Silver Moon - Were-Bear Fan Fic

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Good one Alpha Dan! Here I come!" Grover cheerily roared and they were back at it again!

~~~

After some settling in was done, Grover opted to sleep in the backyard, and several pups and some of the guards watched him unobtrusively. The pups much less so. They were curious about the big man. Several of them giggled since he slept funny as a bear. He would lay on his back and snort every now and again waving his paws lazily in the air as he slept.

The next morning people were at breakfast, but Grover was still asleep. When the pups went outside to play they immediately raced to their new toy and tried to wake him up. Several pups took turns bouncing on the bear's expansive stomach. One of the braver ones tried tugging on the bears rounded ears. Finally with a grunt that sounded like a stump being pulled from the ground Grover sat up blinking his eyes blearily and yawning with his cavernous mouth.

One of the pups had held onto his chest as he rose up and looked back again to be faced with a mouth that could probably swallow the cub whole! And ringed with enormous teeth! It yipped once in surprise and fear and tumbled tail over teakettle to the ground between Grover's two bracing paws. Grover peered down then bent down to snuffle the little pup with a nose the size of the animals face. He gave the pup a long lick along its side causing it to squirm and run back to its friends.

Grover switched back to human form and stood up tall cracking his knuckles as he stretched his arms over his head then sighed as he felt the warm sun on his face and chest.

"Good mornin'!" He said cheerily to the pack of boys and girls.

"Morning Mister Brooks!" they said almost in unison.

The bear man looked carefully around then looked down at the group.

"Where's your minders?" he asked. The pups all looked confused. "You know, the one that watches over ya'?"

An older pup, almost an adult, at least that's what they smelled like came over and Grover nodded.

"I take it since I am new ya'll are curious about me?" He did not wait for a response as he turned and began walking toward the garden area.

"Well, if you wanna watch, lets have a couple of races while ya'll are at it. I hear you wolves is good at digging...so let's dig!"

Amarish was with them though Amariah was on the porch watching. Sometimes he wondered if it was a girl thing about not getting dirty. Occasionally he would do it just so Pam would grumble at him before running a bath for him. He would hop in, pull out a blue rubber mousy and play.

Chapter3

The river mud had settled and the ground was still a little damp from the morning dew. Grover held a large chuck of bacon in one hand and a pocket watch in the other.

"Now, as ya'll know Wolves is kin to dogs. Ya'lls different, but still family of a sorts." The pups could hear him mutter to himself after saying that.

"Though I swear if I ever see a were-labrador I will probably be dumbfounded and disbelieve ma' own eyeballs!!"

He shook it off and then had the pups line up at one end of the plot of ground.

"Alright. Ya'll need to practice diggin'. Builds up muscles, tendons, ligam...ligalma...ligalaments...think that's the durned word! Also toughens your paws and claws."

He pointed across and showed how deep to dig. Then they were off! Grover shouting encouragement as the pups raced with dirt flying. The younger ones kept veering instead of going in a straight line, but a gentle nudge from a large and dirty foot had them going straight again.

Amarish snickered. Normally he would have joined in but his fox aspect was feeling silly this morning. Since he was in his fox form he lifted a tail up and cocked it towards the ground. Soon a neat furrow formed and as the tip of his tail slowly angled up the furrow lengthened. Since Gianni was in the row next to his he had to tease her by occasionally tossing a paw full of dirt (if he had been next to her) in her direction.

At one point he had nailed Gianni in the nose and she had to stop and sneeze. With a small growl she looked over next to her and almost fell on her tail as she yipped in shock. There wasn't anyone there but the dirt was moving. She narrowed her eyes and turned and saw Amarish simply laying there with his tail pointed at the trough. She suddenly lost interest in the digging and with a bark charged at him.

Amarish saw that and almost winced since she was most definitely unhappy with him. He turned to run but before he had gotten more than a few steps she ran him down and started a puppy fight with him.

It didn't last very long before one of them yipped and both stopped and started licking each other's faces. "Sowwy Gianni I didn'ts mean to nip that hard." He rubbed his head against her cheek as well.

She let him for a moment and decided to accept. When she did she made sure her tongue was really wet and ran it up the inside of one of his ears. "Stinky boy apology accepted. Need bath, boy dirty." There had been dirt on her tongue and now the inside of his ear was dirty.

Amarish looked horrified when she gave him the wolf version of a wet willy. His first reaction was to rub his ear on the grass. With a sigh he hopped into the trench he had been making and met up with her and yipped at her and let his paws loose. The others were already or mostly done. When they finished he and Gianni were nose and nose at the end.

The eldest of course made it first and was panting from the exertions and got a big piece of bacon. The others all got sizable pieces, the last was only three quarters the way across the field and looked tired. Grover was shouting encouragement all the way and the little ones were doing their best. Soon the others were calling encouragement and finally the little pup dropped at the edge of the garden...exhausted and panting with their tongue lolling out.

That looks like the little blond she pup that hooked me!

Big hands picked up Gianni and cradled her in his arms, against a broad expanse of denim covered chest.

"Saved ya' a really big piece little one! You got some big ol' heart in ya'!" The bear murmured to the muddy girl. He gently tipped some water in his tin cup and brought it to the young wolf who lapped it gratefully. Then he gently held the bacon for the pup to take small bites.

He glanced over Amarish, and gave him a small scowl. "I saw you's earlier ya' sneak! Mighty fine digging ya' did...right up to the part where you was distractin' the other's. No bacon, let it be a lesson to ya' you mouse huntin' dust mop!"

Grover turned to set Gianni back on the ground then whirled back with a pointing finger at Amariah who was beginning to lift a tail to point at him,

You magic me again wit'out my say so and I will wears your tails like a set o' suspenders, the real thin dressy goin' to church type o' suspenders...hear?"

After the group finished eating they all went down to splash in the shallow stream that wasn't so shallow with a lot of the mud having been carried up to the garden. After cleaning off he brought them back up to the garden area where they looked at him expectantly.

Dan had been making his rounds when he noticed them coming back from the stream. An idea crossed his devious mind. "Yo Grover got a job for you if you want." Dan waited for him to come over before saying anything else. "Since you seem comfortable in the water and around mud and all that, where you pulled all the dirt out make a pool. Make sure it isn't deeper than Gianni's neck while she is standing. Not sure how the flock you can swim as a were beastie but us wolves sink like rocks and if the water is too deep... Well I am sure you can imagine the results."

God knew he had resolved a few issues that way before. "I am thinking something like making a small stone pool where they can play but be safe from falling in any deeper water. Sound like something you might be interested in? If so go for it after you play for a while."

"Sure thing Alpha Dan, I's got an idea o' what you want. Was planning on sometin' like that's anyway!" Grover thought over what Dan had said then grinned and patted his large belly.

"As for how I can swim? Fat floats!" He gave a growling chuckle as Dan smiled and continued on his rounds.

He turned back and saw the pups all staring at him.

"Whatcha all want? You staring at me like I got more food! You all turned the soil well in the garden so I can getta start plantin' it..." He started to walk away but still they stared. He grumbled, thinking.

"Ya'll want to be entertained...dontcha?" He grouched in their direction. They immediately changed back to their puppy forms, tails wagging like little flags on 4 wheelers at the sand dunes. He all of a sudden got it...they wanted to play!

He sighed and dropped his overall strap and switched to his mid bear form and made a coughing chuff at them.

"OKAY! WHO WANTS TO PLAY KING OF THE MOUNTAIN?" He rasped out. He couldn't do the mental speak that the others could, heck...he didn't even know they could.

The pup's tails turned down to between their legs and they shook in fright at his appearance! He stopped talking and dropped to all fours. They were afraid of him? He chuffed and thought about it. This form was his most mobile, and comfortable to himself. Yet...he was the most massive, and when he thought about it, the mixed features and so forth weren't really cute and cuddly like the foxy people. The...whatchamacallem? Kitsu...dang blast it! Gonna have to write down that name so he can remember it! Embarrassing for a man to forget his barber's people's name!

He moved a little closer to the pups, some moved back. He rolled on his side, long arms and claws falling to his side. He saw an adult of some kind off the corner of the garden watching him. Soon Giani plucked up the courage to come closer and he picked up the little critter and rolled on his back. Then he launched the little pooch high in the air to a surprised yip from his fuzzy missile friend!

Another yip as Giani was caught in Grover's paws. The little wolfs tongue was lolling and it was looking like she was laughing...as much as she could like this, and was soon launched skyward again!

This soon degraded into an afternoon of the fun game of "Fuzzy Ballistic Missiles!" Even the ones who were older got launched! The thirteen year old was doing somersaults in the air and yelling in either fear or fun...the adult couldn't tell...then she was caught safe and secure in Grover's paws and given a thorough licking over her furry muzzle and ears.

Soon the pups left and Grover was able to get his favorite veggie seeds from the kitchen pantry. Corn, pole beans, and spaghetti squash!

~~~

Dan was watching him the next morning as Grover was using a marked stick to plant the seeds, but not in straight rows.

"I thought gardens get planted in straight rows?" Dan asked. He had grown up on a farm so many years ago. He remembered weeding in the family garden. For a brief moment his eyes darkened at that memory. It had been before he had been turned.

"Well...more or less I reckon..."Grover responded slowly.

"It looks like your making squares." Dan noticed.

Everything in their garden had to be straight and tidy. His mother was a stickler for that. For another brief moment he remembered his mother. As was the norm for that day and age even though she was just a bit over 30 she had some gray hair but the lines of her face were still mostly smooth. She did have an ample body but her hugs had been so warm. Damn it there he went again, thinking about things he had tucked away in his brain. Another flash of darkness crossed his eyes.

"Yeps, about a foot or so apart. Mhm!"

Dan shook his head. "Planting corn? Interesting way to go about it." This time he forced his mind not to remember doing similar things as a kid.

"Well, I'm a startin' on corn, after they sprout up some...then I'm a gonna plant beans. Few weeks after that gonna plant the squash." Grover explained.

Dan looked at the sixty or so square plots and turned a raised brow to Grover.

"It's like this...I'm lazy...have been all my life. I don't like working too hard to get what I want."

Dan nodded, a little grin on his lips.

"Beans need stakes. Too much work to make 'em...to expensive to buy them. I know that surprises you!" Grover said with a grin as he turned his pockets inside out to show they were empty.

"A man with ma' riches should be able to purch...pur...whats the word? Consarnit! A man should be able to BUY what he wants! Even if'n I had the coin...I'm a still too lazy to put the stakes in the dirt so I use corn stalks."

He indicated with the end of his stick to Dan. "After the corn grows some I plant the beans, right there, next to the stalks. Then the beans grow 'n and wind around the four stalks and now it would take a mighty strong wind to knock 'em over!"

Grover patted his belly in satisfaction. Dan then noticed the wet bucket with squash seeds.

"And those squash?" He asked.

"Squash leaves...on the underside only mind...they got this fuzz on them that most critters don't like. It makes them uncomfortable to walk through the vines and such. I plant these shortly after the beans grow, and it makes a small border that keeps most critters away from my plants."

Grover grinned then. "Can hardly wait for hot buttered corn on the cob, or quick-fried green beans with bacon and garlic! Or you take one of these squash and roast it in the fire? Well you pop that there thing open with your pocket knife....cut it in half and pour some spaghettie sauce and a few meatballs in one half and eat it up with a fork! It's mighty good eats there Dan! I'll even fix you up the first one!"

A thought occurred to Grover and he patted his pocket and then blinked at the Alpha.

"Say...Dan...ya'll still haven' seen a pocketknife laying around have ya'?"

The Alpha shook his head with a small grin he tried to cover up. "Nope, but since you seem to have misplaced yours you can have this one." He pulled a curiously sized stockman pocket knife from one pocket. Even in Dan's hands the damn thing looked almost ridiculously large. It looked like it should fit comfortably in Grover's paws. It was a good eight to ten inches long, much larger around than a normal one and had nickel caps on the end and a bone siding on both sides. "Best part is you will never lose it." Dan winked at the man.

Dan wasn't a huge fan of vegetables, being a meat eater primarily...the squash though...it kind of sounded good to his mind.

"Well...dadgum! That's a nice pretty piece of metal there ain't it! Grover said, turning the large stockman over in his fingers. He put it in his overalls side pocket and checked it for fit.

"Yup! Thas' a good 'un! Thank you kindly Mr. Alpha Dan."

~~~

The garden was coming along nicely. Thick green leaves showing, and every day Grover was out watering and weeding to make sure the plants were taken care of. He also began fishing, though his way seemed almost like cheating. Working with the pups, who their babysitters still watched closely when Grover was around, he got them to build a small dam of stones in the river just off to the side of the river back. They would put left over scraps of food in the water which would attract the fish. The water was only about a foot or two deep so when the pups would see they had fish in the pool they would hurry over and block off the entrance so the fish couldn't leave. Then it was a free-for all as they all tried to catch the fish!

Grover finally told them to wait as he was going to show them how to use a fishing spear.

To the big bears annoyance...he kept missing! He grumbled and almost swore, but the cubs watching him made him temper his tongue. Still he kept rumbling in frustration so much it sounded like a far off storm getting closer. One of the other cubs finally got their spear to work and caught a fish making Grover finally throw his spear down in frustration! Then he changed into his animal form and started swatting trout out of the pool and onto the side of the river!

"Rotten wolf cubs!" He growled as he changed back to human and pulled back on his overalls. A cub back in their human shape clutched and sat on his foot as he walked over to the wet sack they used to hold the fish in. He walked all the way back to the main house to the kitchens with a cub on each foot and one on his back!

Gianni snickered at him and then leaned against one leg and gave him her best puppy dog eyes. Her lower lip was artfully trembling as well. "Buts you still wuvs us don't yous?"

The bear grunted, then looked down at the sweet little girl. "Course I do child." Then ran his thick fingers through her blonde mop of hair.

~~~

At the kitchen he stopped, shook the pups off of him and took off his hat before knocking on the door. There was that pretty older wolf who worked in the kitchens and over the course of staying here...she made him blush and get tongue tied each time he saw her.

"Please let Angie open the door...please let Angie open the door!" He thought fervently. Angie was a sweetheart, but she was a mated wolf and he felt safer around her.

No such luck. It was the other, and the big bear of a man looked down at the ground and wouldn't meet her gaze. He scratched the back of one foot with a big grubby toe and could feel his blush pushing up to the roots of his hair!

"Hello...uhm...Julia!" He muttered, again not meeting her eyes. Julia found it funny that Grover could meet most everyone's eyes and even do it with Dan, holding his gaze as he listened intently to their Alpha or when he offered his own opinion. It drove the other wolves nuts and she could see Dan's teeth clench sometimes when he stared too long. The saving grace for Grover was that, he really had no desire for dominance or anything. Most of the young ones, and most all the wolves would ask him to do something and he would do it. When one of them had been cutting firewood, he asked if Grover could carry some to the kitchen the bear had shrugged and picked up an eighth of a cord and walked off with it.

Julia had spent a fair amount of time thinking about this odd man. He was so different than any of the males around. That included the Kitsunes as well. Briefly some memories came to mind.

Dan would remind him not to stare into his eyes and Grover would scratch his head and say, "Then how's you gonna' know I'm even listenin to you at all? That's just rude!"

Dan had finally given up to an extent. "It is a wolf thing. A continuous stare is taken as a challenge and usually ends up with a fight. Bears don't have anything similar to the best of my knowledge since they tend to be relatively solitary." He was leaned back in his chair with Amariah sitting in his lap. She was having fun making colored balls of light and playing with them.

Dan glanced down at her and smiled. It had turned into a game between her and the pups. She would create the balls of light and then toss them and let them float and wander around. The pups had to try to catch them. There was some esoteric scoring system he didn't understand. When they got to a certain score they would get a mousy. "Okay Grover I have to ask you to follow this comment. Feel free to look in the eyes but with the less dominate wolves meet their eyes and then focus on an ear or their forehead or some such. With the Kitsunes it isn't a problem."

Grover was such a stickler on not being rude, but his definitions seemed to be very different from the rest of the wolves and some things he would not budge at all.

When in the training ring he was supposed to spar with one of the females, she was young...only 16 or so and really starting to feel her strength. Grover just stood there with his arms crossed and let her kick and punch him, every now and then he would yawn which infuriated the little wolf!