Flapper Dick Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
emap
emap
237 Followers

"If you got one not doing anything." The one we got snorts.

"We are all doing things, though a lot of that is waiting on information from contacts. In your case though we do have a detective handling a jewelry theft from recent, five days ago now. He is waiting on seeing if the fingerprints lifted match up, with your information he perhaps has headway." He turns away and yells out for a John.

Different fella stands up and comes over. This one is older than us by a fair bit, as in he didn't go to war since was too old for it. He is also wearing a blue suit and that is very nice looking, and not because it is a tailor suit, he has a store bought suit. I like the look of it since it is blue, it is a fourth color and not many have those so anyone wearing stands out good in regular old suit.

"Before anything else, where did you buy that suit?" He snorts and the other detective walks away.

"I got it at Penney, they have blue suits as a way to stand aside from the rest." Fred looks at me so I nod.

"Same thing tailors do, just with Penney it wasn't so much as have customers as get more fellas to come to them instead of the perhaps cheaper stores or a tailor."

"Ace and a half for the suit, it has a vest but I don't wear since it makes the jacket tighter with pistol."

"I do custom jackets for bulls and made men if you want to wear the vest. I have a roll of blue and not used so far." John snorts and shrugs.

'I heard tell on and honest it sounds Jake, but then also an ace. Sits fine without the vest so I just skip the vest. Also not said why I am over here." I poke Fred who rolls his eyes.

"We got assigned to the shot down fella in the alley. Not a made man it was a jewelry crew. The shot fella was named Paul and he fenced to Simon a necklace the shooter wanted for a Kelly." John nods and grins.

"I see why you called me and hang on, I got a listing and description of the stolen jewelry so we can go talk to Simon. May not be the same Simon, I mean if he is the fence and has the necklace chances are even the Simon that does is offed and we don't have another offed fella." I am frowning at that, though there is a question to ask.

"Would a fence sell stolen jewelry that fast?" John shakes his head.

"Not really and yes. Depends on the fence, some have jewelers in other states who will take the stolen items so simply phone up and detail what there is and get a price fixed for the pay. If don't have that they are phoning other fences, usually with stolen jewelry all you have to do is move to a different city. Nobody will without having a payment set up. That is either done through the mail or one goes to the other and does it by hand."

"So if Simon is still phoning around he has the necklace and is not shot." John nods then shrugs.

"Yes, but then also perhaps not. If he has a buyer set up he would be on the train and not there to get shot. So we go to the Simon we know and see if he is there and check to see if he has anything else stolen I am after."

"What do we do if he doesn't?"

"We ask Simon, if he is not a fence chances are good he knows of other fellas who will. He will also offer them up fast, a detective and dicks asking means if he is fencing but not this he wants us gone and to look like a law abiding."

Makes sense, and then he is going to his desk to get his list. Seems to be a big list since there are two pieces of paper he takes up, then looking around and puts those in a folder. Back over to us so downstairs with us and out the door. He will go around with us so that is alright though we are going to stop at five, Fred and I work today.

John is happy since usually detectives stop at five too. Then driving for a little while, Simon is in south side. I get John laughing when I talk about why I am happy on staying south side. Reaching Simon we find, at least I do, that Simon is actually running a pawn shop. Which could mean he does actually fence, and then it could mean he is simply a pawnbroker and the bulls don't like him.

Inside we find a lot of things crammed into a small area. As in he is selling those things and there are a goodly number of things I am unsure on being pawned in the first place. Looking around I don't spot jewelry, but then there is a glass counter with things in. A fella is standing there and frowning, I suppose he knows John is a bull.

"Simon don't frown so much, it's bad for business. Actually a reason we are here, these two are investigating a shot down fella. Know his name was Paul and he was shot since the shooter wanted a necklace that was given to Simon for a lot of dough." Fella behind the counter tosses his hands and waves at the counter.

"All I got in jewelry, check that if you want." John nods and looks over there for a little while and doesn't open the folder.

"These two are also dicks, so what they do I don't mind and they can do all sorts of things, like demand to see in the back. I would simply follow along for your safety." Fella gets fidgety now so I pull my pistol.

"What he said, take us in back." Fred glances at me but doesn't say anything.

Simon puts his hands up and looks at John who is looking at the ceiling. Then Simon is pointing for a gate to get behind the counters so Fred goes to that and opens, he reaches over to undo the slide. Then we all four go into the back where John does open up the folder. Course I am wondering on that part, but also not something I can care about so leave that to John and Fred.

"Relax I won't shoot you and unless you got stolen jewelry nobody else cares on if you do take stolen items. This is instead on if you have seen a fella making noise about a necklace." Simon puts his hands down and let's out a breath.

"I don't take stolen jewelry, or anything else stolen and honest back here is collateral on a loan nothing else. As for the fella I have seen that, two days ago a fella came in looking for a necklace that a Paul handed over to me. I didn't take a necklace and that time I was taken back here at revolver point to get searched. Had to clean up after but no jewelry. What I got out there fellas bring in to sell outright."

"I'll ask after the fella but first, fellas bring in jewelry to sell?"

"Yeah, I ask. Most are selling a ring he got for a skirt to get manacles on but that falls through. So I have a good assortment of engagement rings, and then some wedding rings since sometimes it falls through after he gets those."

"They don't keep for the next skirt?" Simon snorts and shakes his head.

"Most skirts have different ring sizes, most are in a short range but best to simply sell off what you have and buy new if you find a new skirt." Nod after a moment since that makes sense and I should have known that.

"Are you sure it is the fella fixing to ask a skirt that falls through?" Simon shakes his head.

"No, but then I am doing it on good faith and if someone comes in complaining that a ring is stolen I hand it back. Most are bought to sell at a sawbuck if that much so I am out plenty but do make good enough sales."

"Sort of cheap to be selling, but then suppose since it was for a skirt that decided to say no. So tell me about the fella."

"The fella was about six foot. I am an inch under and looked up a little so six foot, but may fall just under or go above to. He wore a hat and didn't take off, which didn't comment on since he was storming and then waving the revolver. I see storming fellas semi often, those are the ones selling rings. Big nose so I would suppose perhaps Jewish, but then not always telling just on that. Didn't look odd so suppose not that anyway. Blue eyes and I think brown hair, which doesn't help I know." Grin now since this is a good description.

"I'm going to assume he was thin, sort of a fella you expect to be doing office work." Simon is nodding.

"Yes, he never shared his name, stormed in, yelled plenty, half with a revolver, then forces into the back and goes through everything by yanking. On that side I am so glad I was paid off on the glass lamp and not in here anymore." I am nodding since I would be too, those are easily worth a sawbuck. "So after he does the yanking he is back pointing his revolver at me, pressed into my nose even and demanding to know about a fence named Simon. I gave up the only other Simon I know, he does jewelry, but he makes it." John is standing there at this point, and grinning now.

"Nice to know, and I am sorry for the attention we have paid to you. We will be nicer but you do run a pawn shop." Simon nods and shrugs.

"I know, and I do know that many are little more than fences. If you ask nice I will let you go in the back to check but asking me will work better, I don't want to deal in stolen." John nods and scratches at his head.

"Where is this Simon who does jewelry?"

"He has a shop up closer to north side other side of the river. If he is a fence wouldn't you know about him?" John shakes his head.

"We only know of those that we have caught with stolen property or we get pinched fellas to turn on. We will go talk to him since you sent a fella to him, that Simon is either offed, had the necklace, or sold one to the fella in question. Perhaps know the name so we can run down the shooter."

"Hopefully knows of other Simon's who perhaps do fence. Unless the shooter bought a necklace, or stole one he was told of another place to go." John is nodding and we are leaving, and Simon is happy with not cleaning up after us.

Pile in the jalopy and get on our way, which ends up being a little out of the way to cross. Mostly on account of had an accident on the bridge we would cross at. Truck veered off and hit a jalopy then the pilings. So most of the bridge is blocked up and not enough room for a jalopy, so we go to the next bridge over and across.

Takes a little while so after this Simon we will call it a day. John even is saying this as we pull up in front of the jewelry shop. Which is good though there is one thing I want to ask on so keep us at the jalopy.

"Stopping after this is a good idea, what I am wondering on is if we are then taken out of the investigation?" John is shaking his head.

"You are court appointed so this is your investigation, and then I am simply waiting on the fingerprints. If those give up names then I have an avenue of investigation opened up we may need, and may not be the same crew. I will not go after a name we get out of here until you come back to the station, I know you both are out all night."

"If you get names out of the fingerprints?" Fred asks getting John to grin.

"I will wait for you two, so much better to have a group for these since if it is a crew they tend to live in the same apartment building or hotel." Fred is nodding now though I am curious on one thing.

"So if you have names from a jewelry caper, you go alone?" John nods.

"Usually, sometimes I can spot a patrol and have them come along. If I don't spot to get help I have to go stand in the street and wait for a patrol to yell at me, or call in, and that doesn't always work." Grin since that is an amusing picture in my head, though there is one thing.

"Can't you ask the other detectives?"

"I can and do, but usually we assume there is not a group of armed fellas waiting on us. I mean usually it isn't anything more than showing up and some yelling about being innocent."

Fred nods when I look at him, so we go inside the jewelry store. This is a small store, but then there is more space behind the counter since there is a door and a fella comes out when we come in. Over to the counter he comes and we go to him.

"Aren't you two a little old to be going with her dad?" Fred rolls his eyes and I am giggling, John frowns and pulls out his badge.

"Police detective and a couple of dicks. These are the court appointed and we are hunting for a shooter that offed a fella named Paul over a necklace. I am along since I am after a jewelry heist and obviously there is jewelry involved." Fella nods and puts his hands up.

"I don't buy jewelry stolen or otherwise." I snort and shake my head.

"Actually we are after the shooter, apparently your name is Simon and the shooter was told to come here, you do jewelry so in a sort of manner what he wanted."

"I'd ask what the fella looks like but think I know, about six foot rather average looking with a big nose." I am nodding and smile.

"Yes, we have blue eyes too, but then you perhaps didn't get close enough. Unless he is here we want his name or where you sent him." The fella frowns and shakes his head.

"I didn't send him anywhere. He was yelling and waving a revolver around, I told him I don't buy jewelry and offered to let him go and look. He went over the store, which I would like you to do the same if you have the dough, then tossed his hands and left muttering about must have been that fella. He didn't actually say fella but it is an uncouth word and I don't want to use it in front of a lady." I am grinning since that is funny, and sweet, though there is one thing.

"Did he say one of the derogatory words like wop or mick?"

"No, it was one of the words one uses in reference to a person of not a specific nationality who is rather poor to be knowing." John and Fred are nodding, I am too since I have heard the word before.

Do look over his shop and some of the things are a really great price, he works in more than gold, there is silver and even fake gems so one can look to be doing good and not be. I point out one that I want, it is silver and pearl earrings, except poorly formed pearl so that part is only worth maybe an ace for both.

The earrings are beautiful though, it is simply a little hook to go through my ears with a facing to that, and then hanging pearls. It is almost like having crying ears and I like them. Fred pokes at me but we do buy the earrings, only an Abe Cabe for the whole thing. John is smiling, and not precisely at me buying, and kicking Fred since he paid.

Out to the jalopy we go and then back to the station. We will drop John off and then head for a diner. At least I hope so since I am hungry and we are not all that late. Drop John off with him promising to check in the phone book and the business listings. Then we are off to our work, I don't mind there is a good diner near to our speakeasy so we can stop there to eat fast.

"I'm starting to feel like your moneybags." Sigh and snort since true, he carries the dough.

"I have some coins on me to stop for a diner or something. I mean you have more pockets for everything we take along."

"I'd like to argue but true. Still feel like the moneybags and we don't have all that much."

"No but we put everything into that box. I also think perhaps if Capone is funding that store that I demand a cut of the profits. His people do most of the skirts and such to be sold, but it's my designs." Fred is nodding and grins.

"I was wondering if you even thought of that. If we do get a nanny doesn't that mean we need a second machine?" Ponder that then shrug since perhaps.

"Maybe, she may find she doesn't like to do that much. I mean I only go on the thing for when we get a fella come for a jacket."

"I'm a little surprised you haven't just made me a suit yet." Snort and shake my head.

"If we have a fire in the closet and the house doesn't burn down I can make fast clothes to get you to a store. Assuming we have dough left over." Fred sighs and nods since we just have a box, cigar to be specific.

"I wouldn't mind getting a safe, but then have to put that somewhere and the closet in our room is the only place we can without sticking outside the house or into another room." Ponder that and shake my head.

"No, for one simple reason, we can get a smaller safe and put under a table and then cover it. Like litter the table with the sheer cloth and a table cloth or something so can't see under. A safe cracker wouldn't go to our house unless Capone says. Besides we have four bulls on our street, nobody will go along it for anything but law abiding reasons."

Fred snorts and doesn't say anything since we are close to work, and then we are pulling in at a diner. I am happy with this since I am hungry, and perhaps Fred is. Inside we go and take a seat and wait for the waitress. Annoying but she was in the bathroom so hard to fault her. Course she has turned red as she comes over and then a fella comes out of the bathroom, one bathroom.

Get a menu so I giggle into the menu until she swats me with her pad and grins. We both order a burger, except not just a burger, there are cheeseburgers here. Since we don't normally get those, not all diners carry the cheese, we order those. I also get a chocolate malted so Fred is looking at me funny, then she has walked away.

"Extra hungry?" Shake my head.

"Just hungry and then a malted sounds good. I always have chocolate."

"Look at it from my end, we meet skirts and you are talking of needing a nanny, and then we get here and you order a cheeseburger with fries and a malted, little extra eating since we had a good sized breakfast." Sigh and kick Fred.

"We also did plenty of running around today, not to mention a nookie shower." Waitress snorts and sets down my malted.

"I can't decide what to be more jealous on, a nookie shower or having a shower."

"Shower wasn't that expensive, though apartment may not let you put one in." She is nodding.

"Mostly I'm just glad for my own bathroom with a bath. Building next to mine has floor bathrooms."

"I don't think I could stand that. I had a small apartment until the big lug made me move in with him. I mean separate bathroom but a hide away bed." She is giggling and Fred is giving me a dirty look.

"I didn't make you move in, I suggested you could since big house and just me."

"You are also giving a really wonderful try at knocking me up."

"I'm not sure it's possible to not have a fella give a really wonderful try at that." Look up at her and nod.

"It is possible, not all fellas are good at the nookie."

"You sampled enough to know." Fred says so roll my eyes and kick him again.

"That was sort of rude." Waitress says though I shake my head.

"Accurate, I'm Speakeasy Betty, so most every single day since January of twenty one I have been in speakeasies and most days I gave it out." Her jaw drops then she is giggling.

"Yeah and now you are singing waitress and the rest of us are getting enough." Fred snorts and chuckles, which I should take offense on but I am giggling.

"Sort of rude, but good crack." She is grinning and shrugs.

"Most of us were jealous on how easy you found a fella to give that too, and always on a table." Shake my head.

"I went home with fellas to. Usually gave out the nookie in his bed or on the counter. I make breakfast when I went home with a fella so they all liked it."

"I admit the suit is lovely, and then surprising, why are you in a suit?"

"I am a flapper dick. I am also court appointed, or was it District Attorney appointed?" Fred sighs and looks up for a moment.

"Court appointed, technically the District Attorney's office is a part of the court system since the whole thing is part of the government."

"Oh the dick from the newspaper, you look different without a shiner."

"I would hope so." Fred snorts and shakes his head.

"Honestly the pictures they used weren't the best of you." Roll my eyes since they showed the shiner and then all of me so it was a good layout.

"Went with the story they put, lone dick against the lawless of Chicago."

"What are you doing out and about today?"

"We got handed a murder case and making good progress but working tonight for both of us so stopped with need to check the business listings and phone book."

"So the bulls handed over a case of have an accused and not much else?"

"Handed a case of they can't make headway since they never asked the bordello right there. We had a good witness in heard the conversation before the fella was shot down." She opens her mouth then turns to run since there is a faint tinkling sound.

emap
emap
237 Followers
123456...8