Reconnection

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
GatorRick
GatorRick
771 Followers

"The following day Brent met me outside of my last class of the day. He said he wanted to take me to meet his parents so we could all discuss a solution to my pregnancy. We left campus in his car headed toward his parent's home. All of a sudden he turned off onto a backroad and began speeding up. Then he reached over and tried to unfasten my seat belt. As I struggled to make him stop he lost control and we went into the ditch alongside the road."

"The last thing I remembered was the airbag crashing into my chest and abdomen. When I woke up I was in the hospital and mom and dad were in my room. A doctor was with them when they told me I had lost my baby."

"The next day a police officer came to my hospital room asking me if I remembered anything about the accident. I was still foggy from all the medications and pain killers I had been given and I told him I didn't remember anything."

As I told Evan all of this I watched his face and saw the anger in his eyes. As we stood I thanked him for allowing me to get all this out without interruption.

"Do you have any questions for me?" I asked him, with tears streaming down my face.

"No. Not right now." He replied, holding my hand and pulling me close for a hug. "Maybe later."

Chapter Six

Questions and Answers

As we walked out of the sanctuary I asked Charlie if she felt well enough to drive herself home? She told me that her mom had driven her over and she would call her to pick her back up.

"No." I said. "I'll drive you home."

After telling Pastor Paul we had finished our talk, we walked to my car. I opened her door so she could get in before walking around to my side of the car.

As we started toward her house I said that I did have another question.

"Charlie did you receive any money from Brent from his insurance settlement for your medical bills?"

"Evan, I never saw a single dollar from him. He didn't even come by to see me after the accident." She answered.

Then I told her I needed to stop by my apartment for a minute to pick up my briefcase. When I asked if she wanted to come in for a moment she said she would rather wait in the car. I went in, retrieved my briefcase and we resumed the trip back to her house.

Parking in front of her parent's house I grabbed my briefcase, got out and went around to help Charlie out of the car. I walked her to the front door and she asked if I would like to come in for a moment.

I think she was real surprised when I said. "Yes, I would very much like to say hello to your mom and dad."

Entering the front door Charlie called out. "Mom, Dad I'm home and I brought someone with me."

Mrs. Thomas emerged from the kitchen with Mr. Thomas right behind her. The look on their faces was one of relief and hope.

"Evan, its really good to see you." Mr. Thomas said. "Come in, sit down and tell us what has been going on in your life."

After a brief synopsis of the past few years, I said to them. "Charlie tells me that you were never reimbursed for her medical expenses from the accident."

"What about this check?" I asked opening my brief case and withdrawing the 'Tri-State' file. I handed him a photo copy of a cancelled check with his endorsement on it.

"I have never seen this before and this is not my signature. I sign all legal and financial documents with my legal name which is Robert. Bob is just a nickname my parents called me when I was little and it stuck over the years." He stated.

"This check is for $10,950. That wouldn't even have covered the cost of the emergency room treatment let alone the surgery and extended hospital stay."

"Do you recognize this document?" I asked, handing him a form requesting additional medical reimbursement in the amount of $35,455 with his signature affixed to it.

"No! Again, this is NOT my signature and it is signed Bob Thomas not Robert Thomas." He emphatically replied.

I answered him by handing him a third photocopy of a cancelled check, with his signature, for the amount of $35,455.

"What the Hell is going on here, Evan? I have never seen or, let alone, signed any of this." He said angrily. "Are you accusing me of something?"

"No, sir." I replied to him. "According to 'Tri-State' records the checks were sent to this address, a house located by the college campus."

I handed him a copy of this record. He looked at it and told me.

"This is the address of a rental property I own. I rent it to college students while they attend the university."

"On the dates of these checks do you recall who was renting your property?" Was my next question.

"That was six years ago, Evan. I would have to check my lease records to be able to answer that for you." He answered. "Excuse me for a moment. I'll go and see if I can find the leases in my files."

For five very long minutes the three of us sat there, not saying a word, until he returned.

Handing me a folder of old leases, he said. "I keep these for tax purposes in case of an IRS audit. Look through them and see if you can find what you're looking for."

Thumbing through the leases I quickly found what I wanted.

"Perfect, just perfect." I said to him, handing him back the lease I found.

"It's signed by a Barbara Montgomery. You'll never guess who she is now?"

Answering my own question I told them. "She's Brent Toney's wife."

"Mr. Thomas, I am sorry to have had to put you through this grilling. I've known you too long to believe that you were capable of anything of this nature. Please except my heartfelt apology."

"What you have provided me is just more evidence of insurance fraud perpetrated by Brent Toney and his wife."

"That Son-of-a . . ." He started to say. "Wait until get my hands on him."

"Please don't, sir." I requested. "I have a few more things to tie up with him before going to the police."

"OK, Evan. I trust you." He said, the anger ebbing from his voice.

With that the tension in the room melted away. Charlie and her mother were both visibly relieved. Frankly, so was I.

Rising to my feet, I said. "Well, I'll be going now. Again, I am truly sorry to have put all of you through this unpleasantness."

Chapter Seven

Beginning to Reconnect

As I made my way to the front door, Mr. Thomas stopped me by saying. "Evan, please stay and have supper with us. The three of us would really like for you to stay, especially Charlie."

"If it's not too much trouble . ." Before I could finish Charlie grabbed my hand and led me into the dining room.

"Here. You sit here next to me." She ordered.

After setting an extra place for me, she went to help her mom in the kitchen. Mr. Thomas took a seat across from me and leaned across the table and, in a low voice, he asked.

"What about you and Charlie? Is there any hope you two can get back together?"

I smiled at him but before I could answer Charlie and her mother reappeared with supper. After we ate Mr. Thomas invited me to sit with him on his backyard deck. He picked up a bottle of brandy and a couple of glasses as we made our way outside.

"We've got a few minutes while the girls finish cleaning up in kitchen." He said. "Evan, I've not seen Charlie as happy and animated as she was at supper tonight for a long time. Have you thought about what I asked you earlier? Is there any hope you two can get back together?"

Taking a sip of brandy, I answered him. "Yeah there might be, over the past few years I've come to the realization that I have missed having her in my life tremendously. Right now I'm still confused and a little conflicted. We are talking with each now and that's a start."

Just the then the girls joined us and we spent the next hour enjoying the evening in pleasant conversation. When I was leaving, Charlie walked me out to my car. She told me she was glad I was home; that she worried about me from everything my mom and dad had told her.

"Evan," she said. "Your mother told me about the promise she made not to talk about me to you. But, she didn't promise not to talk about you to me. I almost died from worry when I learned that you had been wounded. When she told me that you recovered I was overjoyed."

"I know that we may never recapture what we once had, something I threw away. Can we, at least, try to become friends again?" She pleaded.

"Charlie, I never stopped thinking of you as my friend." I told her as I got into my car to drive back to my apartment.

The next morning I woke up just before six, went for a short three mile run and spent twenty minutes in the apartment complex pool to cool down. When I returned I showered, shaved and dressed for the day. As I was making a pot of coffee the door bell rang. Looking at my watch I wondered who could be there a few minutes before eight.

Opening the door there stood Charlie holding up my briefcase. "You left this last night. I thought you might need it today."

"Gosh. I completely forgot all about it. Thank you for bringing it by. I was just making coffee. Would you like to come in and have a cup?" I managed to get out all in one breath.

I'd like that." She answered.

Leading her into the living room, I told her to give me a minute and I would bring it right out.

"Cream and two sugars, right?" I called while pouring the coffee.

"Yes, you remember after all these years?" She said following me into the kitchen.

"Yep. Some things are hard to forget." I replied, handing her a cup. "What gets you up so early on a Saturday morning?"

"I didn't sleep too well last night thinking about what you said as you were leaving." She responded.

"I meant that Charlie. Even though I was really mad and hurt by what happened I never stopped thinking of you as my friend. I thought I had been replaced in your heart and that's why I took off like I did. It was the immature reaction of an eighteen year old kid. When I learned that you were pregnant, I couldn't bear the thought of hearing anything more about you. That's when I made Mom promise not to speak about you to me."

We sat there without saying anything to each other for several moments. I could see tears beginning to start in her eyes. Then she took a deep breath and composed herself.

"So what are your plans for the rest of the day." I asked her as she sipped her coffee.

"Mom wants me to go shopping with her this morning and then I'll probably work on my lesson plans for the rest of the afternoon." She answered. "What about you?"

"I'm going over to see Brent and Barbara Toney later this morning. I need more information from him about his claim."

"Well, I need to be going. Mom wanted an early start at the mall." She said, finishing her coffee.

As soon as she left I took the Toney file from my brief case. Retrieving the photocopy of the police report of the break-in and theft I went and booted up my computer. Typing in a description of the stolen items I did a search for the sculptures that matched his.

Don't you just love the web? I found one of the sculptures that Toney reported as being stolen in less than twenty minutes. It was a bronze by Frederic Remington entitled 'Coming Through the Rye'. Toney claimed it was an original with a value of over eighty-thousand dollars. Only one problem with that. The original is located in the Frederic Remington Art Museum in Ogdensburg, New York. Reproductions can be purchased on-line for less than three grand.

Some of the descriptions of the stolen jewelry and their value also seemed out of line. I would be asking him for certified copies of the appraisals he had to have before he was able to add the art and jewelry as a rider to his homeowner's policy.

Leaving my place just about ten-thirty I arrived at his home fifteen minutes later. Ringing the door bell, I stood and waited a few moments when an attractive blond answered. After introducing myself and showing my credentials she welcomed me into her home.

When I asked to speak with Mr. Toney she told me he was called away on business the day before and would be returning on Monday.

She asked me. "Is this about the claim with the homeowner's policy for the loss of our art and jewelry?" It seems like we've been waiting forever for our money."

"Yes, it is, Mrs. Toney and I apologize for the delay. The adjustor originally assigned to this claim suffered a heart attack shortly after your husband submitted the claim. I was assigned the claim and it has taken me a while to get up to speed. I assure you that it will be processed as soon as I receive a few documents from your husband."

"What documents do you need?" She asked, with a worried look.

I explained that the insurance company required certified copies of the appraisals establishing the value of each item and proof of ownership of those items cited in the claim before any payout could be made. Once we had those documents everything should then proceed quickly.

"My husband keeps all of those kinds of papers in his wall safe. I'm afraid I don't have the combination or I would give them to you today. Can you come back Monday afternoon?" She asked.

"Certainly," I replied. "I can come back, say, around 1pm Monday afternoon."

"Yes, that would be fine he should be home by then."

Just as I was getting up to leave she said. "Oh. I just remembered seeing the business card of the individual who provided us with the appraisals on Brent's desk this morning. Would that help speeding things along?"

I nodded my head and she went to find the card. Returning, she handed it to me and I copied the information from it in my note pad. Thanking her, I left. Before going out the door I thought to ask one more question.

"Mrs. Toney. Do you and your husband have life insurance policies? Our agency represents several excellent companies. I could have one of our agents stop by with information about the policies we offer."

With a smile she proudly replied. "Thank you but that won't be necessary. Brent arranged for policies on both me and himself. Three million dollar double indemnity polices. You know, pays twice the face value if either of us dies from anything but natural causes."

"That was very wise of him." I said as I left.

Getting into my car I saw that it was a little after noon. Plenty of time to drive over and check out this appraiser.

Looking at my note pad I read. 'A. Adams Antiques and More - Expert Appraisals and Insurance Valuations'. The address indicated a location about twenty-five miles away.

Driving over I remembered what my dad had once told me. Always be suspicious of someone who represents himself as an expert. So I decided to test out my dad's suspicion. I stopped at a second hand thrift store and went in to look for something. I asked the clerk if they had any inexpensive pieces of jewelry.

He looked at me and said. "How cheap?"

"Anything under fifty?" Was my answer.

"Yeah. I think I might have something. Come on over here." He said leading the way.

I found a necklace for ten bucks and told him I'd take it.

"If you are trying to impress some broad, I have a fake Tiffany case I'll let you have for another five."

"Hey. Why not?" I said handing him a twenty.

I got a receipt and fifteen minutes later I was back on the road. It didn't take too much longer before I was parking just down the street from the address I had written down. Leaving my mirrored sun glasses on and putting a ball cap on my head I walked to the antique shop.

A sign in the window of the door announced they were open and to ring the bell for admittance. I rang and a really cute women with red hair buzzed me inside.

"How may I help you?" She asked.

"I'm looking for something that might complement a necklace that was left to me by my grandmother." I lied.

"May I see it? Perhaps, I have something in one of the display cases over here."

"Sure." I replied, handing her the fake case.

"Oh my. This is exquisite. Just absolutely beautiful. You don't see anything as fine as this these days."

"Really!" I exclaimed. "I thought it was just some inexpensive costume jewelry."

"Oh, no. It's worth a lot of money," was her response.

"Wow! How much do you think it is worth?"

"I could do an appraisal for you?" She offered.

Taking the case, with the necklace in it, over to the counter she picked up a jeweler's loop and examined it.

"I would value this as between eight to ten thousand dollars." She told me. "If you like I could write it up so you will have an official valuation. You'll need that if you are planning to insure it."

"How much would that cost?" I asked.

"I can do it right now for one hundred dollars." She replied.

"That would be great. I don't have my checkbook with me. Would cash be acceptable?"

"Cash is always acceptable," she giggled.

It didn't take but a few minutes when she returned from her little office with the appraisal on the letterhead of her business. It was signed 'A. Adams'.

"Who is A. Adams?" I asked with a puzzled look.

"That's me. My name is Abigail Adams and, no, I'm not related to the second President of the United States"

Taking the appraisal letter and a receipt for my one hundred dollar payment I left the store. (Receipt??? You didn't think I was going to shell out a C-note for a phony appraisal out of my own pocket, did you? It was going on my expense report with the one for the necklace.)

Walking back to my car I had a feeling that Ms. Adams wasn't alone in her office while she was printing my appraisal. I decided to sit and wait for a while. Sure enough ten minutes later she and a man emerged from the shop.

Damm. I recognized him. It was Brent Toney. They walked down the street away from where I was parked. I grabbed my digital camera and followed them from the opposite side of the street.

I got some really good pictures. One, in particular, I'm most proud of was the one of him holding her butt. Two blocks down they went into the parking lot of a small motel.

Toney unlocked the door of a car and retrieved a small package. Re-locking the car they both went into room 118. I got another great photo of them in a full lip lock before the door closed.

This had been a very productive afternoon. Now it was time to see Dad and fill him in on what I had uncovered.

It was almost five when I pulled into the driveway of Mom and Dad's house. Getting out of the car I saw Dad, as well as Bob and Betty Thomas, sitting on the front porch. As I came up the walkway, Mom and Charlie stepped out from the house with a tray of glasses and a pitcher of ice tea along with some munchies. Carrot sticks, celery and other assorted vegetables. Dad just shrugged his shoulders and said something about eating healthy snacks.

I sat down in the porch glider and Charlie just snuggled right up next to me.

"Just working on becoming friends again." She told everybody.

It was close to six o'clock when Bob announced. "Well, Betty and I have tickets for the eight o'clock performance of that new show at the playhouse in Trenton. Then we'll be having a late supper. We better get going. It's an hour's drive from here. Charlie we'll be home late, so don't wait up."

As they rose to leave, Charlie got up saying. "Me too. I didn't finish my lesson plans for next week and I really need to get going as well."

"Evan, I'll be finished before nine. If you're not doing anything stop by for some cookies and milk." She said, brushing my cheek with a kiss.

"I'd like that. I'll see you then." I replied.

After Charlie and her parents had left, Dad and I discussed what I had learned from my interviews over the past three days as well as today's discoveries. Dad cautioned me not to try to use the phony appraisal as evidence against Toney's claim.

"If you do," he said. "She can say the necklace you had her appraise isn't the one she looked at. It will be a case of he said, she said."

GatorRick
GatorRick
771 Followers