The Sultanah Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
YKN4949
YKN4949
5,888 Followers

"Please, have a seat. It is a humble table, but it is what we have," she said, with significance placed on each word that tumbled from her mouth. I started to cross the room and made my way to the chair. My body moved in a slinky way that I hadn't necessarily intended. But I could not help, it felt right.

"Well then, let's talk about what you have. And what you want," I said as I sat down. I settled into my chair and sat facing Kukla. I did not speak; I decided to let her speak first. And first, she seemed content to wait, but eventually, she chose to speak first, obviously a little flattered by the recognition and excited by her sudden boon.

"Well," she said, "You claim that Hain and Sadik would bribe my husband with money and that Hain has more money. So you want someone other than Hain or Lord Örnek to be chancellor and you offer, what?" she asked.

"So you are familiar with the factions then?" I said. I had not mentioned that Lord Örnek was in Hain's camp. She was evidentially was. She looked at me thoughtfully for a moment.

"I don't think I have to pretend to be something I am not with you, is that right?" Kukla asked, her voice sounding a bit bold, a bit fresh. But I liked it.

"No, it is welcome," I said, "As for my offer...If it is just more money you wanted we wouldn't be talking right?"

"If you thought more money would do it, you would have just given it to Sadik. You don't think you can outbid Hain and you think you can do more. Further, and I say this will due respect to your position as Sultanah and with gratitude that you have come to offer me your congratulations, flattery will not be enough. You see how we live. Money can change that," she said. Now I felt like I was talking to the real Kukla. She had just gotten word of what was happening and she was already seeing the angles. She was sharper than even my sister realized. I smiled.

"Well I am Sultanah, I control levers that Hain might wish he could control," I said archly, "But most assuredly does not. Now."

"Like what?" Kukla said, leaning forward on the table, her breasts heaving inside of her tight corset as she did so. I ignored her looks.

"Well, the position on the Executive Assembly should come with additional awards, perhaps Keeper of the Privy Seal?" I said, using a suggestion I had received earlier. I didn't really know what I was going to offer Kukla, I had hoped she would give some inkling of what she wanted. This was just to test the waters. I knew there had to be something I could give her.

"That is a real position, with real power," she said.

"It is," I agreed.

"You think that lump of cow shit I am married to can handle that? If that is the kind of man you want in your administration, I am beginning to doubt your intelligence," she said boldly. No one had talked to me in that way since my elevation to the throne and I felt myself get hot. But I controlled myself, I had begun the frank exchange of ideas and I had to abide by it now.

"How about something more, ceremonial?" I said. She looked nonplussed and shrugged her shoulders disinterestedly.

"Sure, make him Admiral of the Desert, he won't know what it means anyway," she said. Clearly I was on the wrong track. My instincts had been right before, I needed to drop this and get back to more fruitful ground.

"Well, what about you?" I asked, "After all, that is why I am here. Those others will try to bribe your husband. I want to reason with you. It is clear that your husband has been...inadequate in providing for your needs. Perhaps a little independence would be helpful for you," I said.

"Anything you give me that man will find," she hissed, "He has only ever been good at two things: having noble blood and finding my money so he can piss it away." There was real bitterness in her voice and I felt my heart go to her slightly. It could not have been easy living in a place like this, with a man such as her husband, especially when he own mind was so clearly sharp. I reached forward slightly and grasped Kukla's hand. She almost pulled it back, but I held tight and she looked at me closely.

"Do not think that because I was born a Princess that I do not understand you," I said evenly, "It must be difficult, to have pulled yourself up with intelligence and beauty and to have married into a noble family with an ancient name, only to find that his blue blood had worn so thin that it was lower than yours." I could tell as I was speaking that she was growing riled. Her cheeks grew darker and her fists clenched. I was touching a nerve.

"I have never been ashamed of who I am," she said fiercely.

"And I do not expect you to be ashamed. I do not blame people for the accidents of birth. How could I?" I said and then looked down briefly, between my legs. Kukla caught the glance and I saw her sense my meaning, "Nor do I blame a woman for doing what is necessary to survive; it is what I do every day. And it is what the men in our lives are not burdened with understanding." I did not know if I was striking on the right vein. She was a tough woman to read and possibly too intelligent to allow me to gain her trust so quickly. But, then again, I was being sincere. Everything I said was true, even if I ultimately hoped it would get me what I wanted. Kukla gave me a hard look for several seconds, as though she were thinking about whether or not to tell me something. Finally, she let out a low sigh and spoke.

"I know what it is to be scorned, to be on the bottom, for something you cannot help Sultanah. I don't regret that I hear what they say about you, the wives especially, at court. But you should hear what they say about me. About my idiot husband. But the thing is, what they say is true. I am of common birth. I was poor. I did fuck an idiot to get a seat at the table. But I became the woman I am from eating garbage and sleeping in streets. Those women could not live for a minute in my shadow."

"I don't regret...what it took to make me the Sultanah, even if they hate and resent me for it," I said. She nodded slowly. I watched as her eyes slowly turned toward the door, leading into her children's room. I had an idea, and I pounced, "I just expected...I expected it to buy me some security. I exposed myself to the world, my real nature. Now you and all those ladies at court know my most private details. And I thought, once it was proven I deserved to be on the throne, that people would let me sit securely on it. But the lords don't respect me; they are trying to usurp the power that far worse Sultan's than I have accepted as their birthright. Because I am a woman. They are taking away my security." Kukla was listening, but her eyes were staring off as though she was thinking deeply.

"If I were a man as clever as I am, I would be in far different circumstances. I thought it meant something to be the wife of a nobleman. I thought it was a guarantee that I couldn't ever live like this again. That my children would never have to live like this. But my husband is so foolish that I cannot keep him in line. And whatever benefits he should be entitled to are denied him, because he married common street trash. He is already talking of mortgaging his property. If he dies without paying it off...my children will inherit nothing. It will all be for naught. They won't even really be considered noble." she said, sounding more angry than sad now. But I knew I was on the right track. I thought back to something I had heard earlier in the day.

"Are you familiar with Lady Dul?" I asked. Kukla seemed jarred by the sudden change in my line of questioning. For a moment she seemed off balance, but then she answered me.

"Lord Dul's widow? The 18 year old girl?"

"The heiress to the Castle of Arazi," I corrected, "Lord Dul died without children. His brothers are all dead and had no children. He had no sisters. His young wife is the only possible heir. Further, her parents and brothers are dead too, though everyone involved left an impeccable name," I said.

"Yes, I am familiar with her situation," she said, become more guarded in her speech now. She could tell I was using her words, searching for a way to secure her vote. She was smart enough to remain aloof as I did so. I pressed on, back on the pursuit. I felt my heart pumping with excitement, I felt slightly light-headed.

"And you must know she is the most eligible lady in the Empire," I said, brushing the hair out of my face and giving her a slightly devious look. For a moment I reflected on how closely this experience seemed to mirror seduction. But she spoke again quickly before I could fully explore the idea.

"I do," she replied. I could tell she was starting to gain an inkling of where I was going, her eyes were growing bright.

"Since her father is dead, it is my role as Sultanah, it is my duty, and my right, to ensure a suitable marital match for the young widow. As you know, a woman, generally, cannot hold property. I, as Sultanah, must hold the castle and the lands on the Lady Dul behalf until a husband is procured. That husband, of course, would then take custody of her property."

"It is an ancient and honored position that you hold, father of the Empire. It is like the Lady Dul is your daughter," Kukla said. I saw her cheeks flushing slightly and her chest was rising and falling more rapidly as she grew excited.

"Of course, it is also customary and appropriate that the Sultan receive some consideration for his role, of in this case, her role in ensuring a prosperous match. My High Priestess, Cin, is currently negotiating with several suitors who all deeply love the lady Dul. And her land," I said. I had been discussing that issue, in fact, with Cin that morning well before the issue of the Executive Assembly had been raised. I had not even considered the implications of that conversation until I spoke with Kukla. It seemed my plan was bearing fruit.

"Who wouldn't love 4'7 woman weighing 400 pounds? Her mustache is most appealing," Kukla replied, offering me a wicked grin. She licked her lips slightly in anticipation.

"Do you believe your son would love her?" I asked, raising my eyebrows. It seemed as though a tremor ran up Kukla's spine.

"He is a good boy. He love what his mother tells him to love. Though...it would be some time before he is ready to love a woman. He is but 10 years old. A lot can change in 8 years," she explained.

"Nonsense!" I said, "There is no reason why they cannot be wed now. By proxy of course. The boy would remain with you until his 18th birthday. Then he would go to his wife of 8 years and consummate the marriage. She will be 26 and in the prime of her life for the production of heirs. It would be morally sound and completely legal," I said, "More importantly, the instant the legal wedding went through, Lady Dul's new husband would be the legal possessor of all her estates. If the new husband's father, for example, pissed away all of his own property, the boy's property would remain. It would be under my control until he turned 18." I could feel that I was getting close, the excitement was electric. Kukla looked the same, her eyes had an intensity that I would not have expected, even from her.

"I look forward to welcoming the young woman into my family," she said, her breath coming out as a whisper.

"I hear she is very pliable. I am sure she will make a fine daughter-in-law," I said. "Do we have a deal?" I extended my hand now and looked over at Kukla. Her breasts were rising and falling in her corset and her delicate hands were twisting around one another rapidly. Her hair was slightly in her eyes but she seemed to be looking past it, past me even. After a moment, she turned her head and looked toward the door where the maid had retired. She seemed to almost speak, and then she sighed.

"There are two children in that room," She said, and slowly turned back to face me. Kukla would never sell herself cheap; she was going to make me work for it. I nodded; I respected her for her nerve in turning down a very lucrative offer. I could walk away now and she would be ruined. But I might be also. And I had the means, so I decided to blink first. My mind flashed to another conversation I had had the previous night, this one with my sister Kardes.

"Have you heard for Sir Toprak Sahibi?" I asked now.

"The old man, I know him well. I know of him at least. My husband used to drink with him," she said.

"All the better," I said, "But you are not entirely right." I bit my lip in a manner that suggested there was more information. And, from Kardes, I knew that there was.

"How so?" Kukla asked thickly.

"He was an old man. He is no longer among us," I responded.

"They are dropping like flies," she said, but her voice did not sound sorry. In fact, it sounded like she was practically vibrating with excitement, getting more out of me.

"He has no children or siblings. His wife is dead and she had only an old spinster sister," I explained. Kukla nodded slowly.

"A shame, though I suppose that is good for you," she said, knowing that by law his property reverted to the crown, "he owned whole blocks of the city of Şehir and collected considerable rents."

"He told me a charming story once, about your daughter. About how when he used to come to visit your husband she would call him 'uncle' and fetch him whatever he asked. It sounds like he truly loved her and she loved him as a second father," I said. I saw Kukla's eyes narrow slightly and she tilted her head to the side.

"I must admit Sultanah, I do not recall..."

"You should recall," I interrupted. I spoke with grave significance in my voice and raised my eyebrows as I spoke. I had, of course, heard no such story about Kukla's daughter. I was spinning a web, "Because it was that affection that caused Sir Toprak Sahibi to will all of his property to your daughter. A document can be produced to that effect" I said. And I truly meant "produced." I would have to have Cin work on a forgery.

"My Gunes!" Kukla said, legitimately startled this time. I saw her eyes grow wide and her chest was rising and falling rapidly. Her cheeks were red and her eyes looked almost feverish.

"Now, as Sultanah that property belongs to me. A lord cannot will away that kind of property," I said hastily. I saw Kukla's fall somewhat, wondering where I was going. I paused a moment longer before continuing, "But, I am a woman and therefore easily swayed by emotional appeal. I might give into this feminine impulse and grant the old man's wish, nonetheless. I could grant property to your young daughter, as was the owner's wishes. It would be held for her until she turned 18. Then, with the value in the land increasing over time coupled with her noble name, she could essentially pick whatever husband she wanted. She wouldn't be stuck with a...lesser man." As I spoke these words I looked at Kukla out of the corner of my eye. I saw her twitch slightly.

I was proud of myself for coming up with this plan, essentially, on the spur of the moment. I had come a long way since I had first ascended to the throne. I was no longer a child. I knew what I had as leverage and knew how to use it to get what I wanted. It was just a matter of how long it would take Kukla to agree. After a long pause, she spoke.

"You said that the land would be held until she turned 18. By whom? You as well?" she asked. I could see what she wanted in her eyes. Greed had made her less circumspect in her words and actions. I smiled because it indicated I was very close. I suspected there was only one thing left to do and I would finish the deal. And it would not cost me a cent.

"Officially, yes. It would have to be me. Anything else would not be respected," I said and Kukla nodded, she could tell I was going to say more, "But, I already have far too many properties to manage at this point. I will have to appoint someone to administer the lands, to make sure they are not spoiled before she reaches maturity."

"A wise and prudent decision," Kukla said, her voice choked with excitement.

"It could not be her father. His duties on the Executive Assembly are too important. Besides, if he were to administer the land directly, it could be counted against his property for the purposes of taxes. But perhaps...yes a legal fiction would help us here. Everyone will know that your husband administers the land, but I will put your daughter's property in your name until she reaches the age of 18. That way it will not affect the family for taxation purposes, but I will not be burdened by management. And of course, as an administrator, you are entitled to the yearly profits on the land," I explained slowly. The more and more I spoke, the overwhelmed Kukla seemed to be. Her entire body was trembling and she licked her lips nervously.

"Deal," she said quickly, almost as soon as the words were out of my mouth. It was like she was afraid I would take it all back in an instant.

"What kind of deal?" I asked, making sure that I her completely on the hook and I wanted to hear her say it back to me.

"My son will be betrothed to Lady Dul and married to her by proxy. His land will be held for him until he can consummate the marriage on his 18th birthday. My daughter will receive Sir Sir Toprak Sahibi's land and I will administer it until she reached the age of 18th," She was almost salivating over the last point.

"Halfway there," I said. I wasn't doing this out of the kindness of my heart.

"And you will have my husband's vote on the Executive Assembly. For whatever you want, as many times as you want," she said, her body almost going limp as she said it.

"I will draw up the letters guaranteeing your children their inheritance," I said, but I looked over the table sharply now and pointed my finger at Kukla, "But you don't get them until Lord Sadik is sitting in the Chancellor's seat. You work, and I will pay."

"It is already done," Kukla said easily, "My husband doesn't have the balls to go against anything that I say. Hain can bribe him with every penny he has, but he can't top me." She spoke with so much confidence and composure that I could not help but believe here. I leaned back in the chair, catching my breath. It was over. I had won. I had outmaneuvered my enemies before they even knew we were maneuvering. I felt a sudden warmth wash over me, a feeling of triumph and also joy and the humiliation of my enemies. It was nearly orgasmic. I sat for a few moments and just enjoyed the feeling of victory. But, after a few minutes, Kukla suddenly spoke.

"You know I always liked you from the beginning," she said finally, and I was a bit taken aback. Part of me had forgotten she was even there. Another part of me had no expected such a candid statement, "I always thought that smaller lords should side with the Royalty most of the time. Especially when the major magnates are resistant to the crown. Important lords hate minor lords, but a Sultanah in distress...she needs all of the support from the Peerage she can get." Kukla raised her eyebrows and I was impressed by how easily she had diagnosed my problem. If only more of the small noblemen agreed with her.

"But your husband disagreed?" I said, judging from the way she was speaking, I had surmised as much. She shrugged.

"I could never figure out his distaste for you," she paused for a moment and lifted her hand, "But he never liked you, ever since that meeting of the Peers at the Kule Tower the day after your father died. He sometimes mumbles some half-cracked political notions to explain his position, but they really don't add up to anything. In all honesty, do you want to know what it is?" Kukla asked conspiratorially. She leaned forward further on the table, her breasts pressed into the rough wood of its surface. Now that the negotiations were over, I didn't need to pretend I was ignoring the beauty of her body.

YKN4949
YKN4949
5,888 Followers