He rolled off and told me I was great. Then he got up and left."

"I don't remember how long I laid there before I got up and went to find him. I saw him kissing another girl, grabbed him and screamed for him to take me home. He did. When we got to my house he told me to get out and drove away."

"Mom must have waited up and saw me stumbling up the front steps. She took one look at me and put me to bed. I couldn't sleep. All I could think about was how badly I needed to see you and apologize."

"Later in the morning I saw my mother coming in the front door as I went out the back to go over to your house. I rang the bell and your mother answered. I asked to see you and she told me you weren't home. Before I could turn to leave she hugged me before I left."

"Sitting by the window in my room, I watched to see when you returned. When you didn't I fell asleep thinking I would see you in church the next day. I went to both services and you weren't there."

"On Monday I went to school for the yearbook signing party and graduation rehearsal I looked all over for you. Nobody I asked had seen you. When I got home that afternoon I went back to your house and found out from your mother that you were gone and wouldn't be coming back."

"I asked her if you were coming to graduation and she said 'no' before closing the door. I heard her crying behind the closed door as I left. When I got back to my house I found my mother and told her everything that had happened. She held me as I sat and cried for hours."

"At the graduation ceremony I was hoping against hope you would be there. You weren't and neither were your parents. What should have been one of the happiest times of our lives turned out to be one of the saddest."

"I don't remember anything about that summer except sitting in my room and crying all the time. Finally mom told me to snap out of it. What was done was done and I needed to move on with my life. I enrolled in the local college with the idea of becoming an elementary school teacher."

"After missing my second period I realized something was wrong, went to my doctor and found out I was pregnant. I found Brent and told him. He denied being the father. Called me a slut and tried to walk away. Grabbing his arm I yelled at him that when the baby was born, I would come after him for child support. That stopped him in his tracks and then he told me we should get together and discuss a reasonable solution."

GatorRick
GatorRick
771 Followers