Sam Spade 01: Case of the Missing Brother

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Instead of naming a price for me to haggle with he comes from behind the counter and hugs me tightly whispering in my ear, "Be careful Samantha. I don't want to have to face your old man when I pass on and explain how I let his little girl die." He kisses me on the cheek and then lets go, "No charge Red."

I stand there stunned. First a hand in mine and now a hug with a kiss! "I will, Jimmy," I say and grab my things almost running out the door. I had never seen Geek this way and it unnerved me. I knew he had known of dad but his words implied he knew more than just in passing.

Exiting the shop, I stop dead in my tracks. Angela, standing there beside a car, is waiting for me to come out. It occurs to me that I forgot to change her programming to stop her following me. "Angela, just the person I am looking for." I say smiling as I walk up to her. "Is there somewhere close we can talk?"

Chapter 3, Capture Scent

"Of course Samantha, anything you want," she says, quivering with excitement at seeing me. "Would you like to drive?" She offers me the keys.

"No thanks," I reply, and get in as she hurries to drive us to the north side. As we drive I become aware of her scent. The capture scent that she had used earlier in the day has faded but now a more alluring smell has replaced it. As she drives I watch her. She must be the one Alvin wrote of but failed to produce. "Why?" I ask, not realizing I am speaking out loud.

Angela glances at me and rests a lace covered hand on my leg as she drives. "Because I need you," she answers, misunderstanding my question.

In a dim part of my mind I realize she had somehow dosed herself with the proper sex version of the capture scent but it did not matter now. All I want is to be with and please her. We reach a small split level house on the north side and pull into a garage. Angela gets out of the car, walks inside, and I follow her like a well trained hound on a scent trail. Entering the house Angela walks into a living room. Stopping she turns, moves closer, her arms wrapping around my body, and kisses me deeply.

Without a thought I return the kiss, the need that has been burning in my nether regions flaring like a raging fire. She ends the kiss and dances out of my grasp. "Why don't you make yourself comfortable and make us a drink while I slip into something more fitting," she says, her voice breathless. If Angela had asked me to strip and dance in a fire, I would have readily agreed.

Even though I am compelled to follow her orders I am still able to take in the house. As I remove my trench coat and jacket I look around. There are several pictures scattered about of Alvin but none of Angela. Without thinking I remove the two shoulder holsters and set them down on a table and finally my tie unbuttoning the top two buttons. Going over to a dry bar on one wall I pour two glasses of bourbon. Opening an ice bucket, I manage to fish out some ice cubes floating in the water. It seems as if someone had filled the bucket earlier in the day.

When Angela entered the room I was struck by the musky capture scent once more. Even without it she was stunning, her hair down, makeup and nails perfect, and she was wearing a red silk gown with matching pumps. As I look at her, I suddenly feel how under dressed I am. I could even feel the dirt under my fingernails. "Angela, you look... beautiful," I say as she comes over and take the drink I made for her. Even without the capture scent I would have been smitten. She was some dame, an angel in robotic form.

Angela sips the drink and then sets it down before flowing against me, kissing me once more, tongue sliding into my mouth as if it belonged there. Somewhere along the line my drink disappeared because my hands are wrapped around her caressing the silk and body below as I kiss her back just as passionately.

Time becomes disjointed. Snip, we are in a bed with red silk sheets making love passionately, hearing her voice floating up from between my legs, "I love you Samantha." My voice, my words, just as heartfelt and real, speak of devotion in reply as I orgasm.

Snip, sitting at her dressing table as she applies makeup and nail polish making me beautiful like her. Angela asking about my past and my replies of how daddy wanted a son to carry on the business but he had me instead. Intermixed with my past we would pass more words of devotion. Looking in the mirror and not recognizing myself, I was beautiful.

Snip, watching as she cooks us dinner.

Snip, making love again, this time with tenderness and love instead of sexual need.

Snip, showering together.

Snip, cuddling and snuggling in bed.

I wake in the morning to the feel of Angela snuggling close. My hand reaches down to caress her hair and as her eyes open slowly she smiles. "Good morning angel" I say to her. Even though she had tricked me with the capture scent, I still felt grand. It was the first night that I could remember that I slept without a single nightmare or waking in a cold sweat.

Angela slides up and kisses me before saying, "Good morning love." Her hand reaching up to cup and caress my breast.

Even knowing it is unnatural and wrong, "I love you." I say as I kiss her over and over. The morning turning into a slow love session, each trying to bring pleasure to the other. I know in my mind that Angela is not real flesh and blood, but at the same time my heart does not care. I had found my soul mate, someone who understands and makes me feel loved and needed.

It is not till early afternoon when we finally shower and eat. I watch as she chews and swallows each bite. I can only surmise that this is how she recharges her batteries. Dressing, I frown at myself in the mirror. "Will you do my makeup, love?" I ask.

Nodding Angela says, "Of course my sweet." She leads me over to the makeup table and says, "Close your eyes and relax love." I must have fallen asleep for the next thing I know she is saying, "Wake up dear... All done..."

I look at myself in the mirror. My trademark look of unisex is gone and has been replaced with a vision of beauty. Now I am wearing; wet ruby red lipstick, matching nails, arched eyebrows, long lush lashes, a hint of blush, and alluring eye shadow. Turning my head I kiss her deeply and say breathlessly, "Thank you angel." I realize I must have just mussed up all her work and look back to check the lipstick. It is unharmed. I take a finger to wipe across it and look at my finger, no mark.

As I look up to Angela with question in my eyes she says, "It will stay, never fade or smudge." Standing, I turn to her fully and thank her the best way I know how. The clue that made me realize that she was an AP in the first place was that her makeup did not run or smudge when she cried. I smiled now realizing that perhaps others would make a mistake thinking I was a robot and give me an edge.

"I must go." I say. "I still need to find your brother Alvin" Angela's face falls at my declaration of leaving. I would love nothing more than to stay here with her, in her loving arms till the ends of time but I knew I must get back to work.

"Take me with you love. Please?" Angela says, her face matching the begging tone of her voice. "I can help somehow," she adds as I shake my head. As I start to say no, Angela's hands reach for my breast and between my legs to caress my flower. "I am sure I can help you love. Please don't leave me."

It is not her hands working their magic on my body that changes my mind. It is her last three words "Don't leave me" that causes me to pause. The thought of being away from Angela hits like a hammer blow to my heart. I can no more leave her then I could cut my arm off. "Of course you are going. We are partners now and forever," my voice says.

Angela's face lights up like a child at Christmas time and she hurries to change clothing. Instead of a dress that she was wearing she changes into a man's suit. As she is changing I realize the words I spoke are true. We ARE partners now and forever. The thought of losing my soul mate is too much to bear. I would deal with the problem of Dr. Alvin Williams when I have to. But for now my heart would hold tight to the happiness that it had found.

Finishing up dressing, I pull on my trench coat and place the fedora on my head, tucking up my hair under it. Looking in the mirror I frown and then lifting the hat let my auburn tresses fall to my shoulders and down my back. Placing the hat back on I cock it at a jaunty angle and look at myself. "Much better," I say and then notice that my hair is longer. Instead of being only to my shoulders it seems to flow a couple inches below. Pulling the hat off once again, I swing my head back and forth till the hair cascades down both the front and back of my shoulders. I guess it was this long to start with and I never paid attention till now.

Angela walks in and twirls around saying, "Are these appropriate my love?" I look her over. Other than her blond hair she looks almost a twin of me. Nodding, I smile and move to her to give her another kiss and hug before we go. Under her coat I feel shoulder holsters.

"Packing heat?" I ask, looking at her with surprise.

She nods and opening her coat I see she has somehow copied my pair of weapons.

"Good. Just be careful with them," I say, and take her hand leading her out to the car. Sitting down, I lean over to her and drink from her lips once more. I think to myself that this has got to stop or we will never get out of the house. "Ready?" I ask, sitting up and starting the car.

"Ready Sam," Angela says, and then as we back out adds, "Where are we going?"

"To see a man named Fat Johnny."

Chapter 4, Fat Johnny

Fat Johnny was a walking tub of lard that owned a small bistro called of all things, 'Fat Johnny's Pasta Palace'. There has to be a connection between small cheesy restaurants and the underworld. While he was not a part of the syndicate he generally knew what is going on. I figured I would have to have a little heart to heart with Fats if I am to find out what happened between Alvin and Frankie Desalvo.

I stop the car in front of his restaurant and before getting out I turn to Angela and tell her, "Follow my lead love and keep an eye on our back. Johnny's boys like to play rough." Glancing at the time I see we missed the lunch crowd and it should be mostly empty inside. Getting out of the car I think for a moment and remove my tie, unbutton the top two shirt buttons and replace my trench coat. I throw the jacket into the seat and glance over to Angela. Just as I had asked, she is following my lead and had also removed her jacket and tie.

Nodding to her, I pat my pockets and make sure the perfume is still in place. Meeting Angela at the front of the car, we enter together. Standing at the front in place of a maitre d' was one of the goons from yesterday. "Have a good subway ride?" I ask, as I move to go around him.

He grabs my arm and in a rough voice says, "Where you going sister? We're closed."

What happened next happened so fast that it was over before I could react. Angela took the goon's arm in her hands and pried it off me in the process breaking it, spun around and hurled him through the glass fronted counter beside us. Reaching down, she lifted him one-handed, glass shards sticking from his face like he was attacked by a glass porcupine, and said, "No one hurts Spade." She then drops him and turns to me with a look of concern on her face, "Are you OK Samantha? Did he hurt you?"

"I'm fine Angela. Good job," I add with a nod towards the unconscious man on the floor. "Shall we?" I ask with a smile. With her nod I turn and head towards the back where Johnny likes to hold court, as it were, lording over the sleazy restaurant. The other clown from the subway comes charging towards us. Looking at Angela I say, "I believe we have someone else without manners headed this way."

As I am finishing up the goon skids to a stop before us and says, "No skirts allowed, sister. Beat it." He looks at me for a moment longer before adding, "Aren't you the dame the boss wanted us to keep an eye on?"

Reaching my hand towards Angela I say "Let me handle this one, dear." I look at the goon; Fat Johnny must be breeding them for brawn because this one looks like a gorilla with an ill-fitting suit on. Holding a finger up, I say to the man, "First of all, neither one of us is wearing a skirt." Adding a second finger, "Secondly, the name is Sam Spade, not dame." I smile as the third finger joins the other two, "Third and most important, I have business with Fat Johnny and you are in my way."

The goon shakes his head, "You's a dame, you can't fool me. Now scram." He makes a shooing motion with his hands as if warding off a stray mutt.

Turning to Angela I frown and say, "Some people just never learn do they." With a rapid motion I spin back towards the clown, my hand coming out from under the trench coat holding the Colt. Continuing the turn, I slam the butt of the pistol against the back of his head. He stands there swaying a moment before crumpling in a heap on the floor.

Towards the back of the dining room I hear applause. "Well done Spade. You always know how to make a grand entrance."

I head to the table where Fat Johnny holds court while Angela looks from the man's crumpled form, to me, then back to the man again with a look of surprise on her face. "Hello Johnny," I say as I come to a stop across the table from him, my 45 moving on its own accord to center the sights on his forehead. "What's with the goons?"

Johnny, a plate of spaghetti with red sauce before him puts down his fork before answering, "You barge in, break up my place, and expect me to answer you as if I were a naughty child?" He starts laughing, "Spade you are too much." One hand drops to his lap.

Pulling back the hammer I say, "Hold it! Raise the hand nice and slow." Fat Johnny raises his hand to show a napkin and wipes his mouth with it before setting it down to one side. "I want answers, Johnny, and I am not in a mood to play games."

He pours a glass of wine and sips it. "Spade, if you don't learn to take a joke you will come to a bad end," he says shaking his head sadly, "Kids these days, no sense of humor. OK Spade, what do you want to know?"

Dropping the hammer as I lower the pistol towards the floor I say, "What's with the goons trailing me?"

"Practice?" Johnny says in reply. Then as my 45 raises back up he holds his hands up, "OK... OK... protection."

I expected any number of answers from Fat Johnny but protection was not one of them. "What do you mean protection?"

"Your father, Sam, saved my life," Johnny says looking down at his plate. "I owed a debt!" Making eye contact with me again he says in a low voice, "Word is out that you are in over your head on this one."

Holstering the Colt, I look at him and ask, "What's going on? First Jimmy and now you, both of you are acting funny."

"I don't know. Just that the word is that Sam Spade is going to go down hard. You know that playing hard ball you are bound to make someone's better dead list."

"You have a point there, Fats," I say, laughing off his worry. It seemed like every time I took a case someone would be out screaming about how I was going to end up wearing concrete overshoes. Pulling out the two bottles of capture scent, I place them on the table before him. "Who's dealing?" I say leaning forward, my hands on the table.

Fat Johnny glances at Angela standing beside me but does not answer. Looking at her I say, "Angela, would you go check the condition of the two gorillas and keep an eye on the door please."

"OK Samantha," she replies, and then heads towards the front.

"OK talk fast. Who's dealing this crap?"

"Um, I am!" Fat Johnny says, not meeting my eye and talking quietly.

"You? I want to know who you sold it to and I want to know right now."

Fat Johnny looks pointedly at Angela.

"Oh damn." I say quietly, then add, "Is there an antidote or are the changes..." I gulp, "forever?"

Reaching down, Johnny takes a small box and lifts it to the table. Looking at it I read 'White Owl Cigars'. He then opens it and lifts a row of cigars out of the box revealing several small bottles. Johnny lifts one out that is a match to the pair I have except its label bears a zero with a diagonal line through it. As he restores the box he says, "Nothing is forever. But this will clear any effects away immediately."

Reaching for the bottle I say, "How much I owe you?"

Johnny stops my hand with his. "No charge this time Spade. He looks pointedly towards the front of the restaurant and adds, "Be careful." Nodding, I take the bottle and slip it and the others into my pockets. As I turn away Fat Johnny says, "Oh... and Spade?"

Turning back I say, "Yea Fats?"

"I love your new look. It's nice to see you looking like a woman for a change. And those shoes are to die for," Fat Johnny says as he looks me over.

I can feel a blush rising, and feeling pleased say, "Thank you Johnny." Turning and heading out I take two steps before I stop. "Why would he compliment my shoes?" I ask myself, and look down at them. Instead of the men's oxfords I am wearing a pair of open toed sandals with three inch heels. My toenails are painted the same bright red as my fingernails and lips. I walk out gathering Angela at the door in a daze.

Once we are in the car I think back to earlier in the day. I remember Angela putting on the makeup and then bending down and buckling the sandals before I stood, as if it were part of my normal life. Looking down at them on my feet I can feel the hairs rising on my neck. I had never worn heels, never painted my toenails before today. I think to myself, "How could I have not noticed?"

Angela breaks my train of thought and asks, "what now my love?"

Looking at her, I think for a moment and then say, "The Pink Pussycat Club does not open for...," glancing at my watch, "...four hours yet." I glance at her as I back out, "Let's go to my place, I think we need to talk."

Chapter 5, Angela

Driving to my apartment I marvel how much I have changed in the last couple of days. First going to bed with a woman, I correct myself, robot, then makeup, nail polish, hair down and high heels. Glancing at my fingers then down at my feet and the sandals I realize I like this new look and feelings. Removing one hand from the wheel I lay it on her leg and feel the comforting addition of Angela's hand on mine.

Reaching the complex, I lead her up to my apartment. Opening the door, I usher Angela in and say, "Welcome to my humble abode." Looking around I realize how mannish it all is and frown. "I am sorry...," I say feeling I have let her down somehow.

Looking around, Angela turns to me and flows into my arms. Hugging and kissing me she says, her voice soft, "It's fine Samantha."

I place the bottles of capture scent and antidote on the coffee table before removing my trench coat and shoulder holsters. "Can I get you something?" I ask, as I go into the kitchenette to pour myself a stiff one.

Angela's voice drifts in from the living room like music to my ears, "Anything you are having is fine."

Pouring three fingers of bourbon into a pair of glasses I go back to the living room. Angela is sitting on the couch, her trench coat and shoulder holsters placed by mine. Sitting down beside her I hand her one of the glasses. I take a big sip, almost gagging on the sharp taste of the raw alcohol before saying, "You bought the capture scent from Fat Johnny."

Angela looks at me solemnly, "Yes Samantha, I did."

"Why?"

"To make sure you would help me find Alvin!"

"And in the car?" I ask

Angela looks down and says, "Because I love you and wanted you to love me back." She looks at me.

I sit there shocked, not just by her words but by her movements. It is as if she were human versus a robot. "You only love me because of a command I gave you," I say in reply.