Drifter McLeod & Desiree

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Yeah. She appears to be a bit slightly old fashion..."

"You mean she didn't allow you to paw her first date?"

"Yeah and also the second date. How did you know that?"

"I was an old fashion girl in my day," Miss McTavish sniffed.

McLeod thought he'd bet she was and remained just like that. She probably wore nightdresses to touch the ground and a cat called Samantha went to sleep at the end of her bed. Miss McTavish tapped her fingers impatiently and so he continued the story.

"Is that it?"

"Yes."

"So you wish to bring this charming lady to Chicago to prepare her for a ravishing?"

"Did I say that?"

"Well I suppose not."

"Well don't exaggerate. My term for it would be to woo her."

"Oh I see. You'll host her in your apartment but will not touch her until several weeks of wooing reach a climax."

McLeod's face dropped. "Several weeks?"

"Ah, impatient are we? Well let me tell you this. No way will that innocent girl's mother allow her to come to Chicago to be groped by you on her first night in the city."

"Damn."

"Now is that being a gentleman?"

"Ah no Miss McTavish. I apologize."

"A friend of mine runs a hostel for young business women coming to Chicago to further their business education. Is Desiree well educated?"

"She has a MS in management. She told me her studies concentrated on change management and leadership development."

"Hmmm very interesting because we are about to launch into internal restructuring. I'll check to see if we can place her somewhere suitable. You would find her mother may object less if she knows Desiree will be housed in a hostel for young business women and you have found her suitable employment."

"She helps out in the office at the lumber yard where her mom is admin boss. She appears to be a very capable young woman and is restrained and conservative."

"I already gather she is restrained and conservative. I'll contact you Monday with a job offer."

On Monday a major announcement was made. Max had returned from a business trip to announce he'd successfully completed negotiations to purchase a similar business in San Francisco.

"It's been a hectic weekend talking to people here about being relocated in 'Frisco because that business needs a major overhaul before being built up substantially."

McLeod guessed he wasn't going to the West Coast because Max hadn't spoken to him.

Max read out to the assembled management team the names of people who would be transferring and the names of two who would be arriving from 'Frisco to integrated into the Chicago team. With a start McLeod heard one of the newcomers would take his job.

"McLeod sorry about this but I hadn't gotten round to you to discuss this. You are taking over here as director of field operations. Is that okay?"

"It's swell boss," McLeod said, his heart almost bursting with pride. Holy smoke, this was a promotion he'd believe would be perhaps five years away."

Max continued outlining other ramifications.

"It's all happening for you," Miss McTavish said, entering McLeod's office. "Max is up to his neck with contract so I'm assisting. Here is your new contract and Miss King's, plus details of her living arrangement and my letter to her mother asking her to contact me if she has any concerns. It's all in an envelope addressed to Miss Desiree King, with the correct address. All you have to do is to add her train ticket. I suggest you book her into a roomette because it's substantially a night journey. Any questions?"

"H-how could there be? You've thought of everything," said McLeod. "Thanks a million."

"My pleasure. You may have gathered I'm treating you much like a male nephew. Oh, one more thing. I suggest Eva's sister is out of the picture by the time Miss King arrives, if she arrives?"

"Great idea. I'll action it," McLeod said, his confidence falling around him in pieces. How the fuck had she found out? Eva hadn't indicated she knew, either telling him she knew or giving him the cold shoulder. How the hell?"

"S-should I deliver the package personally?"

"You decide McLeod. My view is this is the way to do it, remotely. There's not nearly as much emotion involved and it greatly negates family interference. I believe it will become a debate between Desiree and her mother. Desiree may well tell her mother to butt out but that shouldn't matter. Desiree should make her decision or rejection unaided as this entire wacky thing is between Desiree and you."

CHAPTER 4

Desiree came down late for breakfast. She was moping, bored out of her mind. She was itching for something to happen but it never did. God was this how most people in the world lived, unhappily.

The family was looking at her rather oddly. Well that was odd. Had she left all her panties on the drying rack? No, she'd collected them last night.

Then she saw it.

Obviously someone had been out for the mail.

But why were they acting oddly?

"It's a package from Chicago," her father drawled. "Who do you want invited for your farewell party."

"What?"

"No way is my Desiree going," her mom shrilled.

"What?"

"It's an offer from your boyfriend," said John. "My thinking it will be a good one because he doesn't appear to be the type of guy who doesn't waste his time. I can't believe you didn't give it to him."

"John King, shut you foul mouth," yelled his mom.

The brothers grinned, thinking this was a ripper of a breakfast gathering. Usually breakfast was a boring event.

The big envelope was on Desiree's place at the table. She sat, put a hand out and then withdrew it.

Harry said Desiree was frightened it was a bear trap.

"Shut up Harry," said his father Jake. "Desiree thinks her future has arrived."

"Oh god," Michelle sobbed into her apron.

The others ate silently as Desiree opened the package.

First she pulled out the ticket.

"It's on open ticket for a roomette on the F1 Cardinal to Chicago."

"Holy smoke, McLeod has style," John said. "I picked he was a good guy."

Desiree pulled out a piece of letterhead paper.

"This is from the proprietor of a rooming house for businesss women arriving in Chicago to upgrade their studies. She will keep a room available for the next two weeks and says she is a friend of Miss McTavish."

"Who's Miss McTavish?" Jake asked.

"I have no idea."

Desiree pulled out a document envelope and opened it. "Ohmigod, it's a contract from a Chicago company for me to work as assistant to the change manager for six months when I could be offered alternative employment, subject to my performance history. My salary will be $3000 a month."

"Christ that's more than I'm getting," said John and you've never worked.

"There is a brief description of the company. It says it's called Corporation Business Systems International Inc. and has an annual turnover of about 1.5 billion dollars."

"Million," corrected her father.

"No the 1.5 billion is in figures and spelt out in brackets."

Father and son stared at Desiree, mouths open.

"Ohmigod, you're going, aren't you," her mother sobbed.

"Yes mother. My future is calling me."

"That's bullshit," Michelle screamed and her boys grinned delightedly. Their mom never used bad language.

Jake growled, "Steady on darling. The girl is entitled to her dream."

"I fear for not only losing her but what might happen to Desiree in that wicked, wicked city."

Harry, the pragmatist said, "Mom the good people in Chicago will vastly outnumber the baddies."

"Oh mom," he's a letter addressed to you. It's an elderly woman's handwriting."

"How the fuck can you can you tell that?"

"Watch your mouth John."

"Sorry everyone."

"Yes it is an older women's handwriting," Michelle said, leaving the three guys looking nonplussed.

"You don't have to read it out to us," Desiree said, taking her mom's free hand.

"No it's fine. It will be connected to your future."

Michelle blew her nose and commenced reading:

'Dear Mrs King

Forgive my intrusion in this matter that may be heart wrenching for you. Even in my forty-four years of active business life I've never been associated with such an extraordinary proposal at this. But I'll try not to influence you unduly because you have to make a mother's decision.

My name is Emily McTavish (Miss) and I'm personal assistant to Mr Max Fyffe, chairman and chief executive officer of Corporation Business Systems International Inc, as I was to Max's father before him. Young Mr McLeod Jones came to work for us almost five months ago and has being an inspiration to everyone he is in control of in his executive position.

McLeod and I, who are both of Scottish descent, for some reason really hit it off. I do suspect on my side it's because he treats me like a young woman and I know he regards me as a good sounding board and good advisor. Because of this relationship, and I recently told McLeod that I now regard him like a nephew, perhaps meaning great-nephew, he confided to me about his attraction to your daughter Desiree, but his interest goes even going beyond that/ He has this desire to give her the opportunity to find her way in life.

I thought that was one of the most romantic concepts I'd ever heard or read about. He asked whether he should go to you and your family and appeal to Desiree to return to Chicago with him or to do it this way. I took heed of what he'd said about Desiree waiting for her future to come to her. I had to say this was the appropriate way to achieve the result McLeod desired for Desiree.

I suggested we find employment for Desiree and find her accommodation of which you were likely to approve Mrs King. I anticipated you'd not take kindly to Desiree going off to a new city, to begin a new job and immediately be living with someone she scarcely knows.'

"Damn right," Michelle said, rustling the sheet of paper and sniffing.

'Well there it is. Desiree will be located in an office very close to me while McLeod is at the other end of the building where at the end of this week he takes over as director of our entire field operations on a very impressive salary and a company car goes with the job plus an expense account. I'm telling you, he is doing very well."

I guess we will meet soon Mrs King. If Desiree comes here then when you visit her Mrs King you are welcome to stay with me in my apartment. I always enjoy good company and I understand you are, quote, a real honey, unquote.

Think carefully Desiree but remember none of this is irreversible.

Emily McTavish.'

"This is a fucking set-up, a fucking conspiracy," John yelled.

"I agree," Jake said.

Desiree burst into tears.

Harry looked at his mom. "I'm with you mom. What do you decide? You always handle these crises the best of us."

"Jake, begin organizing the farewell party. Desiree is going to Chicago. Er, if that's what she wants."

"Oh mom," Desiree said, leaping on to her mom's knee and hugging her. "You are the greatest mother in the world. I know I'm rising twenty-five but I would have been reluctant to go against your wishes."

Harry looked on the back of Miss McTavish's letter.

"Hey Bub," he said to Desiree. "Here's prince charming's mobile telephone number and email address. Don't keep him waiting longer than necessary."

* * * The Amtrak train pulled in early, just after 9:15.

"Go to her McLeod. I'll wait here," said Miss McTavish.

McLeod had no idea where she was on the train and he missed spotting her at first and then on the way back saw her with two large bags, standing and smiling at him. She looked lovely.

He skidded to a half in front of her.

"Good morning Mr Jones."

"Er, good morning Miss King."

"We must be meeting like this. It's very improper."

"Eh?"

She smiled and then he knew he was being teased.

He moved in, she tilted her face and he kiss her lips firmly.

"Ooh Mr Jones. Very improper but very lovely."

He grinned and said welcome to Chicago.

"You said on the phone last night you'd have Miss McTavish with you."

"She's here. I'll take you to her. She insisted I have a few moments alone with you. She is very precise like that."

"Oh I do hope I'll like her. I'm not all that good with older women."

"Treat her exactly as one of your friends. Make no concessions. You may be surprised."

They went to Miss McTavish. She smiled and waved. She was on the phone.

"Here you are Desiree, it's your mom. I called her as soon as I saw McLeod greeting you."

"Oh hi mom..."

They delivered Desiree to here accommodation and Miss McTavish went in with her, saying she'd return to the office by cab. McLeod had already arranged to pick up Desiree at 7:00 to take her to dinner. She'd been to Chicago several times so found it unnecessary to be shown around.

McLeod knew Desiree was unlikely to fall into his arms, that she'd require a bit of persuading, but felt up to that. The only problem he anticipated was she'd slow things to her pace. He wondered about Saturday night. Perhaps they ought to try to get cancellation tickets to a show but what shows did she like? He had no idea.

When parking under the office building he took a call from Crissy. Well they had agreed to continue as friends.

"Hi, has she arrived?"

"Yes and looking good."

"I'm pleased for you. Look I'm celebrating my twenty-eighth birthday at home on Saturday night. I'd like you two to come."

"Well, um..."

"Please, I'd like you both there. This young women will need friends in this big city and there will be mostly younger people there."

"Um okay. But how do you explain knowing me to your husband. Saying you've only known my carnally won't be a good idea."

"God you're funny," Crissy said laughing. "I thought about that before calling. We both are members of Gulliver's gym."

"Yeah but I've never seen you there. I go mornings."

"Well add some early evening sessions. I go early evenings Tuesday and Thursday."

"Okay, I'll be there this Thursday. It could pay to introduce me to some of your friends if any going to the party will be there. Tell them I sometimes help you adjust your rowing machine."

"Oh yeah, good thinking. Actually I never get it adjusted how I would like it."

Reaching his office McLeod thought of another complication. Eva would be at the party.

Oh crap.

He went in and she greeted him brightly and said he must be pleased about reuniting with his sweetheart.

"It went fine. Um, she's not my sweetheart yet."

"May I talk to you very personally McLeod."

"Sure, shoot."

"Have you given up my sister yet?"

"What?" McLeod asked in shock.

"Very well... if you don't wish..."

"No, listen. I was coming in to tell you about it."

"What I wish to hear is you saying it's off, ended."

"Yes it's ended, absolutely. We decided to continue as friends and Crissy has just called to invite Desiree and me to her party on Saturday night. I accepted and then realized you'd be there and knew my cover would be blown. We tried to be very discreet."

"But not discreet enough. Miss McTavish saw you two enter a restaurant where she was with friends, eating very late for her she said. She confided in me and asked me to ask you to break it off before Desiree arrived but I decided you beast I'd leave you to fry in your own mess."

"Beast? I don't think Crissy would accept that term."

"I bet she wouldn't. She always had loose morals even as a kid though not sexually at that time."

"Well it's over to you."

"It's none of my business. I'll not say anything."

"Crissy will explain to her husband we've become friendly at the gym and she found you were my PA."

"God you two are connivers of professional standard. You are aware that having sex with Crissy, a married women, is adultery don't you?"

"No.

"Oh come on."

"Yes I do. I'm sorry to have offended you. I'll support your transfer application."

"I'm going nowhere. You are great at your job and you brought me across to this new position with an increase in grading and pay. Also for your information I haven't decided I won't have sex with you if asked when we are away overnight at that workshop next week."

"You thinking about sex er adultery with me? But I thought you were unobtainable?"

"McLeod for goodness sake, don't embarrass me. I only said I hadn't decided against saying no to the possibility."

"Isn't that a double negative."

"You'd do better taking a lesson on morality rather than attempting to lecture on English grammar."

McLeod laughed and stroked down the side of her face, breaching office guidelines covering intimacy. "There's a little tiger in you. Please fetch us coffee."

"God McLeod Jones. No wonder my sister rolled over for you."

* * *

McLeod and Desiree connected well over dinner as an inexpensive restaurant where McLeod sometimes went and knew it had the right atmosphere where she could relax. He confirmed she was very polite, had good manners and spoke thoughtfully. He told her about the company and she listened attentively and again when he described how he landed in Chicago jobless and since that first lucky break at the job placement agency he'd been in a roll.

Desiree appeared nervous about starting her job in the morning. He said she must relax and remain confident.

"It's my first job working outside the family and during term breaks at college."

"I know, but nothing will be all that different, only perhaps things will appear a little more switched on. You have studied change management and your manager Carl might even think you know things he doesn't but don't be over eager to demonstrate that."

At the door to the hostel just when McLeod was wondering about going to Desiree's room she pointed to the notice, 'No male visitors on these premises between the hours of 8:00 pm and 8:00 am.'

"So it's good night here in the porch?"

"Yes I'm afraid so. I had a lovely evening. Thank you for everything."

Desiree kissed him sweetly and then skipped into the lobby and used her key to enter the building proper, waving good night.

Well if he wanted Desiree he'd have to play it her way plus with a bit of persuasion.

Saturday was a fun night.

The house was large and being a fine evening the party started outdoors with drinks and nibbles.

Eva had told McLeod Crissy was eight years younger than her husband Morgan who was a defense attorney of rising acclaim. The guy appeared very friendly and said Crissy had said she'd met McLeod at the gym.

"We have a gym at our offices," Morgan said and they were discussing fitness regimes when Crissy arrived champagne for Desiree and beer for McLeod.

"Come along Desiree, I'll introduce you to some of my friends and get you away from boring men's talk."

"How did you meet Desiree?"

"I was lost in the outskirts of Cincinnati some months ago and saw her struggling with two cartons of food so helped her out. We got talking and she took me home for breakfast. I stayed a couple of nights with her family and could get to lay a finger on Desiree and that rather interested me. And then she said something that would later ring a bell with me. She'd told me about her background and education and then made this statement: 'I'm waiting for my future to find me'. I thought that was pretty cool."

"Ah, so do I. Neat phrasing. And so when you became established here you found an opening for her?"

"More or less but with help from senior management."

"Crissy had told me after she met you she found you were Eva's boss."

"Yes, a remarkable coincidence in the city the size of Chicago but to tell you the truth I saw her with Eva once and at the gym I thought she looked familiar. I'd not long arrived here so didn't know many people so I helped her adjust her rowing machine. She just couldn't figure it out."

"Yeah she'd not mechanical. Come and I'll introduce you to some of the partners. Doing this keeps us away from women's small talk."