Rocky Mountain High

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
komrad1156
komrad1156
3,803 Followers

Mrs. Compton saw them drive in and came out to meet them. She went directly to Elton and said, "Layne called me and told me what happened. Let me take a look at that gash."

The blood was now matted and she could see it wasn't serious as she tried to see through his thick hair. "You'll live," she said. "Layne's also told me what's going on, Elton. None of it is any of my business. I just want you to know you are welcome to stay with us as long as you need."

As Elton listened to her he understood where Layne got her fabulous looks. "Thank you, Mrs. Compton. This is unbelievably kind and generous of you."

"You're more than welcome. Oh, I'm so sorry. I'm Lorraine. Can I help you with anything?" she asked as she saw the pile of clothes in his trunk.

"Um...sure. If you don't mind that would be very helpful."

"Not at all," she told him. She wiped her hands on the grass before grabbing roughly half the stuff he'd jammed in there and Elton picked up the rest while Layne carried in his gym bag.

"See, I told you my mom wouldn't mind."

"Yeah, she's pretty great."

"Mom's the best. Trust me," she said as she showed him to his room.

"Wow, this room's as big as the entire cottage," he remarked after looking around. It wasn't quite that large, but it was a very spacious room with a large closet an access to a Jack and Jill bathroom.

She saw him looking and said, "Don't worry. I don't use that bathroom. It's all yours."

"Oh, good. I had all kinds of images coming to mind," he said managing a smile.

"Hmmm. Good images?" she asked.

In spite of the pain in his head, Elton laughed for the first time in several days and said, "No. More like you walking in at the worst possible time and...."

"Seeing you naked?" she said keeping up the kidding.

"That wouldn't be the worst time. You can trust me on that," he assured her.

"Oh. Ohhh! Oh, God! Yeah, that would be bad." She laughed then said, "My mom bought me the book Everyone Poops when I was a little girl."

Elton laughed again and said, "Okay, this conversation has gone to...shit in a big hurry."

Layne laughed and said, "It's so nice to see you laugh again, Elton. You have the nicest smile."

He'd felt a kind of tension between them before but always dismissed it immediately. He didn't do drugs—ever—and he didn't cheat—ever, and even emotional flirting was cheating in his book. But now he was free to explore that tension and he was suddenly aware of just how incredibly beautiful Layne was.

"Why are you staring?" she asked.

"Was I?" he said realizing he had been.

"Yes, you were. Is everything okay?"

"Um, yeah. Or it will be anyway. I'm just gonna need some time to get used to being single again."

"You were always single," she told him even though she used the term that way herself all the time. "Are you hungry? My mom is an amazing cook."

"I am. I'm starving as a matter of fact. Let me just take a shower and wash this blood out and I'll be right out."

"Take your time. That's a pretty nasty gash."

"It's just a small cut," he said downplaying it. Trisha had nailed him with the curved end of the bookend and there was a semicircle-cut on his scalp. It didn't need stitches but it was hurting like hell as his pulse hammered home the pain. Twenty minutes later it was all cleaned up and in a couple of days he'd be none the worse for wear.

As he sat in the kitchen waiting for dinner, he quickly learned Lorraine was as modest as she was beautiful. She clearly didn't like talking about herself, but Layne was all too happy to supply any missing details. "So Mom basically put herself through college by modeling," Layne told him when they discussed where they all grew up and went to school.

"It was just local stuff, honey. You make it sound like I was on the cover of Vogue or something."

"Well, you should have been, Mom. You're gorgeous!"

Lorraine just shook her head, but Elton could see it made her feel good. "She's right, you know," he said.

"About?" Lorraine asked.

"You, of course. You are a beautiful woman."

"Oh, get out of here," she said. "I'm 48-years old and whatever beauty I may have once had has long since...."

"Oh, it's still very much there," Elton said with Layne chiming in her agreement.

"See? Even Elton thinks you're pretty and he's...old!" She and her mother laughed but for different reasons.

"He's hardly old, honey. And he's a very handsome young man."

"I won't argue about the handsome part. Well, not too much anyway. I'm not so sure about the young thing, though. I mean, how many new, first-year associates his age do you think are at Dad's old firm?"

"Um, well, the answer would most likely be none, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't hire someone his age just because he's a little over 30."

"A little over?" Layne said pushing the age thing a little too far.

"Okay, enough on age. I'm starting to feel mine just talking about it," she said. "Dinner is ready, by the way."

For the rest of the evening they chatted pleasantly about themselves, Layne's late father, the law firm where he'd been managing partner for his last several years, as well as what Elton planned to do after he passed the bar.

"That's the proverbial sixty-four thousand-dollar question," he told Lorraine truthfully. "I don't have the Air Force picking up my tuition for law school," he began smiling at Layne, "so I kind of need a job as in—right away."

"Once you do, we'll talk," Lorraine said. "I still keep in touch with most of the senior partners from the firm and I'll be happy to put in a good word for you."

"Is Ezra Wheeler still hitting on you, Mom?" Layne asked.

"Hitting on me? Please. That sounds so crass. He's asked me out a few times, but he's been a perfect gentleman about it. That's hardly 'hitting on me'," she said in reply.

"I knew you went out with him that one time. Are you still seeing him?"

"No, it was just that one time. I'm busy with work and...."

"Okay, Mom. I get it. You don't have to make excuses. If you don't like the guy, you don't like the guy. It's okay to say so."

"Well, he really is a very nice man."

"Yes, he is, but I know you well enough to know that means he's not exactly...attractive."

"He's definitely not your father, that's for sure, but then...no one is."

"You can't expect to find another Dad, Mom," Layne told her mother. "But you could find a really decent man you're attracted to if you'd ever give anyone a chance."

"I go out!" Lorraine said defensively. "I'm open to meeting someone and possibly even remarrying someday. I'm just not in any hurry."

"You can say that again!" Layne quipped. "Averaging a date a year certainly qualifies as not being in a hurry." She saw her mother was a little bit hurt. "Sorry, Mom. I'm actually kind of glad you're...selective." Layne wanted to say 'picky' but it seemed rude. "You and I both would be very unhappy if you just settled for some guy for convenience sake. Thank goodness Dad made sure money wouldn't be an issue for you so it's not like you need a man or anything."

"Can we talk about something else?" Lorraine said pleasantly but firmly. "I'm sure Elton has no interest in my dating life."

She smiled at him and he smiled back. "I'm interested in learning about you—both of you—it's just that whom you do or don't date is none of my business." He found himself wanting to get off that subject too, and said, "Can I help with anything? Dishes? Take out the trash? Anything at all?"

"We've got it," Lorraine said happily, thankful they'd moved on. "Elton? You're welcome to stay here and watch TV or go study in the den or just relax in your room," she told him.

"Thank you, Lorraine. I think I might just do that," he replied. "I can't thank both of you enough for letting me stay here, and dinner was amazing."

He could tell she appreciated the compliment. "Make yourself at home. Anything we have is yours. Food, drinks, you name it. If it's here, it's yours. Just let me know if you take the last of something so I'll know to buy more."

"Great. And again, thank you. I think I'll just head to my room and do some studying."

Layne smiled and said, "Not yet, big guy. How about a hug? You could probably use one after the day you've had."

"You know? That might kind of nice," he said accepting her offer.

When Layne let him go, he stood there and saw Lorraine looking at him. She smiled and said, "We're both so glad to have you, Elton." She smiled again then asked, "Could you stand a second hug?"

"I think I'd be okay with that, too," he said as she opened her arms, too. He held her only briefly, but he was surprised at the way she made him feel. Her perfume was exquisite and her body was hard yet so very soft and...nice. Her hair was much shorter than her daughter's, but she was every bit as attractive for a woman her age. He'd have easily taken her for 40 had he seen her in a bar or anywhere else and a young-looking 40 at that.

He almost hated to let go of her but knew he had to so he reluctantly stepped back. "Well, goodnight, ladies," he said thanking them yet again for their hospitality as he headed for his room.

"I can see why you like him so much. He is hot!" he heard Lorraine say after he turned the corner.

"Mother...please!" he also heard Layne say.

"Well, excuse me! I didn't know it was a state secret. I thought you'd already told him how you feel. How was I supposed to know you hadn't?" was the last thing he heard as he walked into his room smiling and trying not to laugh.

Elton was out of bed by 6:30 and thought he was the first one up. He was more than a little surprised to see Lorraine sitting in the kitchen with a cup of coffee.

"Good morning! How did you sleep your first night?" she asked as she got up to pour him a cup of coffee.

"Great!" he told her before being saying, "I can get that."

"I've got it. Go ahead and have a seat. Do you take cream or sugar?"

"No, thank you. Just black." She handed him a steaming cup and he took a first sip which tasted amazingly good. "Wow. That is some good coffee."

"What can I get you for breakfast, Elton?" Lorraine asked. Her smile was amazing. Layne really was a younger version of her mother.

"Just coffee for now, thank you," he said.

"Well, please let me know if you'd like something. I can whip up pancakes or French toast in no time."

Elton laughed and Lorraine didn't understand. "Sorry, it's just that in my mother's house, the thought of her cooking something for me is laughable. Actually, the thought of finding anything to eat is pretty unlikely."

"You poor thing. One of my greatest joys is cooking and I love making breakfast, lunch, and dinner for my family."

Layne came in and said good morning prompting her mom to tell Elton, "This one eats like a bird so I really don't get the opportunity to cook." She smiled at both of them and said, "If you do get hungry, please let me know, okay?" She got up and said, "I need to get ready for work and that'll give you kids a chance to talk."

"No coffee for me, Mom?" Layne asked.

"There's half a pot right there, sweetheart," she said pointing to the pot.

"My mom thinks you're hot," Layne said as she poured a cup.

"I heard that, Layne!" her mother called out.

Layne laughed. "Busted! But it's true. She thinks you're cute." She sat down and said, "So do I."

"Oh, really?" he said taking another sip. "Where's this coming from all of a sudden."

"Well, you're single now, right? I was a good girl and never told you how I felt until it was okay to do so. Now it is, so I am."

"You really know how to make a guy's day, don't you?" he said before thanking her for the compliment.

She reached out for his hand and said, "I'm pretty good at making a guy's night, too." She saw the way he looked at her then added, "So if you're ever interested...."

"You'll be the first to know," he told her.

"Promise?" she said running her fingers over his hand.

"Scout's honor!" he assured her.

There were just three weeks left before the course ended and the final exam was the Bar itself. They would have to pay an additional fee to the State, but THEMIS was authorized to proctor the test and both of them were planning to take it the day after the last day of classes.

As interested as Elton was in Layne's flirting, both of them were still constantly mentally exhausted as there was no real end to preparation. Weekends weren't days off, they were 'free time' to review material and study ahead for the following week's lectures.

The Bar Exam was a full two-day affair followed by three excruciating months of waiting for results so there would be time for love, sex, and romance—should the opportunity present itself—once they'd taken and hopefully passed it. As the big day approached, their apprehensions grew and their confidence levels waned.

"Do you think you're ready?" Layne asked as she drove them to the university for the first day of testing.

"I hope so. I'm about as ready as I can be. I'm just not sure that's ready enough, you know?"

"Tell me about it," she said as they entered the room to get ready to take start the exam. "I've hardly slept in a week. I'm dreaming about torts in my sleep!"

It was 4:30pm before they finished and both of them were wrung out. They talked nervously about various aspects of the test that day then wondered aloud about what awaited them the next day.

The second day was just as grueling and as they walked out together Elton said, "Well, it's all over but the shouting."

"Or the crying. I still can't believe with the technology we have it takes months to get results."

"So...how shall we celebrate?" he asked.

"How about with a full night's sleep?" she said only partly kidding.

"Alone or...."

"I like the way you think, study buddy," she told him.

When they got home, there was a large envelope laying in the middle of the kitchen table with a sticky note on it which read: "I totally forgot this came right after graduation. I put with some of my quilt magazines and just saw it again this morning. Hope it's not important. Love, Mom"

"What in the world is this?" Layne said. She looked at the return address and it said, "Department of the Air Force."

She sat down and opened the envelope with a sharp knife and removed the contents of the package.

"What the...."

"What is it?" Elton asked.

"I have to report for a physical exam tomorrow morning," she said unable to believe what she was reading. "This can't be right. That doesn't happen until after the Bar results are...."

She kept reading then he heard her say, "Oh, no. No, this can't be. There's been a change to policy and the Air Force is taking all future lawyers who received scholarship money immediately after graduation even if they haven't passed the bar."

"And that's been sitting around for over two months, right?"

"Oh, my God. This is...unbelievable. I've gotta be at the Air Force Academy tomorrow morning at 1000 hours for the final physical and...I am so f...."

"Screwed?" he asked.

"Evidently, that's something I won't be," she said unaware of the connection to the full night's sleep she may or may not have been getting.

"Is there anything I can do to help? Can I drive? Anything at all?"

"No, I don't think so," she said. "I need to read through all of this very carefully and make up a checklist. I can't believe my mom left this laying around that long! This is just so unbelievable."

Several minutes later Layne said, "Elton! Look at this. It gets even worse! I'll be leaving the day after that for officer training school in San Antonio! I'll be there for five weeks then sent to my first duty station which is still TBD."

"Ah, yes. The military loves abbreviations. TBD is 'To Be Determined' as I recall. Either that or it's some duty station I've never heard of."

Layne didn't laugh. She sat the paperwork down for a moment then said, "Gee, thanks, Mom."

Layne became a whirling dervish of activity trying to think of everything she had to take care of locally before leaving while not missing anything she had to do for the Air Force. Elton had suggested she call someone and explain what happened and ask for more time. It seemed reasonable until Layne said, "Yeah, imagine me calling and offering one of those 'my dog ate the homework' excuses. I can't prove it and it sounds so lame it's embarrassing. I'm just gonna have to suck this up and deal with it."

Lorraine apologized so profusely Elton felt sorry for her once she learned how important the envelope was. She was visibly and profoundly upset not only at having done this to her daughter but she was certain they had at least three more months together and that had just shrunk to less than 48 hours.

When Layne finally settled down about 9pm, Lorraine said, "I'm taking the next two days off to go with you, honey. I know it's not much, but it's the only thing I can do. I'm just so...."

She began crying and Layne got up and went over to her. "Hey, it's not your fault, Mom. It was an accident. A mistake. Okay?"

"No, it's not okay," her mother said as she sobbed. "I'm not ready for you to leave. I had three months to mentally prepare myself and now I'm losing you in...."

Layne hugged her and said, "Mom? I'm not going off to war. It's Texas, not Iraq. I'll be back in five weeks for a few days before I PCS."

Elton explained that meant Permanent Change of Station or her first real duty station.

"You can come to my graduation and visit anytime you like and I'll come home as often as I can, okay?"

Lorraine stopped crying but was still upset. "Okay," she managed to say. "I just want to spend every minute with you until you leave."

"Well, not every minute," Layne said trying to inject some humor. "I don't think you want to be there for the physical exam."

Lorraine tried to laugh then reached for her daughter. "I love you so much and I'm going to miss you like crazy!"

"I know, Mom. Me, too. You're the most amazing mom ever."

"Your father would be so proud of you!" she said wiping her eyes. "I'm very proud of you, honey."

"Okay, big next two days ahead," Layne said trying to remain positive.

"Oh, I forgot about Elton. Did you want to come with us?" Lorraine asked not knowing he was already planning to go with Layne.

"Um, no, that's okay. You two can hang out together."

He saw Layne look at him and start to protest, but she realized what he was doing. She wanted to insist he come with them, but knew he wanted her to have time with her mother. "Thank you, Elton. That's...that's really very thoughtful of you."

"Are you sure?" Lorraine said. "You're more than welcome."

"No, I'm sure," he said looking wistfully at Layne. "It might be easier if we just said goodbye tomorrow morning."

The house was whisper quiet the rest of the evening and remained that way until very early in the morning. It was just over 100 miles south to Colorado Springs and Layne wanted to be on the road by 6:30am.

Elton drank a cup of coffee as Layne and her mother got ready. The each filled a travel mug with some coffee of their own and loaded up the car. "I'll give you and Elton a minute alone, okay?" Lorraine said.

"I'm going to try not to cry," she told him as she began her goodbye. "I just wanted to say that...well, I could very easily see myself with someone like you," she looked down the added, "or even with you, had we had more time together." She looked back up and said, "You've made such an impact on my life, Elton, and all of it has been good. You're smart, handsome, honorable, and decent. All the qualities I want in a future husband. I wish we'd had some more time, but it seems that wasn't meant to be. So let me just say thank you for being such a great person and for helping me get through the Bar Exam and most of all for being such a great friend."

komrad1156
komrad1156
3,803 Followers