The Sultanah Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I crashed hard onto my back on the marble floor. I felt all of the wind go out of me and my head swim. Every inch of my body screamed out with pain and I coughed uncontrollable. I lay flat on my back. The remaining assassin now straddled my hips and I felt his dirty black pants scratching at my stomach and my cock. He had one hand flat on the ground next to my head and the other was rising in an arc above my head.

"So there you are you bitch, cock and all!" the man roared as his arm began to swing down. I realized what he was doing. My right hand was pinned against my side by but I lift my left hand. I tried to grab the man's wrist, to stop the fall of his blade, which was aimed at my chest. I miscalculated the distance. His blade continued to fall and my palm was in no position to catch his wrist.

But I was successful in defending myself. I felt a sudden sharp pain followed by a powerful punch. The pain was incomprehensible; it was so intense that I was almost unable to feel it. Instead, I saw it. The assassin's blade had pushed through the center of my palm. I could see the thin blade poking out of the back of my hand, the blade just a few short inches from my breast. Blood was pouring from my hand.

"Gunes help me!" I moaned, "fuck!" The shock was wearing off quickly and I could feel pain rising in my palm. All of my fingers felt completely powerless and my entire left arm felt like it was on fire.

"Fucking bitch, give it up! No time for ritual, just the deed!" the assassin screamed at my face, spit flecking off his moldering teeth. He wrenched the knife quickly out my hand. The pain tripled and I closed my eyes and bit my lip. My hand flopped back worthlessly onto my chest. I could feel the blood dripping down my breasts and ribs.

I opened my eyes again and looked up at the assassin. He was once again lifting the knife. I had no hands to defend myself now. The adrenaline rush I had been moving on faded from me now. The room seemed to grow darker. I was no longer reacting without thought. I looked at the man sitting on top of me. My bowels became watery and my heart felt like it stopped. I was about to die. This man would plunge his knife into my heart or my brain and I would cease to exist. I didn't have time to think of all of the political, familial, and social ramifications of my death. I just knew I, the person, Varis, was going to die. I felt tears rise in the corner of my eyes.

"Who sent you? Why are you doing this to me?" I choked out quickly. The man's hand froze for a moment.

"I don't owe you answers bitch!" he said.

"You take my life, you owe me an answer," I said, my voice sounding more pleading than defiant. Perhaps it was because I was young and beautiful, or because I was naked and pitiful. But the man paused a moment longer.

"The rightful ruler of the Empire, the strongest male descended of the Hanedan Dynasty sends me. Lo..." the man began to say a name. But at that instant he voice was stopped. I felt a spray of liquid against my face, hot and oily. The man was looking down at me, confused. The knife dropped harmlessly from his hand. It was only then that I noticed the spearpoint sticking through the man's throat. He let out a strange croaking sound and fell to the side. Saygili stood behind him, looking down at me with terror and confusion in his eyes.

"Sultanah!?" he said nervously, "are you alright?" I was too confused to answer and my eyes went out of focus.

* * * * *

A short time later I stormed into the throne room. The room was packed with the various lords. More had arrived in recent weeks with the lifting of the siege. Men who had managed to flee had come back to take their rightful place in the planning of the war. There were almost too many lords; we would soon have to more to the Kongre - the parliament building, to accommodate everyone.

Of course, logistical issues for future meetings with the Peers were hardly on my mind. My entire body felt like it was on fire. That fire seemed to emanate from my aching left hand. When I had awakened a few minutes earlier, I had found Cin sitting next to me on the floor in my chambers, carefully cleaning and wrapping my wound. She had used all the powers of her craft and explained that the knife had slid between, rather than through, bones. The dressing was skillfully done and the prayers to Gunes seemed quite effective, but the pain remained as I approached my throne.

"All rise for..." a herald began.

"Enough!" I said loudly, cutting him off. I saw heads of several Peers look up in surprise. I slight murmur went through the crowd. I didn't care. I was in no mood for ceremony. As I climbed the stairs to the top of the throne, I thought briefly about how I had made it there.

When I had awakened from my faint, my assassins had already been drug from the room. Blood had already been cleaned and my body was slightly damp with water and wrapped in a blanket. Cin had already ordered the assassins heads to be cleaved from their bodies and displayed on the palace. I did not countermand the order. In fact, I ordered that their cocks be severed and stuffed in each other's mouths for good measure. Let anyone and everyone know that I knew what had happened.

I spoke briefly with Saygili. He felt intensely guilty that men had managed to enter my room. He had offered his resignation and even his life. I had been too dazed to even consider it. Before I regained my composure, Cin had determined that the men had climbed through the window on the balcony side of my room. That meant that the guards below, and not Saygili in the hallway, were at fault. Further, he had rushed in at the slightest hint of danger and saved my life. He seemed relieved when I declined to take his job or his life. In fact, I thanked him and told him to conduct an investigation.

It was then I noticed Arkadas was not present, Cin quickly explained that she was being taken to her own quarters to recuperate, but that she was unharmed. From the moment I had awakened on the floor, I had been in a sort of confused daze. For some reason, the news regarding Arkadas drew me back out of it. I felt my cheeks growing hot and my heart begin to thump irregularly. A white, hot flash of anger had burst into my skull. Arkadas was alive. But that had been no sure thing just a few minute earlier. I did not even want to consider how close I had come to leaving the world. Someone had broken into my home, presumably the safest place in the castle. They had questioned my authority, gazed upon my naked form, threatened my life and the life of one that I loved, and I had no idea who had done it. Or why such a heinous act had been considered.

"You must rest now Sultanah," Cin said. She looked visibly shaken as she put on the last of the bandage around my hand. I felt more than a little angry at Cin. Apparently, Gunes had not bothered to tell her about the attempt on my life. "I will inform the lords that you will not be available for the meeting..."

"No!" I said forcefully. My voice did not quaver and I felt none of the human weakness I had experienced when the assassins dagger had been lifted above my head. I was not just Varis, I was the Sultanah. This disrespect demanded retribution, "I will not cower because my enemies desire that I cower. I allowed myself to believe that the end of the siege meant that I was out of danger. But I sleep on top of a wasps nest. I must remain ever vigilant."

With those words I stood quickly, letting the blanker fall from my body. Only Cin and I remained in the room, guards and others having been shuffled out quickly. I dressed quickly while Cin tried to convince me to rest. She did not plead, but she came as close as I imagined was possible for one with her level of poise. I had barely listened to what the priestess had to say. Instead, I quickly prepared myself and walked quickly to the throne room.

Now I had reached the top of my throne and was looking out over my Peers. The anger that had welled inside of me had not subsided. In fact, it had risen to new heights during the walk. Cin had walked behind me as I traveled and attempted to calm me. I had ignored her. As I sat now, I saw that she had quietly slipped into the throne room behind me and was standing in the corner, looking at me nervously. I knew she wanted to remonstrate with me further, but it would no longer be proper. She needed to protect my dignity here.

"Peers," I began calmly and I watched as the various lords looked at me intently, "as I lay in my bed this night an attempt was made on my life," I said calmly, my lips pinching as I spat out each word. Murmurs of surprise filled the room and I saw Peers turning and speaking to one another. Some of them looked absolutely terrified, others shocked, and a disturbing number appeared disappointed. I raised my hand and the men became silent.

"I killed one of my would-be assassins with my own hands. The other was slain by my faithful guard, Saygili. I will be nominating him for the position of Constable of Şehir in recognition of his service." There was some tentative applause for Saygili and a lot of confusion in the room. No one knew what to think. This was not the way I normally conducting business and the situation was exceedingly strange. The Peers were uncertain. My heart was hammering and my mouth was dry, but I knew what I wanted to say. To Hell with their expectations.

"His first task in that role will be to hunt down the men who attempted to take my life and ensure that they face the same justice that befell their incompetent assassins!" I called out. "Whether that person is King Sican" Then I dropped my voice lower and leaned forward slightly, "or someone in this room." I let my voice hang in the air. I stared out at my Peers. Many squirmed uneasily. They had been prepared for a mundane, perhaps even pleasant meeting. They were unprepared to feel my wrath. And they did not like the accusation of treachery. But I felt it warranted.

I suspected that the assassin's pay master was in the room. I did not fault Saygili for killing the assassin when he did. But I regretted I could not hear the full name of the assassins paymaster before he fell. The assassin had only uttered "Lo..." I assumed that he was beginning to refer to a "Lord." He would not have referred to King Sican or any of my other rivals as a Lord. All of the men in this room could claim some Hanedan blood, so there was no telling who believed he had the greatest claim to my throne. But I suspected them all. This suspicion had stoked my anger and led me, hot, into the throne room.

"I offer no reward for information regarding the assassins. I do not want you sharpening knives and settling old scores with wild speculation. Just know that if I determine the identity of my attacker and learn that any man, though innocent of that crime, was aware of the killer, that I will offer equal punishment. Death to all traitors," I said. Several men cheered this sentiment, but far more looked uncomfortable. They glanced at their mates with suspicion. I wondered if I was unintentionally (and unnecessarily) dividing my nobles against themselves in a time of war. I began to wonder if rushing into the room angry had been a strong strategic move. My anger cooled slightly and I had a strange feeling of wondering what I was doing.

"Do you have any leads on the identity of this person?" One lord, Katılmak, asked. I knew this lord to be a Loyalist. I suspected he was merely trying to help in the apprehension of the attempted murderer. But his words triggered a realization. I recognized the possible trap in answering. Casting suspicion in any way could be dangerous. It could implicate an innocent man. Or it could drive a guilty man to even more desperate action. If the assassin felt he had nothing left to lose, could I ever sleep soundly again? I felt my anger flagging further. I began to wonder what I was doing in this seat and addressing these men in such circumstances. An assassination attempt showed me to be weak. My reaction to it was showing me to be weaker. I had not shown my wrath, I was showing my fear.

"The Sultanah," Cin suddenly spoke, before I had a chance to respond, "cannot answer specifics. The guards may wish to withhold information for future interrogations. I can say that the Sultanah has already seen herself several clues that point outside these walls. She suspects firmly that someone connected with King Sican is, in some way, involved. She brings this matter to your attention only to gain your valuable aid." She said and looked up at me. Clearly, Cin had sensed the same dangers I had discovered. I had come into the room angry and allowed possibly damaging information loose. I had also caused discord amongst the nobles.

"Yes, Cin is correct," I said quickly, "I apologize if my words indicated something different. It has been a stressful time. I thank you all sincerely for attending the meeting and appreciate your many fervent prayers for my safety, which were surely answered last night." I felt the last of my anger draining from me now. It was replaced by worry. If my attacker was in the room, he knew that he had nearly succeeded, that I suspected the nobles, and that I was shaken. Even if my assassin was not present, it was possible his spies were. In venting my anger, I had allowed too much to slip. I needed to control myself. Perhaps Cin had foretold this eventuality, perhaps that was why she had tried to stop me. Whatever ill will I felt towards her dissipated now.

"This meeting will be rescheduled for another day. The Sultanah must attend to other, pressing matters. She apologizes for any inconvenience in your unnecessary attendance," Cin said. The Peers rose at this announcement, saluted me, and then made there was from the chamber. I heard them whispering strangely to one another as they left, but could not discern the content of their speech.

After several minutes, the throne room doors closed and the room was empty saved for Cin and me. I hung my head in my hands and let out a low groan. I had committed a grievous error. And had nearly made a graver one. I looked down at Cin and shook my head.

"How goes the search for a wife?" I asked after a few moments. If Cin was surprised by this question, she hid it well. I suppose the logic followed clearly. Now that my anger had subsided, I was able to rationally consider the events of the day. I had nearly been murdered. If I had died, the dynasty would have collapsed. My Empire's situation was exceptionally perilous.

"The second group of messengers are returning sporadically," she explained. After the siege was lifted, I had sent out more messengers, seeking a dynastic match. Rather than limit ourselves, as we had been forced to do during the siege, we had send messengers everywhere. Well, everywhere where we were not at war. That included sending additional messengers to states we had already appealed. This was because Cin's prediction had come true and many of our initial messengers had been captured and killed.

"And?" I asked hopefully, but not really feeling it.

"As of yet, no luck," she said, "Most, though not all, of the responses are respectful. But no King or even Duke has yet offered his daughter as your wife."

"Have we heard back from Venedik?" I asked hopefully, "They are ruled by a Doge, not a King. He is elected rather than ordained to his throne. Perhaps he will be flattered that a Sultanah desires his daughter."

"We have not heard yet," Cin said, but she did not sound optimistic. It was looking increasingly unlikely that I would ever find a wife. Therefore, I needed to live a long life. My actions that day had made a long life slightly less likely. I needed to be more cautious in the future.

"I apologize Cin," I said, "You provided wise counsel and I ignored it."

"My Lady, you were pushed to the edge. Anyone could make that mistake. We mitigated as well as can be expected. So long as we do no follow it with additional mistakes, the memory should fade quickly in the minds of your Peers. A minor oversight." She said, but I could tell she was simply trying to limit my anxiety.

"I must go back to my chambers and consider how to correct this. I must make a plan and put it in motion..." I began.

"Sultanah," Cin said, interrupting me gently, "Might I make a suggestion?" I sat up straight in my chair. After foolishly ignoring Cin earlier, I was even more determined now to take her sage advice.

"Many men want the seat upon which you sit," she stated flatly. I snorted and nodded.

"I am quite aware," I said, looking at the throne and shaking my head.

"Why?" Cin asked. I knitted my brow.

"I..." I began, but Cin cut me off again.

"Is it to make plans? To face danger? To weigh each word against the other? To be constantly on edge? Is this what men desire?" she asked. I was confused by where she was going I shrugged my shoulders.

"They want my power," I asked more than stated.

"Yes power. But not only power. Power gives birth to two unequal children. One is responsibility. You know this well. But the other is privilege," She explained.

"Cin, I do not follow your meaning..." I responded.

"I believe that you focused too intently on the responsibilities of your power. This is partially because of the exigencies of your ascension, partially because of your temperament, and partially because of my prodding," she explained. She walked closer to me, placing her foot on the first step of the throne and looked up at me, "You were quick to anger today, not that you weren't provoked. But you have been notably in control of yourself since you took the throne. I believe you have been pushed too hard, grappled too firmly with responsibility. You are dealing with wars and sieges. Diplomacy and marriage. Food and water. Enemies within and without. You sleep little and worry often. It drove you to make a mistake. Perhaps an opportunity to...indulge in the privileges of power will calm you and set you on a more even keel."

"Cin, I do not understand what you are saying. We must get to work," I stated. This was no time for riddles. I had to protect myself.

"If you trust me...follow me," Cin said and she headed for the door.

* * * * *

Half an hour minutes later we were standing in a corridor deep in the bowels of the palace that I had never been to before. There were no windows so deep and the gray stones in the narrow passage looked orange in the flickering torchlight. Cin had silently rebuffed all of my questions as we had wended our way downstairs and through narrow passages for a long period of time. She would only sporadically state that I should continue to follow her. Eventually, I had grown quiet, focusing only on ensuring that my feet fell safely as well climbed down narrow, spiraling staircases and crouched over in low passages.

Finally, Cin came to a stop in a spot directly in the middle of the narrow, dark corridor in which we had been walking for several minutes. She looked around with a satisfied gaze. I stopped as well and tried to follow the direction of her eyes. After a few moments, I grew confused.

"Why have we stopped?" I asked.

"We have arrived," she responded. I took the opportunity to look around again and saw nothing of interest.

"This is just a spot in the middle of a dank corridor. It has nothing to do with privilege that I can see. Other than the Sultanah's privilege to explore all parts of her palace, including the most boring and unpleasant areas." Cin laughed and smiled at me indulgently.

"Fine, no more games then," she said, "You will soon be eating your words," she said. With that, Cin reached forward and grabbed the base of one of the torches lighting the corridor. She gave it a gentle tug, pulling down gently. It seemed to move as if on a hinge. I heard a low rumbling sound and braced myself against the wall, wondering what Cin's magic had accessed. I noticed that the wall in front of me was shaking. Suddenly, a spot in the wall seemed to fall apart at the seams. The wall...moved backwards! And I saw brightly light pouring out from the sudden hole in the wall. I shielded my eyes from the bright light.