Drifter McLeod & Desiree

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

McLeod grinned and said how could he refuse.

She smiled and said good luck.

At the Internet café McLeod noted details of three advertisements that appeared to have some promise. There was no answer to the first two and the guy who answered the phone at the third address qualified McLeod and then asked him over.

It was a condo building and appeared in good condition.

Paying the fare McLeod asked the cabbie how far was the beach away.

"Four blocks."

McLeod was delighted.

The condos off Second Street were on three levels and the prospective one was at the second level.

A bearded guy answered the doorbell and appeared hassled. "Oh it's you."

Although there was no invitation McLeod followed him, closing the door.

"Fucking computers. I've worked all morning since dawn on a spreadsheet and now it won't open. I'm locked out."

"Want me to take a look? I have experience with computers and software."

The guy rubbed his beard and his wife/girl friend/overnight pal appeared from nowhere and said, "Give him a go Athol. You've tried everything."

"I'll have to start all over again," Athol whined.

"Come with me and take a look," said the woman.

The couple appeared to be in their late thirties.

McLeod sat at the computer, attempted the recovery process, brought up the restored file, renamed it, closed the software, reopened it, opened the renamed file and it came up stable.

"Walla!" said McLeod, the procedures having taken ninety seconds.

"Ohmigod Athol, he's done it," shrieked the babe, kissing McLeod.

"I'm Cynthia, Athol's wife. We are out-work business contract workers, operating from home. We can't afford computer fuck-ups."

"Er no, of course not," McLeod said soothingly, aware his hand was being pulled on to Cynthia's breast and she was kissing him again.

Athol charged in, holding a glass of whisky.

McLeod and Cynthia separated discreetly.

"By god, you've done it," Athol said, slapping McLeod on the back with the force of a young kid. Athol led them to the kitchen where they sat and chatted.

McLeod took the spacious, beautifully clean room and share of all amenities for $885/month.

"But you don't share Cynthia."

"It wasn't Cynthia I was worried about; it was the thought of sharing you," McLeod joked.

The Carson's cracked up.

"Mitch who has the other room ought to be no problem for you," Cynthia simpered. "He's a gay dance instructor. I have a married sister who lives near here who's always complaining she is sexually undernourished if you're interested. Breakfast is included but if you eat with Athol and me that's twenty bucks per dinner."

"Very reasonable. I'll eat in some nights and I'll pass on your sister."

"That's fine, good decisions on both counts," Cynthia said. "Cathy would leave you half dead."

They shook hands on the deal and McLeod took his bag and backpack into his room and unpacked.

They went out for lunch, he being asked to pay only a third after attempting to pay the total bill.

"No said Athol, we desire a democratic living arrangement with no exploitation. Oh, remember to keep your hands off Cynthia."

"But I may kiss her?"

"Yes of course."

After lunch Cynthia took McLeod to Santa Monica Beach. It was only three blocks, perhaps four blocks away, and they walked around for a bit, Cynthia taking his arm.

"If you ever decide you want sex just let me know. Athol sometimes spends all day away from home."

"That is very kind of you but I gave Athol my word I'd not touch you."

"God you're naïve. Not for a minute does Athol expect you to honor that commitment."

CHAPTER 2

McLeod spend the next few days looking for work. At last Cynthia got the message and stopped pestering him for sex. The downside he really felt like sex and she appeared built for it. God he was an idiot.

On his second Saturday, still without work, McLeod felt settled in so called Janice, the woman's he'd met outside Union Station when he first arrived in LA.

"Please may I speak to Janice?"

"She's out. Are you the guy she met with you first arrived in LA, from Dallas I think she said?"

"Actually it was Austin."

"Right, I was just testing for security. She'd been waiting for you to call."

"That's good. How's baby Karen."

The guy sucked in breath. "You remember my daughter's name from just that one meeting?"

"Actually I didn't really meet her. Karen was asleep. But your wife said when I was settled her husband Al, she and baby Karen would like to have me over for lunch one Sunday when I'd settled in."

"She told you that?"

"Yes the offer was genuine, wasn't it?"

"Yes but you remembered that brief conversation and my name and Karen's name."

"Well I didn't have a lot in my mind at that moment and Al and Karen are easy names to remember in comparison with say Osvaldo and Inocencia."

"My god, Janice said you were open and interesting."

"Who me?"

"Yeah or do we have someone else involved in this conversation?"

"Sorry."

The guy laughed. Come to lunch tomorrow at 1:00. My parents will be there but they would be delighted to meet an interesting stranger.

"But I'm not interesting."

"That's exactly what Janice said you alleged. Well if she and I am wrong you just sit quietly and drink beer or wine and let us make the conversation."

"That you Al, I'll look forward to enjoying some homegrown hospitality."

"Fine, meet us just inside the main gates to the complex. We have booked the Number 3 cooker poolside. You'll recognize Janice by her breasts, but they'll appear larger because she'll be in a bikini. The weather forecast is great."

"Does Janice have breasts?"

"Oh very droll. I'm beginning to see what she'd seen in you. Our more interesting friends are Janice's finds."

The condo complex took McLeod's breath away. He recovered enough to give his name and was admitted to the security guy who found McLeod's name on the visitor's list.

He looked around for Number 3 cooker and found a cool hand being slid into his.

"Hi McLeod. I'm glad you accepted my offer."

"Hi Janice. How the hell did you have a baby and manage to keep that figure?"

"Oooh, only a country boy would ask that. Where do you hail from?"

"I was born and raised at Farmville, Virginia."

"Oh my, you're a long way from home. I grew up in Wyoming."

A smiling woman came forward.

"Mom, this is McLeod Jones from Virginia."

"How did you do Mrs Ryan?"

"Fine thank you young man. You may call me Helen."

"Okay Helen but what's your real name?"

She looked confused.

"It's a joke mom."

"Oh I see, I think."

"Apparent I appear reasonable when people get to know me Mrs... um... Helen."

"I'd like to think that's true."

"This overweight guy is my dad. I suppose I'll look like him in thirty years. Dad, this is..."

"McLeod Jones. Hi McLeod, called me Joe that's short for my real name Joseph. What do you think of LA?"

"Overly large, ugly in some ways, quite beautiful in others, great beaches, great weather so far and I think people who identify with their local community rather that attempting to take on the entire metropolis would probably get alone just fine."

"Did you read that in a travel brochure?"

"I don't think travel brochure's are that forthcoming."

Everyone laughed and Joe asked was McLeod a business analyst?

"Nope but I possess just a humble masters in business science with emphasis on business strategies and that did involve computer studies."

"Including the integration of computerization into the corporate structure?"

"Yes of course."

A slender blonde apart from a big chest wearing a bikini joined them.

"This is Al's sister Dana," Helen said.

"Oh hi. If I'd know we had company I would be worn a wrap."

"Hi Dana. I'm McLeod and you look great just as you are. I'm the one feeling out of place dressed like this. I'll change into my swim trunks. Are you married?"

"What interest would any answer to that be to you McLeod?" she replied coolly.

"If I pulled your bikini bottom off in the water and you were married, your husband, if you have one. might decide to shoot me."

"My father would be equally capable of doing that."

"Steady on you two. Why this complexity and hostility?" Helen asked.

"It revolved around McLeod wondering whether I'd be a good lay mother."

"McLeod?"

"I have little knowledge of the deviousness of the female mind Helen."

"Janice?"

"Dana is teasing in response to McLeod's teasing so don't be alarmed because it's your turn to be teased."

"Oh this is much too complicated for me," Helen sighed.

"I was teasing to test Dana's reaction," McLeod confirmed. "It is not necessary to understand such byplay. It's meaningless unless Dana decides to get serious."

"You guys have lost me Joe said. Is it bordering on courting."

"What's courting?" McLeod asked straight-faced and the two younger women laughed unrestrained.

McLeod walked off to change.

* * *

Helen said to her 21-year old, "Dana, would you please stop this nonsense. You're not going to have sex with him are you?"

"First things first mom. He hasn't asked and if he does ask I have to think carefully."

"But what about Daniel?"

"I've decided he's a ship that passes in the night."

"Well what about this McLeod?"

"I've decided nothing about him mother Please don't pressure me."

"Joe act like a responsible parent."

Joe took another beer. "I am. Our daughter is twenty-one, an adult. How she frames her life is her business within reason."

Janice said she agreed with that reasoning. "Ohmigod, look at him!"

The group turned to look.

Al said, "The guy must have been a top athlete at university with a body like that."

"Oh I want him," Dana gurgled.

Her mom gurgled too, but in anger. "Stop it Dana. We know nothing about him."

"Well first let's see how well he can swim," Al said and challenged their guest for a race over two lengths.

Lanes one and two were roped off for swimmers in serious training but were empty.

"Start us off dad," said Al, a good swimmer.

Al was halfway down the second lap when McLeod finished to be congratulated by the family.

As the family sat round with drinks McLeod was quizzed. But he stymied them apart from telling him about where he was born and grew up and going to college and on to university for his masters. He was not particularly forthcoming about family and described himself as a drifter who was looking for his future.

Joe said sternly, "Most of us stay put and work hard to attain our future through promotion and mixing with the right people."

"Well that's fine but what kind of self-determined future is that?"

The family found that difficult to answer but Janice had a response.

"Were you looking for your future outside Union Station when I first met you? And there was I thinking you were lost."

"I'm no visionary Janice. I knew exactly where I was on the planet at that moment but was disappointed with myself because despite all that thinking time on the train I had no plan for moving forward when I arrived in LA. I was cross because that was so stupid being so ill-prepared. But I'm set-up for the next month renting a room from a very pleasant and intellectually stimulating couple. As for looking for my future, my great fear is I might fail to recognize it when it confronts me."

"Ohmigod, you poor darling," Janice cried.

"And you have a heart of gold," McLeod hastened, correctly judging the family might think Janice had gone too far.

After lunch baby Karen was restless so Al said he'd walk her around the block.

"May I accompany you?"

"Sure McLeod," Al said in surprise.

Once out of sight of group McLeod asked very politely, "May I push Karen? I've never pushed a stroller or had much to do with babies."

"Sure, here you go. Look ahead to avoid bumps or obstacles and tilt the stroller up to go off the sidewalk and roll down any dip on the rear wheels and tilt back again to mount a sidewalk to get the front wheels on to the surface and then lift the back."

"Wow, all the things a mother has to think about."

"It comes naturally over time buddy but when a women gives birth what she'd capable of doing after that and how she copes will open your eyes about women."

"God they must think we guys are drones."

"Yeah right. They get over that by giving us jobs to do. You know Janice is right: you are a thoughtful and interesting guy. She calls most guys jerks."

"Well that tells me what she thought of you."

"Ah yes. As I said a thoughtful guy. Ask dad for a job. He'll fix you up."

"Thanks Al but no. That's begging for a future, not finding it."

"Sheet, with that conviction you are destined to find you future McLeod. Look at Karen, she's turning to look around at you. She knows there's something about you."

"Yeah, yeah. Nice try Al. How old is Karen?"

"Racing towards becoming a little girl; she's seven months."

When they returned to the family Janice came forward and unbuckling the baby harness cooed, "Did you have a lovely walk with these two handsome men?"

Karen of course said nothing. But when she was lifted out she twisted and held out her arms at McLeod.

"Ohmigod, she never does that to anyone but Al, me and Grandma Helen. Here take her McLeod."

McLeod leapt back two paces and said he knew nothing about babies.

"Think of babies as little people and not aliens and you'll be fine McLeod. Just do everything softly."

He gingerly took hold of the blue-eyed little bundle. She looked up at him and without due consideration said "dada".

"No," McLeod yelled and tried to hand Karen on to her father but Al placed his hands behind his back. Like the others he was laughing at McLeod's concern.

"She calls almost everything dada," he soothed.

Janice came up against McLeod, taking his arm. He could feel her breast against him and he was almost hyperventilating. God she and Al were so trusting. Suddenly he was wondering if he'd found a real family to love ahead of his near-dysfunctional family and began stroking the side of Karen's face with a finger.

The following week McLeod dated Dana twice, the second time reluctantly. She was far too light-brained for him, not that he was a snob, but he really had no interest in discussing Hollywood stars, favorite cocktails and peering into store windows after the movies. But each time he delivered nothing more than some hot kisses and some light groping at the movies. Each time they arrived home at her place Helen opened the door beaming and invited him in for coffee. McLeod found Dana's whispered cussing rather amusing and when he was leaving on that second evening she asked could they book into a hotel next time. He replied no, that she appeared a little too young for him. He was pushed out over the front step and the door slammed.

Goodbye Dana.

After three weeks McLeod told Cynthia he'd decided to move on at the end of the month and she said she'd be expecting that.

"Come in, there's someone here interested in meeting you.

Denise, Cynthia's sister, was in her mid thirties and worked as an office manager. They went out twice and got along very well, sharing similar interests. There didn't seem to be eleven years difference in ages.

On his second-last night in LA Cynthia invited McLeod to dinner at her apartment and also invited him to stay the night. Being smart, McLeod accept both invitations. The next night he took Cynthia, Athol and Denise to dinner at a delightful Thai restaurant and again he experienced the feeling he was amid family. Perhaps he meant he was in the company of real friends. Yes that was it. He was learning the art of making quality friends.

At the station it seemed everyone was there to see him off: Janice and Karen and Al, Helen and Joe (but not Dana) and Cynthia, Athol and Denise plus a couple of guys he'd befriended at the gym and had accompanied on runs and bike rides.

He was waved off on the Southwest Chief and felt like a prince. Then as he settled in he smiled knowing a courier delivery would be made to Janice next day, the Italian coffee-maker he'd heard her say to Al she hoped to possess before too long. Al had said they should wait till they'd saved and got her and Karen a car. The note would simply say, 'To Janice. Thanks to your initiative my month in Los Angeles turned almost into a dream existence. McLeod'.

God he wished he were there to see her face when she opened the delivery.

McLeod was near broke thanks to that extravagance of not working for that month in LA and buying that expensive gift. But he grinned, thinking he was much richer in life experience.

He'd booked a roomette for the long haul to Kansas City and spent three days looking around before boarding the next Chief through to end that leg of his journey in Chicago. It was inexplicable but as McLeod stepped on to the platform he knew this city was right for him, at least for a time.

On the train he'd thought about this arrival. He narrowed down the type of start-up employment he'd seek and would use that to launch into a real career and as soon as he was settled he'd call Desiree and invite her...

Who?

McLeod was shaken. He'd though the first name to jump to his lips would be Janice, despite her being taken. But Desiree? Jesus, that was weird. Apart from Dana she'd be the most unlikely...

"Who says?" he said aloud. He thought about that and then it boomed into his brain, Yes, the most logical choice. She was waiting for her future to come to her. Well she'd thought person would arrive but why not a phone call coming to her?

Yes!

He purchased a card and envelop, wrote his message saying hi and he was doing fine, and addressed the letter to 'Miss Desiree King, Kings Lumber Yard, Cincinnati', thinking there would be only one King Lumber Yard in a city of that size. He posted it and only then he thought he ought to have made the effort to find the full address on a station directory or gone to an Internet café. Well he was a bit dozy with all the travel and wandering around places.

McLeod took a cheap room in a cheap rooming house Downtown to use as his base. At an Internet Café he built up a list of twenty-two recruitment and job placement agencies and next day began visiting each one. But on the second-one the woman taking his application said, "I was born not far from where you lived in Virginia. My father was in the military and stationed at Fort Pickett."

"I know that area well ma'am."

The matronly woman looked at him closely and sighed. "My son went to France at your age looking to gain business experience in Europe and received a lucky break. Let's see what I can find for you rather than put you on a waiting list."

She worked at her computer for fifteen minutes and printed out a sheet of paper, attached McLeod's registration number to it and signed it and scanned a copy into their system.

"There you are. It's the best I can do. If it doesn't suit come back and ask for me."

"That is exceedingly kind of you Mrs Blackwell. I'll not forget this."

She smiled and said under her breath, "Oh but you will." At least that's what McLeod thought he heard.

The sign on the building stated Fyffe's Electronic Business Solutions Ltd.

Well the business category embraced his area of business interest,

Miss Fyffe, a craggy-faced women in her mid-forties said, "We have salespeople who sell the concepts. Our technicians come in behind and install the new systems and behind them come our experts who demonstrate the equipment and get employees up and running with it. Our need is for concept sellers who are more than sellers; we require them for have a broad business base. Your credentials indicate you have that depth but no apparent sales expertise?"

"What part of the job spec do you need most?"

"The broad business base to avoid under or over-selling. We want satisfied customers."