The Hunter's Companions Ch. 16

Story Info
The trio faces trials of a different kind.
14.3k words
4.73
6.8k
0

Part 16 of the 17 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 08/31/2012
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I can't believe you didn't tell me!"

Belcarm's anger resurfaced as soon as their bedroom door was shut behind them.

"With everything that's been going on lately it was honestly the last thing on my mind," Livinia said, hands held up in front of her. "I'm sorry Bel, I really am."

"It would have taken one minute Liv! All you had to do was tell me and that's it!"

Livinia could understand Belcarm's anger, she truly could. She could only begin to imagine the way it would feel to find out the person you love is betrothed to another. The more that she thought about it, the more she thought that Belcarm might feel the same way that she felt when she found out about it the first time.

"It is just one of those formalities Belcarm, that's all. If I didn't do it Kalendras would have either had to wed that stupid cow or have to live the rest of his life alone."

"And I would have no problem with either of those outcomes!" Belcarm snapped back.

Livinia's eyes widened and she crossed her arms over her chest. Belcarm met her look of shock with his own stubborn glare. Livinia was tempted to smack that stubborn look off his face. Despite his harsh words Livinia knew that Belcarm had come to begrudgingly respect Kalendras and she was sure that, in a different situation, he wouldn't wish that upon his comrade.

"So now what, you fuck him and then you are married?" Belcarm asked.

"Bel, it's not that simple-"

"That's right. He still has to ask the council, right? Well, once they've given their blessings you'll be free to become mates and then you won't need me around any more."

"Belcarm!" Livinia gasped. Belcarm continued to glare at her. "Don't do this. You know I love you. This Peh'ahroon is just a complication. Whatever happens between myself and Kalendras changes nothing; I love you both equally, titles aside."

Livinia took a step closer to her irate lover and reached out, putting a hand on his shoulder gently.

"So what if the Tauren council decides to grant you the right to be his mate?" Belcarm asked, eyes glittering with a peculiar mix of anger and hurt.

Livinia took a deep breath. That was something she was unsure of herself. As she'd told him; so much had happened in the past few weeks that she hadn't had time to think about it.

"I don't know Bel, I really don't," Livinia said, shoulders falling in defeat. "Part of me thinks that it isn't really a big deal, you know? Neither Kalendras or I would gain anything more from it being official than the right to call each other mate. Either way it's just a title."

Livinia took her hand of Belcarm's shoulder and looked around their room. It was slowly getting dark and she was getting tired. This line of conversation was emotionally draining and she really didn't have the energy for it.

"It would be the same if you and I were to marry. Nothing would change for me apart from the fact that I would call you husband," Livinia's voice was resigned now, and she could feel the beginnings of a head ache threatening to turn into something bigger.

"And would you marry me if I asked you to?" Belcarm asked, his voice cracked, suddenly he sounded less angry and more vulnerable. The change of tone in the conversation swept Livinia off her feet. She looked back at him, eyebrows arched.

"It's like I said Belcarm, if we did get married nothing would change, not in my heart."

Livinia's heart pounded as Belcarm's gaze locked onto her own. They both knew that she hadn't answered his question properly, but Livinia said how she truly felt.

"Would marrying me change the way you feel about me?" Livinia asked.

"No." Belcarm's response was firm and immediate. Livinia just shrugged in response and now it was his turn to cross his arms over his broad chest.

"I'm going to bed," Livinia said gently. She got to her toes and placed a chaste kiss on his lips before turning and walking towards the adjoined bathing room. She rung the bell pull and waited for some hot water to be brought up to her. As she waited she tried to think about anything but the peh'aroon.

Livinia had a lot of trouble getting to sleep that night. Belcarm hadn't returned to their room until later. When he slipped into bed she remained facing away from him and pretended to sleep, not wanting to get into another frustrating discussion. After a few moments she felt his lips press against her cheek before he turned and settled into sleep.Livinia pulled away from Belcarm and turned to face the opposite direction. Once his breathing had turned slow and measured, Livinia's mind turned to other dramas. Mitrae's trial would be the next morning and Livinia found it difficult to doze off with the knowledge that d that he could be found innocent and released. The thought of him having his freedom made her sick, and she knew that if she tried to get justice she would be the one to end up in jail. With a deep sigh she tried to put thoughts of the verdict out of her mind, whatever would come the next day was out of her hands. It wasn't until Belcarm turned over and wrapped his arms around her protectively that she finally managed to drift off to sleep.

~*~

The following day Livinia hunted down her Aunt just after she and Belcarm had finished breakfast. Belcarm had excused himself, saying that he had to go and get some of his items repaired, but Livinia had a strong suspicion that he really just needed time to think about things. She couldn't blame him either. The situation was strange, and something that none of the three of them could ever have imagined. They just had to figure out how to make it work as best as they could.

"There you are!" Livinia said as she walked into the office on the second story.

"Hmm?" Caristra looked up from a pile of parchment that she was thumbing through and smiled "Just doing a bit of paperwork," Caristra replied, putting the pile to the side and motioning to the vacant chair near the bookcase. "How are you feeling?"

"Good..." Livinia replied, sinking into the overstuffed arm chair. "Well, the cramps are gone... and speaking at the trial helped me to get things of my chest."

"That's good," Caristra said with an approving smile. "And you know that the verdict from Swiftspell's trial is today?"

"Oh yes," Livinia said with a nervous laugh "It's not far from my mind..." She sighed.

"Why don't you and Belcarm go and join your Guild Mates on a raid?" Caristra asked.

"Without Kal? No, it wouldn't feel right." Livinia replied, she'd already considered it. The idea of sinking some of her arrows into some thick flesh sounded highly therapeutic, but knowing that Kalendras was imprisoned in Thunder Bluff would dampen the satisfaction.

"His trial is in a couple of days isn't it?" Caristra asked.

"Yeah. The letter you gave me yesterday was from one of the Tauren Elders requesting that Bel and I attend."

"Do you want me to come along for moral support?"

"Well, I wouldn't mind actually. I think it would be good to have you there. Will the elders allow you in though?" Livinia said with a shrug, her aunt laughed.

"It shouldn't be any trouble."Caristra said dismissively "I have some good connections in Thunder Bluff."

"Did you come to Mitrae's trial?" Livinia asked, her cheeks flushing a deep red.

"No, I couldn't, I hope you'll forgive me for not being there. Unfortunately I have dealt with bastards like Mitrae before- I had no inclination to recall my own memories about events such as those. Plus, I find it comforting to know that there is always someone who doesn't know exactly what you've been through- gives you a bit of space."

Livinia looked at her Aunt with her eyebrows knitting together. Her aunt had been through a similar situation before? She had no idea.

"When you say that you've dealt with bastards like Mitrae-"

"When I was new to my business," Caristra said with a sad smile "I got a bit careless. I was gone for two weeks before your mother alerted authorities." Livinia gasped in horror.

"How did you deal with it?" Livinia asked in a small voice.

"Much the same way you are. Except I didn't have two lovely gentlemen to help me through it. You are doing well Liv. I won't lie and say that you'll forget all about it, but in time the pain will dull and you'll be able to go for weeks at a time without thinking about it... But come, you didn't seek me out to talk about me?" Livinia laughed and shook her head.

"No, actually, I was hoping for some advice," Livinia said heavily, Caristra's perfectly shaped eyebrows rose high and her face was a picture of curiosity.

"Of course Liv, I'm always willing to offer any tidbits of wisdom."

"Well, after the Diplomat's Ball Kal and I ended up in Thunder Bluff and I discovered that his Peh'ahroon had already happened and that he was already betrothed. I, quite impulsively, challenged his future mate... I won the challenge and therefore the right to be his mate and, if Baine agrees, we'll be classed as married in the Tauren culture when we have sex next."

"Oh my," Caristra said with a symptathetic but amused smile. Liv sighed heavily. "And what does Belcarm know of all of this?"

"He found out yesterday, and not in the best way. I hadn't had a chance to tell him and Kal let it slip when we were talking," Livinia replied, "He's angry, and I completely understand, but I just don't know what to do."

Caristra looked at Livinia thoughtfully.

"What do you want to do?"

"I still want them. Both of them. I know that next time I'm with Kal we'll become mates, but it doesn't mean I love Belcarm any less."

"Of course it doesn't. Though I don't imagine Belcarm feels that way?"

"No, he doesn't get it. I love him, I just don't know how to show him!"

Caristra got up from her chair and walked over to Liv. As she sunk into the lounge, her aunt pulled her into a hug.

"Just be there for him, be persistent," Caristra said gently, "It is all very fresh for him, he just needs time."

~*~

When Belcarm finally returned to their room he found that Livinia had fallen asleep in a deep bath. He tiptoed over and quietly his finger into the water, finding that it had cooled down, and wondered how long she had been in there for. With a smile he walked over to the cabinet in the room and pulled out a fresh cloth before he threw it over his shoulder. He then went back to the bath and stroked her cheek tenderly until she stirred. Her long red lashes fluttered open and her bright green eyes were staring at him.

"Oh crap!" She said, suddenly very alert and apparently just realizing that she had fallen asleep.

"Here, hop out."

Belcarm held the cloth out to her and had to suppress an appreciative groan as she stood up in the bath, water dripping in tantalizing rivulets down her body. Her firm breasts were peaked with erect nipples and her body was covered in tiny goosebumps. He longed to touch the smooth skin, but she stepped onto the floor beside him and wrapped the cloth around her body tightly, apparently oblivious to his stares.

She had always been like that. He had thought that he had been making his interest in her quite clear for years. He'd admired a lot of things about her for a long time; the look of determination and concentration in her eyes when she drew her bow, how she looked strong and invincible when she fought, how she was always ready to share a laugh, how she didn't have to try to make herself look beautiful. Belcarm also knew that he was drawn to her for another reason; she reminded him of his mother. Both his mother and Liv were strong and determined, but their hardened outser shell his a softer interior. When he had seen her tuck that arrow head into her pack all of those years ago he had seen the soft and sentimental side to her power and determination.

"You went for a long walk," She said, walking out of the bathing room and into their bed chamber.

"Yes. Almost as long as your bath it seems," He replied with a smile, she turned and shot him a challenging look.

"Did you find what you were looking for?" She asked him, fingering through the clothes in the wardrobe for something to wear.

"Actually, I did," He sighed, watching the way her muscles played as she made her choice, moving the sheet that clung to her in a delectable way. "You?" She laughed.

"Somewhere between the soap and falling asleep I must have relaxed a bit," She said with a grin and a shrug, using the cloth to rub her body dry, still completely oblivious to his attention. It was something that used to frustrate him to no end- that she seemed perfectly willing to dress in his presence.

It wasn't long after they had started adventuring together before he saw her naked for the first time, and quite by accident. When she had said that she was going to clean off in the river he had no idea that she intended to get completely nude. By the time he had realized she was naked he had already waded into the river with his linen pants still on, and he had not known how to react.

They had always slept close together out of practicality and often necessity. It was much easier to stay warm when their bodies were side by side. There were a number of times when he had woken wrapped around her, or with her leg splayed over his thighs. She never made much of it though, probably seeing it as a normal part of sleeping close to someone else, but it tormented Belcarm endlessly.

Of course there were several occasions when she had spent the night in the arms of another. For Belcarm these nights always seemed to coincide with the sudden and uncharacteristic desire to drown his sorrows in the bottom of a barrel. He never thought to tell her of his affection for her, he guessed that she knew and didn't care. When they had gone on their first raid together he had finally realized that she was just as oblivious to the attention of all males. It wasn't until he was introduced to Kalendras for the first time that he had seen her blush. The shade of pink was so beautiful on her face that he never stopped to wonder what had caused it. He understood now though.

"Have you heard from Silvermoon City yet?" She asked, breaking him out of his reverie. He shook his head, watching her brush her long red hair out carefully.

"Unfortunately not." He crossed the room and took the brush from her. He directed her to the edge of the bed and sat her down, brushing her hair for her. "I'm sure it won't be much longer."

There was a knock on the door and Livinia got to her feet and shrugged her shirt over her head before bending over and pulling her pants up. When she did Belcarm got a fantastic view of her well rounded arse and couldn't help but rub his hands over the firm skin. She laughed and batted his hand away playfully.

"Come in." She called out as she pulled her hair out of the neck of her tunic.

"Darlings, I trust I am not interrupting anything," Caristra begun, "But your father has arrived Belcarm, he wants to speak to both of you." Caristra gave Livinia a soft smile before turning and leaving the room, shutting the door behind herself quietly.

Livinia looked at Belcarm, her eyes flooded with worry.

"What if he says that Mitrae was found innocent?" She whispered quietly, so that only he could hear. "The politicians and high society in Silvermoon won't like seeing him condemned! And he has friends, lots of very powerful and very corrupt friends! Bel, I don't know if I could handle that. I-"

"Liv, stop!" Belcarm said softly, grasping her shoulders. "Whatever the judgment is it has already been made- there is nothing we can do to alter that." She frowned and looked up at him, taking deep breaths and trying to calm her nerves. "C'mon, let's go see what my father has to say."

~*~

"Guilty. He will be executed at sunrise tomorrow."

The words washed away all of Livinia's fear and replaced them with a strange sense of emptiness where she had expected to feel satisfaction.

"Can you repeat that please?" She requested, needing to hear it again. Aegon smiled at her, his face looking as young as his son's and easily as handsome.

"They found him guilty Livinia. Of both kidnapping and High Treason. Milent Goldentongue too. They will be executed by beheading at sunrise tomorrow," Aegon repeated, elaborating a little and making it even more real for her. "The Chief Justice has asked me to extend an invitation for the both of you to attend."

"Yes." Belcarm's reply was solemn.

"No," Livinia said at the same time Belcarm agreed to go. She and Belcarm looked at each other.

"What? Why not?" Belcarm was confused.

"It won't change anything. Plus I don't particularly want to see him again. Even if he is a head shorter."

Belcarm and Aegon looked at her with surprise on their faces, but Caristra smiled in understanding.

"You can go Bel, I don't mind, I just don't feel the need to."

"Well I'll think on it then," Belcarm said to his father.

"Okay, I'll pass the message on. I hate to do this, but I really have to go, I have a few things to attend to before I can call it in for the night," Aegon said, patting his son on the back affectionately.

"Do you mind if I accompany you back to Silvermoon, Father, I want to talk to you?" Belcarm asked.

"Of course not. I'd love to talk."

"I'll be back in about half an hour Liv." Belcarm said, planting a chaste kiss on her cheek before turning and leaving the hall.

"Now that the boys are gone," Caristra said with a loud clap, "I think it is time for the girls to play. What do you say we get out of the house for a while and get pleasantly drunk."

"But when Belcarm gets back-"

"I can get one of the staff members to pass on the message that we went out."

Livinia looked at her Aunt in amusement. She had barely been out of the house save for visiting Kalendras and going to Mitrae's trial, and the idea of escaping the restrictive, yet beautifully decorated, halls held a strong allure.

"Sure. Why the hell not?" Livinia laughed.

"There's my girl!" Caristra said, looping an arm though Livinia's and laughing as she dragged her towards the front door. As they walked across the threshold she told the butler that they wouldn't be back until late.

~*~

The next morning when Livinia woke up her head was pounding and the midday light was burning into her eyes, turning everything around her red. When her eyes adjusted and her vision cleared she saw Belcarm standing at the side of the bed with his arms crossed over his chest.

"You didn't get in until after five this morning! The sun went up just after you stumbled into bed! Do you have any idea how worried I was about you?" He growled, she shuddered at the loudness of his voice and buried her head under her pillow.

"We passed a message on to Faric!" Livinia moaned, wanting nothing more than to close her eyes and slip back to sleep.

"Yes, but I didn't expect you to stay out that late," Belcarm said, ripping the pillow off her head and throwing it on the end of the bed instead.

"If you are going to yell could you at least heal me first?" She asked. Belcarm laughed and the sound felt like pins being inserted into her eardrum.

"I thought there were some things that needed time to heal?" He asked pompously. Livinia had never wanted to punch him more than she did at that moment.

"Seriously Bel?" She groaned, sitting up slowly, her head spinning the entire way.

"There are some things that nature heals best," He said in what could only be described as a terrible imitation of her voice.

"If you aren't going to heal me then let me go back to sleep!" She whined, glaring at him. He held her stare for a moment before throwing his hands up in the air in resignation. He stepped closer to her and put his hands on her shoulders, closing his eyes and concentrating for a moment. Her entire body was filled with pleasant warmth and the fogginess and pain in her head receded. When he stepped away from her she gave him her most charming smile.