Room for Rent

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Of course not. I was just double checking." I laugh. "My only regret is that I still have this frigin leg."

"Yeah, but the term is almost over and he'll do it then, right?"

"That's the agreement."

"Well, the other piece of good news is that I've found a used chair like this one." She taps both wheels on her wheelchair.

"Oh wow! That's great."

"It's black, but the same size seat and all ... in 'like new' condition, so the ad said."

"When can we get it?"

"It's in the car."

I wrap my arms around her tightly and cuddle for a moment. "Tara, I love you so-o much."

"Hmmm, that sounds so nice. Erika, I've always dreamed of you, I just didn't know when I'd meet you." She chuckles. "Listen, if we like this apartment, maybe you could start using the chair to go to class and all, you know, give up using the crutches."

"I'd like that. I need to get hand-controls for my car too so I can get comfortable driving without my feet."

"That's easy to arrange."

"Did I hear something about a used wheelchair?" Rachel says as she crutches into the room.

"Uh-huh," I reply. "And she found an apartment just off campus. We're going to see it tomorrow."

"Guess this room will be available soon," Rachel says then laughs. "Guess Sam needs to make up another flyer. I wonder if the next one will be as 'compatible'."

"Mom, that's probably too much to ask."

"Let's leave the wheelchair in your car and I'll use it when we look at the apartment."

"Yeah, and you'll never want to use those crutches again," Rachel says.

-

The day is pleasantly warm as Tara and I work out the details of getting two wheelchairs in and out of her car. After a few near disastrous tries, I am able to unload the chair and snap the wheels on then transfer onto the cushion. I catch myself using my foot, but eventually the process will be as natural as walking on crutches. Once the leg is gone, it will have to be.

"You look good in it," Tara says.

I roll away and back towards her a few times. Once I rock back on the anti-tip wheel and feel like I'm going to flip over backwards.

"You'll get used to that," she assures me."

"Glad that's back there. Maybe I should get a helmet, or motorcycle leathers." I laugh.

"Nah. You're just fine. Are you ready to see this place?"

"Yup. Let's go."

I follow, unable to keep up. She waits at the door for me.

"Hello," the woman says. "I'm Bonnie." We introduce ourselves and roll into the apartment behind her.

"I'll let you two look around. The last renter was in a wheelchair so I suspect everything will be fine. I don't think there's been two wheelchairs here though."

"Good thing to consider," Tara says over her shoulder as she rolls into the kitchen.

I roll into the bedroom and she follows. "Just think when our bed is in her."

"Yeah-h." She looks around and rubs her chin. "Will there be enough room for a queen-sized bed 'and' both chairs?"

"Don't know. Guess we should have brought a tape measure."

"Guess we can park at the foot of the bed. We'll work it all out. I like the place."

"And it's convenient to campus, just two blocks."

-

We move into the new apartment over the next few days with the help of people from school. There is a combination of furniture from her parents and new furniture sufficient that we have things in the bedroom, living room, and eating area by the kitchen.

As Rachel suggested, I never use my crutches again. Tara teaches me the tricks of living full time in a wheelchair, like how to carry things while rolling the wheelchair, taking baths, opening doors in stores, having a bag slung over the back to hold my purse, books, and laptop.

The Monday after finishing the move, I roll to the campus for my classes. I had scouted each classroom to find the best places to park a wheelchair. It is there I park in my first class of the day and open my laptop on the small desk. There is no comment to me from the lecturer as she drops her notes on the stand and begins speaking.

I have a two-hour break at noon and make my way towards the student center to have lunch with Tara.

"Look at you," Katlin says as she crutches towards me. "Getting all ready I see."

"Uh-huh. Tara and I found an apartment just off campus. It's interesting both of being in chairs, a tight squeeze sometimes." I laugh.

"I bet the bathroom is that way in the morning."

"Yup. Still getting the hang of being in a chair, but by the time I go under the knife, I'll be ready."

"Hi!" Tara calls as she pushes harder on the wheels to go faster.

"Makin' me feel like a freak," Katlin teases as she watches Tara close the distance quickly.

"You're just jealous," Tara says as she stops next to me and looks up at Katlin.

-

Tara's side of the bed is already cool as my hand rubs across the sheets. I pull her pillow over my face and inhale her fragrance letting it fill my soul for a while as I drift between sleep and being fully awake. I reach for the side of the mattress and pull myself upright. Without legs, I've lost the leverage of my leg to sit and roll over in ways that I used to. I balance on my legless hips, a hand casually offering support as I waver, other moments the hand roams my body enjoying all that it finds.

I drag my hips across the sheet, just a short distance, and let them land on the thick cushion of my wheelchair before rolling to the bathroom. Everything I do is different, though I no longer remember how I used to do them. The years have granted me a new found appearance, one that matches Tara's, and one that we both love.