After The Dust Had Settled

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

At the back stage party that night, I was approached by the Canadian television and press corps. One of the reporters asked me, "So, tell me, Mark; how do you like Canada?"

"I like it fine. Everyone had been so nice and kind. I really enjoy it here," I replied, as graciously as I knew how.

Another reporter asked me, "If your family were here, what would you say to them?"

The mere thought of my family brought a warm smile to my face as I replied, "To my wife, Andie, I love you and I miss you terribly. To my beautiful daughter, Abby, Daddy loves and misses you, too, Baby-girl, and I'll be home soon. To Mom and Dad, you know that I wouldn't be where I am, were it not for you two. I love you both very much."

Little did I know at the time, but as I was being interviewed by the press, Don stood in the corner with Bryan, both smiling proudly, and said, "I think that boy has just earned, not only himself, but all of you guys, Grammy® awards."

"God, wouldn't that be great?" said Bryan excitedly.

Don just smiled knowingly said, "I think you guys had better plan on letting him write your next album as well. I have a feeling that we've only seen the tip of the iceberg so far."

"I think you're right, Don," said Bryan grinning.

*********************

The following week we were back in L.A. to begin recording. I knew ahead of time and had already written several pieces for the new album. Why he wanted me to produce it, I'll never know; but Don had something going on with the rest of the band that, at the time, I didn't know about. After we all agreed on the things we wanted to record, it ended up being, basically, a rock opera that lasted forty-five minutes. It took us a month to record it, and when we were finished, we were all very proud. After being gone for almost a month, himself, Don went berserk when he heard it, he liked it so much. He told us, "Fellas, I think we are seeing history in the making."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

With knowing smiles on the faces of everyone in the room, Don grinned and replied, "Your first album went platinum and we're going to release this one, platinum, plus, I just got the news this morning. You guys have been nominated for two Grammy® Awards, one for Best New Artists, and one for Album of the Year. " Cheers rang out all over the room, and before anyone else could say anything, Don smiled at me and added, "Mark, you've been nominated for "Best Live Performance" for the little piece you played in Montreal last month."

I grinned and said, "Holy shit, I better tell Andie." and laughter rang out all over the room as I ran to the phone. I didn't care. Everyone knew how much I loved her, and besides; to me it wasn't real until I told Andie. God, I love her so much.

*********************

"Ladies and Gentlemen, the award for best new artists goes to...Prodigy!" announced Stephen Stills and Rita Coolidge, as presenters of the award for that category. We were jumping up and down as we made our way to the stage.

As soon as we were presented our awards, we made Bryan, as lead singer, speak first. "Thank you all so very much for giving us this award. The one true person to thank, for making all of this possible, is Mark Thompson. We wouldn't be where we are without the divine inspiration that he has given each and every one of us in the band, since he joined us. Thanks, Little Brother," said Bryan, smiling at me with tears rolling down his face.

"The same goes for us," said Danny, Tommy and Phil, simultaneously, smiling at me the whole time they spoke.

When it came time for me to speak, I smiled at the guys and said, "I'm just a single part of a bigger picture, fellas. I'm nothing without any of you." Then looking down at my beautiful Andie, holding Abby in her arms and seated next to my parents, I smiled, held up my award, and then added, "To my beautiful wife, Andie, my new daughter, Abby, and to Mom and Dad, this award means nothing without you. Thank you all, for all you've given me." The audience gave us a standing ovation as we were escorted off the stage.

Once we were back in our seats, Andie leaned over and kissed me then smiled and said, "I love you, my husband."

"I love you, too, my beautiful wife." I replied smiling.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, the award for Best Live Performance goes to....Mark Thompson, for his performance in Montreal, Canada!" announced Stevie Nicks and Peter Frampton. I thought the guys in the band were going to go crazy cheering for me. I leaned over and kissed Andie, then Abby and then headed toward the stage.

Peter Frampton shook my hand and Stevie Nicks kissed me on the cheek, making me blush and Andie giggle in her seat. When I was handed my award, I stepped up to the microphone and said, "This is a great honor you all bestow on me, thank you very much. I'm grateful." Then raising my eyes skyward, I added, "Thank you, almighty God, for everything you've given me."

I had been in my seat for no more than five minutes when I heard Daryl Hall and John Oates, announce, "Ladies and Gentlemen, the award for Album of the Year, goes to....Prodigy!" Needless to say, the whole band was in near hysteria by this time...

At the after party that night, I had three Grammys sitting on the table. I had never been more proud of my music than I was that night. Mom and Dad had taken Abby back to the hotel, and my beautiful Andie sat right by my side at our table. Every one of us had our awards sitting on the table for all to see when, none other than Jeff Lynne approached our table and said, "Congratulations mates! I'm very proud of all of you. You've done quite well since we last met."

"Hi Jeff, how are you, my friend?" I asked, very glad to see him.

"To tell the truth, I'm quite afraid, as is everyone in the business these days since you guys came along," replied Jeff, a subtle scowl curling the corners of his mouth downward.

"Afraid of what?" Bryan asked curiously.

Jeff's scowl turned into a pleasant smile, and while reaching over and patting Bryan on the shoulder, he laughed and said, "Ever since you guys released your first album, we've all had to work harder just to be able to keep up with you. I shudder to think about the release of your next one, especially when Don said that it was going to be released platinum."

Before any of us could respond, Don appeared at our table with Stevie Nicks wanting to meet the band. When I was introduced, Stevie smiled and said, "I would like to talk to you about maybe playing on our next album, if your schedule allows." And then gently patting Andie on the arm, Stevie smiled at her and said, "I also wanted to say congratulations to you, pretty lady. I saw you holding your baby at the awards ceremony and I thought she was very beautiful."

"Thank you, Miss Nicks. That was very nice of you to say such a thing," Andie sweetly replied.

"Miss Nicks? Call me Stevie, please, honey you've more than earned the right," Stevie giggled.

Right before she turned to leave, I smiled and said, "Stevie, tell Don when you're ready to record and I'll drop whatever I'm doing to come and help you any way I can, okay?"

"Thank you, I'll do that," she replied, then turned and walked away.

"Holy shit, I think I'm in love," said Bryan, sounding like a love-sick teenager, making us all laughed hysterically.

"Yeah, right, like she'd even give your ass the time of day, Bryan Rogers," teased Andie.

Leaning over and kissing her on the cheek, Bryan smiled, and then motioning toward me with his head, said, "Mark married the prettiest girl that we've ever seen so, I thought Stevie Nicks is almost as good as the next best thing."

Andie smiled, and after tenderly kissing my lips and because there was a band playing, she stood up and took Bryan's hand and said, "Come on and dance with me, Rogers."

While Andie and Bryan danced together, Phil came over and sat in Andie's chair, and grinning wildly, said, "I never got to say thanks, Little Brother."

"Thanks for what?" I asked.

"Thanks for being part of this band, man. We really love you, Mark." Then, with the beginnings of tears in his eyes, Phil said, "I know for a fact that none of us would be here if not for you. All of these Grammys® that are sitting on the table in front of us are all because of you, man."

"You guys are my brothers and I love you, too," I replied, hugging my friend.

*********************

The days that followed were full of rejoicing in the happiness that was now mine. I was married to the most beautiful woman in the world whom, out of the purest love, bore me a beautiful daughter that was as any man could ever ask for. And in the years that followed after that, we saw all of our dreams realized when Prodigy was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

When Abby was old enough to start school, Andie finished her education and went on to get her Master's degree and is now teaching music at our old Alma Mater.

Danny went on to make a name for himself as one of the most sought after studio guitarists in the world.

Tommy married his college sweetheart and is now raising his own family.

Phil was sadly killed when a drunk driver slammed into his car when he was on his way home from playing a studio session with Danny.

Bryan went back to school, got his Ph.D. and took over Dr. Breeden's place when he retired.

As for my daughter Abby, she now teaches at the Royal Conservatory of Music in Oxford, England.

After Abby was born, we found out that Andie couldn't have any more children, but still, we figured that God had already blessed us immeasurably and were content to raise our daughter.

Mom and Dad eventually retired and are now living in Key West, Florida.

As for me, well, I'm content to spend the rest of my life with my beautiful wife who taught me what it was to love life and live it to its fullest. Abby called us last week to tell us that she's engaged to be married and that she will be bringing her fiancée home to meet us in a few days. So you see, after the dust had settled, I found out that, through God, love conquers all things.

The End

A note from the Author,

This story is pure fiction.Everyone has been so very nice and supportive in my first two submissions. I thank you and I appreciate it greatly.