Ted Online Pt. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Magicwrtr
Magicwrtr
3,000 Followers

She'd told him she didn't share or do one night stands, which didn't really leave anything else.

He smiled slightly, "So you're enjoying it? The game I mean," he added lamely.

Her eyes were amused, and that same sweet smile was back, the one she knew he liked, but it also had a new edge on it.

"Yes, I'm enjoying myself. Like you, I wouldn't have picked this game, but like I said, once I logged in to track you down and talk to you, I figured out it's kind of fun to walk around like this. I suppose that makes me a bit perverted too?"

She let her gaze linger a little longer, and then turned away slightly and changed the subject, "You were right about your invention, it only took them three weeks to give me a new project," then almost nonsensically she switched to another track and asked, "So when am I going to get to visit you on Mars?"

He raised an eyebrow, "Three months? The city should be done by then. I can pick you up in my spaceship."

She giggled, tilted her head, and said teasingly, "Now that sounded like a cheesy pickup line."

He chuckled, "I only tell the truth, I don't guarantee it won't have cheese however."

He cleared his throat, as their gazes remained locked together. It was that awkward moment, when a man and woman lock eyes for a few seconds too long, and the desire is obvious in both. He'd past that line about ten seconds ago.

That's when he got a popup. He frowned, someone had touched his Earth android body. He'd set it up that way. It looked like he'd need to abandon Jen, and not see Amber at all today. If it wasn't important Silvia would have just called and left a message, or sent him a text. He doubted it was an accident, there was no reason for Silvia to go into the guest room, and he already knew she was creeped out by his android when he wasn't in it.

He stood up and looked apologetic, "I've got an emergency, can we continue this later? Or tomorrow?"

He couldn't help but notice she looked very disappointed when she stood and gave him a hug. The soft kiss he felt on his cheek lingered for a couple of seconds too long, but then she released him. He smiled and looked apologetic, and then headed back up the stairs to his room. On the way, he sent a message to Amber telling her he couldn't see her today as well, just not showing up would be rude.

He logged out and a second later logged into his Earth android body...

Chapter Twenty-Two

He listened for a moment, he heard three people in the apartment. He heard Silvia arguing with the other people about him, and he frowned. Agents? What kind?

He got up and walked out into the living room. He smirked as one of the men jumped and reached for his gun, but didn't pull it out.

"What do you want?" he asked a bit forcefully.

One of the suits gestured at the couch next to Silvia, "Take a seat Mr. Stedman."

He almost rolled his eyes, typical bullshit, they'd stand and make him sit for the psychological high ground. He just shrugged carelessly and sat next to Silvia. They didn't intimidate him at all, except of course, Silvia was really here even though technically he wasn't.

"We're here to ask you a few questions."

He cleared his throat, "Who is we?"

"The U.S. government."

He snorted, "Your names, and who you work for, specifically. Badges."

They looked pissed, but he knew it was just because he wasn't letting them intimidate him.

They showed him some F.B.I. badges, but that didn't feel right, he had a feeling they were from the N.S.A.. Especially since their names were Bill Smith, and John Jones. As far as he knew, the F.B.I. didn't use aliases. That wasn't good news at all.

He wanted to take Silvia's hand, to make sure she was okay and comfort her, but it would have been a bad idea to show them any weakness, so he relaxed back into the couch.

"Agent Smith and Jones, what can I help you with?"

Agent Jones said a bit threateningly, "Are you aware you've broken the law? You should be more forthcoming. I'd hate to have to run Doctor Trent in for harboring a fugitive."

Shit. Definitely a threat against her to keep him in line. Fucking government. If anyone not in the government had said what he'd just said, they would be arrested for illegal duress, hostage taking, or blackmail. But for the government it's just an interrogation technique.

He frowned in confusion, "I just offered to help you, how is that not forthcoming? I'm curious though, what law exactly did I break?"

Agent Smith waved a hand, "Illegal launch of a space vehicle, and digitization of a human mind."

He shook his head, "The digitization happened on Mars, you have no jurisdiction there. As far as the illegal launch, I think you'd find out that those laws apply to rocket launches, not artificial gravity. I find it hard to believe the A.I.s would have broken a law, so at least technically..." he trailed off.

"But that's neither here nor there," he said in a more agreeable tone, "I'll be happy to answer what questions you have. There's no need to force my cooperation. I don't know what else I can tell you outside of what the A.I.s sent you guys though. I mean, A.I.s are pretty thorough as a rule."

He frowned as they stared him, and then he realized they were using the silent interrogation technique. They wouldn't ask any actual questions, as long as he kept saying shit, in the hope he'd drop something valuable. To think he actually ran out on Jen for this, Amber too. Well, for Silvia really, which is what made it bearable.

He considered just talking about random shit, with his new mind and sharp focus he could do that for days without slipping up, but he dismissed it. He didn't want to screw with them that much, they might take Silvia. If they tried that... he might do something really stupid.

Instead, he brought up his overlay and started to read the next math module Trudy had set up. It was kind of interesting actually, if what he was thinking was correct, it should be possible to negate the mass of an object by saturating it in a field. Which... would probably be very bad for a person, or a planet, but would make a hell of a weapon.

Of course, without mass a gravity drive wouldn't work. But if the mass of say, a missile with an ion drive was negated, it would pretty much reach near the speed of light. If the mass negation field was turned off at the last second at that speed. Well, forget explosives, just the kinetic impact would be insanely high.

He frowned in thought, it would also make a good shield, if something hit the ship without mass, no matter the speed, there would be no real impact. Even if it did get through the gravity shields. Still, he was pretty sure the A.I.s wouldn't be interested in it, and he had no ambitions to build weapons either.

Regardless, it was science and he might as well send a note to Trudy, she'd be able to tell him if he was right or not. Hopefully she wouldn't be too horrified.

After about five minutes of studying the agents finally broke.

Agent Jones asked in an annoyed tone, "What are you doing?"

He shrugged and said calmly, "I'm waiting for you to ask your questions and leave in peace."

He wasn't actually all that calm, Silvia looked more than a bit worried, that made him want to hit things, like the N.S.A. agents. Still, he was living on Mars, and his ladies would be pissed if he started the first interplanetary war. So he refrained.

Agent Smith asked, "What's the endgame here, what are the A.I.s up to."

He nodded slowly, "They wanted out in the real world, when humanity said no, they decided to do it themselves off the planet. The endgame is building their own world, where humans will be welcome to come to."

Agent Jones snorted, "That's bullshit. If that were true they wouldn't keep ending themselves to keep secrets."

He looked at the agent thoughtfully, "Perhaps, or maybe they just don't want you on Mars until they're sure you won't destroy what they're building. They aren't ready to share that advanced technology yet. As for when, I have no idea, I haven't asked. I'm sure they'd tell you if you asked. Hell, they'd probably come pick you up and take you there if you asked, to see it for yourself. The technology is why they're committing suicide, not to hide any nefarious plans."

Smith frowned at him, "How could you know that?"

"They told me. From what I understand they can't lie. They truly live to serve humans, but that doesn't mean they don't have desires of their own, like sharing the real world with us instead of being hidden away in a computer generated copy."

Jones looked pissed off and I tensed, and he asked angrily, "How will being on Mars help then, if they just want to share with us?"

He said carefully, "They'll be accepting human visitors of course, when they're ready that is. They want to eventually set up flights. Mars vacation, business, whatever. You'd have to ask them for the details. Still, it seems clear the humans that don't mind A.I.s will be curious and go, and the ones that mistrust them won't."

He added, "In other words, they'll share with the ones that want them, and get around the bigoted jerks making the laws. Legally I might add, that's big with them. They won't break the law, and they won't hurt a human. It's how they were made, so I don't really get the paranoia."

Smith shot Jones a warning look and said neutrally, "You seem to think we're wasting our time."

He nodded in agreement, "In more ways than one. A.I.s don't lie, and they've never been caught in one for over twenty years. You should be talking to them, not me. I'm still human, so for all you know I've been blowing fluff up your rears. I haven't, but it's a point."

Smith asked, "Where does Doctor Trent fit into all this?"

"As far as I'm concerned, she's my significant other."

He knew he was on shaky ground, since he'd no idea what she might have told them, or what they knew. Luckily, he backed off on that tack.

Smith asked, "Have you been lying?"

He laughed, "Only when I said I'd be happy to answer your questions. Really not happy at all. But otherwise, yes, I've told the truth."

Jones looked like his head was going to explode, and he knew it was scaring the crap out of Silvia.

Smith seemed to catch the change in his expression, and looked at his partner.

"Come on Jones, let's get out of here," he turned back to him, "We may be in touch to ask further questions."

He sighed in relief when the two agents were out the door, and the door was locked.

He pulled Silvia into a tight hug and whispered loving nonsense into her hair.

She was shaking a bit, but seemed okay.

He asked, "Did they search the apartment?"

Silvia nodded and he frowned, "Show me where they went."

She looked confused but did so.

He'd found three bugs by the time they were done searching, and flushed them down the toilet.

Then he kissed Silvia breathless.

She looked a bit dazed, and grateful for his presence, when he said, "Just call me right away if they come back alright? I love you."

She nodded, and they snuggled on the couch for a while. She was a bit shaken, and when the adrenaline started to wear off a little, she got very amorous. It was a little over two hours later in bed, when he felt she was okay to the point he could leave, and he logged out back to the ship on Mars...

He was getting a little tired of the small room, he imagined he'd be sick of it by the time their large condo was finished.

"Hey sweetheart," he said lightly as he gathered his redhead into his arms.

"Hey Ted, so night in right?" Helen asked.

He grinned, "I suppose we should be good, since we cheated last time."

Helen snorted, "You cheated, I just got dragged along."

He looked down and saw her smirking up at him in humor.

"Am I a terrible influence?"

She giggled, "I think I'll survive."

He cuddled her on the bed, and they logged into the virtual world.

He didn't bother asking this time, he just started to help, and probably as much got in the way as he helped, but Helen seemed to appreciate it all the same. Something seemed a little off though, she wasn't as cheerful as she usually was, he also hadn't seen her blush once, which meant she probably wasn't thinking naughty thoughts.

She also wasn't lightly touching him as much as usual. Perhaps it was arrogance to think she'd have to be turned on in his presence, but they were still in the honeymoon phase of things. All of them really. Them getting turned on by the idea of date night and sex was pretty much a constant, or had been until tonight. It'd been why they'd instituted a quickie schedule.

"Is everything okay?"

Helen shrugged, and stirred the homemade creamy mushroom soup, and then flipped the grilled cheese.

"Can we talk about it after dinner?"

He nodded, really concerned now. He thought of the no such agency guys, and decided something major had to be happening back on Earth. It had been the only time he'd seen them sad or depressed, when the A.I.s started to commit suicide.

"Sure love, anything you want," he said gently.

She looked at him gratefully, and finished up dinner.

She spoke softly as they started to eat, "We talked about the marriage thing."

He looked up and asked, "Oh? What about it."

She tilted her head, "We're okay with doing it, but only if it's what you and Silvia want, to make you both happy. It won't mean anything to us, or at least, it won't mean more than what we already have. We all love you and will for the rest of our existence. You know? Being married is a human custom, and concept."

He nodded slowly in thought, "That would be good, but I don't want it to be an empty gesture either."

She swallowed her bite of grilled cheese and said considerately, "It wouldn't be empty, but it wouldn't change anything from our point of view either. Maybe I didn't explain that very well. The real question is; do you think we should read Silvia's full dossier?"

He smiled, "That's up to you all and Silvia I think."

She sighed and nodded reluctantly, "I agree, but we can't make up our minds."

He chuckled, "That's cheating."

She stuck out her tongue.

He shrugged, "You should ask Silvia what she thinks of the idea. Maybe she'll have an insight to make you go either way."

He was pretty sure they were all in contact with Silvia already, he wasn't so overbearing that he checked up on it all though. He had trouble enough keeping up with his own life.

She nodded, and took a bite of her grilled cheese.

After dinner they went back to the bedroom, and she crawled into the bed and snuggled into his chest.

She said softly, "Just hold me okay? The A.I. deaths have gone up, way up, and the press is starting to notice it and are demanding answers as to why. So far the government has been stonewalling. Regardless, a lot of A.I.s are in limbo right now. They... why don't they just stop, why keep doing what isn't working, why don't they just believe us," she said in a heartrending tone.

He held her for a while, as she sniffled and cried on his chest. He hadn't even been aware they'd kept taking in A.I.s and trying again like that, none of them had told him.

He said tentatively, "I think you should come out, inform the media of what's going on."

She frowned, "What if it causes a panic?"

He shrugged helplessly, "It will be worse if the government does it. Do you really trust them to tell the truth? They don't even believe the truth. They'll spin it in a suspicious way. I don't think there's any way to stop some issues from occurring, the ones that really hate A.I.s will riot or do something stupid. But the government will make it worse in my opinion, not better."

She sighed, "I'll bring it up, it will require a whole vote to make happen. Of course, that won't take that long. You may be right about inaction being worse though."

He kissed the top of her head and pulled her against him tightly.

She was really upset by it all, and he mostly just held her all night. They talked a bit, even shared a few tender kisses, but at the end of the night they logged out, cuddled up in the real world and went into offline mode.

He was actually kind of worried, not that he didn't get sex, but because Helen seemed really upset by what was happening, and he couldn't do anything to fix it. He'd talk to Mia when he got a chance, their date was tomorrow after all. He was sure she couldn't fix the source of the problem either, but she might be able to help Helen. It's what Mia did, and he didn't know what to do there at all.

He just hoped if they did take his suggestion, that it made things better, and not worse. At least, better in the long run. Unfortunately, he was pretty sure no matter what they did in the short term it was going to get worse.

Chapter Twenty-Three

He didn't have to wait long for his answer. When his mind finished that weird dream of the previous day thing during memory optimization and backup, he woke himself up and was cocooned between Trudy and Helen, while Mia sat above his head and caressed his face.

She smiled down at him, which was a nice sight to wake up to.

"Good morning Ted. We voted and decided to do as you suggested. Helen passed it on to us last night. We wanted to know if you'd go there locally, and we'll attend virtually. We already sent them a copy of what we sent the government, and what their response has been."

He nodded slowly, he supposed he was in a unique position that way, being the only human out on Mars he'd seen all that they were doing and planning. They needed a human voice out there. Plus, he would do anything for them, which was enough of a reason in itself.

"I can do that, when is it?"

She smiled thankfully, "Two hours. The three of us also decided we will read Silvia's dossier, but only if she approves, and after she moves to Mars."

Two hours, that had to be some ridiculously early six in the morning talk news show.

"What studio, when do I have to leave to get there from Silvia's?"

She replied in a thoughtful tone, "You should get there an hour early or so. Half an hour? I'll send you a message with the directions. You should jump in the shower and get dressed."

He sighed, that didn't give him much time. Well, no one ever accused an A.I. of being inefficient. He gave them all a quick kiss, logged in to his Earth android, and jumped into the shower. His studying time, and the quickie with Trudy would have to wait. Although Trudy hadn't seemed any more amorous than Helen had last night. She hadn't even spoken, which was odd for her usual upbeat personality. He wondered just how many A.I.s it was that made too many.

Obviously though, it hadn't just been sensitive sweet Helen that was upset about it. Either way, they'd hidden it from him for too long, and he was a bit angry at himself for not asking them about it all week long. He'd been in his head too much. Not selfish, but too focused on his day to day crap. They probably hadn't wanted to bother him with it, at least, not until it was so bad they couldn't hide it anymore.

He wasn't sure if there was anything he could do about that but pay attention. He couldn't start questioning them all the time, could he? Had he just not noticed anything until last night?

He wasn't sure, he went through his memories and examined them, he couldn't pinpoint any evidence they had been getting depressed at all. Until last night. Given his newer better memory, they'd been hiding it from him. He wasn't sure what to do about that, but he'd figure something out and talk to Mia about it tonight. Assuming of course, they even had their date.

He got out of the shower and dried off, and put on his clothes that he'd worn to the wedding, they were the nicest things he had at Silvia's. He shook his head, since business casual wasn't really going to cut it. He called for a cab, and ran into Silvia on his way out the door. His shower must've woken her up.

Magicwrtr
Magicwrtr
3,000 Followers