The Brass Ring

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Adele sat across from Marie and took her hand. "Girlfriend, it's up to you how long you stay with him. One of the things I can tell you with complete certainty about Clark is that he is the sticking kind. One of his girlfriends treated him horribly just before she broke up with him and he stuck with her to the bitter end. So it's up to you. Anyway, I need to tell you a bit about our mutual history to tell you about my first impressions of Clark. I was an art major and in my freshman and sophomore years, I lived at an artists' colony. Anything you have ever heard about artists colonies being wild and eccentric, was true of this place. Sex, drugs, partying all the time, anything you wanted you could get in the way of sex or drugs. I like fun but after a while it felt crazy. Drugs weren't fun anymore and I started to run out of money. I slept with a lot of men but they were all users who rarely gave. I wanted to get out. At the start of my junior year, I met Will. He was taking a ceramics class and I was the teacher's assistant so I had a key to the ceramics lab. Will and I got acquainted during that class. He seemed bright and I thought he was cute and funny and I liked him when he was serious, too. He was one of the more serious students and he asked me if he could get into the lab on Saturday. I had some things to do so I said sure. We met at the lab and after we were done, we started kidding around and I used my finger to smear some glaze on his face and we smeared each others faces and I put some clay down the back of his shirt and he put some down the front of my blouse. A couple of the buttons of my blouse had come undone earlier and he smeared some glaze in between my breasts. For some reason that got us really hot and we made love on one of the tables. When we were done, we decided to go back to my room and do it some more. It was before visiting hours, so we snuck in and got in the shower. Two of my girlfriends stood watch while we were in the shower and we did it in there too. We snuck into my room and spent the rest of the day in bed. We've been together ever since. When I met Will and Clark I found I could have fun and not feel used, that I could give and get something back instead. More coffee?"

"Sure. That's interesting. Since they were roommates, you met Clark through Will?"

"Yes. My first real date with Will was also with Clark. We three decided to go to a movie. We spent almost the whole night laughing. My sides hurt the next day. We have been the best of friends since. There isn't anything I wouldn't do for Will or Clark. I consider myself to be a very fortunate woman who has such a good man as Will and as good a friend as Clark. I have always known both of them to be gentle, loyal, faithful, and thoughtful. If you have a positive impression of Clark, you're right.

"Adele, He is very generous with his compliments. . ."

"Wait! I can answer that question before you finish it. Believe all his compliments. I want you to know something else. He means what he says. I think you are what Clark needs. I haven't seen him smile like he has been here since we visited him in California about a year ago. I saw how content he looked when you two were cuddling. You seem to like him for the man he is and not for the same reasons the girlfriends I knew. Has all my yammering helped?"

"Yes. I think so. I'll think about it. Thank you, Adele. Marie couldn't find the right words for her thoughts. She slowly started "Do you think, well, this is all happened so quickly. . .we don't know each other very well. Should . . . I. . ."

Adele finished the sentence for Marie. "Marry him? I don't know if I can give you a good answer. He may not be the right man for you but I can say with complete confidence that he is a good guy. Can I give you a piece of friendly advice?"

"Sure!"

"Enjoy your time with Clark! He's an honorable man and not a user. If he says he will be back, he will be. With Clark what you see and hear is what you get."

They slowly wandered back to Bernie's booth. When they were about a hundred feet away, Adele stopped and said "One thing you should know about Clark. He and Will are both demons with their work. We visited Clark about a year and a half ago in California and Will and I went one day to the site he was working. The two of them got wrapped up in the dig and they seemed to ignore me. I felt neglected. I was angry and told them so and why. They treated me like the Queen of Sheba the rest of the day. Will opened the car door for me and Clark pretended to put his imaginary coat over an imaginary mud puddle like Sir Walter Raleigh. They explained later how involved they can get with their work. After he explained, I knew that it wasn't a personal affront. They have their priorities straight and know when to be serious and when to have fun. They have their fun but draw the line well. They know moderation, too.

The day passed too quickly. They ate Chinese for lunch and won some prizes. Native Americans from local tribes were represented and many carnival rides were present. The merry-go-round was Marie and Clark's favorite because they could hold hands and rest their feet. They had candied apples in the midafternoon. When Clark and Will tried to ring the bell and didn't, the ladies kidded them.

"How can we tolerate such weakness in our men." Adele pretended to be dismayed.

"Oh woe is me!" she declared

"We will be the laughing stock of the village!" Marie added.

"Watch out, Clark! It looks like she can dish it out!" Will warned.

"Will, if the ladies persist in destroying our dignity, I won't tell them of the news."

"What news?" Marie asked.

"Bernie offered me a job here."

"Are you going to take it?" Marie quickly inquired.

"I don't know. It is tempting but I'd be working with Will some of the time. That's a drawback!"

They and the other fairgoers began to leave just before sunset. They got to the car and Clark held the door for Marie as Will did for Adele.

Clark said "Bernie offered me more money and I will be in charge of most digs I am a part of. I hate the thought of leaving Sam. He has been great. His respect for my work and his concern makes me think of him as a second father. Leaving him would be like loosing my father again. How about you three help me decide? We'll brainstorm tonight if you all are in the mood."

"Sounds fine to me," Will said. Adele and Marie nodded in agreement. They got back to Will and Adele's house quickly. They went into the family room. There was a large fireplace and a very large soft sectional sofa.

"That's a great fireplace. I love fireplaces!" Marie said. "Can we have a fire tonight?"

"As the lady wishes," Will said. "Help me bring in the firewood, Clark."

"Let's get dinner started first. Marie I could use some help, Adele requested."

"What can I do?"

"Here's the makings for salad. We bought some steaks and mushrooms and corn. How's that sound?"

"Great!"

"Marie, it was fun having you along today. I hope we see a lot of you."

"Me, too. I will think a lot about everything you told me. I hope it didn't seem silly."

"Not at all. You have a right to know things if you and Clark stay together. You'll find them out yourself in time but since this might be a long distance romance, finding out quicker is a better way."

Will and Clark returned with the wood for the fire and Will built it. Within minutes the fire was fully started. The ladies brought dinner into the family room. "Anybody hungry? "I thought we could eat at the coffee table," Adele said.

"It looks great! The fire is going and we moved the table closer to the sofa." Clark said. "Let me help you with that." He took the salad from Marie and put it on the table.

She set the places and sat down on the sofa. Adele put the bread and corn between them all. "Enjoy!"

When their appetites were partly sated, they began to talk about Clark's decision. Clark began the discussion "I'm going to write down the ups and downs, and see what that does for me."

"First, a little more money here and you and Marie could see each other more often." Adele said.

"GOOD POINT!" Marie said. She moved closer to him and put her arms around his middle.

"Marie dear, I can't write with you sitting so close."

She took his note pad and tossed it on the table. She said "That is the only reason you need to take the job."

He put his arm around her and they sat close. Adele got up and started to pick up the dishes. "Anyone want anything else?"

Everyone said no and what a great meal it was.

"Marie deserves some of the credit."

"Thank you both for a terrific dinner," Will said.

"Here, here," Clark echoed.

"Adele, you stay here. I'll put the dishes in the kitchen."

"I'll help you, Marie. I want to talk to you a bit." They put the dishes in the sink.

Adele turned to Marie and said "You fit in with this crazy bunch. Best of all you fit with Clark. Let's go see what the guys are doing."

They all cuddled at opposite ends of the sofa while they all talked.

"Thanks for the fire guys." Marie said. "This is great! A good fire, good friends, and a good guy to cuddle with."

"Here, here," Will said.

"Marie, it was a real pleasure having you with us today."

"Yes, it was," Clark said. He leaned over and kissed the side of her head.

"I concur," Will added. "You are welcome here anytime, Marie."

"Here, here," Adele said. "Four cheers for the four musketeers!"

They all laughed at the new appellation for their gang. Marie was the fourth member and a very welcome addition indeed.

They got comfortable by the warmth of the fire and cuddled and talked. "Adele, why did you and Will come back here from Oregon?"

"After college, we settled near Will's first job. We were content to stay there but after about ten years I realized I wanted to build a long term future with Will. I realized we didn't have any plans for our future and I started becoming restless and Will resisted any of my suggestions for change. Then my dad died and left me this property. I quickly came up with a plan. I thought about this area and I thought it would be a good place to live our life. I like the people and it is an intimate community. I also didn't want to just have everything everyone else has. . .I wanted a lifestyle that was somewhat different than folks typically have here. I thought that with this property we could have a unique home and have a lifestyle that suits us. I got to the point of complete frustration with Will. One day I heard an old song that had a line '. . .Tell him you'll be on the next train if love don't get there first. . .'

"Do you want to tell the rest, Will?"

"No. But I have some things to say when you're finished."

"I gave him an ultimatum that I was leaving for Missouri in exactly one week with or without him. He decided that coming to Missouri was better than the alternative."

"My turn," Will said "The night Adele gave me her ultimatum, I snuck out of bed and started packing. I didn't want to be late! I continued to pack until Adele woke up and said 'You have plenty of time. It'll keep until morning.' Her intuition was right. We have a better life than we would have in Oregon. If it isn't better, it is darn good! More coffee anyone?" Will asked. "Did we answer your question?"

"Yes, all three of your stories are interesting. Am I really welcome with you three?"

Clark was the first to answer. "I had a better time with you and these two knuckleheads than I ever had with any other woman and these two knuckleheads. Anytime, Pretty Lady. anytime."

"Here, here!" Will and Adele called out in unison.

Will put another log on the fire. They cuddled in silence for some time. Clark picked up his book and read a few pages with only moderate interest. Marie watched him and put her hand on his leg. She was debating in her mind if she should sleep with him. I'll wait to decide. She kissed him on the cheek. "That's one of your kisses."

"I'm not sure that will qualify as one of the kisses. I wasn't prepared so I didn't fully enjoy it."

"I'll consider redoing it but I think you are just maneuvering for an extra kiss."

"You're right!"

She put her arms around his middle again and they held each other very close.

Will and Adele announced they were going to bed.

"We should go too," Marie said. They walked hand in hand to their respective rooms. When they got to Marie's room, Clark said "Is this a good time to ask for those kisses?"

"Fine."

He leaned over and kissed her tenderly on one cheek and then the other. He put his arms around her and hugged her firmly.

He leaned over again and she kissed his cheeks. "Your hug now, Clark."

They pulled a short way apart. He looked deeply in her eyes and said "Can we amend our agreement?"

"How would you like to amend it?"

He cupped her cheeks in his hands and gave her a deep, meaningful kiss.

"Or we could amend it like this." They kissed another kiss like the first. He caressed her back and hair and she returned his caresses.

They held each other and kissed for some time. They finally went to their bedrooms. As he turned to go, he said, "Marie, I need to go back to California and resume my life, but I'm coming back."

"She said "I think you have all that you need to make your decision. Goodnight."

She was on her way home fairly early. They had agreed he would call that evening.

"Hi, Clark."

Hi, Marie. How was the drive home? I take it that you got there safely?"

"It was fine. I thought about you a lot and what a nice time I had."

"Me, too. . . about you."

"I told Mom and Dad about our day and they suggested that I invite you for a day here, dinner included. Would you like that?"

"I'd love it! I'm still hoping for that tour of your area and dinner would be fine. Maybe you'll play your violin. I'd love to hear it."

"OK. That's all doable. I have violin lessons to give on Monday and Tuesday. Will Wednesday be alright?"

"Fine. I'll be working on Monday and Tuesday with Will. Wednesday suits my schedule perfectly."

"How about being here at 11:00?"

"Sounds fine. Can I do anything besides showing up?"

"No. We have everything. What would you like to hear me play?"

"Surprise me. I just want to hear you play. I've always thought 'Send in the Clowns' would be wonderful on the violin done in a deep key to avoid the higher pitched sounds. I've always preferred the deeper tones."

"I don't know that song but I'll pick out something short. Have fun with Will."

"Thanks. I will. Can I call tomorrow night?"

"Sure. How come?"

"No reason. Maybe I'll need you to rescue me from Will. He can be a real slave driver at work!"

She laughed and said "If you need to be rescued, I'll be there for you!"

He paused. Be there for me for many reasons. "I'll keep you posted on their shenanigans, too."

"OK. I'd like to hear any news about them. I'll see you Wednesday. Bye for now."

"Bye."

How is Marie?" Will inquired.

"Fine. She invited me up for a visit Wednesday. To look around and dinner and to hear her play her violin."

"Sounds like fun."

"Yes, it does."

"What else is on your mind, Clark?" Adele asked. "You look pensive"

"I've been thinking about Bernie's offer and what to do. I am still having a tough time sorting things out."

"Anything you want to talk about?"

"No. I'm just going to give it a couple days. Maybe my mind will clear or a solution will come to me. Thanks for your support."

"We're always here for you. Anything we can do for you, we will," Will said.

"That goes for me, too," Adele added as she hugged him.

Clark called on Monday.

Jane answered the phone. "Hi, Clark. I suppose you want to talk to Marie?"

"I would but could I have a bit of your time first? I have a question that I think you can best answer."

"I'll try. What is it?"

"Marie seems like an extraordinary woman. She is perfect in the ways I value most in a woman. But. . .she seems afraid of involvement. Do you have any thoughts?"

"Yes. She was hurt badly by her boyfriends in college. I think that is most of it. Another thing you might want to know is that she saw herself as an ugly duckling. She wasn't a part of the popular groups and has always felt there wasn't anywhere she fit in. "That explains her question Saturday. She wondered if she fit in with the three of us."

"I see. Does she?"

"Beautifully. We all enjoyed her company immensely."

"Does all this help, Clark?"

"Yes, very much. I'll see you on Wednesday. May I speak with Marie now."

"Here she is.

"Hi, Clark."

"Hi, Marie. Will and Adele say hello and they want to know when you are coming down again."

"Tell them it will be when I have recovered from Saturday. My side is still sore from laughing!"

"Mine, too. I had a good day with Bernie and Will. Will was tolerable. I think he was trying to fool me into believing he is easy to work with."

"Oh stop it! I'm laughing again. Tell me about your master's project."

"The final result was that we nearly restored a Chinese gold rush town. Grad students since us have completed the restoration work. It is very satisfying to have had a substantial part in preserving that town. Will was the better writer and did most of the writing and I did most of the cleaning and cataloging. We shared the other tasks."

"I think you should be proud, Clark."

"I am. Thank you, Marie. How did the lessons go?"

"They went well. The little girl is quite good for her age and seems to enjoy playing. She'll be ready for her first recital soon. I should be going. I need to get ready for tomorrow's lessons."

"OK. I'll call tomorrow."

"I'd like that."

The next day was much like this one.

When they talked on Tuesday, Marie said "Clark, are you still coming tomorrow? I can give you a tour of the area and I can play something on the violin for you. My parents have invited you to dinner and you can spend the night on the couch if it gets late."

"Great. I'd like that. I'd most like to hear you play. You will receive a reward of one hug for your efforts with the violin. Can you see if Radar O'Reilly will be in town?"

"I'll try to find out. I haven't talked with him in quite a while! Get here about 11:00 and I'll give you the tour and we'll be back in plenty of time for dinner. Mom and Dad want to get to know you better. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Yes, tomorrow."

"Adele, Will. Marie has invited me up for the day tomorrow. Can I borrow your car?"

"Sure. When do you want it?"

"About 10:00. Marie said we'd start about 11:00."

Clark tossed and turned until about 2:00 in the morning. He got up at 9:00 and got ready and then paced the floor with his suitcase.

Will said, "Here's the keys. Get the hell out of here before your pacing makes all crazy!"

Clark rushed out and drove there quickly but sanely. He listened to classical music and thought of Marie when he heard violins. I'm nuts! I must be out of my mind! I feel like a school boy with a crush and I like it! I should have my head examined!

He quickly made his way to the hills of southern Iowa but the drive seemed like an eternity.

Clark knocked on the door. It was a modest home on a quiet street. A moment later, Jane answered the door.

"Hi, Clark. It's good to see you again."

"Thank you, Jane."

Marie poked her head around a corner "Give me twenty minutes."

"Come in, Clark. Would you like a cup of coffee?"

"Sure. I'm not sure I'll have time to finish it. Marie is taking me on a tour of the area today. She said it would take most of the day and we wanted to get an early start."

They went into the kitchen and Jane poured a cup for them. Jim was finishing his late Saturday breakfast. He stood up and smiled. Clark extended his hand. "How are you, Jim?"

"Good. Jane and I are going shopping and running some errands while you and Marie are on your tour."