Yearning Hearts Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I don't care Patrick, what has he told you anyway?" Thomas demanded grimly. Looking at Thomas Patrick knew he had to choose his words carefully. Cause even though his brother wasn't shy in saying what he truly felt, the man who sat beside him was in far more tremendous pain which he was trying like hell to mask.

"That he's madly in love with you, that he'd give anything to have you forgive him, that he's nothing without you..."

"Oh and let me guess..." Thomas interrupted with a humorless chuckle. "He regrets making me believe I had a daughter right," he professed looking squarely at Patrick waiting for a response.

"Actually no, he doesn't regret that one bit," Patrick replied hesitantly looking at a now angered Thomas.

"Come again," he requested as if he hadn't heard what Patrick said then stood up looking down at Patrick.

'Jesus here we go,' Patrick thought to himself then stood up as well but moved away a bit leaving enough room between the two. "He hates that he hurt you but not about keeping Belle's paternity from you. Seeing you happy is the most satisfying thing to him and that little girl makes you happy so..." Patrick concluded carefully watching Thomas' every movement.

"You're kidding right?" Thomas asked smiling humorlessly. At Patrick's nod no he started laughing manically and uncontrollably. 'Holy fuck, did I make it worse?' Patrick asked himself.

"You know... I wish I hadn't met him; maybe I wouldn't have known what it meant to truly love someone that much but I bet I wouldn't be hurting like this right now if he wasn't a part of the equation and no love is worth this much pain that I'm feeling right here," Thomas finally responded weakly rubbing his chest as if soothing a discomfort.

"Come on man, you don't mean that," Patrick threw out sympathizing with what Thomas must be feeling to have said that though it was obvious that he still loved his brother.

"I don't?" Thomas asked grimly. "My marriage is over because of him! I lost my daughter because of him! I hurt like hell because of him! I have nothing left because of him! Every fucking thing wrong in my life is because of him! Now tell me why I shouldn't regret meeting that soulless, selfish, sanctimonious bastard... hmm?"

Thomas asked tearfully through clenched teeth while wringing the semi empty beer bottle in his hands. Patrick felt bad for how much Thomas was hurting but he also knew that his job at that moment was to let Thomas see reason, and let him know he wasn't alone as he thought he was.

He carefully walked closer to Thomas then slowly pried the bottle from his trembling hands that were glowing red due to all the friction.

"Because you're in love with him too or else you wouldn't be hurting this much and please know he's hurting right there along with you too; even more so that you're hurting man," he said rubbing along Thomas' arms soothingly.

"Listen I know you don't want to hear this right now but you're the best thing that ever happened to him and..."

"You're right Pat, I don't wanna hear it, I really don't," Thomas murmured hoarsely then cleared his throat. "So if there's nothing else I'd like you to leave now please," he added flatly and nonchalantly.

His main mission going in was to show Thomas that he needed Jonathan as much as Jonathan needed him but by the looks of things it looked like he may have made things worse instead of mending any hope there was for the two to reconcile; that's if there was any to begin with.

"Look Tommy, I'm really sorry if I upset you, that was never my intention," Patrick apologized profusely. Thomas had no ill thoughts about Patrick but he also knew that his loyalty would always be towards his brother so coming there and pleading his case was irritating as hell but also understandable.

"I know that Pat and thanks for coming by; it was good seeing you." Patrick doubt that his visit was a delight but he knew Thomas was just being polite and if Thomas wanted him to leave, the least he could do was respect his wishes considering the circumstances.

********

The following day Charley came and dragged him out to have lunch with her but oddly enough he insisted that they drive separately. She could tell he wasn't into it but it was a hell of a lot better than leaving him alone with his thoughts. After hearing about Jonathan's little pop up visit she not only noticed that he was a lot quieter and distant but he also looked like he had something up his sleeve.

She was scared to ask but she did ask anyway. He had told her that she was imagining things but she knew better. He was up to something but she knew whatever it was it had to do with Jonathan. She made a few attempts to Call Jonathan and warn him but then she thought that whatever Thomas was going to do, Jonathan had it coming for what he did.

"What time is it?" Thomas asked her glumly as he fiddled with the chicken salad he hadn't touched since he got it.

"Twelve thirty three, why?" Marian asked suspiciously as she studied Thomas' face.

"Nothing, I need to go. I gotta be somewhere at one." He told her as he pushed his chair back to stand.

"What are you gonna do Tommy? I know you're up to something. Please don't do anything stupid ok?" she pleaded worriedly.

"It's ok Charles, love ya," he kissed the top of her head then turned in the direction where he parked.

******

Jonathan sat at the head of the huge boardroom table confidently as he tried to close the biggest deal of his career. Had it been a regular meeting he'd have no problem knocking it outta the park and on with his business but this particular deal was beyond nerve wracking especially with his father sitting there.

Since he took over "DOVO FLO MEDIA" from his dad, not only has he had to work twice as hard because he was now in charge but he also felt like he always had to prove himself time and time again.

Not that he wasn't good enough but his dad always felt the need to remind him that he built the company from the ground up by himself and it was all for them, his family so no matter what he should always work harder than everyone else.

Not that he didn't already have it handled but it was times like these that he missed Thomas the most. Thomas was the solace he needed, he was his safe place. Whenever he felt like losing it on his dad for breathing down his neck Thomas was always there to talk him down and reassure him that his dad was only reacting that way because of his stubborn nature.

And solely because he was a control freak like his son so not being able to call the shots on something he spent decades developing must be hard for him.

Thinking about the happy times he and Thomas shared seemed to get the edge off as he turned the charm on and did his magic. The sexy three piece navy suit with a white fitted dress shirt, red and white striped tie, white pocket square and brown leather ankle boots made a powerful armor but the only thing that seemed to give him the strength he needed was Thomas.

"Now if you turn to page four, you'll see that from the moment this establishment was erected by that gentleman you see right there who happens to be my father, we've not only had immense success every year since but not one client has moved on since their contracts have concluded.

Also since partnered with us they've been more successful than they've ever been and they continue to be with our careful assessments and our careful dedication to always make sure that their on top."

As the lawyers looked over the legalities of the contracts Jonathan went on to sell the owners of "BI-ARKIES" aka the best thing since Google on why his company was their absolute best choice.

And yes they're from Arkansas. Sounds simple enough but in the span of three years since they've been around they've surpassed existing companies who has been playing it safe and gone head to head to head with the ones winning.

He knew he had them right where he wanted them as he could see their convincible poker faces slowly starting to transform as they melted into his charm. He just had to show them a mock trial of what he had planned for them and compare it to their present ad agency.

No doubt that would do the trick. His dad's methods were great and all when he was in charge but since he's taken over he has made a few adjustments where quality is concerned.

He turned on the 110 inch Samsung curve and connected it with the tablets he provided for them. He then made eye contact with his dad and though Richard was trying his best to look serious he was clearly proud of what he was seeing.

He observed each and every one of their faces as he showed them slide after slide. He made sure not to say anything, just watch their honest reaction of what he'd been planning for months. If he were to give it an appropriate definition for what was happening it would be seduction. He was seducing them to do what he wanted them to, even if they didn't know.

For a second he tore his eyes from the screen then looked at his clients but they weren't looking at him or at the monitor anymore and neither was his dad. He turned to where their attention was drawn and saw an ill looking Thomas standing to the side watching him.

Had it been someone else he'd have asked how the hell they got into a confidential meeting without invitation but he made sure Thomas had access to everything and everywhere.

Thomas looked really sick but aside from that his features read something else. He wasn't just there to watch, much less pay Jonathan a visit. He was there to wreak havoc and his eyes said as much.

Jonathan doubted that Thomas would jeopardize the meeting in anyway especially when he knew how important it was to him but then again he wouldn't put it past Thomas given the state he was in.

He could see his dad looking at Thomas disapprovingly and that just killed him. He didn't deserve that, it wasn't his fault.

"I half expected at least one woman to be here. Guess the business world really is as sexist as they say huh?" Thomas finally addressed him and the remaining six parties present." Jonathan's heart was thumping like crazy as he watched his potential clients' reaction to Thomas' insult.

"Thomas this is a private meeting, will you please leave." Richard told Thomas sternly. After Juliette filled him in on what Jonathan had done it was understandable that Thomas would be immensely furious but this deal was important and Thomas' personal problems would have to wait.

"Dad don't!" Jonathan warned sizing his father up. No matter how old he got he always made sure never to disrespect his parents. They brought him into this world so he owed them everything but no one was allowed to speak to Thomas like that, especially in his presence.

"Thomas please, not now. Wait for me in my office; I'll be there in a few minutes." Jonathan whispered desperately as he moved closer to Thomas but Thomas didn't want to be anywhere near him.

"Why? We can talk right now. Your clients don't seem to mind. Do you gentlemen?" Thomas told Jonathan as he moved farther away then directed his attention to Jonathan's clients who looked like they'd rather be anywhere but in that room.

Richard flashed Jonathan a look that said 'handle it' but Jonathan ignored him. His concern at that moment was Thomas and his well being, not a deal that he could rectify in time if need be. He was really worried about Thomas.

********

Thomas knew he wanted to hurt Jonathan but he had no definite plan on what exactly until Charley came to get him. Orion's café was just a couple minutes from Jonathan's building so he told her he'd go but his primary destination in mind that day was Jonathan's meeting. The meeting Jonathan's been telling him about for months.

He knew how important it was to Jonathan, that's why he was there; to destroy it but what he wasn't expecting was how conflicted he'd feel going in. His plan going in was to destroy any hope there was to making that deal but when he got there and saw Jonathan in action he literally got frozen in his path.

There were two instances he knew of where there was disagreement between the two and it was all in his defense. Protective wasn't the word to describe what Jonathan was to him, it was something else. Maybe possessive but that still didn't even seem to come close.

"Mr. Donavon we didn't come here for this. Maybe we should reschedule." Brian Brown the one with majority of the shares in BI-ARKIES addressed Jonathan as he pushed his chair back to stand.

"No, please that's not necessary. This is just a misunderstanding." Jonathan told them as he raked his hand through his hair frustratingly. They ignored his plea as all six members got up from their chairs and made their way to the exit.

He went there with hatred and wrath but all he felt in that moment was regret. No matter how much he wanted to hurt Jonathan he just couldn't, he loved him but that didn't mean he wanted to show it.

Jason who was one of BI-ARKIES first employees and also the one who made the link between him and the shareholders stopped and looked back at him before closing the door and gave Jonathan a knowing smile.

Jonathan returned it so he obviously knew what it meant but Thomas saw that and went berserk. All he acquired from that smile was that Jonathan was screwing him and he had the nerve to flirt with someone else in front of him.

"So no introduction to your next victim? Am I not worthy enough to meet him or is he just the flavor of the week," Thomas spewed angrily as he stared at Jonathan scornfully from across the table.

Jonathan flashed incredulous yet worried eyes at Thomas at that ridiculous accusation. He knew it was because of the smile he gave Jason but it wasn't what Thomas thought. Besides when the hell would he have time to meet someone else much less even have the gall to flirt with someone in front of him.

"What, you're not gonna deny it? That means its true right? You're screwing him!" Thomas screamed as his lips quivered and his eyes started to water.

Before Jonathan even got a chance to collect himself and respond to that Thomas dashed out of the room slamming the door behind him. Jonathan tried to chase after him but his dad wouldn't let him.

"Dad just let me go to him!" Jonathan barked irritatingly as he twisted his face in agony.

"Jonathan stop! He's not thinking straight right now; he needs time to cool off. Don't push him to do something you both will regret later. Now sit and you cool off." Richard told him sincerely as he went and turned the lock.

Jonathan obeyed his father's request and sat in the chair closest to him. "I don't know what to do dad. I want to fix things but I just don't know how and the longer this goes on the worst he gets. He's not even eating." Jonathan sobbed for a brief second then collected himself as he sniffled and raked his hands through his hair and stood.

"I feel for you son but you betrayed him, in the worst sort of way. It's gonna take some time before see any silver lining. Sometimes people have to fall apart to realize how much they truly need each other. This is all a test son and if you truly love him as much as you say you do then you have to believe that it will work out the way it's supposed to. Give him time."

Richard advised as he stood next to his son and massaged the top of his shoulder. Jonathan listened to his father's wise words but unfortunately it didn't take away the pain he was feeling for Thomas. As his father continued to soothe his shoulder he could feel himself slowly starting to come apart again only this time he couldn't stop it.

Richard sensed what was happening and grabbed his son and hugged him lovingly as Jonathan cried into his embrace. The two men stood there like that till Jonathan calmed down after which they left for Jonathan's office and talked some more.

***********

Later that evening Thomas drove to Marian's apartment in Tribeca to sign the divorce papers but more than anything else he wanted to see Belle. It was where she lived before they got married but she still kept it and used it as storage. It was a roughly 1500sqft so there was plenty of space for the both of them in addition to Marian huge wardrobe.

Standing outside the door with a blue stuffed bear waiting for Marian he could feel his pulse start to race rapidly. Maybe it was seeing her after that explosive scene in their house or maybe it was seeing Belle after hearing he wasn't her dad anymore.

The door opened to reveal a concerned looking Marian in an oversized grey sweater and black leggings and her naturally curly hair let down.

"Hey come on in," she invited then closed the door behind him. "Wine?" she offered heading for the open kitchen that was visible from the living room.

"Yeah thanks," he replied politely. Just as he was about to ask where Belle was he heard the tiny feet running towards him.

"Daddy!" Belle called out running into Thomas' arms. He quickly went down on his knees so he could be at her height and welcomed her with open arms.

"Hey my beautiful angel, I missed you so so much," Thomas expressed warmly embracing the angel in his arms. He then showered her with tiny kisses all over her face and tummy which had her cracking up. Nothing was better than her laughter and for the first time in a week he allowed himself to laugh freely and wholeheartedly.

"Hey look what I got for you; do you like it?" he asked handing the blue stuffed bear to Belle. He almost burst with happiness when she grabbed it and blushed shyly with the bear over her face. As she spoke to the bear in her own language and played with its glassy eyes Thomas couldn't seem to take his eyes off her for one second.

"Wow, who's your new friend," he asked goofily noticing that she had another stuffed animal in her hand which he didn't recognize.

"Superman," she giggled charmingly steering up at Thomas with her bright green eyes which were identical to her mother's. His heart almost stopped right then, there was only one person she referred to with that name. Lord knows why she calls Jonathan that but that's her name for him while Jonathan calls her Shorty.

However he should've known because the bear had a faint aroma of Jonathan's cologne but he still wasn't sure. He then looked over at Marian for confirmation and at her nod he could feel the sharp pain in his chest return.

"Ok peanut, why don't I take you to your room so you can play with your new friends, how's that sound?" Marian suddenly intervened when she noticed Thomas looked like he was about to pass out. Belle planted one last slobbery kiss on Thomas' cheek and she was off giggling like crazy when her mom came sounding like a helicopter.

He then sat around the island resting his elbows on the counter and massaging his temples in circular motions. "Drink this," Marian insisted when she returned from Belle's room. He shakily took up the glass and downed the whole thing. What the hell was wrong with him anyway, it's like he had no sense of control over his body lately, he thought to himself.

He felt like he was having an anxiety attack. "Hey, Tommy breathe," Marian instructed grabbing hold of both his hands. "Come on you'll be alright."

"I'm sorry about that," Thomas breathed when he finally got his breathing under control.

"For what? I'm the reason you're even like this," she expressed regrettfully still holding on to Thomas's hands.

"There's only one person whose responsible for me being like this and it's definitely not you," Thomas assured her caressing her small hands with his thumbs. And as if Marian could predict what Thomas was going to ask next she began.

"He came to visit Belle two days ago but not before letting me know that my little outburst didn't mean that he was going to start playing house with me," she explained scoffing in disbelief. "And and..." she continued. "He said and I quote; I will not be acknowledged as her dad nor will I play the role of her dad.