Ten Days in the Country Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Condoms. Not fair.

She looked up toward the ceiling thinking this was some sort of joke. Picking up the container, she stuffed the small packets back in with a grim determination that just as quickly began to wane as she looked into the mirror. Her face looked so refreshed and colourful from having spent so much time outdoors. It was only her eyes that seemed intense and troubled. She stared hard, the background behind her disappearing into the mirror. Her eyes shifted suddenly when the image of a tall bare-chested man with a sharp smile filled the room behind her for a flickering second.

Slowly Nicola replaced the lid. She walked into the bedroom in silence and put the container into the drawer of the night table. She slammed the drawer shut before walking back to the kitchen.

DAY 5

David was eager to get up to the cottage that day. He had quickly went through his other jobs in the morning and was headed up the winding trail to Kara's at just about 2 o'clock. He was anxious the whole day before, trying to speed up his trip to Kilona, maybe giving him a chance to see Nicola before the end of the day. By midday he knew it would be impossible and he resigned himself to focusing on the job. But that proved to be difficult as well.

She was on his mind constantly now. He knew he didn't just want to see her. He wanted to be with her. Those thoughts made him anxious and preoccupied him as he tried to do his work.

It didn't matter. Right now he just needed to see her, ease those butterflies flitting in his stomach. The anticipation spurred him on and he pressed down on the accelerator of his truck, churning up dirt as it pulled its way up the hill.

David's smile broadened as he pulled up into the clearing and spotted her jeep. He stepped out of the truck and quickly made his way to the door.

Nicola met him as she came out wearing her sunglasses and carrying her purse. David's spirits dropped a bit, realizing she was just heading out.

"Hey, David!" she said with her big smile.

"Hi Nicola. Going out?"

"Um, yeah. I have to get some groceries." She paused, stopping short of telling him about having Eric over for dinner.

They stood on the porch, both stealing a silent moment to think.

"Well, uh, I'm sorry I didn't come by yesterday," he finally said, "But I've got time today so I can work a bit longer around here this afternoon."

"That's great," she nodded. "Will you be finishing off that tree?"

He looked back at the scarred tree hanging over the edge of the slope and said, "Actually I lent my chopping tools to someone. I thought I'd work on the cottage's drainage pipe.

Nicola winced, "Ooh, I hope that's not going to be messy work for you."

David shook his head and chuckled.

Suddenly clapped her hands together. "Look, I have to run but I'll leave the door open. You can go in and help yourself to whatever you want," she said as she walked past him and towards her car. "There's not much but have at it!"

He hesitated and then held out a hand and called to her, "Wait! Where are you headed? Want a lift?"

Nicola turned as she opened the jeep's door. "Oh no, that's alright," she said, "But actually, can you tell me where's a good place to get some groceries?"

David thought for a moment and replied, "Well, there's Mandy's..."

Great. The General Store. More canned and boxed food, she thought to herself, dejected. She looked up at him anxiously and said, "That's it? Is there any place to get some fresh meat or fish?"

"Mr.Winters sells chickens from his coop just about 5 miles down the road."

"Live chickens?" she remarked, incredulous.

"He can pluck it for you, if you want," David noted, then shrugged and added, "Or you can bring it back here and I can do it for you."

Nicola's mouth dropped. Her stomach was already performing somersaults today. She didn't need the guilt of watching a poor chicken being hacked up for her sake right now.

"Mandy's it is!" she said bluntly as she climbed into her jeep. "I'll be back soon!"

She waved as she drove off leaving David still standing on the porch. He hadn't mentioned the regional grocery store about 20 minutes away. He was hoping she'd come back soon.

"Well that was pretty rude," Nicola scolded herself as she pulled onto the main road. She realized it felt like she had just blown off David.

She shook her head. What was she thinking? She didn't brush him off. She said hello. She was polite. She was in a hurry.

Of course, she still didn't know why she hadn't told him what she had been up to the day before or her plans for the evening. She did sense that he was kind of taken with her, which was really flattering. In the city, he'd probably have a gaggle of girls in his little black book. Hell, if she even thought for a moment that she was interested in him in that way, she'd probably be all over him as well, the ten year age difference not a factor at all.

What the hell was she thinking?

She was already meeting with Eric tonight for -- something.

"God! Eric!" she exclaimed, gripping the wheel and staring off down the road.

She was a mess last night trying to get some sleep. Each time she dozed off, she would immediately wake up again, always facing that stupid night stand, knowing what was in the drawer and wondering what exactly she thought she was going to do with the condoms. At one point, she took them out and held one up in the darkness as she lay on the pillow. In the edgings of the little square packet, she made out the shape of a small smooth circle. As she lowered it to her side, a vivid image suddenly came to mind. Between her and the ceiling was Eric, his hard edged face lying above her, his ample frame moving on top of her, a satisfied smile wrapped along his teeth.

"Welcome to Dorrits," his voice rumbled, his smile sharpening, "Sunshine."

The thought yanked Nicola from her pillow. Scooping up the condoms, she marched to the bathroom and dumped them in the toilet. But even as she flushed she realized that wasn't the smartest thing and she immediately reached in and fished out a few packets before the rest were sucked down the drain.

That would have been perfect if David should have happened to find those in the drainage system.

She had reluctantly returned the salvaged condoms to the night stand drawer.

Later. All thoughts for later. Right now, she needed groceries.

************

Nicola was happy to see that David hadn't left yet when she returned. She had taken longer than she thought she would. She had stopped at the Falcon's Claw to see if she could buy a bottle of wine from Caron. She ended up sneaking in a glass of courage at the behest of the neighbourly barkeep who said that she looked like she could use a drink.

It helped settle her a bit.

Still, though she was glad to see him, inwardly, as she checked her watch, she hoped he wouldn't stay for too long this evening. She winced again, dumfounded with the way she was behaving.

David had come around from the other side of the cottage when he heard the jeep pull up. He saw her pulling out a couple of bags.

"Hey, I'll get those for you," he said as he ran over.

"Thanks. There's only two bags," she said. Her cheeks were a bit flushed but she hoped he hadn't noticed. "Guess what? I got chicken!"

David frowned and asked, "Did you go to Winters'?"

Nicola waved her hands and fluttered her lips. She pulled out two packages of frozen chicken from the bags. "Mandy's had a special delivery this morning, thank god!"

As they made their way to the cottage she asked, "How was the drainage pipe?"

"No problem," he replied. He made no mention of finding anything peculiar.

Unpacking the groceries onto the counter, David observed, "Quite a bit of chow." He perked up a bit, "You planning on staying a bit longer?"

Nicola turned and faced him. Without blinking she replied, "No. No, I'm just stocking the pantry a bit for Kara."

David nodded silently. They picked up a couple of cans each. He started to talk, "Still it's too bad you're not going to stay-"

"Oh, shit!" Nicola broke in, thumping her hands onto the counter, "I forgot Kara's mail again!"

"You want me to get it for you?" David said quickly turning to the door.

She grabbed him by the arm and sighed, "No, geez. I'm not going to ask you to do that, David."

"I don't mind," he said.

"Yes, I know," she said appreciatively, "But I'm not going to let you. Just sit down there on the couch and take a breather. Let me get you a drink or something."

They exchanged warm smiles.

They talked for about an hour. Nicola actually started cooking before she joined him on the couch. Whatever she was making smelled good. David quietly hoped she was planning on asking him to stay for dinner. He wished hard. He noted that she was a bit anxious. She hid it well, but he was watching her closely.

Nicola noticed him looking at her intently. His gentle and focused green eyes unnerved her. He was indeed a very handsome young man. She worried about how transparent she was becoming to those eyes.

By the end of the hour, Nicola was becoming more fidgety. It pained him to do so, but he figured he would let her get some dinner -she wasn't going to ask him to stay- and some rest.

The moment he stood up, she did too.

"You're sure you don't want another drink?" she asked, a little too politely.

"Naw, I did quite a bit today," he stretched and yawned, "I should go."

She walked with him out to his truck. She patted him on the back as he climbed in. It felt like a Hallmark moment where the man gets a good-bye kiss from his sweetheart.

That wasn't happening right now.

David said he'd be back the next day as usual then drove away. Even before his truck dipped down the ridge of the trail Nicola was scurrying back to the cottage.

As David veered around a curve on the main road, he glanced at his rear view mirror. He wasn't quite sure, but he thought he saw an old banged up jeep turning up the trail to the cottage.

*************

Nicola heard the rap on the screen door just as she slipped on a white T-shirt in her bedroom.

"Be there in a sec!" she called out. She fixed her hair with her hands and then grabbed a red sweater before heading to the front.

A large figure filled the view just behind the screen door. He was cast in silhouette by the waning sunlight from behind. She could still make out his big smile and eyes, though.

She pulled on the sweater and fixed her hair again. As she opened the door, she hoped her smile appeared half as relaxed as his was.

"Hi! Come on in," she said waving him in.

"Too late for lunch?" he chided as he strolled past her.

She shivered as she closed the door. "Boy it gets chilly fast around here."

He pivoted smoothly on his foot, "Well, we'll just have to warm it up in here a bit."

She looked up at him.

With a flick of his wrist, he pulled some flowers out from under his jacket. "For the woman of the house."

"Wow! Wildflowers!" she cooed, "They're gorgeous."

"Smell nice, too," he said, "Take some of the petals and roll around in them on your bed at night. You'll wake up smelling like a meadow."

Nicola arched her brow as she looked up from the flowers. She couldn't tell if Eric was being overt, just skirting innuendo, or making natural small talk. It was typical of her confusion over the man.

She managed to compose herself. Sniffing the air she said, "Well somebody certainly smells fresh!"

"My own special blend musk," he said holding his hands out to his side. "Am I dressed appropriately as well?"

Wearing some well-fitting jeans like herself and a blue turtle-neck sweater, form-fitting around his muscles Nicola noted, he looked very good for a "mountain-man". Even his mousey coloured hair looked casually groomed.

"You look fine," she replied thoughtfully. He looked great.

The big man pretended to tip an imaginary cap. Nicola cleared her throat and brushed her hair back around her ear. Eric immediately reached up, too quick for her to flinch, and carefully teased the hair back over her ear.

"Looks better this way," he said in a husky voice.

They stared at each other. Nicola cleared her throat and said, "I-I'll go get the food ready."

Stepping around the man, she walked towards the kitchen, She glanced back. Eric was still facing the door, standing straight and tall.

She couldn't stop herself from looking anxiously towards the bedroom door as she turned into the kitchen.

*************

Before dinner, she put out a small tray of appetizers. Nothing special. Just some sliced salmon and cream cheese on melba toast squares. She held the tray as he carefully selected one and began to nibble it slowly.

Nicola giggled as she watched him.

"What?" he said as he swallowed.

"I don't know. You're just acting so," she paused, "Dainty!"

He tilted his head and smirked, "You know how this stuff can stain my clothes and fingers?"

Nicola laughed and said, "Bumpkin!"

"City folk," he said shaking his head also laughing.

Dinner was very casual. They talked as they ate leisurely. Eric ate everything on his plate. Nicola couldn't finish hers and several times during the meal, she simply sipped her wine and observed the man sitting across the small table from her.

"I'm sorry. I didn't cook enough, did I?"

Eric shook his head as he swallowed and wiped his lips with the napkin. He leaned back, looking thoroughly satisfied and said, "No. This was great. Been awhile since someone made me a home cooked meal."

She thanked him, crossing her arms on the table and leaning forward a bit.

"Besides," he went on, "I always leave room for dessert."

Nicola didn't move, but her smile dipped ever so slightly. She didn't want to tell him that she hadn't made dessert, and not because he might be disappointed that there was no pie or cake in the cottage. She knew when she was open to a line. Even the way she was feeling, God help her, she wasn't going to just leave the door wide open.

"Coffee?" she offered instead.

"Actually," Eric replied as he reached for the bottle of wine, "This will do just fine."

She brightened a little. "Alright, how about you go into the living room and get the fireplace going and I'll put away the dishes."

Still holding the bottle, he stood up from the table and held out his hand to her. "How about this," he suggested, "You just leave the dishes on the table, go over to the couch, let me serve you some wine, and I'll get that fireplace going really good."

Without another word, as she looked up into his gentle gaze, she took his hand. She stood up and let him lead her to the couch.

************

Eric looked over to her as he crouched down and stoked the fire. Curled up with her teeth underneath her, she quietly ran her finger around the rim of her glass as she watched him. The light from the flames cast a glow around her, shadows dancing across her face. She was so fine. She smiled and he nodded, turning back to the fire.

He could tell a few times tonight that she had hesitated or was slightly taken aback by his advances. But she never showed signs of being upset or repulsed. If anything, she was very relaxed and at ease just now.

Eric didn't want to blow it by pushing too hard. It had taken a lot on his part to mend fences with her. He wanted her to trust him. He needed that trust because he wanted her. He had no doubts that she was piqued by him, attracted to him. It was up to him to cajole those impulses that he could see were brimming within her. Watching the flames entwine and writhe together in their own courting dance, he inhaled the warmth then stood up from the fire.

"How's that?" he asked her.

Nicola tilted her head. "A man of many talents."

"Can't deny that," he said as he sat down beside her on the couch. He draped his arm across the back of the couch, his hand within touching distance of her shoulder. They both took long sips from their glasses and continued to do so until the bottle of wine was empty. Nicola could feel the warmth fill her. Again they talked, growing more familiar with one another as the minutes passed. Nicola liked how the "loner" was opening up to her. She couldn't take her eyes off of him and she was slowly leaning in closer and closer to him without even realizing it.

"So the base of the tree whips up in the air andWHAM" Eric concluded his story by pushing his palm up against the bridge of his nose. "Busted."

Nicola cupped her hand to her face and winced.

"Not too bad though," he said turning his face to profile his nose.

She chuckled and examined the disjointed nose. "Not too bad. It suits you," she remarked then added, "I mean look at this."

Eric watched her point to her own bridge. "Look at what?" he asked.

She touched her nose. "The bridge between my eyes is kind of high. Makes my eyes look close together when I turn my head like this."

Eric squinted, then leaned in close. Nicola leaned back slightly. He examined her nose like a doctor, his breath blowing across her lips. She was frozen, inhaling his musk, seeing every crease and edge on his face up close.

"Looks fine to me," he said with a rough whisper. His eyes lowered then raised, scanning her body, "Looks beautiful to tell you the truth."

It was time to ignite those impulses, he was thinking.

Nicola's mouth dropped open and she turned her head away momentarily. When she looked back, his face was still there. He was so close. She swallowed even though her mouth was dry.

They stared at other silently. Even when the clock on the mantle chimed, they didn't pull their eyes off of one another.

"It's 9 o'clock, Sunshine," Eric muttered, his drawl oozing in his voice, "Should I go?"

She was breathing hard now, her breast heaving sharply. Her eyes shifted quickly up and down between his eyes and mouth as he closed in on her. "It-it's pretty dark out," she gasped, aware of her own breathless voice, "Can, uh, can you make it down the trail?"

"Don't know about that," he said smiling, his words confident and strong. His head tilted this way and that slowly, always moving forward, "Road's kinda narrow. Could slide right off. Wouldn't want that to happen, would you?"

Nicola shook her head quickly, her nervous blue eyes now fixed on his. "N-no. I...no, wouldn't want that." She could feel his warmth.

He flashed a wry smile. "I knew you were a nice girl," he whispered.

Their mouths touched. They both took a deep breath as they kissed. Her hands came up and held his face, feeling the rough skin and stubble under her fingers.

As he pulled back, Nicola breathed, "Eric."

The man never stopped grinning. "I think I'm ready for some dessert now, Sunshine," he said.

They came together in a smouldering kiss, heads rolling, lips pressing hard and parting. They breathed into one another, the heat within their bodies intensifying by the second. She wrapped her arms around his neck pulling him in closer. His large hands had a firm grip on her waist as he leaned her back against the cushions. Their inner lips tingled as they pressed and slid them together, glossing one another's mouths with their slick saliva. His tongue slipped into her mouth and explored her deeply. She could taste the pungent flavour of the wine on his tongue and she gasped and swallowed as it probed her mouth.

"Mmm. Oh god, Eric," Nicola's voice was quivering from the intensity of the moment. When he lifted his head away from hers, the woman pulled him back. This time her flickering tongue intercepted his, lashing against it .

I can't believe this is happening, she thought to herself briefly. This wasn't what she had in mind at all when she had driven from the city to the cottage. But the thought of stopping this, stopping Eric, never entered her mind. If anything, her passion for him was just building.