Sleeping with the Enemy

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I woke up with my arm trapped under Charlie and I gently moved it as I had pins and needles. I lay there listening to his steady rhythmic breathing, and I wondered where this was going. I couldn't get too used to this as I knew I had to go back to my life as a perfume demonstrator and that this would have to be simply a lovely memory.

I drifted off again and woke to find Charlie spooning up behind me with his arm over my hip. I tried to move gently, but he woke up and before I knew it he was rubbing my cock and kissing the back of my neck.

'Mmm. that's wonderful Charlie, but I have to go back to work.'

His reply was to put a finger into my opening and to massage me gently back there. Before long he had two fingers inside and then I felt his cock tapping at me back there. I turned slightly so he could get one leg between mine and he lifted my leg in the air and I felt him slide so easily into me one more time. I leaned around and kissed him as he gently moved in and out until he shuddered and came into me.

We lay there for a while and then Charlie said, 'Please stay.'

I said firmly, 'Charlie, I need to get to work, I need the money.'

He looked startled as if the idea of needing money was an alien concept. Which to be fair, it probably was to him.

'I know,' he said, 'why don't you work for me?'

'Charlie, I'm sure you have lots of openings for people who spray perfume about.'

'No, but I've had a thought, how do you fancy working in an Estate Agency? I've recently bought a chain and I know they need trainees.'

'What? Are you bonkers? I don't know anything about selling houses.'

'No, but you sold me two bottles of perfume when I didn't intend to buy any.'

And thus began my relationship with the man who had the most beautiful soul and the biggest heart of anyone who you will meet in this world or any other.

Charlie was as good as his word, he set me up as a trainee in his new estate agency chain and advanced me money so I could buy some new outfits and gave me an allowance until I was able to start earning. I paid him back the money eventually but I don't think he would ever have asked for it. I seemed to have a flair for the business and was soon running a branch and then the whole chain. It did well, and we were able to open more branches around London.

Charlie one day asked me to interview someone for a job and that's how I met Hugo. I was never sure where Charlie had met Hugo and I didn't ask. He's Irish, gay and the most beautiful man I have ever met. He and I hit it off straightaway, and he became my PA, and in quick succession: my deputy, my BFF and confessor. There isn't a person living who knows more about me than Hugo, good and bad, and he's the only person allowed to call me Livvie.

Did Charlie position Hugo there to keep an eye on me? I was never sure but Hugo never breached a confidence as far as I was concerned and he saw me in a few precarious situations. If Charlie did put him in to keep an eye on me than it was an inspired move.

Charlie wanted me to move into his flat and that led to the only major blow up we ever had. I wanted my independence and much as I loved Charlie I thought moving in was never going to work. If we lived that closely to each other any relationship we had would not last. I'm pretty sure Charlie came very close to calling it all off, however, somehow we worked it out, and I rented a flat from him and I think he was eventually happy with this.

Of course, the initial fire of any new relationship is going to die down after a while and Charlie never asked me to be exclusive. He said he never wanted to own anyone and although I had a few one-night stands over the years, my devotion to Charlie never wavered. I never knew whether Charlie had anything going on. Martha told me she had never seen him so happy as when he was with me. She said his estranged wife, Laura, had been such a bitch that it had marked Charlie for any other relationship. Laura was a Catholic and would not divorce Charlie, instead, Martha said through gritted teeth that she was trying to bleed Charlie dry.

I think Charlie was aware of this and he never talked to me about Laura and I never asked. There were times when he would be very stressed and maybe those were times when Laura got to him. She found out about me and kicked up a hell of a fuss, but in reality there was nothing she could do. When she threatened to let the press know he was seeing me, he told her go ahead, and he would let them know about her drug habit. Martha told me all this over sessions we had with tea and cake. Martha knew all his secrets, but I was the only one she ever talked to and then only ever about things that affected me. I'm pretty sure Laura had me followed by a private detective for a while but I kept my nose clean and nothing came of it. I could spot him a mile off mooching along behind me and he was easy to evade. I hoped he was costing Laura a lot of money because it was a colossal waste of her cash..

I'm sure Laura was the reason Charlie bought the flat for me. I met him at his apartment one night and he was in a strange mood. I knew he had met Laura that day and I could only guess what had brought this on. He put a document on the table and asked me to read it and if I was happy to sign it. It was a Transfer of Title for my rented flat from him to me. I asked him why and he said it was to make sure I was OK and that's all he ever said. I'm pretty sure Laura had tried to get at me again and this was Charlie's way of responding.

A couple of years went by and we were happy together. The sex was great, but he seemed to grow distracted and worried about something. One night in bed he said that when we met I was transitioning and did I still want to do that. I told him I had decided not to transition fully but I wouldn't mind if I had some bigger boobs as a joke. I never found out why he had been so worried but in a short time had paid for me to have some cosmetic work done on my breasts and my nose fixed and a few other things as well.

Did I love Charlie? Yes, but it was more complicated. Charlie wasn't merely my lover, he was the centre of my universe. There was an age difference for sure but we were a match for each other. I kept him happy in bed and the gold diggers away and Charlie helped me understand how to grow and develop myself and to become a better human being. Did Charlie love me? Yes, and in a way which was unmatched in my experience. He loved me completely and without reservation. Don't ask me why, he didn't expect the same in return but I did try my best.

Over the years Charlie also became my mentor; wine, opera, poker, the works of James Joyce, how to negotiate, how to deal with difficult people and much. much more. All these things he gently and patiently taught me. Most importantly he had taught me that love helps you grow as a person and that hate diminishes and destroys you. I wish I had remembered that lesson more clearly.

Two years ago...

Hugo walked into my office and slumped down on the chair in front of my desk.

'What's the matter Hugo? You look awful'

'Livvie, I don't how to tell you this, but Charlie's been in an accident. It was in the car. It's bad I'm afraid. I'm sorry, but he's dead.'

I heard the words, but the meaning didn't penetrate for a few seconds.

'He can't be Hugo, it's not true.'

'Livvie, I am so sorry. He and John were on the way back down the motorway and a fucking drunk driver spun in front of them and they had no chance.'

I heard the blood rush through my ears and my head began to spin. Hugo came around the desk and held me tight as the tears began to flow.

I had lost the man who was not only my lover but my saviour. I owed not merely the material wealth I had as a result of knowing him but he had been my guide and mentor. He had taught me how to love unselfishly and to give yourself to someone completely. There would be a hole in my heart which could never be filled.

Charlie's estranged wife, Laura, did not invite me to the funeral, and I had to sneak into the church at the back to say goodbye to the man who had been my friend, lover, confidante and teacher. I had to wear a veil to prevent Laura seeing me and throwing a fit. It was a beautiful sunny day when Charlie was laid to rest; so fitting for someone who had lit up my world with his life.

Charlie had always promised me that the flat was mine and had made sure it was legally watertight. So when Charlie's solicitor asked me to come in for a meeting I thought it was merely to confirm the details. He started off by saying that the will had been read but Laura was challenging certain bequests..

It sounded ominous, but he moved quickly on to say in his opinion, the will had been written so carefully that there was absolutely no chance of a challenge being successful. I was still puzzled as to what this had me to do with me as he handed me a piece of paper which he said was a copy of the parts of the will which were relevant.

'As you know Olivia, Charles had made over the title to the flat to you and is completely secure. However, he also made additional provisions for you in the will. If you care to read the paper you will find he has bequeathed you the ownership of the Estate Agency business and a sizeable cash sum in addition.'

He paused to let this sink in. I was astonished, Charlie had never said a word about this to me.

'Olivia, Charles was very fond of you and he wanted to make sure that if anything happened to him you would be secure after his death. The Will was drawn up and witnessed six months before his death. Laura is challenging the two bequests to you. However, Charles anticipated this might happen and had put in place certain codicils to the will which would reduce Laura's bequests considerably if she tried to challenge any of the bequests. It may take a few months but I have no doubt that these bequests will be carried through. As the appointed executor of the Estate I will make sure his wishes are carried out.'

I left the office stunned, Charlie had even looked out for me from the grave. God bless you Charlie; I was in convinced that wherever he was, Charlie was making them laugh over a glass of claret. The solicitor was true to his word and a few months later Laura withdrew her challenges and I became owner of Archer Estates and my bank balance suddenly became a lot healthier.

One year ago...

Seeing Sam again had reawakened demons I thought slain long ago. Sam's bullying and outright hatred towards me had caused me endless grief and I hated him for it. Professionally, I felt I could hold it all together but personally I would have to do something to finally be able to move on, but what exactly?

I spent the night trying vainly to work out what to do and as the light broke through the curtains I still had no idea. I dragged myself into work the next day and managed to get through the morning without firing anyone just for making a noise. They all realised something was wrong and kept well out of my way. Even Hugo reined back his natural instinct to wind me up.

At lunchtime, Hugo appeared in my office door with something behind his back.

'What do you want, Hugo?' I frowned to give him warning this had better be important.

'Livvie, this might cheer you up.'

He produced a bunch of flowers from behind his back and laid them on my desk.

'These aren't from you, are they?' I said, my frown still firmly in place.

'God, no.'

I opened the card which had come with the flowers.

'To Olivia, I am so glad to be working with you, Sam'

To Hugo's open mouthed astonishment I picked up the flowers and threw them in the bin.

'What have you done that for?'

I looked up and Hugo actually took a step back at the look on my face.

'They're from Sam Chadwick.'

'Oh.'

I was about to lose it completely when Hugo stepped round the desk and laid his hand on my shoulder.

'Look, even if you have to suck it up, you need to be professional about this. It's business Livvie, get your own back on him somehow. Use what you've got to do it if you must. That's what Charlie would have said.'

That made me pause, maybe there are ways after all I could get back at him.

Hugo picked up the flowers from the bin.

'I'm going to put these in a vase and I suggest you call Sam now to thank him for the flowers and play nice with him.'

I glared at Hugo but knew he was right. I called Sam and he answered straight away.

'Sam,' I said, with as much professional warmth as I could muster, 'Thank you so much for the flowers, they are lovely, but you shouldn't have.'

'Olivia, I wanted to say how nice it was so nice to meet you yesterday and I hope we have a successful project together.'

'I'm sure we will Sam, I will keep on top of this for you.'

'Thanks, Olivia. Oh, by the way, do you like Opera? The Bank has a box at the Royal Opera House and I have a spare ticket for Saturday night. I wondered if you would like to come as my guest?'

What the fuck, I thought.

'Sam, that's very generous of you. Let me check my schedule and get back to you. Is that OK?'

'Sure thing, Olivia.' He sounded disappointed. 'I will wait for your call.'

I slammed the phone down which brought Hugo back into the room. He must have been listening outside the door.

'That went well then.'

'He only wants me to go to the fucking opera with him.'

Hugo's eyebrows raised in surprise.

'Language darling. Are you sure he doesn't know who you are?'

'Yes, I'm sure. He thinks he's met me somewhere but men always say that.'

'Then what's the problem? You love the opera.'

Charlie had introduced me to opera, and I had fallen in love with the whole over the top emotional roller coaster ride an opera throws at you.

'Are you mad? I don't want to spend the evening with Sam fucking Chadwick. I would rather swim naked in a tank with a great white shark.'

'Interesting analogy. Listen, keep it business, you never know, you might find out something about him you can use. He doesn't know who you are, use that to your advantage. If nothing else, you get a night at the opera.'

Hugo for once was the voice of sweet reason. I still don't know why I did it but I picked up the phone and dialled Sam back.

'Sam? I would love to come along on Saturday if that's OK?'

'Olivia, that's wonderful. I'll email you the details. See you Saturday. I'm looking forward to it already.' He sounded genuinely pleased. I know for sure though how easily sincerity can be faked.

'Hugo.' I yelled.

'You called milady.' He must have been outside the door again.

'Don't keep hanging around outside my door, and if this goes tits up I will blame you.'

Saturday night rolled around, and I went all out for it; the afternoon in the hairdressers with a full makeup, manicure and pedicure to follow. Why? If I was going to meet my nemesis I was going to make sure I was in full battle mode. Contrary to perceptions there is no formal dress code at the Opera and I had checked with Sam and it wasn't a formal event for the bank. I picked out a sleeveless midi length white cocktail dress with contrasting antique black lace bodice. Paired with strappy shoes and a shawl, it was classy but not too showy.

The taxi got stuck in the Saturday evening theatreland traffic so I was a little late and Sam was outside the Opera House, seeming a little anxious as he looked for me. He caught sight of me and I could swear there was a look of genuine pleasure on his face as he saw me.

We had to go straight in as I had been late but we had time for a drink in the small bar at the back of the box with the other guests, and then the performance began. Turandot is one of my favourite operas and Nessun Dorma never fails to raise goosebumps as the final 'vincero' rings out around the theatre.

It was a lovely performance and Sam asked if I could stay for a drink after the performance. He had so far been a perfect host, attentive, friendly and that charm of his was never far away and, of course, he was very easy on the eye.

I had even forgotten for a few seconds that he was the enemy. The other guests drifted away leaving Sam and I having a last drink.

'Sam, thank you for the invitation, I have really enjoyed myself.' It had the benefit of being partly true.

'Olivia, I'm glad you came, you have been charming company, far nicer than my usual dreary corporate clients. Would I be out of order if I asked you a personal question?'

Woosh, my defences went straight up at this.

'Well, you can ask, but allow me not to answer if it will incriminate me.'

He laughed, 'Fair enough, Olivia. I wanted to ask if you were involved with anyone at the moment.'

Wow, where did that come from?

Something must have shown on my face because he jumped right in.

'I'm sorry I shouldn't have been so intrusive, please forgive me.'

'No, no, it's alright, you caught me by surprise, that's all.' This had taken a slightly bizarre turn, and I wondered where this was going. 'No, I'm not seeing anyone at the moment, why do you ask?'

'Well, I wondered if that were the case might I see you again?'

Oh my God, what have I got myself into?

He sensed my bewilderment.

'Is it about not mixing business and personal things? I'm sorry I shouldn't have asked.'

'Sam, It's true I don't normally see clients out of the office...'

'Olivia, it's fine, I understand. I really do. I hope this won't spoil things between us.'

'Sam, no, it's fine honestly.'

So, the evening ended awkwardly, and we went our separate ways, me with my head spinning about what had happened here. Sam Chadwick wanted to date me. The ridiculous irony of the situation made me laugh out loud, and the cabbie asked, 'Everything alright, Miss?'

The next day Hugo met me for breakfast across from the Agency and demanded a full report, so I told him what had happened and he sat back with a low whistle.

'What are you going to do?'

'No idea, Hugo, keep it business as you said I think.'

What I didn't tell Hugo was an idea had seeped into my brain somewhere in the dark reaches of the night and I needed some time to finesse it.

I did as promised and kept on top of Sam's search for a flat. We found several possibilities, but it took a few months to find something he liked and for the purchase to complete. I had kept Sam up to date on the phone regularly and it was all handled professionally.

The morning the purchase was completed a bottle of Krug champagne was delivered to the office addressed to me. It was from Sam and the card read 'Olivia, thanks for everything. Enjoy this on me. Sam.'

Hugo leant against the doorframe and watched as I twisted the card in my fingers.

'All over now, Livvie?'

'It will never be all over, Hugo.'

He shrugged as if to say, Move on, life's too short. Well, it wasn't for me.

Out of Hugo's earshot I phoned Sam.

'Sam, thanks for the champagne, it's too much, we were only doing our job.'

'Olivia, you did a great job finding me the flat. It's perfect and the decorators are in today to start the renovation.'

'That's great, Sam. I'd love to see it when it's finished.'

'You would? It's a deal.'

I took a deep breath, 'By the way Sam, we wouldn't be mixing business and personal now.'

There was a silence at the other end as he worked out what I was saying.

'Do you mean you would see me again?'

'If you still want me to, Sam, yes.'

'Oh wow, that's great Olivia. How about dinner tomorrow to celebrate the new flat?'

'Sounds fine Sam. Let me know where and when.'

So began my plan to balance the books with Sam Chadwick.

We saw each other a few times; dinners, cinema, and a couple of corporate junkets Sam invited me to. Sam was actually good company, and it was undoubtedly enjoyable to be seen out with such a good looking man. He was eye candy for the ladies and I was loving the jealous looks I got when we were out together. On the surface it was all very civilised but there was a fire burning in me I had to keep stoked if I was going to get revenge on my enemy.