Rocky Mountain High

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
komrad1156
komrad1156
3,802 Followers

"I'm so sorry, Elton. I know how you feel about drugs. What did she say?" Layne asked now that he felt like talking about it.

"She basically told me it was none of my damn business. She said she's bored and needs something to break the monotony of being alone all the time."

"Yeah, but marijuana? I know it's legal here, but she knows your history and how you feel about it. Talk about pouring salt in the wound."

"It isn't just that," he said pensively.

Layne sensed he wanted to say more but didn't push. Just moments later he said, "We never really have time to...you know...with all the hours we put in studying and frankly, I'm so burned out the last thing I want to do when I get home is fool around. And that's important to her. I get that. Hell, it's important to me, too. I'm just so mentally wrung out, you know?"

"But not that important to you?" she said trying to be playful. When he didn't even smile she said, "Again, I apologize. That sounded terrible, I'm sure."

"It's important to me. I'm pretty much you're typical guy so...." He saw her looking at him and wondered if she was thinking it so he asked, "What? Are you thinking a typical guy my age, by any chance?" He glanced at her again and could see a kind of compassion and understanding he hadn't noticed before.

"No, I wasn't," she told him sincerely. "It would be pretty awful if you didn't enjoy sex—at any age, I suppose. Unless there's something physiologically wrong, every couple should enjoy making love as often as they can." She saw him smile and added, "Yes—like my mom and dad did." She laughed quietly after saying it and Elton even laughed briefly, too.

"It feels so good to laugh even if it's just for a moment," he told her. "Thanks. I really needed that."

"Me, too," she said. "It's not exactly like I'm doing any better in that department these days."

They were already back on campus and as Layne found an empty spot he said, "That was pretty selfish of me."

"What was?" she asked genuinely not understanding.

"All I did was whine about poor little me and never bothered to even think you might be in same boat. For what it's worth, I'm sorry you're not you know...getting any, either."

Layne laughed again and said, "I wouldn't know what to do with it even if I had the opportunity. I'm also so tired when I get home I don't even turn to my...toys...for relief. I eat dinner, study until I can't study anymore, then I'm asleep seconds after my head hits the pillow."

"Ah, yes. The glamorous life of a wanna-be lawyer," he said as she turned off the ignition. "Isn't it grand?" Layne just smiled and Elton thanked her again for the ride.

That evening Elton returned once again to empty cottage and in spite of his exhaustion, made his way to the main home. He went around the back to check the pool and no one was in it. He went inside and heard laughter from somewhere but couldn't pinpoint the exact location. He wandered around through the kitchen and ended up in the living room where he heard the laughter growing stronger.

He stopped just outside of the recording studio and saw Weston inside the glass-enclosed recording area playing guitar with the other members of his band. Then he saw the source of the laughter as his mom passed a joint to Trisha. He didn't walk inside or say a word. He just stood there and watched as they passed it back and forth until a roach clip was needed. Having seen enough, he went back to the cottage and fell asleep.

When he woke up, he was still alone. He quietly got dressed and waited outside for Layne.

"Another rough night?" she asked immediately.

"Is it that obvious?" he asked in return as they pulled away.

"You're pretty much an open book these days," she told him.

He told her what he'd seen and Layne asked, "What do think you'll do about it?"

"Honestly? I have no idea. I guess a part of me is hoping it's just a phase, you know? That maybe she really is just bored and that once we get through all this, things will be back to normal."

"You know that 'all of this' is going to last several more years, right?"

"Gee thanks. With friends like you...." She saw him look away and instinctively reached out for his hand.

She took it and said, "Elton. I'm sorry. I seem to have a way of continuing to say things I have no business saying."

She let go almost as quickly as she'd grabbed it, but just the feeling of her touch for that brief moment felt so...good; so...comforting.

He looked back over at her and said, "You and I talk ten times more than Trisha and I do anyway. It's nice to have someone who understands."

"So you're not upset with me for sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong yet again?"

"No, not at all. In fact, I'm really grateful just to have a friend to talk to." He waited for her to look his way again then said, "Thank you for that, Layne. It means a lot to me."

"My pleasure," she replied. "I like talking with you, too." She slowed for the light and as the car came to a stop, he reached out for her hand.

"What are you doing?" she asked.

"When you held mine a minute ago, it was...it was...." He looked at her and asked, "Was it just me?"

She turned away and looked up at the light and didn't speak. Elton pulled his hand back feeling like a fool and wondering if he hadn't just ended the only real friendship he had.

As Layne parked the car she looked over at him and said, "It wasn't just you."

He didn't need to ask what she meant and neither of them spoke until they got inside. "So...you ready for more case law?" he said.

Layne sighed and said, "Case law. Oh, goody," as they sat down and got ready to start another long, grueling day.

Elton was growing used to an empty cottage. He'd finally gotten over being angry about Trisha's getting stoned even as it now appeared to be a daily thing.

After showering he was almost afraid to look out at the pool again. Unable not to look, he wasn't surprised when he saw his mother swim to the end of the pool he could see and stop. She turned around and although he couldn't hear sounds from inside he saw her scream with excitement as a female form swam under her then appeared directly in front of her. He felt like he'd vomit when the female body appeared as he watched his mother embrace his girlfriend and kiss her the way only he was supposed to kiss her.

Just as before, his mother saw him looking and shook her head. As before, Trisha turned around and shrieked. And just as it happened before, she was in the cottage moments later trying to explain what he'd just seen.

He'd never lost his temper with her before, but this time he laid into her. "What the fuck was THAT?" he hollered.

"I don't know," she told him. "It...it just happened. I've never done that before. I swear."

She was also stoned out of her mind. "It just...happened? You just happened to be in the pool with her and you just happened to swim directly to her and you just happened to end up kissing her? My freaking mother, for God's sake? All that...just happened? Are you fucking insane? I don't even know who you are anymore!" he hissed.

"Yeah? Well I don't even KNOW you!" she screamed. "I don't even SEE you anymore. You're NEVER here. I haven't been laid in weeks and you don't even give a SHIT!"

Her reaction took him by surprise so much he reached out to put his hands on her shoulders and finish telling her what he thought. When he did, she screamed again saying, "DON'T TOUCH ME! Just don't fucking touch me!!!" She turned and ran out leaving him there once again wondering what in God's name was going on with her.

And just like before, he was too tired to care. He knew he did care or at least that he should care. He just couldn't make himself do it right then.

The next two times he came home, Trisha was at her computer working and she'd even tried apologizing for her behavior this last time. Elton soon learned her only motivation was for sex and when he told her he was too tired for it, she'd stormed out.

When Layne came to pick him up the next morning she asked if he had any coffee in the house as she hadn't had time for a cup.

"Come on. Let's go check in the 'palace'," Elton told her.

Layne followed him to the kitchen where he found a pot with some coffee left in that smelled burnt. "Is this okay?" he asked.

"As long as it has caffeine in it, it can be motor oil," she told him truthfully.

Elton handed her a cup of the black tar then stood completely still. "What was that?" he said.

"It sounded like um...."

"Yeah, I know what that sound sounded like." He excused himself and followed the sounds again until he got to the hallway. He wasn't aware Layne had followed him that far, and as he made his way down it, he saw her standing where the hallway began. She stood there holding her coffee as the sounds grew louder.

Elton pushed open the door to one of the bedrooms and stared. It took him a moment to make sense of the scene as his brain tried to process it all. Weston was grunting loudly as he fucked Elton's girlfriend who was on her back with her legs up in the air. As impossible as that was for his brain to process, far worse was seeing his mother sitting on her face also moaning loudly as Trisha ate her pussy.

Trisha saw him first and screamed. Leigh turned around and said, "Oh, great! There's buzz kill again. Shouldn't you be at work or school or whatever it is you do?"

Weston hopped off and started backing up. "Dude! This isn't what you think."

Trisha pulled a sheet over her naked body and sat there trembling causing Elton to understand how Layne must have felt when her lover's wife walked in on them. She, at least, had been completely unaware he was spoken for.

"You know what?" he finally said. "You deserve each other." He looked at Trisha and said, "I'll pick up my things when I get home tonight and hey, don't stop on my account. It just cost you our relationship so you may as well get your money's worth, Trisha."

She started to plead with him begging him not to leave her and as he walked away he heard his own mother say, "Forget it, hon. He is so wrong for you on so many levels there aren't words to describe it. Come back to bed, baby. I was so close to getting off."

No one spoke all the way to the hospital and Layne never touched her 'motor oil'. "I'm sorry you had to see that," he finally told her. "I know there are plenty of dysfunctional families out there, but no one should be exposed that kind of thing."

Layne looked at Elton and said, "I didn't actually see it, but I did hear it all." She reached over and took his hand and said, "You did see it and that had to be devastating yet here you are worried about me. For the life of me, I will never understand why Trisha can't see what she's throwing away."

Elton couldn't remember the last time he'd cried. It might have been when he was six and his mother told him for the first time he was nothing but a mistake. He'd cried for hours that night, but he couldn't remember crying since. He was sure he had, he just couldn't recall doing so.

It didn't last long, but the constant exhaustion and the mental turmoil coupled with the events of the evening did him in. Layne put her hand on his back as he bowed his head and let it out. In less than half a minute it was over and Elton felt ashamed in spite of knowing how deeply he'd been hurt.

He wiped his eyes and said, "I didn't want you to see that, either."

"See what?" she asked as she rubbed his back. "That you're kind and caring and compassionate? That you can only take so much before you hit your breaking point? That you're human?"

"And alone," he said taking a deep breath. He exhaled then said, "Okay. Pity party's over. Let's get to work."

"No, not yet," she said. "Come here." She held out her arms and Elton hesitated. "It's just a hug but you look like you could really use one so...come on."

Elton laughed, looked at her, looked away, then turned back toward her. He felt overwhelmed with emotion again as he leaned toward her. She put her arms around him and stroked the back of his head with her hand. After several moments, he lifted his head up and thanked her. "Speaking of being kind and compassionate," he said forcing himself to smile.

"Yes, indeed. Speaking of compassion....you're going to need a place to stay. We have three empty bedrooms in our much-too-big of a house so until you can find a place of your own...."

"No. No way, Layne. I can't do that to you."

"You're not doing anything to me, Elton. I'm doing something for you—as a friend—and I insist. It's done. It's settled. You're staying with me—with...us."

He took her hand as he looked into her eyes and said, "I know I'm a train wreck right now, but having a friend means everything to me. And staying with you? That has a very nice sound to it right about now. Thank you."

"You're very welcome," she told him sincerely. "Now come on. We have class." She sat there patiently waiting for him to let go of her hand before opening the door. "You gonna be okay?" she asked on the way in.

"Eventually," he told her. He put his arm around her as they walked and changed the subject. "So can you tell me the main points of Chevron?"

"As a matter of fact, I can," she said feigning smugness. "Can you recite the main points of Everson v Board?"

"Maybe," he told her honestly. "I know it's the basis for separation of church and state. Does that count?"

"As far as I'm concerned it counts, but that won't be enough to pass the bar. Come on, study buddy, we've still got a ton of studying left to do."

On the ride back to Longhorn that evening, no one spoke until Layne pulled into his mother's driveway. "Do you want me to wait here for you or maybe even come inside?"

"No. No, that wouldn't be a good idea. I have to handle this myself, Layne."

"So you're going to take the car?" she asked not sure if he'd decided and if he hadn't, he'd need a ride.

"It's in my name so legally it's my vehicle."

"Okay, I was just checking." She watched him open the door then said, "Good luck."

He got out then waved before walking away. Layne started backing out when she heard him call out, "Hey! Hold on!"

She pulled back up and rolled down the window. "Would you mind waiting? Just in case?"

"Not at all," she told him. "I'll be right here. Take as long as you need." Her elbow was resting on the window opening and he briefly touched it before walking away again.

Not sure what to expect when he opened the door he did so very slowly. He looked up and around the room and everything was utterly straight, clean, and organized. "What the hell?" he said quietly as he walked in.

He saw the bathroom door open then saw a long, slender leg in a white stocking and five-inch heel appear followed by another. "Hi there," she said huskily with a sexy, pouty look on her face.

Trisha was wearing a beautiful white bustier with a garter belt attached to the stockings. Her hair and makeup were the way he loved them. Clearly, she was pulling out all the stops.

"I'm sorry, Elton. I was wrong—about everything. The drugs, the...." She looked right at him and said, "I let your mom talk me into trying cocaine...after the weed and the vodka and...and everything seemed so...wonderful. If I'd seen a bomb go off I'd have thought it was the most beautiful explosion ever. I felt bullet-proof and I ended up where you found me. That wasn't me, baby. This is and I still love you so much."

She walked toward him showing off every female attribute she had. She put her arms around his neck and said, "Can you forgive me? Can you let me make it all up to you? Please, Elton. I'll do anything. Anything. Please?"

He raised his arms and gently grabbed hers and lowered them. "Where are the car keys, Trisha?"

"What? What are you talking about? Are you leaving me? You're turning down...this? You can't honestly tell me you're gonna walk out on me."

He didn't answer her, he just started looking around. He opened the desk drawer, looked in her jeans, then reached for her purse. That's when he sensed something moving. He looked over his shoulder just in time to see a heavy, stone bookend being directed at his head. He instinctively lurched to the side, but it still struck a glancing blow leaving a small gash in the right side of his head just above the ear.

"You bastard! Get out! Get OUT of here! Leave me the fuck alone! I HATE you, you selfish fucking BASTARD!"

He picked up her purse, shook it, and heard the keys. She tried pummeling him with her fists but he just gently pushed her onto the bed. "That's assault, you asshole!" she screamed. "I'll call the cops! You'll never practice law! You're DONE! You hear me???"

He removed the keys, grabbed his gym bag and quickly threw in his underwear, socks and tee-shirts. He went to the closet, threw in his four pairs of shoes then grabbed an armful of shirts and pants and headed for the door.

"No, wait! I'm sorry! Don't leave me, Elton!" Trisha sobbed. "Please don't go!"

He used his toe to fully open the still-cracked-open door as she sobbed. "I'll hurt myself! I swear to God I will. If you walk out, that'll be on you!"

He turned around barely able to hold his worldly possessions and said, "No, this has been on you from the moment you chose to take that first toke and it's especially on you when you made the conscious decision to prostitute yourself with mommy dearest and her lover. If I were you, I'd get to the free clinic and get checked. After that, you might want to see a psychiatrist. You need help, Trisha."

He turned around and said, "Have a good rest of your life. You and my mom deserve each other."

He heard her begin sobbing as he walked out. Layne saw him and ran to help with his things. "How did it go?" she asked as she took his bag.

It was quiet for a moment and she could hear Trisha wailing from inside the cottage. "That bad, huh?"

"Yeah. That bad," he said. "I'll just go start the car and follow you if that's okay."

"I'd like that," Layne said with a smile. As he put his things in the trunk she saw his hair was wet and matted. "What in the world is this?" she said. She touched it then saw it was blood and recoiled. "Jesus! What just happened in there? Did she shoot you or something?"

"It's nothing," he said even though he knew it was gonna hurt like hell when the adrenaline wore off.

"We need to get you to the hospital," she said, her hands trembling and her voice shaky.

"No. I don't need to go to the hospital," he told her. "Just take a couple of pics of it, will you?"

Layne wanted to argue, but she was to afraid to say anything else. She pulled out her phone and took a few pictures from different angles. "Okay. Got it," she told him.

"Those are evidence. Just in case."

"Can you drive?" she asked.

"I'm fine. It's not that bad—really. Let's just get out of here, can we?" he asked as he slammed the trunk shut.

"Yeah, sure. I'll start my car." She opened her door then said, "I want you to stay right behind me and if you start feeling dizzy or faint, you pull over immediately, okay?"

"Sure. But I'll be fine," he assured her. "Go ahead, I'll follow you," he said his head now already throbbing from the blow.

Layne managed a nervous smile and told him, "I could get used to you following me."

"Don't get used to it," Elton said mustering a weak smile. "You're only going to be around for a few more weeks and then you're off to the Wild Blue Yonder."

"You could follow me there too, you know," she said playfully.

Elton smiled and said, "Yeah, right. I did my time in the military so...no thanks. I'll be right behind you."

"Then I'll try to keep my speed to under a hundred this time," she said not sure what else to say.

Elton had still never met Layne's mother as he didn't want Trisha to have the extra ammunition of having been to her place to use against him. At least that had been his thought process back when he still believed there was something worth saving. The thought of Trisha in her white lingerie now stood juxtaposed in his mind with the woman he'd seen in bed with his own freaking mother and the thought sent chills through him as he realized just how lucky he'd been to find out who Trisha really was before it was too late.

komrad1156
komrad1156
3,802 Followers