The Break-In

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"So if I am hearing everyone, there have been approximately 20 charges laid against Ed for his attempt steal the assets left by a legal Will to Kevin. The assets and properties, including Ed's bank accounts have been frozen until the criminal investigation and probate process is complete. Because there was federal survivor benefits fraud of Kevin's father's pension, the military police are involved as well. Between the police and our private investigators, we have obtained documentation of additional crimes similar in nature to other people as well and they are being turned over to the appropriate police for their involvement. The warrants are being extended from the neighbouring jurisdictions for Ed's return to stand trial. It is our intention for Ed to be remanded in custody until this process is completed including the criminal charges. Does that summarize it correctly gentlemen?" asked Max.

They all nodded their heads.

"You have done a fantastic job on this complicated case in such a short time period. I shall write letters of commendation for everyone's personnel files along with my personal appreciation for your actions" said Max. "Let's have lunch and off for court."

With that said, Mary opened the door and chefs pushing trays of food came into the room. The spread was fantastic having something for everyone including the vegans. Max spoke to the police officers and asked them if they would consider working for his firm when the retired or even earlier. They would think about it and let him know. He made the same offer to the two men from the prosecutor's office. They too would consider it.

Kevin stood off to one side with a plate full of food. It was very good and he was enjoying it almost as he watched Max working the room by making personal contact with every member of the team. He felt alone and out of place in this room and with this people. He was just a kid out of high school and didn't belong in the room with these older, high powered people. He wanted to leave and hide.

He was snapped out of his thoughts when Max asked him "Are you ok Kevin."

"I am fine Max. Just feel out of place in here."

"There is no need for that Kevin. You are welcome here and you are with me. After you graduate Law School, you will be in this room with us as a colleague" said Max.

"I can't afford that" Kevin said simply.

"I didn't ask for money, but you are starting in the fall. It has been taken care of" said Max.

Kevin looked at him as if waiting for the punch line from a joke. It wasn't forthcoming. "Really?" asked Kevin.

Max laughed. "Yes. Really. Did you know you use that word every time something happens you don't believe or can't believe? It's cute."

Kevin smirked and a twinkle formed in his eyes. "Really?"

They both laughed. After lunch, Kevin went to find a washroom. He bumped into Mary in the hallway. "I want to thank you Kevin for what you have done" she said.

"I have no clue what you are talking about Mary" replied Kevin with a puzzled look on his face.

"Max hasn't been this happy since his husband died. He has been doing his work and running the business, but the Max we all knew and loved was gone. He has been so unemotional in the way he did things. He has been so animated and even laughing since you two arrived. You are good for him Kevin and I hope you stick around" she said. Mary reached out and gave him a hug.

"He runs the company?" asked Kevin.

When she released him, he saw Max standing in the hallway watching them. Kevin moved to him and Max hugged him. "I see you passed the Mary test" he laughed. "Let's get going to court" he said.

Max had heard the question Kevin had asked Mary, which she had avoided answering. "Kevin, you asked Mary about her comment of me running the company. I will answer it for her now we are alone. Yes, I do run it. Actually, it was left by my grandfather to my dad who left it to me after I had proven myself."

"Really?" asked Kevin.

"Yuppers" replied Max with a smile.

They were all sitting in court with Judge looking at them from his perch on the bench. He had heard everything the prosecution and the defense had said during the hearing. He was reviewing some documentation before starting his summation and rendering a decision on this preliminary hearing. The defense suddenly requested a 20 minute recess and the judge agreed.

The defense lawyer and Ed were escorted into an interview room. A policeman stood outside the door. There was muffled shouting heard from within the room and then silence. The attorney came out and approached Max.

"Sir, may I request consideration of a plea deal for my client?" he asked. Max looked up and raised his arm, gesturing for the prosecutor to come over which he did.

"You need to speak with this man" stated Max very calmly.

The prosecutor and the defense attorney started talking as they went to the Interview room and then inside with Ed. He came out alone just before court resumed.

The judge came back into the courtroom and took his seat. He advised the court he was ready to render a decision. The defense and prosecuting attorneys both stood and indicated a plea bargain had been reached and they laid it out in front of the judge.

The judge ordered Ed to stand and asked if the deal was satisfactory. Ed responded with "yes Sir."

The judge then asked Kevin to stand. "You are the one who was victimized by the actions of this man. How do you feel about it?"

Kevin stood but was having trouble getting words out of his mouth. Max stood "your Honour, I am Max Betts, one of the lawyers working on Kevin Wager's behalf."

"Mr. Betts, it is always a pleasure to see you in my court and it has been a long time sir" the judge said.

"Thank you your Honour. It is a pleasure to be here and it has been two years since I left active client care. But, I am back and helping this young man" Max replied.

"So I see Mr. Betts. Your people have done their usual good job of investigating this matter with the police and have submitted very precise reports. How does Kevin feel about the plea deal" asked the judge.

"Your Honour, Kevin would like to see this man locked up in a cell considerably longer than he was locked up in the basement of his own home. It is unfortunate he cannot be fed on the same schedule as he fed Kevin, which was usually forgetting to give him anything. Kevin also understands the beating and abuse he suffered at the hands of this man cannot be given to him as part of your orders" said Max with a smirk.

For a brief second, the Judge smirked as well.

Max reached for his brief case and opened it. "Your Honour, when I found Kevin, he had 37 cents, two free hamburger coupons, a newspaper and the envelope containing the Will of his late mother." Max produced the items he mentioned and laid them on the table where the judge could see them.

"There were also many pieces of well-worn and dirty clothing in his backpack. The final item he had (as Max pulled it out) was his Teddy Bear which his mother and father who was killed in action gave him when he was born. This was all that man had allowed him as possessions when Kevin escaped from the house one night. Ed had destroyed all other items which could have been kept of his mother and his father, the war hero. Kevin escaped with a fear for his life and had to run away from his own legal home. He tried to support himself but was not all that successful except to barely survive. He did this while Ed stayed in his home and had numerous drunken poker parties from the proceeds of what he could sell to get money" explained Max. He handed the teddy bear to Kevin who took it and held it close to his body.

There were tears leaking out of Kevin's eyes and that did not go unnoticed by the Judge. Max pulled Kevin to his side and wrapped one arm round him.

"This young man never knew his father growing up as he was killed in combat. He lost his mother to cancer a few months ago and was prevented from living in his home surrounded by the memories of his parents because of the greed of one man. The mental and physical abuse he was subjected to by this man was inhuman especially while he was suffering from the loss from the last member of his family and the only person alive who loved him. Ed also focused his abuse on Kevin's being gay constantly telling him he didn't deserve to live or have community resources and services wasted on him because he was a faggot. These basic things are guaranteed to every person in this country" continued Max.

The defense attorney rose and objected. "This is not the information agreed upon in the plea bargain to be presented to the court by the prosecution."

Max was about to say something when the Judge stepped in. "This is not the prosecutor for the case Mr. Jonas. This is a very well respected defense attorney who is speaking on behalf of his client who I asked to give his opinion. If you had been practicing in this city for any length of time, you would know who Mr. Betts was. When he speaks, every judge in this city listens to him. Perhaps you should be as well" stated the judge. "Sit down!"

"Do you have anything else to add Mr. Betts?'" asked the Judge.

"No your Honour. I think I have conveyed my client's thoughts and you can see him yourself with tears on his face, holding his bear" Max replied. He looked at Kevin who nodded to him. They both sat down.

"I am prepared to render a verdict and sentence" stated the Judge in a very loud voice. "Stand up convict" he said gesturing to the defendant. (Stand up convict was a line used by a Judge in Edmonton, Alberta on numerous occasions during the 1980's)

"You have entered a plea of guilty to the offenses and reached a deal which recommended the sentence of 10 years. I accept your verdict. But you were told by both the Prosecutor and your attorney I was not bound by any recommended sentence. I sentence you to 10 years on each count, consecutively and with no eligibility for a parole."

The Judge continued "I would suggest the Prosecutor allow the transfer of this convict to the other jurisdictions to deal with their charges as well. That allows them to pay for the costs associated with keeping him off the street and away from decent people. Court is adjourned" he said as he slammed the gavel down.

The court heard Ed with an outburst "fucking faggots" as he was ushered out of the courtroom. Kevin was rushed out of the courtroom as well by Max and his Private Investigator's acting as personal security.

Outside the courthouse, Max commented "I haven't seen the Judge that upset for a long time."

"He didn't like Ed did he" stated Kevin.

"He didn't like him at all, but he hid that fact except to those who know him. I was expecting him to start swearing at Ed in court when I saw his anger. He really has done it before when he lost his temper" laughed Max.

They headed back to the office and the group got together for a coffee. Kevin was very nervous and fidgety. "Kevin, you either need to go to the bathroom or you want to say something" sated Max.

Kevin smiled at him. "Both" replied. "Will you go with me?"

They got up and left the room together and headed to the washroom. Inside the door, Kevin turned rapidly and kissed Max, grabbing him into a tight hug. "Thank you for what you have done Max."

"Your welcome little man" he replied.

"I like it when you call me that Max. I like Kev too!" Kevin said. "Would you be offended if I said I think I am falling in love with you Max?"

"Falling? I have to admit, I think I am there already Kev. I have fallen in love with you since the first time you stood so vulnerable and naked in front of me after your boxers fell to the ground."

"I feel in love with you when you took me into your arms after cutting off the plastic straps. I just didn't want to say it in case you chased me away" stated Kevin.

"I would never chase you away. I think we are good for each other little man."

"Me too" answered Kevin. He leaned over and kissed him again. "I need to go pee." He took off like a shot to the urinals.

They returned to the conference room and went to the head of the table. Max stood right behind his little man and rested a hand on each of his shoulders in reassurance. Kevin spoke up "If I may, could I say a few words to everyone?" The room went quiet.

"I had to go to the bathroom before I spoke to you guys because I probably would have peed myself with fear." The men in the room chuckled.

"I hear ya Kevin. I was the same way my first day in court. Had to go the bathroom 4 times in 30 minutes" said one of the policemen. "My first case had Max as the defense lawyer" he added.

The room started laughing and Max smiled. "I thought you did pee yourself Terry" Max added. The room laughed again.

"Go ahead Kevin, before you need the bathroom again" said Max.

Kevin laughed. "I want to thank all of you for helping me. I am just a little insignificant 19 year old gay man who was on the run with nothing in his pockets. You guys are all very powerful people who ran to me and helped fix things. I can never do enough to repay all of you for your kindness" said Kevin as his trailed off.

The prosecutor spoke up "Kevin, the reason we are here is to help people like you and this time it didn't get caught in the system. I am very happy you allowed me to help you with you legal matters."

The policeman who spoke earlier spoke up again "Kevin, your mother would be proud of the way you decided to turn and fight Ed in the legal system. She did a good job of raising a nice, well-spoken and intelligent young man. I wish you good luck at law school in the fall."

The rest applauded as Kevin stood there with tears in his eyes. He turned to look towards Max, who opened his arms. He moved into him and they hugged tightly.

"I guess we should tell you we are an item now" said Max. "And we intend to be for a long time in the future as well." The men applauded more.