That Was Then - This is Now Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The store had reopened a day later than planned because of my accident. It looked like turning the whole thing into an internet cafe might work. We were still busy with repairs and network maintenance. The only difference, other than me not being there, was that Sonja was doing the paperwork that was usually my burden. I even missed that, since it gave me a real sense of how we were doing. They were still looking for someone to help Marie. She was just as busy now as she had been when the restaurant was a separate entity. That was something we would really have to work at.

James came over to Mom's to visit one afternoon. He and Joan were still a couple and he was planning on popping the big question soon. Joan wasn't working, but did some volunteer work at the seniors' centre in town. There wasn't really much work available for her in town. I asked him what she was actually trained to do. It turns out that she had a college certificate in business administration. I asked James to get her to come over and see me. I gave Marie a call.

"Marie, hi. How are you?"

"Evan. Hi. We're busy. I think I'm busier now than ever. We really do need some help here." Marie sounded almost rushed.

"I heard. Sorry I haven't been around to help. But, I just wanted your input. I might have someone who would fit in. Do you want to interview her, or be here when I talk to her?"

"Well, I sort of trust your judgement, but I'd like input as well."

"Of course. Look, I'm waiting for her to call me. If I set something up for an evening, would you be available?"

"Sure, anytime after supper would work."

"Okay, as soon as I get this set up I'll call you. I don't even know if the person I'm thinking of is interested, but she might be since she's not working, at least not being paid, anyway."

"Okay Evan, let me know. I gotta run." She ended the call and I sat back thinking that it was good to be back at it, even if in a limited way. I had a doctors' appointment the next day. I was really hoping to be cleared to go back to work. I could at least do the admin stuff and free up Sonja from that.

Mom came out of the apartment and sat down at the picnic table. "Evan, have you had your nap yet this afternoon?"

"Nope, I really don't feel tired."

"You know what Dr. Evans said. You need rest, lots of rest. I'll report you," she laughed as if threatening me would get me to co-operate.

"Okay, okay. I'll go lie down. But, if Joan calls I need to talk to her. I might have a job if she's interested." I wheeled myself into the spare bedroom that had become my home.

"Okay, but you rest or even worse than reporting you to the doctor, I'll report you to your sisters," she was laughing out loud now.

"Oh God, anything but that. I'll behave. Honest." I managed to get onto the bed unaided and was quickly asleep.

I must have slept for nearly two hours. Joan had phoned and would call back or I could call her when I woke up. Mom got some coffees going and we went back outside to enjoy the sunshine. I called Joan on her cell.

"Hi Joan, Evan. Look. Are you looking for work at all or just want to do the volunteer stuff?"

"Evan, James told me to call you. What's this about, anyway?"

"If you're interested, I might have a job for you. James said you had your two year certification in business administration. If you're looking for work, this might be a good fit for you."

"You mean I'd be working for you?"

"No, not for me. For a friend of mine. She's looking for help."

"Where do I have to go to meet her?"

"Actually, she said she'd come here almost any time after supper so it sort of depends on you."

"How about tonight? I'll get James to bring me over."

"Okay, I'll call Marie and get back to you. If not tonight is any other night okay with you?"

"Oh sure, we don't do much at night. Just hang out and watch TV."

"Okay, I'll call you back."

"Thanks Evan. Talk to you soon."

I broke the connection an began to call Marie when Mom said, "Evan, why not ask Marie to come here for supper. She and I can visit until Joan gets here. I'm sure she could use the break. I know it's a bit of a drive, but if she's coming over anyway..."

"Good idea, Mom. Thanks." I called Marie who said she'd be delighted to eat someone else's cooking for a change. I called Joan who confirmed that she and James would show up after supper. Mom said for them to come over too, she would make enough for all of us. They of course agreed. There's nothing like Mom's cooking.

Marie arrived just before six, bringing a nice bottle of wine. She and Mom had met several times and got along great. James and Joan showed up a few minutes later and we all sat down to dinner, breaded pork chops, mashed potatoes and mixed veggies. The four of them enjoyed the wine; I wasn't allowed because of the painkillers I was still on.

Instead of doing a formal interview, we just asked Joan about her background and what she was looking for. She admitted that she had no experience in the food industry at all, not even working as a server when she was in school. We explained to her that she would start out working alongside Marie who would teach her that aspect of the internet cafe, with a view that Marie would eventually retire and sell the business and building, hopefully to me. Joan was skeptical, but agreed to give it a trial run. The worst that could happen is that she'd have another line on her resume'. We agreed that she would start the following Monday, giving her a few days to prepare. We had to assure her that casual dress was appropriate. Anything more would really look out of place. Even Sonja had stopped wearing dresses or skirts to work, settling on Capris or slacks; shorts if it was really hot outside. We retired to the living room and enjoyed visiting over coffee and dessert for the rest of the evening.

Next afternoon was time to see the doctor about getting back to work. Except for my leg, which both ached and itched like crazy, I felt good. I expected that he would approve it, and he did. I decided that I would start back the following Monday since there was only one more work day before the weekend. We had kept Marie's tradition of closing for the entire weekend. I was looking forward to it, though I would have to rely on Mom to get me to work. I'd get Jim or Sonja to bring me back. Once I had a walking cast on, I would return to my apartment. Debbie had assured Mom that she would look in on me to make sure everything was okay.

Monday I got to the store early. The interior was bright and cheery. Knocking out the one wall between the two businesses had really opened it up, and gave an impression of being larger than it really was. We had gotten some additional space for the workshop by combining the storage area of the two stores, except for the cold foods. It wasn't unusual to see bags of flour sitting alongside network cables or computer parts. Soon it was just the way it was.

Joan started and fit right in. Her personality more than made up for her lack of experience and she proved to be a quick study. We arranged, and paid, for her to take her food safe course. We were able to keep the two entities separate and never did have to call on anyone in the computer store to work in the cafe, or vice versa. Even though I was more or less stuck behind my desk, it felt really good to be back. I called my customers and apologized for not being able to look after them myself. To a man or woman, they were all understanding and looked forward to seeing me again when I was able.

Erica and I managed to get together a couple of times a week, even if just for coffee. Of course she had to come to me since I couldn't drive yet because of the concussion. Some evenings we'd just relax in front of the tube. We were getting along just fine, and were feeling good about it. I wondered about moving to the next level, but wanted to wait until I at least had a walking cast on and I was more mobile. She was feeling the same, but had other plans about the timing.

One evening we were in our normal positions me stretched out on the sofa to keep my leg elevated and her relaxing in the recliner. She had just gone to get some iced tea for both of us. When she came back into the living room, instead of sitting back in the recliner, she came over and sat me up an sat down on the sofa, then pulled me back down so my head and shoulders were on her lap.

She leaned down and gave me a kiss, then another one, longer this time. "Evan, you know I love you."

"Mmmm. I love you too, you know. I know it's kind of quick, but it feels right, the two of us together," I sighed happily. "I'll be so happy to get the damn cast off and get my life back."

She began to rub my chest, then lower and lower. "I think we could take this to the bedroom." She leaned down and kissed me again. "You just let me do all the hard work."

I laughed, "I was hoping to take a more active part."

"Just do what you can. I'll look after us," she said quietly, pushing me up off her lap and helping me to my feet. I still had to use the crutches so the walk into the bedroom wasn't all that romantic. We made it.

We made love for what seemed hours. It wasn't of course since I didn't have the stamina. It felt so good to have her back in my arms, and I told her so.

"I've wanted this for so long," she said quietly, "I wondered if the day would ever come when I'd feel happy again."

"I know what you mean. It's almost like I was going through the motions."

"Exactly." She stopped me from talking further by kissing me again. "Now, lover, I have to get going. I have to work early in the morning. I'll take a quick shower here so I don't have to in the morning."

"I'd join you, but it's hard enough for me by myself, let alone with someone else," I laughed. "Now get going while I still have a bit of willpower left."

She giggled and climbed out of the bed. Soon the shower was running. It did feel right.

Epilogue

Erica and I waited for nearly nine months to get married. We honeymooned in Hawaii for two glorious weeks. She continued working at the lab until our son was born a year after we got married. He was joined by twins, a boy and a girl, about twenty months later. She's now quite happy to be a homemaker and mother.

The business continued to expand. We eventually had to move the computer store to its own building. The internet cafe doubled in size, and they added a small retail bakery and goodies store.

Joan and James got married. He's now the manager of the auto parts store. Joan manages the internet cafe and has four girls working full time for her. Erica and I are considering making her and James partners as well.

Marie did what she wanted, sold and retired to the coast to be near her family. She keeps in touch with us and visits when she can.

Jim and Sonja added to their brood, two boys. The girls were thrilled to have one baby brother; the second sent them over the moon. Sonja is a stay at home mom now. They bought the house across the street from us. Our two families are always together.

Debbie and Jerry continue to do well. They haven't been able to have kids, but have adopted ours, and Jim and Sonja's, as their extended family. Of course they spoil the kids rotten.

Mom passed a few months after our son was born. She was really happy to see her first grandchild though she was in poor health at the time. It was sad to see her go. She was a great Mom.

Barb and Wendy also got married. They had to have a civil ceremony. Of course all of us were there as well as all their friends and customers. They're talking about adopting a couple of kids to make a whole family unit.

I look back at all that happened, everything we went through, and thank my lucky stars that That Was Then, This is Now.