After The Dust Had Settled

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Ooo Honey, give me your hand, quick," Andie said, quickly taking my hand and placing it on her swollen belly. All at once I felt something flutter, followed by a definite but soft thump. "Did you feel that?" she asked.

"It's wonderful," I said, "And I love you with all my heart, Andie."

"I love you, too," she replied after kissing my lips, "And I will for the rest of my life, my beautiful husband."

*********************

The next day was bright, sunny and beautiful, and the weather forecast called for a mild night to follow, which meant that concert conditions were going to be great. We were going to play in front of the Lincoln Memorial. We originally thought that we were going to be playing in an indoor venue, but because of the incident involving the Secret Service, and the way Dad had handled the situation in front of the press; My Great-Uncle Harold and a couple other Senators wrangled President Carter into having an outdoor concert that would be open to the public. They did it by telling him that his presence there would give the Republican Party the shot in the arm that it needed after Nixon's resignation.

As were setting up that afternoon, we were approached by two men. As they drew nearer, we recognized the men as Agent Timmerman and his partner. As they drew near Timmerman raised his hands and said, "We're not here to make trouble, you guys. We came to apologize to you."

"Its cool brother, you two were just doing your jobs, man," said Phil, making us all laugh.

Realizing that we were just teasing them, and that there were no bad feelings among us, Timmerman laughed, and shaking his head, said, "You guys are nuts."

The other agent, who had his right arm in a sling, walked up to me and said, "I don't know where you learned how to fight, but you're faster than anyone I've ever seen."

I smiled, and patting him on his left arm, said, "I'm sorry I hurt you."

He just laughed and replied, "Nothing is broken, my shoulder was just dislocated and I'll be as good as new in a week.

I decided that I liked this guy, and extending my left hand, I replied, "My name is Mark, Mark Thompson. What's yours?"

"My name is Ethan, Ethan McKnight. It's nice to meet you; Mark," he laughed, "And I hope I never have to fight you again."

We knew that Timmerman's first name was David but we just called him Dave, and he told us, "My wife really likes you guys' music. I never listened to any of it until last night, but I have to say, you guys are damn good. Anyway, when she saw all of us on the T.V. yesterday evening, she damn near went into hysterics asking me to get all of your autographs."

Bryan nodded at me, and I immediately knew what he meant. I looked at Dave and said, "I can do you one better than that," then reaching into my briefcase that I'd taken to carrying everywhere with me, I reached in and pulled out four reserved seating passes. As I handed a pair of them to Dave, I smiled and said, "How about you two come to the show tonight and sit up front with the President and our families. "Then I handed the other two to Ethan and said, "Here, I want you to be there too, Ethan."

"My girlfriend is going to go bananas," laughed Ethan.

"I know I'll definitely be getting laid tonight," added Dave, making us all laugh.

*********************

As we prepared to take the stage, Don looked at all five of us, and in a serious tone of voice, said, "You guys have succeeded beyond the record label's wildest expectations. I want you to go out there tonight and play for yourselves. Everyone's gonna love it, trust me!"

When we took the stage that night, there was no announcement or fanfare. We simply took our places on the stage and did what we do best, rocked. This time though, we were playing in front of the Lincoln Memorial for the President of the United States of America. Still though, none of us were nervous. It was simply just another show, albeit one that ended up being the show to end all shows.

Two sets of bleachers had been brought in and set up at the front of the stage that our road crew had built, not on top of the stairs, but as a part of them, giving it an appearance of its own and allowed for the reserved seats to be right in front of us, as opposed to down below us. The moment the music started, people were jumping up and down, as well as cheering us on wildly. President Carter was, himself, clapping his hands and stomping his feet in time with our tunes. As I looked at my parents and Andie, I saw them smiling broadly as well as watching intently. Mom and Dad were holding hands and holding each other as they proudly reveled in the music of their offspring. This was the way I wanted my life to be, and when I looked at my beautiful Andie, the feelings of her love swept across me so suddenly that I was almost overcome, right there on stage in front of everyone. However, I only smiled, knowing that our hearts had now, truly become one.

As always, Danny, Bryan, Phil, and Tommy were all on the same musical page as me and all we needed was to simply look at each other to know what was next. So finely in tune we were with one another, that our music reached new and historic heights that night in our nation's capital. People from all walks of life were in attendance, and if only for a moment, all were at peace. Gone was the hatred and racial degradation. Gone were the feelings of malcontent from the scorn of the government by the public, but most of all, gone was the pain and anguish over the war in Vietnam. I think that God was truly among us that night, because I could literally feel the love and forgiveness as it radiated from the faces of the people all around us. We ended the show with Bryan singing our national anthem, solo, center stage. When he was done, not only was there not a dry eye in the place, but everyone, President Carter included, were on their feet cheering wildly. Andie, Mom and Dad were again, all three, jumping up and down like teenagers. It was great, and as Bryan began to calm the audience down, one-by-one he introduced us, and after all was said and done, we bid everyone goodnight.

As promised, I got Dave and his wife Leah, and Ethan and his girlfriend Diana, backstage for a meet and greet. Leah was extremely excited to meet us, and to me, said, "Mister Thompson, I really love your music."

"If you'll excuse me for saying so, a lady as nice as you are shouldn't be calling me Mister anything. My name is Mark and it's nice to meet you."

"Then she looked at husband's still, very prominent, black eye, and giggling girlishly, replied, "My name is Leah, and I'm very proud to meet the guy that, while I love my husband with all my heart, finally brought him down off his high horse," and with that, she leaned up and kissed Dave's lips, making him blush a bright red, and all of us laugh wildly.

At Dave's discomfort, Ethan howled with laughter and added, "Well, whadaya know? It seems that Dave's not the hard ass I thought he was."

The next day Don informed us that we had the next four months off and we all went our separate ways.

*********************

Once were home Andie and I fell back into our same routine of discovering the world together by day and loving wholly and deeply at night. Once things had settled down and I had been home for a few days, Mom and Dad called one night and, when she answered the phone, asked Andie if we would like to come down south and spend a couple of weeks with them. Of course she said, "Yes," and told them we would be there in two days. "I think your Mom misses you, baby," she told me, after she'd hung the phone up.

"Nah, she just wants to go shopping with her sorority sister."

"Mark, you are so bad. You just wait till I tell Kerrie what you said."

I just laughed and held Andie closely, thanking God for this beautiful and precious soul he'd put in my life.

*********************

When we flew into Houston, Mom and Dad were there to meet us at the airport. "Hi babies, how are ya'll doing?" said Mom, putting her arms around us and hugging us tightly to her.

"Hi, Kerrie," replied Andie, returning the hug, "I've really missed you guys."

"We've missed you, too, baby girl," replied Mom.

"Mark, you look tired, son," said Dad, hugging me.

Before I could reply, Mom threw her arms around my neck, and hugging both Andie and I, said, "Well, he's home now and he can get lots of rest. Both of....." Mom paused, and then after gently patting Andie on the tummy, giggled, "...I mean, all three of my babies are home, now." I could tell that Mom was ecstatic about the prospect of becoming a grandmother, because she showed it so openly.

It was good to really be back home. I thoroughly enjoyed showing Andie around my home town, as well as showing her off to my childhood friends. Everyone at home had heard about the band's success, I guess Mom had seen to that, and were all very kind and congratulatory, and Andie reveled in the fact that I was introducing her as my wife. However, because her pregnancy was really beginning to show, she drew a few jealous stares from some of the girls I went to high school with. Andie was always her charming and beautiful self, and when I introduced her to people that I'd known and had grown up with; they all understood the reasons that I fell in love with her.

It was Saturday night, and when Andie and I had been in town earlier, some of my old friends had informed us of some mutual friends, classmates actually, had a band and they were performing at a place called "Pat's" out on the beach. We decided that we were going to go. Even to this day, every time I watch Andie getting dressed up to go out, it's like watching her for the very first time all over again. God, I love her so. Anyway, back to the story. We got dressed, and after convincing Mom and Dad to go with us, we left the house for a night of dining and dancing.

We ate dinner at a place called Big Daddy's Restaurant. I had known the owners, Mr. Dan and Ms. Lori Reed, our Danny's Aunt and Uncle, all of my life and Big Daddy's was, and to this day, still is, the best place in the world to get barbeque, especially ribs. Needless to say, the moment we hit the door, Ms. Lori had her arms wrapped around my neck, hugging me and said, "Well, hello there, sweet boy. I'm so proud of you darlin."

"Hi Ms. Lori, It's good to see you," I replied smiling, returning her hug.

As she stepped away from me, she looked over at Andie, and after winking at Mom, she grinned and asked, "Now, who is this pretty little girl you've brought with you, Marky?"

"Ms. Lori Reed, let me introduce my wife, Andrea," I replied, hearing Andie giggle at Ms. Lori calling me Marky.

She pulled Andie into her arms and hugged her like she'd known her all her life, and said, "You're so beautiful, Andrea," gently patting Andie's tummy, "And I hear that there's a little one on the way?"

"Yes ma'am and you can call me just plain old Andie like everyone else does," Andie replied smiling.

We enjoyed a leisurely dinner and Andie allowed Mom and Ms. Lori to fuss over, and spoil her. She later told me that she'd never had that kind of nurturing while growing up, and that that was one of the many reasons she loved Mom so much. I smiled because I knew that Mom had also wanted a daughter to spoil when I was a child. God moves in so many mysterious ways, doesn't he?

Until now, Mr. Dan had remained pretty much in the background. Now that Mom and Ms. Lori were talking to Andie, he sat down on the other side of the table we were seated at, and said, "I just wanted to let you know how proud we all are of you, Mark. I think you guys are doing a great job, and I really like your music, son!"

"I appreciate it, Mr. Dan," I replied smiling.

He patted me on the back and laughed, then smiled widely and said, "Hell son, a reporter from Rolling Stone Magazine came around here a few days ago, asking a lot of questions about you so, it looks like you've put our little town on the map, and that means the local businesses will stay afloat. Thank you, Mark."

"I meant to tell you earlier, son, but with Andie being pregnant, your Mom hasn't really given me a chance to tell you," laughed Dad.

"Tell me what?" I asked suspiciously.

Dad smiled, and then leaned over and put his hand on my arm and told me, "It seems that you and the rest of Prodigy have arrived."

"Dad, I don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about," I replied bewildered.

"You guys are gonna be on the cover of Rolling Stone Magazine, boy," said Dad proudly.

My vision suddenly became blurry and then the next thing I knew, I was opening my eyes to find myself flat on my back, looking at the ceiling of the restaurant. Andie was on her knees beside me, and with a concerned look on her face, she leaned over me and said, "Baby, are you alright?"

"Yeah, I think so. What happened?" I asked.

"You fainted when I told you that you're gonna be on the cover of the Rolling Stone," laughed Dad.

"Ha ha, very funny," I sarcastically replied, then began to laugh.

When we arrived at Pat's place on the beach, I saw cars parked all around the building. I used to come here and watch some of the bands when I was younger. Pat's was known as a local spot where a lot of really good rock bands played, and tonight was no exception. The guys who were playing tonight were all friends that I had played with in high school. They called themselves The Bail Jumpers, which I personally thought was a very cool name. Dad laughed and agreed with me. As soon as we sat down at the table a waitress came to take our order. Mom and Dad had wine, while Andie drank a Sprite. Me? I wasn't driving so, I ordered Jim Beam on the rocks, receiving questioning looks from both Mom and Andie.

"Aw hell, he's on vacation and he doesn't have to drive tonight so, ya'll leave him alone," laughed Dad, in my defense. Andie just giggled and shook her head, while I put my arm around her.

The waitress came back with our drinks, and after placing them on the table, she looked at me and said, "Excuse me, sir, but aren't you Mark Thompson of Prodigy?"

"Yes, he is," replied Andie, proudly.

She was about to get a little overly excited, and noticing this, I reached into my back pocket and pulled out my wallet. I opened it and retrieved a one-hundred-dollar bill. After discreetly putting it in her hand, I leaned over and said, "If you'll keep it to yourself that I'm here, there are two more of these waiting for you when we get ready to leave, okay?"

She looked down at what I'd placed in her hand, and then with a huge smile, she replied, "You've got, and thanks," then scampered away. I knew that it would only be a matter of time before someone else recognized me, but I was still going to keep my word to this girl. Hell, as cute as she was, she probably had to deal with drunks and hard-heads hitting on her all night. I simply wanted to make sure that she had a pleasant memory of her experience with a member of Prodigy.

We had been talking amongst ourselves when The Bail Jumpers took the stage. There was Randy Mears on lead guitar and vocals, his brother Rick on bass guitar, Peter Henderson on drums, and Jacky Maxwell on keyboards and back-up vocals. The Mears brothers were a year older than me, but Pete and Jacky had both graduated with me, and they had been good friends. I had played in the stage band in high school with all of these guys though, and I remembered them as being really good musicians.

As they began to play, my mind drifted back to a simpler time when Prodigy first started playing at Nick's Uptown Lounge in Dallas. "What's the matter, baby?" asked Andie, breaking me out of my reverie.

"Oh nothing, I was just remembering," I replied smiling, and giving her a gentle squeeze. Andie had always been beautiful in my eyes, but now that she was carrying our unborn child inside her; I experienced love on a level that I never even knew existed, and now I could only stare breathlessly, totally in awe of her.

None of this was wasted on Dad, as he leaned over and whispered, "Now you know how I felt when your Mom was carrying you."

I smiled and said, "Isn't it great?" He nodded his head and winked.

The Bail Jumpers were really beginning to rock. However, just as I thought they were going to kick it up a notch, they slowed it down. Noticing the change in the tempo of the next tune, Andie smiled and said, "Dance with me, Mark. We hardly ever get this chance because it's usually you that's on stage."

"Okay sweetie, let's go," I replied, standing and taking Andie's hand and then leading her out onto the dance floor.

As we danced together Andie ran her fingers through my hair which had now grown well past my shoulders. As she pulled her hand away, she sighed and smiled dreamily at me. "What is it, sweetheart?"

She laughed and said, "You really do look like a rock star with all of this hair....and you're all mine, baby."

Suddenly the music stopped, and coming from the band's P.A., I heard a voice say, "Holy cow! Look guys, its Mark Thompson." I looked up at the stage to see Randy Mears, as well as the rest of The Bail Jumpers standing there and pointing at me. I smiled and waved back. Before Andie and I could make an exit, Randy stepped back up to the microphone and said, "Ladies and Gentlemen, it brings me a very great pleasure to acknowledge the presence of one of the greatest musicians of our time, Mister Mark Thompson, of Prodigy is here with us tonight. I'll bet that if we clap cloud enough and show him how much we love him, he might come up and play with us. Whadaya say Mark?"

By this time, the club was full of people and the main spotlight was on me. People were standing all around me, smiling and applauding loudly. I waved and then looked at Dad, indicating that I wanted him to come and get Andie before I went on stage. The moment Dad arrived; I kissed Andie and said, "I'll be back, baby."

"You're a star and its time for you to shine, my love. I'll be here when you get back, now, go," she replied, smacking me on the butt, shooing me toward the stage with a smile on her face.

The minute I walked onto the stage, the Mears brothers, as well as Pete and Johnny all hugged me at once. "Hey man, it's real good to see you, and congrats on the new album, brother. You guys are great!" said Randy.

"Thank you and it's good to see you guys again, too," I replied graciously.

Johnny anxiously sat me behind his gear and said, "We know everything on the album and I would be honored if you'd play my gear, Mark." How could I refuse him? Randy called out two of the five songs on the album that were currently in the top ten of Billboard magazine, and after an acknowledgement from me; we began to play. Everyone in the house became silent as we played together. I must admit; these guys were good, but it just wasn't the same as being with Bryan, Danny, Tommy and Phil. Still though, these guys were friends of mine that really liked what I was doing so, there was no way I was going to deny them the pleasure they were experiencing. Besides, I knew just how they felt.

After we finished playing the two songs, the band took a break. I must've signed a hundred autographs on everything from paper napkins, to Johnny's Mini Moog, to the waistband of a pair of panties while they were still being worn. All-in-all it was a good night, but I was ready when it ended. As we drove back home, Mom looked into the back seat of Dad's Mercedes at me and Andie snuggled closely together and said, "That was a very nice thing you did, playing with those boys tonight, Mark."

"I couldn't very well have said no. I grew up with those guys and they were friends of mine when I was going to school," I replied smiling.

"And because of what you did tonight, those guys will always be your friends, honey," Mom said, reaching over the seat and patting my knee.