Blueprints Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'm so sorry. I missed you crossing the line. You were so much faster than-" Joanna stopped in her tracks as Zara turned around, a horror struck look on the professor's face.

"What?" Zara asked; despite the sensation that she'd left all her energy on the mountainside, a smile crept across her lips at the sight of Joanna.

"Look at your knees!" Joanna exclaimed.

"Oh that," Zara waved off as she glanced down. "That's noth- oh. I'm bleeding. Quite a bit." She said in dumb surprise. Now she took in the scraped flesh; the endorphin-masked pain began to throb in her knees, forearms and-

"Oh darling," Joanna moved to her, gingerly tilting Zara's face to one side.

"Is it bad?" she groaned.

"Looks like a scrape, but it is on your temple. Are you dizzy?" the look of concern in Joanna's eyes distracted the young woman. It was a new expression; a sympathetic frown which pinched her eyebrows whilst her eyes grew so bright they almost shone.

"Erm, no. No, I'm not," Zara stammered, breaking from her appreciation, "I'm fine, really. It looks worse than it is. Anyway, I need to walk or else I'll stiffen up." She took a tentative step, her body already protesting.

Dismissing Joanna's encouragements to be seen by the paramedics, Zara pulled on a pair of tracksuit bottoms, wincing at the sting of raw flesh on Polyester before walking several laps of the car park.

"And what, she just careered into you?" Joanna asked with venomous indignity whilst Zara recounted her ordeal.

"Pretty much," the brunette shrugged, resting a hand on Joanna's shoulder as she stretched her quads; the pose causing her to wince as the damaged skin stretched.

"Not that bad, huh?" Joanna said, eying her with scolding suspicion. "I don't know what you were thinking running that. Mind you," she sighed, "you were bloody fast."

"It was great fun." Zara smiled, perking up as she looked at her watch for the dozenth time; ten miles in under an hour-and-a-half.

"Well, I'll take your word for it," Joanna said, as they turned back towards the car, "But great or not, you're going to be in bits once your runner's high wears off, so sooner we get to the hotel the better."

"Can I just nip over and say goodbye to Mark - Steve's friend - please?" Zara asked, stopping in her tracks. "I said I'd catch him before I left."

Joanna agreed, saying she would turn the car around and within five minutes Zara was, rather stiffly, sliding into the vehicle. Joanna checked once more that the young woman was all right before slipping the car into gear and descending the forest track.

"We should get there by," her green eyes flashed to the car's navigation, "three-ish. So we can get checked in, you can have a soak and then see about some dinner."

"Sounds good," Zara murmured drowsily.

"We'll get some ice for your knees as well," the older woman sighed as concerned annoyance flitted across her face once more. "I really think you should have got checked out."

Zara winced as she turned in the seat to look at Joanna's flawless profile. "I bet," she yawned, ignoring Joanna's last observation, "I bet you had different plans for me, a hotel room and some ice," she teased, enjoying the sight of Joanna's lips twitching into a smile before muttering something which involved the word 'shameless'.

Having awoken as the car crunched up the gravel drive way of Dulnain Country House, Zara stretched, her Lycra long-sleeve riding up to expose her scraped stomach. "Oh for God sake, Zara!" Joanna snapped, causing the brunette to jump and pull the top back down. "Is there any bit of you that isn't bloodied?" However she did not wait for an answer. "I wouldn't have let you talk me out of you seeing the first-aiders had I known you were scraped all over!" Zara tried to tell her she wasn't, but Joanna, more angry at herself than Zara, spoke over the top of her. "Just get inside and we'll get you sorted."

Dulnain House, built circa 1850 by Zara's estimate, was a repurposed Victorian hunting lodge; one would have to have a party of at least forty to fill the grand space. As Joanna checked them in the architect marvelled at the original features in the entrance hall; marble fireplace, corniced ceilings and barley twist panelling.

"Room 104," Joanna informed her, gesturing for Zara to walk ahead.

"This is so nice, Joanna," Zara awed, as they climbed the tartan clad stairwell which boasted oil paintings of the original owners.

"Not a bit stuffy for you?" she asked, as she glanced at an extensive collection of antlers on the far wall.

"Come on, you know my stance on traditional buildings," the young woman beamed.

The spacious bedroom was less ostentatious than the reception; although well-appointed, it was the impressive vista of the Cairngorm mountain range which really caught Zara's attention.

"Thanks for bringing me here, Joanna." Zara said genuinely, turning to the older woman who was making her way towards her. She'd stayed in similar places before with family or for friends' weddings, such as Morgan's. Befriending the Doctor was turning into one of the best decisions Zara had ever made.

"What are you looking so fondly reminiscent about?" Joanna asked suspiciously.

The colour rose in Zara's cheeks as her girlfriend pushed an errant strand of hair from her face. "I, eh, was just thinking how, how well-timed Morgan's introduction was," she muttered, glancing away from Joanna's gaze. However, the professor's fingers guided Zara's eyes back to hers; the young woman was glad she had because she was gifted with that adoring expression.

"Yes, she did well," Joanna agreed with a sly smile before her hand moved into the young woman's tousled hair. Zara's grip automatically went to Joanna's waist as they pressed their bodies and mouths together in that perfect way. However, where the ferocity would normally build at a rapid pace the embrace was slow, almost sensual.

As they kissed Zara's hands snuck under Joanna's jumper, the direct contact with her smooth skin causing the young woman's heart to hammer. "You sure... you are... all right?" Joanna asked, between passing her tongue into Zara's mouth. Ignoring her aching bruises, the architect confirmed she was as a scraped hand crept down to Joanna's bum.

The older woman's breath quickened and, as her mouth claimed Zara's, she ground herself into the young woman's thigh. Zara felt her burning need for the professor grow whilst they kissed, Joanna's teeth now tugging at Zara's bottom lip as her hands grasping the girl too firmly.

"Ahhh," Zara grimaced before she could stop herself.

"Oh, I'm so sorry!" Joanna apologised, jumping away from Zara momentarily before her fingers tenderly brushed the young woman's scratched temple. "Sorry, darling. I got carried away."

"Don't worry about it," Zara assured, guiding Joanna's hand from the marred skin to resume their exchange.

"Just hang on," Joanna cautioned, smiling in amusement at the young woman's frustrated groan. "We need to get you cleaned up." Zara knew she was right; having spent almost two hours sweating and rolling around a hillside it was a real testament to Joanna that she'd even kissed her.

Moving stiffly to the bathroom, Zara let out a impressed whistle upon flicking on the light. The marble room boasted a deep standalone bath, the brim of which came to the young woman's hip. "I cannot wait to dive into you," she muttered as she secured the plug before pouring a bottle of herb scented bath soak into the now gushing water.

"You look sore," Joanna said, scrutinising Zara when she reappeared moments later.

"I was being so expertly distracted I hadn't noticed," she said, cocking an eyebrow at Joanna before turning her attention to her bag. She popped a couple of painkillers and retrieved her book before letting Joanna know she was going to get in the tub.

As the bath continued to fill Zara carefully peeled the clothing from her aching body. Having bared her torso, she looked down at her toned stomach; the layers of cotton and Lycra must have been pushed up during the tumble for there was a dirty red scrape running from just below her ribs to her navel.

"Here we go," she muttered, pulling the elastic waist of both the shorts and tracksuit. Even the material gliding down her legs, particularly over her knees, was enough to cause a sharp intake of breath. The runners high really had made her disregard what were several gnarly scrapes; her usually smooth thighs where cut where she'd skidded along the gravel leaving the skin sore, but it was her knees that, as Joanna had pointed out, were a real mess. Propping a foot up on the bath, Zara further inspected the damage; bruises the colour of a stormy sky darkened the lightly tanned flesh and where the rest of her body was lightly scraped, the grazes here were deeper, the blood having crusted in rusty smears around the bony flesh.

This is going to sting, she thought, now looking at the fragrant bath water with trepidation. Lowering herself into the deep bath, Zara grimaced as the hot water lapped at her throbbing skin. Gritting her teeth she fully submerged her legs along with the rest of her body leaving just head and neck unshrouded by the bubbly warmth.

Meticulously, Zara washed the dirt and blood from her body and it wasn't until she had done so that she reached for her novel.

"Are you still reading that?"

"Jesus!" Zara jumped, causing water to slop against the porcelain. "How are you always so quiet?" she gasped, closing the copy of Fishnet that had very nearly taken a dip of its own. "And yes, I ended up reading something for work, so this," she gestured at the garish cover, "had to wait. Anyway, what have you been up to?"

"Getting this," Joanna said, gesturing to the ice bucket as she moved to one of the sinks. Having busied herself for several moments, Joanna turned back to her girlfriend who had now sat up in the steaming water. "You look better Zara, you were getting rather pale," she said sitting on the edge of the bath, her face wearing that same concerned expression which had melted Zara earlier.

"Really, Joanna," Zara sighed, "I promise, I'm fine; hand on heart," she emphasised by placing slender fingers on her chest. The gesture drew Joanna's eyes to the area and Zara relished in the way the professor momentarily lost herself.

"Well," Joanna responded after a moment, dragging her eyes back to Zara's beautiful face, "if I was in the same state as you, wouldn't you be worried?"

"Oh, I'd be out of my mind," Zara responded without a second thought.

"Out of your mind?" Joanna questioned with intrigue.

"Well... yes." At the albeit reluctant confirmation, she was gifted with that expression which softened Joanna's striking features and emphasised the amber flecks in her eyes. The sight made Zara's stomach flutter and her chest tighten simultaneously.

Joanna eventually tore her eyes from her counterpart's and Zara's centre contracted as she watched the woman's hand and forearm disappear into the murky water between her legs. Although disappointed as the hand did not creep higher, she shuddered as Joanna gripped the underside of her knee, guiding the slender limb from the water.

The professor's features creased in an empathetic wince as she looked at the bruised flesh; now cleaned, it didn't look so bad, to Zara. However, when Joanna's free hand pressed a facecloth full of ice against the burning wound the young woman couldn't help the pained exclamation which escaped her lips

"Hand on heart you're fine, hmm?" Joanna said before giving Zara another sceptical look.

"Mhmm..." Zara grimaced, "fine... look, Joanna, do we really need to do this? It was easing off."

Joanna scoffed, "We should have done this earlier before the swelling started."

"They are not swoll-"

"They are bloody swollen, Zara!" Joanna snapped before sighing, her tight mouth creeping to a sly smirk in the girl's direction. "Here was me thinking we could expand your horizons yet again. Alas, having you on all fours tonight would just be cruel."

Every inch of young woman's body tightened at the thought and she emitted a throaty noise, "Not as cruel as mentioning it with no plans to follow through."

The smile on Joanna's lips spread, making her eyes glint wickedly, "I had plans, darling. It was you who went and got yourself into this mess."

"Look, Joanna," Zara replied, more tersely than she intended, "I'm perfectly fine," she gripped either side of the bath to haul herself from its confines.

"Just stay put," Joanna advised in a tone which was not to be reckoned with, her free hand pushing the young woman back down. "Zara?" she asked, their eyes meeting, "Just let me look after you. Please?" She went to protest but Joanna spoke over the top of her. "You just said you'd be out of your mind if I was hurt, even if it is just a couple of scrapes," the brunette's dark eyes flitted around the marble bathroom as she grudgingly agreed. "God, and you say I'm a closed book," Joanna muttered before speaking more clearly, "And why would you be so concerned for my welfare?"

Joanna's now soft patient voice coupled with the searching gaze and gentle caress had Zara's heart pounding and a tightness built in her chest yet again. "Because I..." she swallowed, she couldn't be; it was too soon. "Because I care about you," she muttered before affirming the statement with, "A lot."

The young woman could hear the blood rushing in her ears as Joanna's hand moved to her cheek, caressing it in that most tender way. "Exactly," Joanna purred, her hand creeping to the back of Zara's head, entwining gently in her damp hair, "Can't the feeling be mutual?" Then she bent and pressed her lips to Zara's in another slow-paced exchange.

"Joanna?" Zara breathed, pulling away from the embrace.

"Yes?"

"I... I need to tell you something," Zara could feel a pounding beneath her ribcage as her eyes met the older woman's expectant gaze. "I... I need to wash my hair..." she muttered darkly, making some excuse about wanting to get out the bath soon.

"All right," Joanna nodded, but Zara caught a flicker of doubt cloud her flawless visage. "You're sure you're all right?"

Zara nodded but once the door was closed she submerged herself with a frustrated splash, holding her breath under the water for several moments. Re-emerging, water cascaded from her hair, face and shoulders, Zara felt suddenly overwhelmed; emotions crashed throughout her body and mind as she attempted to quell the overwhelming sensation.

How can I love her? she pondered bitterly; attacking her long mahogany hair with wonderfully scented shampoo. Until a month ago, the woman terrified her; terrified her in a exquisite fashion, but that was beside the point. Three weeks ago she practically had to pry a sentence from the stoic professor. But now? Okay, she wasn't gregarious, but now, the way she looked at her, kissed her, cared for her; it had all changed. Then again, she was so bloody blunt; should Joanna love her she'd tell her. It would more than likely be in some matter of fact statement, but at least she'd know where she stood. Why hadn't she said it? She took the lead on everything else, so surely she'd do the same in this instance.

Irrational irritation grew within her, particularly when she bumped a knee upon stepping out of the ridiculously deep bath tub. "Fucker," she muttered under her breath as she saw a renewed trickle of blood seep down her shin.

"Seven o'clock alright for dinner?" Joanna asked from the other side of the door as Zara dried herself.

"Eh, yeah, just whenever; I'm not fussed," she said adjusting her towel as she stepped back into the bedroom; that pressure building right back up in her chest as she took in Joanna sitting crossed legged by the window.

"Zara, what is wrong with you?" Joanna frowned, setting the menu aside. "And don't give me the 'nothing, I'm fine' bullshit, please."

"I'm just tired," she lied, turning her back to Joanna and messing with her bag.

"You don't seem just tired." Joanna scolded, her patience clearly wearing thin. "What is it? Because I really do think if you bumped your head we should get you to a doctor. I should never have let you talk me-"

"I don't have a concussion!" the young woman snapped, rounding on Joanna who had stood from the Bergere chair, now looking quite taken aback. "I'm sorry..." Zara murmured, "I'm just feeling a little... a little overwhelmed."

"By what? The race? Here?" Joanna questioned, a blunt edge to her voice. Zara shook her head and sat on the edge of the bed, staring at the plush ivory carpet. She heard Joanna sigh again, as if exhaling her impatience. "Well, what is it?" The older woman tried, crouching before the girl and forcing their gaze to meet. Zara tried to shirk from doing so, but Joanna caught her face, gently forcing her gaze. "What is it? We have all night together and the drive back tomorrow, so holding it in isn't going to make the next sixteen hours very pleasant, is it?"

"I suppose not," she mumbled.

"Well, come on, get it over with," Joanna said, a hint of trepidation creeping into her voice.

"It's nothing bad," Zara hastened to say.

"All the more reason to spit it out then."

That made the young woman's lips twitch. She'd never been infatuated, or whatever this was, with anyone, but she was pretty sure spitting such feelings out wasn't the done thing. "You," she took a steadying breath and started again. "I, no, you, you, no..." another deep inhale. "When I said I cared about you, Joanna, I really, really meant it. Like I really care about you."

"Well, I'm glad, but I fail to see why that's got you so upset."

"I'm not upset," she muttered, the tremor in her voice discrediting the sentiment. "Its just, I've never felt like this before."

"Like what?"

After a moment of trying to form the appropriate sentence, Zara began, "Like, it's stupid things like, if I see you've messaged me, my stomach actually jolts, like I really can feel it," she insisted, her hand subconsciously moving to her tummy, "When I hear your voice for the first time in a wee while my breath, it like catches in my throat. And the way you look at me sometimes, most of the time, it makes my chest ache; a physical ache."

Zara chanced a glance at Joanna, who's expression was unreadable, "Anything else?" She asked quietly.

"Yes," she sniffed, "When I'm not with you, I don't know, I crave you? Its so annoying, I never get anything done!" she exclaimed in attempted mirth. "And terrifying; I've gone from never needing anyone to... to... Jesus, Joanna, I'm actually sad that I'm going to Vietnam, a place I've always wanted to visit, because I'll miss you."

"I'll be here when you get back," her girlfriend assured, a hand gripping Zara's thigh.

Zara nodded and placed her hand on top of Joanna's, "I just think about you all the time; it's maddening actually," she laughed weakly but anxiety clouded her expression once more. "But, I don't want anything that I've said misconstrued as something else or if you don't-"

"Zara," she said calmly, "as someone who's experienced what you're feeling, would it help if I told you I loved you?"

"It would, yes," the young woman said thickly. Joanna, who had evidently been in love, validating her feelings made her- Zara's mind froze in comprehension and her chest contracted vigorously as something swelled within her. For an age she replayed Joanna's revelation, the words causing her body to react in all sorts of ways; her eyes burned, hairs on the back of her neck stood on end and she was pretty sure if she were to move her hands they'd tremble.

"After all that, you're going to leave me in the lurch?" Joanna questioned.