Drifter McLeod & Desiree

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Was that laying down a challenge? McLeod grinned wolfishly.

McLeod checked that everything had been unloaded by the cabbie before paying him. Desiree had raced inside to find her mother. McLeod smiled as he heard the shrieking. They'd advised they would be arriving but the train had been late. The plan had been for Desiree to go in and carefully explain that she had resigned, that only McLeod had been fired but she had decided she didn't want life in Chicago without him being there.

Michelle came out alone.

"Hi McLeod. You are very welcome here."

"Thank you. Does that rate a hug?"

Michelle hugged and then kissed him and still in his arms brushed his fringe back and thanked McLeod for doing his best for Desiree.

"You have given her a real taste what life is really like. She says she'd not disappointed the Chicago venture is over because you have assured her the momentum is underway."

"Yes," McLeod said, dropping his hand and easing free. "I believe that absolutely. This is simply a temporary setback. Something will happen."

"Well Jake has a position for you at the yard. It's only stacking lumber I'm afraid and loading outgoing orders."

"That's fine. I'm grateful."

"Desiree told me you two only became a couple three nights ago. I thought that would have occurred weeks ago."

"Let's just say I waited until she was ready."

"You're a fine young man McLeod although I'm sure you do have some rough edges. Come inside for coffee and then you two go down to the yard and reunite with Jake and John. Harry has gone away so his vehicle is available to your two. Harry's been accepted into the Air Force under the helicopter maintenance apprenticeship program and is really loving it and has a whole bunch of new friends already."

* * *

Eleven days after starting stacking timber and then being promoted to testing moisture content in stacked sawn lumber, McLeod received a call from Evan Wright's secretary.

"Please hold for Professor Wright."

"Hi pal. A little bird told me you have fallen on hard times because your company had hit the wall."

"Yeah, but I have work with my girl friend's family stacking and checking lumber."

"So you're not interested in an offer?"

"If it's challenging, yes."

"My university department here in Dallas has been searching for the right person to set up a business laboratory where we can give post-graduates taking master's degrees and doctorates absolute hands-on experience in an actual business environment, with office desks, a board room, a CEO, planning teams, project reviews, credible clients, weekly executive meetings... the lot. Our business foundation fund committee budget as given me approval in principle to set it up. All I have to do is to front up with the right person and pal, I reckon it's you. I've taken your CV to the committee chairman and he's very interest in you as you have already proven you can fly. You've done incredibly well for your age and level of experience. You'd get six months to set up everything and then head the laboratory as CEO. Interested."

"Well if my girlfriend could be part of the team."

"That shouldn't be a problem. We often have to grease palms to get the right person. She could be the coffee lady."

"Desiree has a master's in business science, with a major in change management."

"Oh that's interesting. What say I send you air tickets and coupon for two nights in a great hotel and you come and talk to me and then meet the grants committee chairman and if he takes to you then you'll appear before the committee."

"Okay."

"Is that all? Not oh Evan, I'm so excited about this offer dropping like manna from heaven?"

"I know you know I'm thinking that so why waste time appealing to your ego? You have more important things to do."

"Oh right pal. I'll put you back to Christine to take down personal details and the airport you wish to fly from."

McLeod waited in the office for Desiree to finish a call.

"Hi," she smiled. "Is everything swimming?"

"I guess so he drawled. "Something's come up, just as I predicted. How would you like a business career at a university with a start salary of, well I'm only guess, 45k, with me as your immediate boss?"

"Ohmigod."

"The university is in Dallas."

"Ohmigod, there are glorious malls and boutiques in Dallas."

"What about a career?"

"Oh that too."

"Well the tickets will arrived in a day or so and then let's see what happens. Let's take your family out to dinner tonight on the strength of this."

"This Professor Wright. He's popped up from nowhere hasn't he?"

"Not quite. I spent quite a bit of time with him at that workshop I attended in Houston. I just thought he was rather tedious probing my background."

"Why couldn't he find a suitable person within his own ranks?"

"I guess he wants a new boy on the block, an innovative person. This project will be modeled on the courtroom law schools set up to provide tuition and opportunity for experience under an authentic appearing environment. This project will cost big money and will place his reputation on the line. He's been looking for someone who'll make it work, someone he is confident he can trust."

"But how can he know to trust you after only sitting with you at presentations and in the bar?"

"Well it's a funny thing baby. I didn't realize it at the time and probably Prof Wright didn't. It's just one of those pieces that sometimes completes the picture just at the right time. Let me tell you about it."

"On the night of the dinner/cabaret I met Evan's wife and her sister. Evan's wife happens to be a hot number by the name of Savannah. Well the sister decided to go home immediately after dinner and Evan gallantly said he'd take her home. His wife Savannah chose to stay and said she'd take a cab home."

"Ohmigod, how could that be trust, leaving his hot wife along with you, no doubt both of you drinking?"

"Well it's a funny thing, I guess part of my growing up. I thought I spotted lust on Savannah's face and she certainly thrust her pointy tits under her skimpy dress in my direction. But somehow it didn't seem right and then I knew that was because you loomed large in my life, even though we were not having sex. So I indicated I wasn't interested and she went home minutes later muttering darkly. And from that I guess Evan knew I was a guy he could trust, even with left alone with his wife. But this is pointless theory. It's unlikely we'll never know."

"Ohmigod how tenuous some people's impressions must be. But I'm very proud of you darling. I like this Evan already and his Savannah might be able to give me some good tips on how to please a man."

"Er that's a very positive approach Desiree. Let's crack this one to end up with great jobs in Dallas, huh?"

In Dallas, sitting with Evan waiting to the called before the grants committee, McLeod asked casually, "How did you find my position in Chicago had terminated?"

"Oh I was up there on a flying visit and called in to saw a quick hi to my aunt, mom's sister. You know her... Emily McTavish."

THE END