The Empath Cycle: 2010 Carpe Diem - Book 2

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I know. I can follow her reasoning well enough up to a point, but she made an intuitive leap along the way that has me stumped. I spent the last two weeks trying to understand how she went from my results to this concept. I'll put Jean-Luc on it when he's available, but he can only apply the energy produced if he knows what it is and give us an idea of how to harness it. Then it will be up to the team to create the instruments to measure it."

"It's going to stand para-psychology on its head if you can go from theory to practice. You already revolutionized the field when you discovered that talented brains actually produce a measurable form of energy. This..." Jack couldn't find the words.

"We're way past theory, Jack. I'm living proof of it. We just don't know how or why it works. I'm afraid it's going to take years for Ryanna and her team to find out. All we can do is give them the tools to work with."

"It's a good thing you'll be able to fund the research privately. We'd be laughed out of the room if we tried to explain our purpose to donors."

"It won't be a problem. Karlie said we already have a line on the land adjacent to the existing Research Center. The biggest expense will be the building itself. We'll need to find a good contractor we can trust to keep his mouth shut. As for the money itself, she says all she needs is to take the real estate company to the next level. She said she's looking for investors who won't ask too many questions."

"That may not be so easy. We're talking about a lot of money here even if she gives them a good return on their investment. These kind of people tend to ask a lot of questions."

"So she told us. All we can do for now is wait and pray to the Mother."

Ann met with Robert to get a sense of his team's project. It was fairly straightforward. They had set stage goals for each group or individual within the team and some of them were falling behind for some reason. She then visited the team members and mostly listened to them. Then she went back to her office.

Later, she invited Robert to have lunch with her. At first, he wasn't too happy with what she told him, but when she explained that it was simply an oversight at the planning stage and proposed a simple solution, he relaxed.

The team members grumbled a bit when she interrupted their work in the afternoon for a meeting, but they had heard from Sylvie's team that she usually got to the quick of problems with simple suggestions, so they went willingly.

She started by having them review their original stage schedule. She let them get past the point where the problem appeared and asked a few simple questions, directing the discussion so they would be the ones to point the mistake and come up with the solution. Once that was done, she pulled out a revised schedule and offered it for discussion. By the end of the meeting, everyone was laughing as they walked back to work.

Robert stayed behind to have a word with her.

"I watched you do it, but I'm still not exactly sure how you did it. I was losing control and you put it squarely back in my hands. All I've heard for a week was complaining and criticism. In one hour, you've got them laughing and motivated again to give the best they have. I don't know how much they pay you, but it's not enough."

"I didn't do much, Robert." Ann laughed. "They did most of the work themselves. I learned that from an old used car salesman back home. He told me it was too much work selling cars so he lets the clients sell to themselves."

"Well, however you did it, I appreciate it. Can I count on you to keep an eye on things so we don't miss a step again?"

"Sure. It's not a big deal. I'll be around."

In the next days, she spent half her time going from office to laboratory, more often than not simply watching and listening. Sometimes she would ask a leading question, but she never interfered directly.

She had to add more chairs to her office as now members of two team sometimes stopped by for a chat. When people from different teams were there at the same time, she had no qualms about asking the opinion of a member of a different team on a question. As she told them, they weren't in competition, so why not pick each other's brains.

Wednesday afternoon, Jean-Marc, the leader of the biggest team, specialized in large scale construction projects, stopped by Ann's office to know what the big idea was to tell everyone it was okay to drop in on his people and bother them with silly questions.

Ann had him sit down and asked what kind of silly questions he was talking about. He sputtered a bit, then said that his people were wasting time answering those questions. She then asked him what his people did when they had a question with no immediate answer. When he answered that they researched it or asked the best qualified person for the information, she asked what the purpose of the Special Projects Division was. As he was thinking about his answer, he started and smiled sheepishly.

"I'm being an ass here, aren't I?" He grinned.

"Not at all, Jean-Marc. You were only focused on your project and you forgot that the whole division is a reference center because we have the best of the best in each engineering field. Think of all the time your people will save if all they have to do is walk to another part of the floor and get the answer they are looking for immediately. And think of all the ideas those exchanges will spark in your team members."

"You're right, of course. I lost sight of the big picture. Thanks for reminding me."

"Not a problem Jean-Marc. Stop by anytime you have a question you think I can help with or if you only want to shoot the breeze."

"I will. Thank you again and have a nice week-end."

When Anne-Marie came by to see if she was ready to leave, she was surprized to find Ann with her feet propped on the corner of her desk, hands behind her head, just staring at the ceiling, a big smile illuminating her features.

Anne-Marie stretched lazily. She would have preferred to have a warm body to cuddle against, but it was a minor disappointment she could easily live with if it meant having Ann in her life.

The smell of fresh brewed coffee induced her to hurry with her morning ablutions.

St-Jean-Baptiste Day being an important day for Quebecers, everybody would be getting ready for family parties or driving to the many parties or concerts organized in most towns.

They had wanted to invite Ann's friends and former roommates for supper, but they all had commitments of their own already. Ryanna and Julia would be in St-Jovite for the mega family celebration. Ann and Anne-Marie had been invited, but they hadn't committed.

They had decided to settle in for a quiet day instead.

Coffee mug in hand, Anne-Marie went to the basement office where she was almost certain to find her girlfriend. She frowned when she saw the three screens set-up in full work mode. One of two lateral screen showed what looked like a company website, the other a spreadsheet.

She made her way quietly to stand behind Ann so as not to startle her. She let out a sigh of relief when Ann swiveled her chair and opened her arms to her.

"Good morning, love." Ann said before kissing her. "You don't have to pussyfoot. I know better than to go in full work mode when you're not here with me."

"I know, my love. What are you doing?"

Anne-Marie in her lap, Ann turned back to the screens.

"You remember you said you... Ouch! Okay. We should invest in real estate and that Sylvie's family had a company. So, I was researching it. You were right. It's sound and looks healthy. Since it's not a public company, their statement of accounts is not available and I didn't want to hack their system, but from the numbers on their website, I like them. Also, your idea may have come at an opportune time. There is nothing specific, but there are hints that they are getting ready for some kind of expansion. Either they can do it with their own cash reserves, they can capitalize on their equity, or they are looking for investors. It's not clear."

"That's another reason to speak to Karlie sooner rather than later. Should I call her? She must be at the house in St-Jovite."

"Today? It's St-Jean-Baptiste Day. It's a holiday."

"So? Most parties are later in the day if not in the evening. I'm sure she's available this morning if only to set up an appointment for another day."

"Let me drop an email to Sylvie so she can ask Karlie to call us. And while we wait for her answer, I'll make breakfast. How about some fresh waffles made from scratch?"

"I thought I'd eat something else, but I suppose I can settle for second best and burn those calories with dessert." Anne-Marie pouted.

"Or we could built up our appetites first." Ann teased, running her hands on the squirming body in her arms.

"Hummm... That's a plan, my love."

"WHAT?" Ann barked into the phone. "Oh. Hello Karlie. Hum, can I call you back in a few minutes? Ouch! In an hour or two? You're at the house in St-Jovite? All right. I'll talk to you then."

Karlie guffawed as she set the receiver down. She looked at Sylvie who was lounging on the couch in Patricia's arms.

"Either they haven't heard of voicemail or she answered by reflex." She said.

"Why do you think I won't have a phone in the bedroom?" Patricia asked rhetorically.

"Ann said she'd call later." Karlie said. "What do you think this is about?" She asked. "It can't be to accept our invitation to the party or she wouldn't have asked for me specifically."

"John told me she hasn't signed her contract yet." Sylvie told her. "She had something else on her mind the last time she was here to see you. Maybe that's it."

"I suppose so. I wanted to go see her at the office, but I've been running around these last few weeks and haven't found the time."

"We'll see. Why don't you join us?"

"Later, if you don't mind. I need to look over the purchase contract for the hundred acres we want one last time. Mr. Lebeau will be here this afternoon with his lawyer and I want to make sure everything is in order."

"He's willing to work on St-Jean-Baptiste Day?" Patricia asked.

"He flew in yesterday to celebrate with his family later today and he's flying back to Florida tomorrow. I'll take him whenever he's available. It was either that or fly to meet him down South and you know how I hate to fly."

"Poor baby." Sylvie grinned. "Run along then. This means the first critical step will be done. We're committed now. How is it going with the investors?"

"I made quiet overtures to a few, but they want me to open our books to them and I'm loath to do that. We don't want to go public for many reasons and this is one of the most important. I'll deal with Mr. Lebeau first, then I'll concentrate on the next step. Push comes to shove, we will capitalize on our equity and finance the expansion ourselves. It will mean pushing back the project almost a year, though."

"If that's what we have to do, we can live with it. As long as we have the land, the rest will follow in its own time." Sylvie told her.

"I know. It's just that I found a contractor I think would be perfect for our needs. He has a good reputation and he does commercial as well as residential. He's almost done with a housing development and I was hoping to book him before he begins another project."

"You see? Everything falls into place. Don't give yourself an ulcer over imaginary problems. Things will happen when they are due to happen." Patricia told Karlie.

"That's right." Sylvie added. "Check the contract one last time, then go see Jade at the Community Center. She's helping Pierre with the barbecue. He insisted on a fire pit to roast the pig and lamb for the méchoui tonight."

"You mean she's getting in the way under the pretext of controlling the children." Karlie smiled fondly. "We'll have to get the girl pregnant soon or she'll take over the daycare center."

Ann and Anne-Marie had just got off the highway when a police car pulled behind them and signaled for them to pull over.

The women had taken off their helmets and were looking at each other, wondering what was wrong. Anne-Marie did a double take when she saw the officer get out of his car. When he arrived beside them, she looked up and up and up. The man was a giant.

"Good afternoon ladies." He said in a jovial booming voice. "You can put your papers away, you did nothing wrong. I'm here to escort you to the rally point for the parade."

"What parade, sir?" Ann asked. "We're here to visit some friends."

"The St-Jean-Baptiste parade, of course." He laughed. "Please follow me. Your friends will explain everything."

He drove before them with lights flashing. When they passed the shopping center on the outskirts of St-Jovite, at least thirty motorcycles pulled out of the parking lot and followed them. Two of these pulled beside them. Ryanna and Julia were in the passenger saddles.

"Hi there, girls!" Julia shouted over the revving engines. "Surprise! We were afraid you'd be too late."

"You have some explaining to do." Ann shouted back.

"Wait until we get to the rally point."

The police car led them to a side street behind the Town Hall where five gaily decorated floats, a few convertible cars and some pick-ups with chairs in the back waited. A school marching band was tuning its instruments. There were Quebec flags everywhere.

Ann laughed and Anne-Marie gawked. Ann hadn't seen a St-Jean-Baptiste parade since she was a child and this was completely new to Anne-Marie.

Ryanna explained that the parade had been kept alive in this community. It used to be much bigger, but the tradition lived on.

"Take off your leathers. It will be much too hot." Julia told them.

"Is there a place we can change?" Anne-Marie asked. "We only have our bathing suits under them. We expected to change at your house."

"That's all right. All the girls will be wearing bathing suit tops. We know you need to wear pants because of the hot engines, but take your jackets off."

Without further ado, Ryanna and Julia stripped their t-shirts off. They took the women's jackets, helmets and overnight bags to the giant police officer's car.

"Cousin Roger will bring them to the house later." Ryanna explained. "Don't worry. He's the Chief. Nobody would dare touch your stuff in his car."

"I wouldn't, that's for sure." Anne-Marie agreed emphatically.

Soon, the bikes were separated into groups, mixed with the floats and vehicles carrying waving notables.

One of the flatbeds had a hospital bed with a patient wrapped like a mummy. Beside the bed, a clown doctor waved an enormous red hammer with which he regularly hit the bed's occupant over the head. Some of the nurses were wearing a very sexy model of greens. Others had dug up nurses uniforms from past generations.

On the last float, Jade was sitting with a young child on her lap, Karlie beaming at her side. He had beautiful curly blond hair. He seemed to have a great time as he waved at the crowd.

The parade crossed the town and made its way to the compound where it followed the curved streets. As they passed the house, Sylvie and Patricia waved at them all. They were wearing colorful sarongs and bikini tops. Ryanna and Julia almost toppled the Harleys as they jumped up and down.

Eventually, the parade ended at the Community Center where it split, many going back to town while the rest stayed. The marching band played Gens du Pays, the unofficial national anthem, and everyone sang Gilles Vigneault's famous anthem. When they were done, they piled on the floats for the ride back into town.

All in all it was a happy celebration and everyone had a lot of fun.

Later, when everyone had changed to the lightest apparel still decent for the neighbors' sake, they sat in the backyard in the shade of a mature elm tree, sipping ice cold freshly squeezed lemonade.

They chatted for a while in a convivial atmosphere. It wasn't the politely contrived atmosphere where guests were made to feel welcome. Ann and Anne-Marie felt completely at home.

"So, what can I do for you?" Karlie asked after a while. "Do you want me to explain the hiring contract?"

Ann looked at Anne-Marie and nodded. Since it was her money, Ann had insisted she make at least the first approach.

"If you have some free time, it would be a good idea, but we wanted your input on a project we have. Last Sunday, we were talking about the future and where we wanted to live, among other things. I have some money placed in various safe investment funds. The market being what it is, the return is not great, but I haven't been in a position to manage things in recent years as you know." She looked in Ryanna and Julia's direction.

"She doesn't know, Anne-Marie." Ryanna told her gently. "She's our wife, but you are our patient. What you tell us as your therapists is confidential. I thought that was understood."

"I'm sorry. I thought..." Anne-Marie hesitated.

Ryanna went to her and took her hands in hers. "Lovely Anne-Marie, we would never break your confidence... or Ann's." She added quietly so only the two women could hear her. "No, Ann, she didn't say anything. She's just worried about something concerning you. If you wish to speak with us about it, we are available whenever you need us. Feel free, though. We won't push if it's something you want to keep private."

Ann looked away from Julia who was kneeling by her chair, holding her hands too. With misty eyes, she reached to Anne-Marie and nodded. "If it's okay with everyone, we'll stay here tonight so we can get together and talk privately."

When they ended their tender group hug, they saw that the others had moved away to give them privacy. Anne-Marie got teary eyed as she compared these wonderful women to her own cold and calculating family. Ann reached and gently pulled her to her lap and in her embrace. Ryanna and Julia joined them.

"You are not alone anymore, Anne-Marie." Julia told her. "You have a family of your own with Ann and you have friends who love you dearly. Always remember this."

"I know." Anne-Marie said in a quivering voice. "I know. It's a bit overwhelming at times. That's all."

"Do you want to continue your discussion with Karlie or would you prefer to lie down for a bit?" Julia asked when Anne-Marie had settled.

"If it's okay, I think I'd like to lie down, please." She answered.

"Of course, dear. You can take the same room you had last time."

Anne-Marie looked at Ann. At her nod, she went on. "Would you... would you mind joining us?" She asked Ryanna and Julia softly.

"We would be honored, Anne-Marie." Julia answered taking her hand as Ryanna took Ann's.

As they walked into the house, Anne-Marie asked if they could take a shower to get rid of the sweat from the afternoon in the sun. Ryanna suggested they use the second floor bathroom if they didn't mind sharing it with Julia and her.

"I don't mind. Do you, my love." Anne-Marie asked Ann as she wiggled under Julia's arm, still holding her girlfriend's hand.

"If you're all right with it, love, I certainly don't mind sharing a shower with two more beautiful women."

"That's settled then." Anne-Marie said. "Oh! I had forgotten how many stairs there were. Why isn't there an elevator in this house?"

She gave a dark look at Ryanna and Julia as they started laughing.

"Sorry, Anne-Marie. It's an old family joke." Ryanna told her.

Mollified, she held out her arms. "Won't one of you strong women carry me up?"

"I'll take care of this, girls." Ann said and laughed as Anne-Marie raced up the stairs, squealing. "You've got to admit it is a delicious ass."

"Indeed it is." Julia said admiringly. "Did you say that on purpose so she'd run ahead of us?"

"It's a young family joke, Julia." Ann laughed.