Justin Thyme Ch. 15

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Callicious
Callicious
1,842 Followers

With that interruption out of the way we carried on with our supper and catching up with each other.

Mom was normally off on Wednesdays, and since Rosemary and I didn't have to go to school because of the fire Dad decided to call in "well" and take the day off too. He and I would swing by Jim's in the morning and then we all would go up to the house and check it out. Mom had not seen the cellar, nor any of the secret doors yet, so we decided to take Grandpa and Grandma along too. We were going to need Grandpa's advice before the day was over I was sure.

After supper was over I sat down with Dad in his office and filled him in on more of the details of our discoveries and then I broached the idea I had been mulling over about backing Jim in opening a new store in the Phoenix area. He thought it would be a good idea, at least to look into and discuss with Jim. The biggest issue was going to be finding the right person to run the operation. He didn't feel I would have the time to do much more than occasionally working on some of the electronics that needed warrantee repair, or possibly building out some custom equipment, but he suggested I not try to do any installations.

"Son, you will have the rest of your life to make money. Your purpose in going to ASU is to get an education. I have an idea you will have your hands full with the house. Don't be trying to bite off much more, at least until you have your feet solidly on the ground and know what you are looking at."

It was good advice, and I'm grateful for it. I also ran the idea of a remote release for the carriage house door, giving access to the secret room, and he sat and mulled it over in his mind for a few minutes.

"I'm inclined to say leave it as it is, Son. Sam Johnson obviously left it alone for a reason, and I think he was probably right. If there is no access there is no way anyone can break in from the outside. You did say there is a way in from the upstairs, right?"

"Yeah, from one of the apartments up there. It gives access to the winch."

"I think I'd leave well enough alone. We can take a look at it tomorrow if you'd like."

Our business taken care of, we walked out to the den and joined Mom and Rosemary. Since there was no school tomorrow and Mom and Dad weren't working we were going to watch a movie together. I'm not much of a movie kind of guy, but I knew at least it would be much better than the one I watched with Rosemary and Steph, although it wouldn't be nearly as much fun!

Mom and Dad kicked back in their double LazyBoy recliner and I flopped into the love seat. I expected Rosemary to sit in the other recliner, but she surprised me and sat down next to me and cuddled up to watch. Not that I'm complaining! Before long her hand sought out mine, and we sat and held hands between us where it wouldn't be obvious if Mom looked over our way, and Rosemary rested her head on my shoulder.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tom, feeling a little self-conscious, walked from his car to the Winters' front door. He felt awkward because he had nothing to contribute. He had planned to take the ladies out, and didn't have time to stop by the store and pick up any wine, and he had just given Mary flowers. Stephanie opened the door for him right away.

"Hi Dr. Meechum. I'm so glad you could change plans for us tonight."

"Hi, yourself, Stephanie, and please, it's Tom. I'm Dr. at the hospital, not in your home."

"Thank you, Tom. I'll try to remember that. Please come on in. Mom will be out in just a minute or two. I hope you like tomato soup?"

"I do, thank you."

"Good, 'cause tonight is going to be anything but formal. Mom was pretty beat when she got home, and she thought you would be rather tired as well, so I thought there was no reason to go out if you didn't mind something simple at home."

"Hi, Tom. I'm glad you could come over again, and Stephanie could be here this time."

"Hi again, Mary. I'm sorry, but I came empty handed tonight. Since I was planning on going out I didn't have anything to bring, and I didn't have time to stop. I didn't know if wine would be appropriate anyway for Stephanie."

"Nonsense! We aren't formal around here. You don't need to bring anything but yourself when you come to our house. I'm just glad you would change your plans for us. I really hope I didn't disappoint you, but today was kind of tough for me. I'm not used to all of that."

Tom reached out and took Mary's hand and cradled it between both of his hands. "Mary, you did a tremendous job today. I don't think I could have made it through all of that had you not been there. Deborah does a great job, but since she wasn't there I didn't have anyone else on the staff I could work with as I did with you. Unfortunately, they are just there because it is a job. They don't really care about what they are doing as do you. You have a very calming effect on the youngsters, and on me as well." He shuddered just a bit. "I nearly lost it when they brought in Danny. I really thought we were going to lose him, and it is still touch and go, but we got him stabilized for surgery. That was as bad as anything I've seen since Iraq."

Stephanie was half listening from the kitchen, but she pricked her ears when she heard him talk about Iraq, and she looked through the doorway to see the look that passed between her mother and Tom. She fought back a smile. It was not the look of a Doctor to a Nurse, but much deeper. A profound respect was obvious along with a deep liking. Steph knew it wasn't love by any chance. It was still much too soon, but she sincerely hoped it would grow, and quickly. Her mother needed someone in her life; someone who could make her happy and complete again. She had given up so much of her life for Stephanie's sake and it was time now for her to live her life for her own sake for a change.

Stephanie served the soup and grilled cheese as Tom and Mary sat down at the table. "You will have to come back another time when Mom can cook, Tom. She can really cook when she sets her mind to it!"

"Stephanie!"

"Well, it's true, Mom. It's just that you don't usually have anyone to cook for but me."

Tom broke in to stop any squabble, "I know, Stephanie. She did a pot roast last night that was fabulous! I haven't eaten that well in a long, long time."

Mary colored at his compliments and Stephanie saw the look that passed between them. "You'll have to get her to do her lasagna for you some time! And her beef stroganoff is to die for!"

"Stephanie! She exaggerates, Tom." It was plain though that Mary was pleased Stephanie thought her cooking was good. She did so little of it for just the two of them. Between working as many hours as she did and Stephanie's busy schedule with school it seemed she didn't cook as much any more. Most things went into the microwave and that was it. The thought of having someone special to cook for stirred her thoughts and desires.

Stephanie turned to Tom. "What can you tell me about my Daddy? I really remember so little about him. I remember sitting on his lap and having him read me bed time stories. I think I miss that the most."

"Well, he didn't read me any bed time stories." Tom gave her a crooked grin, but his eyes clouded over as he remembered the past.

"Tom, you don't have to talk about it if it hurts too much. We will understand."

Tom looked across the table at Mary and his voice hardened. "Understand? I don't think so. You saw what it was like in the ER this morning, and there wasn't anyone shooting at you. You have no way of understanding!"

Mary was taken aback by his outburst, and Stephanie looked at him wide-eyed in shock.

Tom was contrite and ashamed of his own outburst. "I'm sorry. Look, I didn't mean to go off on you. It isn't you, it's me. I'm so glad you don't understand." Tom's head dropped and he struggled to hold back tears. He looked at Stephanie and took her hand in his. "I'm sorry, Stephanie. Your Dad would be really proud of you. This morning was hard for me." He glanced at Mary. "It brought back too many memories, but your mother was right there with me all through it. I couldn't have handled it if she hadn't been there, and I've been struggling since then. I know I promised, but I can't really talk about it tonight. Would you please allow me another time?"

Stephanie jumped to her feet and threw her arms about his neck. "Don't even talk about it if it hurts too much. I'll understand as best I can. Thank you for being there."

Stephanie sat back down, but kept hold of Tom's hand, feeling his need of support. Tom dashed tears from his eyes with the back of his hand and sniffled once before looking at the two women with him. "I'll say this much, and I would like to take the time another time to talk with you about him." He looked over at Mary. "I called Eighth and Eye this afternoon."

"Eighth and Eye?"

That brought a slight smile to Tom's face. "Marine Headquarters at the corner of Eighth and I streets in Washington DC. I went as high up the chain as I could since it was after duty hours, and I talked with the OIC about your husband's missing decoration."

"OIC?"

"Officer in Charge. I'm sorry. I forget you don't speak military. It's almost a different language sometimes. Your husband was put in for the Medal of Honor, but it was demoted to the Navy Cross because there was no officer who witnessed his actions." He turned to Stephanie. "I want you to know the story. I don't know any other way for you to understand the kind of man your father was. I know I told you he was killed by an RPG protecting me and the Ell Tee. We were pinned down by the enemy ambush, and when the Ell Tee went down it was your father that took over the squad and got everyone situated so we could defend ourselves. He was all over the place, constantly putting himself under fire. Oh, he wasn't being stupid or 'Brave'. He was just being a good Marine non-com taking over for his officer. By rights he should have been an officer himself. What he was doing was making certain the squad was able to do its job. He had no reason to expose himself like he did when he saw the insurgent with the RPG, but he saw the Ell Tee and I were exposed and he ran to cover us. If he had stayed where he was he would have been safe, but I would be dead. He gave his life for me. I don't know how he did it, as badly hurt as he was, but he was able to shoot the RPG guy after he was hit, and that broke the attack."

"Some days I look at myself in the mirror and wonder why it was him instead of me, and I feel guilty for being alive. That is the reason I went into medicine, because he told me I ought to, and that's the reason I chose ER medicine, to be able to do what I can to save lives. Now, if you will excuse me, I think it's time I left." He paid no attention to the tears that streamed down both cheeks and dripped onto his shirt.

Mary got up from her chair and stepped over to Tom and embraced him, holding his head to her breast, comforting him. There was nothing sexual in the gesture, nor did Tom take it as such, but rather it was a gesture of comfort to another, even as Dr. Meechum himself had held Brad Winters in his arms as he lay dying in Iraq. The comfort had now come full circle as the love of one fighting man for another was requited by the man's widow. Stephanie for her part knelt on the floor next to Tom, with her head nestled on his leg, hugging it to her, as she cried for her long dead father.

"Tom, you can't go. You aren't in any shape to be alone tonight. I have a guest room you can have. I can't let you be alone tonight. We are here for you."

Tears, long held in, were shed, soaking Mary's blouse, even as she shed her own on Tom's head as she held him tight, and on the leg of Tom's pants as Stephanie mourned the father she had hardly known. A bond was formed that night that could never be broken.

Callicious
Callicious
1,842 Followers