Restored

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"What day is the party?"

"Her birthday is 29th September, but the party is 28th September."

Leaning over the counter, she took her diary, opening it to the calendar year. Running her finger till it was over September she released a sigh of relief. "Thank God." She said.

"What," I said all confused.

"The party is on Sunday if it were Friday or Saturday I wouldn't have been able to give you the day off. Can't have you partying on the busiest days of the week when I need you here."

We both started laughing.

Checking that everything was locked up, I gave Patsy another hug, thanking her for standing by me before I turned to go upstairs.

The following three days were very busy for me. Starting at 8 am until 3 pm I managed to get most of the work done on the Vantage. Friday and Saturday were extremely busy at the Inn. Patsy hired a young girl that week to help on the weekends. By the end of Saturday night, all three of us were totally shattered. Every night before I went to bed, I would send Lisa a message. Waking up in the morning, checking my mobile for a reply from her, Still no answer.

Sunday morning I was woken up by a loud knocking on the door. Looking out of the window, a man wearing a cap was walking back to a Hermes delivery van. Rushing downstairs only in my boxers, I opened the front door, shouting out. "Excuse me, sir." To my surprise when the driver turned around it was a lady. Feeling my face go red from embarrassment I Pointing a finger in the air, I said. "Could you give me a second." Making myself more presentable, I went back downstairs.

"Mr Steve Rhodes." The lady said while giggling.

"Yes."

"I have a package for you, can you sign here, please?" Handing me a mini touch screen tablet to sign on. Never could figure out these things, your signature never looks like it should on them. "Thank you very much, sir, have a nice day."

Carrying the box inside I put it down gently, I started opening it enthusiastically even though I knew what was inside. This engine part will increase the BHP and economy of the Aston Martin by five percent. It was an Isometric Exhaust Manifold specially designed for sports cars. The cost of this item came from my pocket, appreciation to Ryan for letting me work on the Vantage.

When I got to the garage, I started work on the car straight away, first installing the manifold which was the hardest part. It took me till lunchtime to get it in place. Having a quick lunch, I then started to check all the other components around the engine, putting back any plastics I had to remove. Spending another couple of hours inspecting the mechanical parts on the car. Bleeding the brakes, checking the suspension, finishing off in the engine bay, checking the tension of the belts.

The moment of truth had arrived, climbing into the driver's seat, I held the steering wheel with one hand and the other the key in the ignition, it was time to start her up. Turning the key halfway the dashboard came to life, half a dozen red lamps lit up while some of the gauges needles sprung up. Turning the key full the engine started to turn over, but not starting, I released it after some seconds. I tried again, pumping the accelerator a few times, being careful not to flood the engine, nothing, you could hear a pin drop from the silence. Leaning my head on the steering wheel, I tried again. "Come on baby talk to me!" I shouted, Vroom Vroom, my head popped up like a Jack in a box, I shouted. "Yes!" You could hear each piston work when it's idling went to normal. Climbing out of the car, I walked to the front, checking the engine for any water or oil leaks. Once the engine started to heat up to it's working temperature, there was a smell of burning. It was dust burning, It had gathered around the engine, while it was just sitting in the garage.

Letting the car idle for a half-hour, every few minutes checking for leaks or if the engine idle was rising or falling suddenly, not wanting to rev the motor before doing some other checks on it. When I was sure everything was ok, I turned the engine off. All you could hear now was the exhaust crackling from the heat, putting my head in the engine bay, I listened carefully for any hissing sounds from the radiator.

Everything was good, locking everything up I went home. Having a quick shower, I climbed into bed, checking my mobile, probably the one-hundredth time today. Still no message from Lisa. Putting the mobile on the side cabinet, I closed my eyes to get some sleep.

Chapter 8

It was Monday morning, Ryan should be back today, maybe he could shed some light why Lisa will not reply to my calls or messages. All the running around the last couple of months had started to show on me. I was exhausted physically and mentally.

It was the first morning I hadn't checked my mobile for any messages from Lisa. If she hadn't sent a message all week, I don't think she would send one know. Downstairs Patsy was showing the new girl the drinks behind the bar. That brought back memories when I first started working here.

"Hey, Patsy will you need me today? I wanted to have Ryan's car ready for its MOT by Wednesday."

"It's going to be a quiet week this week, take a few days off, I have Barbara with me this week, she can help me. But Friday and Saturday I will need you."

"Ok, Patsy." grabbing my backpack I headed out.

My plan for today was to give the car a compound, putting the buffering adaptor on the drill I started from the back working towards the front, using the finest compound. Just to remove a thin layer of the paint to give it that showroom look. It was 5 pm when I'd finished with the buffering. I made myself a sandwich then went back to polish the car.

I was shaking the bottle of polish to mix it up when Ryan pulled up. Getting out of the car, with his night bag in hand he started walking towards me. He said, "Hello Steve. Can you come into the house?"

I felt a knot in my stomach. I knew there was something wrong. I went straight to the coffee machine filling it up with water. Standing next to it, waiting for the coffee to brew not once looking at Ryan, scared of what he might say. When the coffee was ready, I poured us a cup each. Sitting there, neither of us saying anything, I could feel the beating of my heart. "How long are you going to keep me in suspense?" I asked while staring at him.

Looking straight ahead not turning to face me, that is when I knew what he had to say was not going to be good. "Steve, she won't be coming back, she will be starting work at her father's company on Monday."

Banging the mug on the table, a majority of coffee spilt over my hand, not moving a muscle when the hot liquid scorched my hand. "Lisa could have called me or at least sent a message to tell me!" I shouted.

Putting his hand on my shoulder, he said. "Son forget about her and move on with your life."

"Forget her and move on you say. Since that day of the accident, I have been trying to move on." Feeling a tear run down my cheek, I looked at Ryan and continued. Maybe your right I should move on, thank you for everything Ryan, you have been like a father to me." Walking out of the house while putting on my jacket, jumping on my bike, within minutes I was on the A1 heading north.

Feeling the wind on my face, as the Yamaha glided past the cars on the A1. On the road for almost an hour, I checked the next sign coming up. Peterborough 5 miles. The following service station I pulled up parking near the entrance of the fast food restaurants. Having a quick meal at the Burger King, I then went to the Holiday Inn to see if they had any rooms available. Booking a room on B/B for two nights. Paying in advance, I told the receptionist, I didn't want to be disturbed.

After having a shower, I climbed into bed. Lying there, flicking through the TV channels I came across one of my all time favourite movies. "Shane" I would watch it with my father and brother whenever it was on TV. Bringing back memories as I watched it, occasionally wiping the tears from my eyes. Near the end of the movie, I Watched Joey calling out to Shane to come back in the closing scene, while I drifted off to sleep.

"Go home Steve, Lisa is worried about you." My father said as he walked away.

"Come back dad, come back." He went further away as I called.

"Go home son!" He shouted from a distance.

Suddenly I woke up, looking around the room, it took me a few seconds to realise where I was. Looking at my watch it was 6 am. Quickly getting dressed, I made my way to the reception.

"Room 216 I would like to check-out, please."

Pressing some buttons on the keyboard, the young lady looked up at me and said. "Sir you are due to check-out tomorrow, there will not be any refund if you leave today." She said these words With a worried look on her face, waiting to see what my reaction would be.

Looking at her name tag, I said. "I tell you what Tina if you could get one of the waiters to bring me a Takeaway coffee, we are even?"

With a sigh of relief, she said. "Straight away Mr Rhodes."

The ride back to Lemsford seemed longer than I thought. Once I got to the Inn, I noticed Patsy hadn't opened yet. Running upstairs to my flat, I got ready, putting on my best clothes. Looking into the mirror my first impression was. "I need to get myself some new clothes."

Going down the stairs I could hear Patsy's voice, she was shouting at Billy again. "Get your ass down here!"

"What's he done now?" I said as I reached the bottom of the stairs, finding Patsy standing there with both her hands holding her hips. When I was near enough to reach me, she swung her right hand, smacking me on the cheek, rattling my teeth to the core.

"What the hell was that for?"

Grabbing me in a tight embrace, she screamed in my ear. "Don't you ever leave like that again, we were worried sick!"

"I was upset. I needed to clear my mind."

"Ryan told me what happened. Next time you have a problem, come and talk to me before running off like that."

"I am sorry Patsy. If she doesn't come to Lemsford, I have to go to her. I need to see Ryan if we go together, she'll talk to me."

Lifting her hand to my face, with her palm she stroked my cheek while she smiled at me. "I see it in your eye's. You love her."

When I got to Ryans house, I went straight to the garage banging on the door. On opening it, Ryan stood there staring at me.

"That was immature, the way you acted yesterday Steve. We were worried, something happened to you."

"I know, and I am sorry."

"Come in we need to talk."

My adrenaline was too high. I couldn't sit down. I was pacing up and down in the kitchen. "I have to talk to Lisa Ryan. I have to tell her. If she doesn't answer my calls or texts, I have to go and find her to explain to her. She has to know everything, what I did, the time I spent in prison. I can't lose her Ryan. I love her." Standing there looking out of the window holding the kitchen counter tight while those last words replayed in my mind. "I love her."

"If she doesn't accept you?"

It was her voice. I didn't believe what I heard for a moment. Quickly turning around, there she was standing next to Ryan. Looking at me with an expression made of stone.

"Why didn't you tell me? I had to find out from my father. I sent my mother a picture of us taken while standing next to your bike. My dad has friends in the police, so it didn't take him long to do a check on the number plate on your bike. I go home to tell everyone about you, what a wonderful person you are. The only problem my father beat me to it, telling me for the summer I've been running around Hertfordshire with a criminal!"

"That's enough Lisa. I think we know how my brother can exaggerate sometimes," Ryan said.

Lowering my head with my shoulders sagged, I said. "I'm not a criminal, what happened was an accident, but people will see me as a criminal for the rest of my life. Your father is right. You don't need someone like me in your life." Not been able to look at either of them, I started to walk away.

"Don't you walk away from me Steve Rhodes!" she shouted as she rushed towards me grabbing my arm, turning me towards her. With her face inches away from mine, she continued. "I don't think you're a criminal. It was all a shock to me. If I knew, I could have defended you when my father said all those things about you." As she drew nearer; our lips joined as we kissed, embracing each other.

"cough, cough." Ryan interrupted.

Releasing each other, we looked at Ryan, while Lisa spoke. "Hey, uncle how about I prepare some Breakfast for us." Together we made breakfast. Ryan wanted to help us with it, but Lisa wouldn't let him. Finishing our meal, we sat there enjoying our coffee, with my hand under the table holding Lisa's hand.

Ryan, interrupting us by coughing again, he said. "If you two lovebirds have finished, maybe you can update me on the car, Steve."

Releasing each other's hand, I got up gesturing Lisa to follow me. "Let's have a look. I said.

All three of us walked into the garage, Lisa and Ryan stood in front of the car, I walked towards it. "As you can see, I gave the paintwork a compound to give it that showroom look. It still needs a polish, to protect the paint."

"We can see the shine on the paintwork, what about the engine, how are you doing in getting it to start?"

That question didn't need answering, leaning inside the car I turned the key, the car briefly chortled, then began to purr. They both stood there staring. Letting it run for a minute for the engine to warm up, I then took the driver's seat, Lisa walked over standing next to me. Ryan still standing there frozen. Lightly stepping on the accelerator, the engine roared, making the front of the car slightly twist from left to right from the torque, at the same time bringing Ryan back to earth from his daze.

With a smile on his face, he said. "That is a sound I have not heard for years."

Killing the engine by switching the ignition off, I saw the disappointment on his face. I still have some finishing touches to do. But so far what do you think?" I said waiting in anticipation for his answer.

"I am a speechless son." As he walked up to the car, I climbed out of the seat for him to sit in the car. Reaching to turn the key, the first thing he did was turn it half way, once the lights lit up in front of him, he took a deep breath. "Memories I remember these lights like it was yesterday." Turning the key all the way the engine came to life once again. Revving the engine a couple of times he said. "Are we going to go for a drive or what?"

Chapter 9

In the morning, I was going to take the vantage for it's MOT. The evening before, Ryan and I took the car for a drive, to make sure everything was ok. I stayed longer, to polish the chrome parts on the car. Getting the Autosol Chrome Polish, I started work on the front, while Lisa worked on the back of the car, that way we could finish quicker.

Finishing just before midnight, we locked everything up and started making our way back to my place. From the day Lisa came back, she has been staying with me at my apartment.

Entering the Inn the last few customers were getting ready to leave. Barbara was collecting the glasses from the tables, Lisa took an empty tray to help her. That gave Patsy a chance to talk with me as she didn't have the opportunity too since Lisa came back.

"Is everything ok now?"

I just nodded my head up and down to say yes.

Getting four glasses, she filled them up with orange juice, calling out to Lisa and Barbara. "Girls come over, to have a drink." All four of us stood there in a circle with a glass of orange juice in our hands we clinked glasses. "Cheers."

Looking at Patsy, I said. "Wait a minute, shouldn't you be drinking JD." With a smile, she brought her glass up to her lips, winking before she started to drink her orange juice.

Next day we arrived very early at Ryans house, walking into the kitchen, we found him in the kitchen preparing breakfast.

"Uncle you should have waited, I would have prepared all that," Lisa said.

"Don't worry honey. I was up at the crack of dawn today."

After breakfast, Lisa and I cleaned up, while her uncle went upstairs. When he returned, I saw on his face that something was wrong. He walked into the garage, ranged around the car, lightly kicking the tyres, like he was inspecting them.

"Is everything ok Ryan?" I said.

"Steve I wanted to tell you something. You've done a great job on the car. It looks and sounds like when my son first bought it. You've spent hours to bring it to this condition, and I know how much you want to take it for it's MOT. But please understand me this car was a bond between my son and me." Before he could say anything else, I stopped him.

"Ryan I understand, I was waiting for you to say to me, you will be taking it for its test. Tell you the truth I am relieved. I was scared of driving it."

On his way to Welwyn Garden City, Lisa and I tagged along with him. Lisa insisted that I needed a new wardrobe. Dropping us off at The Howard Centre, as he slowly drove off, Lisa took my arm in hers tight as we both watched the car. "Thank you for making my uncle smile again," she said as she put her head on my shoulder.

For two hours it was from one shop to another. By midday, we were walking down the high street with a handful of bags in either hand. Walking past Caffè Nero, a group of suits were sitting outside enjoying their beverages, while throwing comments at every female who walked by. Suddenly one of them called out loud so the others could hear. "Wow look at those set of wheels!" That got everyone's attention, including us.

It was Ryan just cruising along with an expression on his face like he didn't have a care in the world. Suddenly one of the suits shouted at us. "Sorry, you two, can you move out of the way, your blocking my view." That is when Lisa's uncle noticed us. Parking the car, he casually climbed out of the driver's seat, went to the back, opening the boot, we both strolled up to the car, throwing the bags in the back. After Ryan had handed me the key, he opened the passenger door for Lisa to climb in the back seat. Sitting on the passenger side while I walked to the driver's side. I didn't see them, but Lisa told me after I drove off, the suits just sat there with open mouths staring.

Driving back to Lemsford, I didn't feel too comfortable. I guess a car with this kind of power needs some getting used too. Parking the car in the garage, I switched off the engine while I took a deep breath. Ryan noticed this, he said. "You'll get used to it."

Back in the house, Lisa was preparing lunch while Ryan and I were going through the paperwork of the car. "The emissions was excellent, while the BHP was higher than it should be. It was due to the manifold you changed. I can't remember us ordering a new manifold for the car?" He said.

"I found it online, it was cheap, so I bought it, if you want me to take it off I'll remove it in the morning?"

"I don't want you to remove it, Steve. Just tell me how much it was so I could give you the money, and don't say it was cheap because I know that is an expensive part."

"Consider it a gift from me," I replied.

After lunch, all three of us went to the cemetery were Ryans son was buried. Lisa and I cleaned the flower bed from any weeds growing, while Ryan cleaned the tombstone. After finishing, we went and sat in the car, leaving Ryan to be alone with his son for a while. On the way back to the house, we were all quiet in the car for a while.

Ryan broke the silence by saying. "I think Jame's would have liked you."

"What did you say, uncle?" Lisa asked him.

"James and Steve have so much in common. They could have been friends if he didn't ....."

It was the first time that I had stayed at Ryan's house. We sat till very late, Ryan spoke to us about his family. How he met his wife, when they got married it was the greatest day of his life. When James was born, it was like a miracle come true for both of them.