The Brass Ring

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Jane, I wonder what is keeping Marie."

"I'll go see. . .Marie, Clark's waiting."

Jim started "You and Marie are spending quite a bit of time together." He looked down at the table and said "I'm sorry." He raised his head and looked at Clark and started again. "I don't mean to pry or sound like a father trying to find out if your intentions are honorable. My reason for saying that is that I'm very pleased that she is smiling a lot again. We know Adele and her family and she has assured us that you are an honorable man and you've also treated us respectfully.

"I'm pleased that she is smiling about me. Will and Adele told me my face looked like I had plastic surgery to give myself a permanent smile. Jim, Marie has many of the things I want and value in a woman. I love everything about the way she looks and moves and talks. All that added to her inner beauty makes her very beautiful to me. I am most pleased to be with her."

Jane returned. "I'm not interrupting any men-only talk am I?"

"No, Honey. We were talking about Marie."

"Good subject," Jane said. "What about Marie?"

"I was wondering about her history, she told me about a boyfriend in college."

"Oh, yes. That was Jake. She was devastated. Without a word to anyone he left and married another girl. She had another boyfriend. He made her laugh. She has always been drawn to people who made her laugh. He was a charmer. He told her he loved her and swore they would always be together. But he was only interested in sex. I don't think that she fully accepts the fact that he used her. She always seemed to feel like she was an ugly duckling in high school. She was prettier than many other girls but she seemed to compare herself to the prettiest girls. She only had one boyfriend in high school. He wasn't at all right for her. They were more like buddies."

"He has a chicken ranch in the next county. Marie is definitely not cut out for a life on a chicken ranch," Jim added.

Jane continued, "She studied hard and played for hours after they went their separate ways. Her violin was a kind of solace. She decided to study music in college and she was first violin in the University of Iowa orchestra and nearly got into Julliard. We're very proud of her."

"She told us you are an archaeologist."

"Yes Historical archaeology. Will and I did a joint project for our master's thesis. We worked together for about a year after school. I've had several jobs since until the current one. I have to get back there in about a week. I'm going to hate to leave here."

"Why, Clark?" Jim asked.

"I haven't seen Will or Adele for years I'd like to stay longer than the two weeks I have and I'm enjoying Marie's company immensely. It haven't had an unpleasant moment with her but she seems to believe I'm not like her previous boyfriends. I suppose it's understandable."

"Give her time. She'll know what you are about in time. We do."

Marie came in. "What are you talking about?"

"You." Clark stated matter-of-factly. They were telling me about your boyfriends and how proud they are of you."

"Let's go before they get out the old home movies!" Marie took Clark's hand. Let's run!" They headed for Marie's little red Chevy and drove off. They leisurely drove through the small area towns and Marie showed him the schools she had attended, her teen hangouts, and the local historical sites like the courthouse and library. She pointed out other places that had some significance for her. They held hands as they walked and had a burger and greasy fries at her favorite burger stand when she was in high school.

The same waitress who had been there in Marie's high school days was still working there.

"Hi, Maggie."

"Hi Marie. I haven't seen you in a long time. Still playing the violin?

"Yes. I don't think I will ever give it up. Maggie, this is my friend Clark. He's visiting his friends in Memphis and is visiting us for the day."

"Pleased to meet you Clark."

"Pleased to meet you too, Maggie. Marie has told me a lot about this place."

"Since you are still alive, I guess our food didn't poison you!"

They took seats at the counter and Maggie gave them menus.

Marie gave her order to Maggie. "I'll have the number 2. A burger with everything and fries. Just like the old days!"

"I'll have the same Maggie."

"Two number twos coming up!"

They ate but paid more attention to each other as they did to their burgers. Some ketchup and mustard found its way to their clothes.

While Clark was in the bathroom, Maggie asked Marie about Clark.

"Are you and Clark a couple?"

"No. We met on the bus to Ottumwain Reno. We're just friends."

"Seems like more to me."

"What do you mean, Maggie?"

"I saw the way you looked at him."

"Oh?"

"Yep! If I were you, I'd grab him quick! He's cute and funny."

"Yes he is but we are just friends for now."

"Suit yourself."

"Maggie, you're just as bad as my mother! She's always trying to play matchmaker!"

"I'll leave you alone but I want an invitation to the wedding!"

Clark returned. "What are you two talking about?"

"My mother, weddings. Not much."

They proceeded to the high school. A secretary recognized Marie.

"Marie! How are you? We haven't seen you here since you graduated. What's new?"

"I came by to give Clark a tour of Ottumwa. I was wondering if you can tell me how I can contact Mrs. Johnston, my music teacher. Her first name was Edith."

"Sorry, Marie but we can't give out that information but we can forward a message for you."

Marie quickly wrote a short note and handed it to the secretary. Clark made a mental note of the secretary's name.

Their day passed too quickly for both of them.

"I think we should be heading home. Mom said dinner will be about five."

"OK. Please help me remember to take this book. "Why did you bring it today?"

"I have only a few pages left and I've been carrying it with me over the last few days in case I get time to read. "

They got back on time and Marie helped her mother set the table while Clark and Jim talked in the living room.

"Clark, would you mind if I asked you some questions?"

"No. Marie and I have been spending a lot of time together for two people who hardly know each other. I have wondered what you and Jane think of this whole thing. You have a right to be concerned."

"Marie has told us you are a historical archaeologist. What is that like?"

"We excavate historical sites unlike sites that predate recorded history. Did Marie tell you about our Master's project?"

"Yes. It sounded fascinating."

"It often is. For some, it can be a lot of tedium. One needs a certain sort of temperament to do it for a living. Overall, I'm quite content doing it. Maybe Will can show you a dig sometime."

"I'd like that!"

"Or maybe he can dig up a murder victim like we did on one of our first digs after college."

"Really?!"

"Yep. We found a skeleton and excavated it and found a bullet hole in the back of the head. We quickly determined it was a male and suspected it was an old burial. There was a lack of soft tissue, only a little hair and a skeleton usually has to have been buried quite a while to be stained as it was. The coroner was able to determine that he had been buried about eighty years before. They matched some buttons with some made about 80 years before to date it.

May I ask you a question, Jim?"

"Sure. You've been open with us. I suppose we can return the effort."

"What do you do for a living?"

"I'm a general contractor. I've been able to support my family comfortably with it for many years."

"What do you and Jane think of Marie and I spending all this time together?" Clark asked.

"Jane and I think you are a good man for Marie and we see you as an honorable man We're not concerned."

"Thank you, Jim. Clark smiled broadly and shook Jim's hand. "I'm getting hungry. How about you?"

"Let's get into the kitchen. The ladies should have dinner ready. How old are you?"

"I'll be forty in April."

"You're quite a bit older than Marie. She's 26."

"Is that going to be a problem?"

"Not for me and I doubt it will be for the ladies."

They sat down to dinner. Jim said "You're sitting next to Marie, Old Man!"

"My favorite place to sit."

Jane asked "Jim, what did you mean by 'old man'?"

"Nothing much. Clark told me he will be forty in April."

"Oh. That's a good age. Marie is 26. Her birthday is in July."

"What do you think Marie?" Jane asked.

"It is a bit of a shock."

"Is that going to be a problem?"

"I don't think so. Let's eat!"

They chatted over dinner and learned a bit more about the others.

"Can we ask about your family, Clark?" Jim inquired.

"I have aunts and uncles and cousins spread all over the country. Mom died about four years ago and Dad died just after Will and Adele visited about a year and a half ago."

At one point, Clark said "I'm going to call Sam tomorrow and talk to him. Friday, Will and I are going shopping and touring of his area."

"Please let me know what Sam says, Clark," Marie said.

After dinner, Jane said "We have a surprise for you and Marie, Clark. Let's go into the family room. The dishes will wait."

Marie and Clark sat together and Jim said "Jane and I thought about this surprise and agreed that it would be a very good idea to do it. We picked it up today and we haven't seen it yet so it will be new for all of us." No one saw him push the play button on the VCR remote.

"What is it, Dad?" Marie asked.

"Watch the TV. We had our home movies put on tape."

"Not the home movies!" Marie exclaimed. This is so embarrassing! Mom, I am disowning Dad!

"Don't you want to see your concerts?"

"Oh. Yes I would. But, Mom, I'm now considering disowning you and Dad! I wonder if Will and Adele will let me rent a room."

The first image on the screen had only the words 'Our Marie' on it. It quickly faded to a little dark haired girl taking her first steps.

"This is so embarrassing!"

"I like it. You were adorable!" Clark said.

"Do I have to disown you, too?"

"You can't disown people who aren't family."

"Then you'll never get to be family!"

"Uh-Oh"

"This is so embarrassing!" Marie repeated.

They finally got to her concert at University of Iowa though there was no sound.

"We were so proud of her that night!" Jim said. The video finished and Jane got up and said "We'll see you another time, Clark. We're going to bed so you two can talk."

"Good night." Clark said " Thanks for a terrific dinner . . .and the entertainment!"

"It was so embarrassing!"

They sat again and talked. I'm spending the day with Will tomorrow and Friday we are hanging out in town."

"That should give you some time to talk about guy things."

"Yep!" You're coming down Friday?"

"Yep! I wouldn't miss it! Have you said all that you need to say today?"

"Yes. That about covers it. What is on your mind?"

"Kissing."

"Sounds like a terrific idea to me!"

They cuddled and kissed and caressed for about an hour until it was time to go.

"Clark whispered "I want to make love with you."

"Me, too but not here. Friday. . .I have a nightie you might like. . . I'll bring it. . ."

"That sounds wonderful, Honey. I should be going before we embarrass ourselves. I'll save all this desire for Friday."

"Me, too."

Clark went to the door and kissed her a final time. "Good night, Sweetheart."

"Good night, Honey." she answered. "Friday."

He called Sam the next day. "Hello?" He recognized the voice as Irene, Sam's wife and fellow archaeologist. "This is Clark."

"Hi, Clark. We've missed you around here. What can I do for you?"

"I need to talk to Sam."

"Sam is on his cell phone today. You'll have to try him there. How are things going for you on vacation?"

"Terrific!" I've got a lot to report. But I really need to talk to Sam. He can tell you all about it. Thanks Irene. I'll see you next week. I'll talk to Sam now."

"Hi Sam" Clark said.

"Hi Clark. When can we expect you back?"

"Tuesday. But I need to talk to you about a more personal matter if you can take the time."

"Sure. What is it?"

He told him of Marie and his job offer and his feelings about leaving his job.

"You've always been like a second father and friend. You took a chance on me when I was starting out."

"I didn't feel like I was taking a chance. You seemed like a sure thing, Clark. I have long thought that something in your life was missing and Marie sounds like the missing something. I want your happiness as much as if you were my son and families sometimes go their separate ways. You are NOT being disloyal to me by being loyal to yourself. Whatever you decide, you are always welcome here for any reason and if you need to talk, you can call anytime. And if you ever want a job, bring Will with you! How is he?"

"He and Adele are doing very well. They send their best. Thanks, Dad!"

"Talk to you soon, Son! Oh! One other thing, if there is a wedding you have to invite Irene and I!"

"Deal! I'll see you on Tuesday."

"We'll pick you up if you can call us ahead of time."

"Great idea! I'll call from the bus."

Clark told Will and Adele about his talk with Sam. "He said I wasn't being disloyal. He was great about the whole thing." More tears ran down Clark's cheeks. They both hugged him.

"Have you made up your mind yet?" Adele asked. "I think the answer is right in front of you."

"Yeah, what have you decided, Friend?"

"I want some more time to think. I told Marie I would call today."

That evening, Marie had a talk with her parents. "Marie, what's going on between you and Clark," Jane asked.

"What do you mean, Mom?"

"You called him Honey and I've never seen such a big smile on your face!"

Oh Mom, you're always the matchmaker!"

"No! I'm just curious about such a big development in my daughter's life."

"Me too, Marie," Jim said.

"OK, Mom and Dad. Can we talk as friends instead of parents and daughter for a little while?"

"Yes," Jane said. Jim nodded his agreement.

"What is your impression of Clark?"

Jim said, "He acts respectfully and he is certainly intelligent. In the ways I know him, he seems to be the kind of man I would want as my daughter's husband."

Jane said, "I heard the song 'True Love Ways' the other day. With your interest in music, I'm sure you have heard it."

"Yes. I've heard it."

"I think Clark has true love ways."

"Really? That's all you have to say?"

"Yes. I think a man who has the heart and mind to have true love ways is someone who will be good to you. That's about all I have to say. He reminds me of your father in the ways he treats you."

Marie thought for several moments. "I'll think about what you said, Mom. Thank you.

"I think Clark is wonderful and he is many good things but I wonder if we are possibly rushing into things. What if we get married and find out we are wrong for each other?"

"You never really know someone until you live with them. You have to take some chances. Your father and I only knew each other about a month before we got married. We took a chance on each other and we are sure of our decision. I was even more sure then than you are now but I didn't question my decision like you are. The questioning you are doing is good. We will support any decision you make."

"I agree with everything your mother said. Give your mind a rest and give yourself time. Clark will be available by phone if you need to take more time. I think you might talk to Will and Adele about him. They seem the best people to talk to."

"Adele already said Clark will come back if he said so and he has. Thanks Mom and Dad."

Just then the phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Hi, Honey," Clark said.

"Hi, Honey," she said. "What's on your mind?"

"I want to tell you something. I talked to Sam and he said I needn't feel disloyal. His gracious words helped to relieve my guilt or whatever it was I was feeling."

"Good. Have you decided anything?"

"Yes. I want to see a lot more of you."

"Me, too."

"Have you packed your nightie?"

"Not yet. But it's out and ready to go."

"Fine. I'm going to go now. I could use a nap."

"OK. See you Friday."

He set the phone down and picked up his note pad again and tried to write down some more reasons to help him with his decision but the one on the page remained alone. He slammed the notepad down.

"Screw it!" I'm going to lie down." He slept until dinner time. When he awoke, he told Adele and Will "I feel better but still no decision."

"It will come to you when it is time."

That night went agonizingly slow for Clark even though his day with Will was very pleasant. They arrived back home about 4:30. Adele said "Clark you had a call from Marie at about 4:00. She said she was leaving then.

Before she left, Marie asked her parents if she could talk to them again.

"Mom, Dad, can I talk to you? As friends?"

"Of course. What is it, Honey?"

"Well, I don't know how to start. What would you say if I said I'm going to sleep with Clark tonight?"

"I think you should make your own decision," Jane said.

Jim took Marie's hand and said "I think you should follow whatever is drawing you to Clark. Follow it wherever it leads you."

"But you two always said I should wait until marriage!"

Jane replied "Times change and we've changed. You are quite capable of making good decisions and if our modern daughter wants to do differently, she should feel free to do it. If I had it to do over again, I would have slept with your dad sooner."

"If I had only known!" Jim quipped. "Have we helped?"

"Are you in love with him?" Jane asked.

"Yes. I am in love with him and I want to be with him in every way. I'm going now. I'll call. . . " She rushed out the door and sped away in her little red Chevy even more quickly.

Clark stepped out to the front porch with Will and Adele. Will put his arm around Clark's shoulder. "What is it, Friend?"

"Will, I'm in love with Marie."

"What's new?"

"Smart Ass!"

"Remember what we used to say in college? 'Everybody likes a little ass but nobody likes a smart ass.'"

Clark chuckled. "Thanks for the laugh, Friend."

Adele joined them in a hug. "I think you two should be together somewhere. You love each other and you're good for each other."

"I sure feel loved by her. I think you're right but where? How?"

That's a call for you and Marie to make, Clark."

Just then Marie pulled into the driveway. Clark rushed to meet her. They hugged tightly.

"I drove like a crazy person getting here. I love you, Clark."

"I love you too, Marie. Let's go in," Clark suggested. Something Adele said helped me make up my mind about us. . .at least part of us."

Once inside, Adele said "Make yourself at home. You know where everything is."

Marie put her suitcase in Clark's room and came back to the sofa. "Clark, I see your list isn't any longer."

He picked up the notepad and stared at it "No."

"Will, Adele, will you join us? I've made a decision."

They hurried to the sofa.

"I'm going back to California. . .but only to get my stuff and to say goodbye and thanks to Sam! The answer was so simple! I was blinded by my feelings about leaving Sam and couldn't see it! Adele said 'I think you two should be together somewhere'.

"What Adele said sounds right to me," Marie said.

"It was the where not the who was getting in my way. I want to marry you, Marie, and be with you. The where of it really doesn't matter but I will take Bernie's offer and get married and settle here. "I do want a change of scenery. I'll need everybody's help. First, Marie will have to marry me."

Marie squeezed his hand and said with a huge smile and "Yes, I will marry you, Clark."

Will and Adele will have to put me up until I get settled."