Three Dinner Dates

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

With that, Simon was alone. He watched as Anna headed towards her table, her last words tumbling in his mind. He sure hoped there would be another time, but this sort of summed up Simon's luck. Second times seldom arrived, or at least not the ones he wanted.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Who is he?" Chloe asked as she held the door open, and the two sisters headed back out onto the street at the end of a wonderful evening.

"Who is who?" Anna responded, confused as to how that question had suddenly popped into conversation.

"Oh, come on Anna," Chloe replied, giving her sister a wink. "Do you think I didn't see you glance back before you left?"

Anna couldn't believe it. Had she been that obvious?

"So, who is he, Anna?" Chloe repeated.

For a moment there was silence. Anna didn't respond. Chloe on the other hand, as the obvious answer filled her mind, just smiled.

"It's him, isn't it?" Chloe asked. "The guy from the bar. Tell me I'm wrong, Anna. You like him, don't you?"

"Who... Simon? No... no... I was just passing time, waiting for you to arrive," Anna tried to clarify.

Her response was nonchalant, dismissing the idea out of hand, yet inside her heart was racing. It was the response she had to give. Anna knew that there was no point in trying to get to know Simon, as relationships like this never worked. Anna knew though, that it was always good to dream. She closed her eyes for a few seconds and dreamed of her Prince Charming.

"I don't think so," Chloe teased, breaking her sister out of her dreamy state. "So... what are you going to do about him... this Simon of yours?"

There was an air of resignation in the final response from Anna.

"Forget it, Chloe... better not to get too close. Tomorrow it'll be somebody else. He'll move on and I'll still be me, little young Anna... still dreaming."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Chapter Two

Three weeks later, the unthinkable happens

As she had predicted, life for Anna went back to normal. The Manhattan Cocktail Lounge, and the meeting with Simon, were becoming a memory. The more time went on, the more Anna started to think about her next dinner date. At first it sounded exciting. Chloe had promised Japanese, and for the last couple of weeks Anna had been trying, quite unsuccessfully, to practice eating with a couple of sticks. Now though, all Anna could think about was how much of a fool she was going to look if she had to ask for a fork and spoon.

Oh well, she kept telling herself, she couldn't be any more of a fool than thinking that she had found her Price Charming, in the heart of the city of all places. Cinderella was nothing more than a fairy tale, one that could come true on paper, but not in real life.

Real life?

"Anna Warren to the back door, please... Anna Warren," the speakers burst into life with the tinny sounds of a male voice.

Yep, this was real life. Gone was the little black dress, the not-so-high heels, and the sparkling earrings. Gone was the hair down over her shoulders, the warm red lipstick, and smoky sultry eyes. Instead, it was a young woman in navy trousers, a royal blue polo-shirt, and a matching zip up top, who headed off towards the back of the store. Her shoes were flat, aimed at comfort instead of appearance. Her blonde hair was up in a tidy ponytail, her make-up much more natural in shade, with understated gold studs adding just that touch of femininity.

A name badge, over one breast, confirmed that this was Anna, a second, over the other, reiterated that she was here to help. It was quite a transformation from the night out on the town, but this was real life for Anna. This was what paid the mortgage, what put food on the table, what allowed her the opportunity to see how the other half live, if only once in a blue moon.

"Anna Warren to the back door... delivery awaiting," came the voice over the speakers once more.

Anna had been expecting the call, but it didn't stop her becoming frustrated with the urgency suddenly put on the latest delivery. It was part of her job. Out on the shop floor Anna was responsible for the chiller counters, and deliveries were a daily event. Some people though... give them a microphone and they think they rule the world, as if they couldn't get enough of their own voice. It was better than the other option though. At least the shop floor gave you some variety. Sitting on those tills for hours on end was mind-numbingly boring.

Around an hour later, Anna was working her way through the final metal cage of yoghurts, creams, and the like. The highlight of the day, or at least the peak of activity, was coming to an end. She glanced down at her watch. It wasn't even lunchtime, so Anna still had another five hours to go, tidying up, topping up where there was overspill in the warehouse, and generally being here to help.

"Excuse me," a surprisingly familiar male voice addressed Anna as she was wiping down the crème fraiche shelf before restocking it.

"Do you have any diced feta?" he continued, not even waiting for Anna to finish off what she was doing. "The sort to add to a salad?"

"Yes, of course," Anna replied, standing up once more.

"Let me show you," Anna continued, turning around to face the customer.

For a moment, time stood still. Anna stared at the customer, a smart dressed business man with a very familiar face, and the customer simply stared back at Anna. Neither moved. Neither said anything. They were both equally surprised to be seeing each other in such surroundings, but for quite different reasons.

Anna knew it was Simon from the minute she lay eyes on him. For sure she wasn't expecting him to be here. What was he doing in a supermarket at lunchtime, especially one which wasn't exactly in the vicinity of his shiny office block? She was surprised, and she was shocked. Of all the places to bump into him again, why did it have to be here, and why did it have to be while she was working?

Simon wasn't sure if he was surprised or mistaken. It looked like Anna. It sounded like Anna. Even the name badge said Anna. But Anna worked in retail and finance, not in a supermarket, stocking shelves. Could it be her? Could it be the woman he had dreamed of every day since that unexpected meeting in the cocktail lounge? Then, what if it wasn't? He could hardly wade in with his size elevens and find out it was somebody else, could he?

"Anna?" Simon asked, his question tentative in nature, as if fishing for a shred of confirmation before jumping to any conclusion.

"Simon," Anna replied. "What are you doing here, Simon?"

It was a stupid question. She already knew why he was here. Simon wanted feta cheese for his lunch, maybe the plain one, the herby one, or even the chilli-oiled one, but for sure he was here to grab some lunch. Still though, Anna found herself asking. What did she want to hear in reply? Was she interested in his lunch, or was she hoping to hear something quite different?

Then it hit her. Here he was, the most gorgeous man she had ever met, staring back at her in her work clothes. If she had a secret, and she hadn't really meant to deceive Simon, it was out. For sure, Anna could now kiss good-bye to any thought of fairy tale romance, her dreams replaced by a quick walk to the cheese counter.

"Shouldn't I be the one asking you the same?" Simon replied.

"Well..." Anna responded, thinking on her feet, and trying her best to get out of this situation, "...I'm showing you where the feta is, and then you're going to make lunch. I think that's what I'm doing here."

Simon didn't take the bait by reacting to the outburst, and Anna found herself smiling back at him.

"I'm sorry Simon if you think I deceived you, but now you know. This is where I work. I know I said retail and finance... well... now I'm selling you cheese so that is retail, and, on another day, I'd be taking your money at the till, so that is finance. I mean, it's great to see you again Simon, but now you know the real Anna."

"I see," Simon replied, his voice considered but not combative. "You know you could have said. It wouldn't have changed anything. I would still have bought you that drink."

To say she was embarrassed, was an understatement. Anna didn't know where to look, nor what to say. She always considered herself to be an imposter on those few nights out on the town, and now she had been found out for what she truly was... the proverbial all that glitters is not gold.

"Now, how about that feta?" Anna asked. "I'm sure you must be in a hurry, Simon."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Chapter Three

A rather downbeat Anna meets her sister for coffee

If the bi-monthly night on the town was one predictability in Anna's life, the weekend catch-up over coffee was another. It was so much nicer to get together over a steaming cappuccino and share whatever was the latest gossip in their lives, than to catch up over a call, or worse still e-mail.

Okay, so usually the topic of conversation was two-fold, either excitement at the next night on the town, or wonderment at Chloe's latest love interest. It was rare that Anna became the focus of attention but, on this particular Saturday morning, a couple of weeks after the visit to the cocktail lounge, it was the blonde's low mood which became the main topic of conversation between the two sisters.

"What is it, Anna?" Chloe asked, noticing her sister's lack of enthusiasm, even when they spoke about the upcoming dinner.

"It's nothing," Anna replied.

"Did you say this Japanese place was near to the cocktail lounge?" Anna added, asking the question without any real lack of conviction.

"Just down the road," Chloe responded. "Easy enough for you to get to, and this time I promise not to be late. Can't have strangers buying you drinks again, can we?"

Anna's expression changed at the mere mention of that last night on the town. It wasn't so much the night out which did it, but more thought of who had been there... the thought of Simon. Immediately, and despite it being so subtle, Chloe picked up on the change in mood.

"It's not what, is it Anna?" Chloe responded. "It's who, isn't it? You're still smitten with that guy from the cocktail lounge. That's why you are asking if it is close. What did you say he was called... Stephen?"

"Simon," Anna corrected, her tone even more subdued than before.

"Oh, Anna," Chloe reacted as the penny dropped. "That's what they're like, you know. Buy you a drink one day, don't even notice you exist the next. That's just the way of the city, you know. It wasn't like you expected to see him again, was it? You told me the same."

"But that's the problem, Chloe... I did see him again," Anna challenged.

"Anna! You dark horse, you!" Chloe responded most enthusiastically, a look of surprised excitement on her face.

"No... not like that. I met him by accident," Anna clarified.

"And did he remember you? My money's on no," Chloe responded.

"Yep, he remembered me alright," Anna said.

"So, what's the problem?" Chloe asked.

"Well, the problem wasn't so much meeting him... god, Chloe, he's so damn gorgeous... the problem was where I met him, or more to the point, how he found me."

"How he found you? I'm not sure I understand," came a confused reaction from Chloe.

"It was at work... in the supermarket... stacking bloody crème fraiche... god, Chloe... I could have died... there and then... on that very spot," Anna responded, becoming quite emotional in her outburst.

"And?" Anna asked, still confused.

"And... and... well, if he did have any interest before, then he isn't going to have any now, is he? Could you imagine it... a high-flying banker wanting to be seen with a supermarket shelf-stacker come till operator."

"So, where does the Japanese place come into it?" Chloe asked.

There was a pause before Anna replied.

"I guess... well... I wanted to be sure not to bump into him again," Anna responded. "I don't think I could face the embarrassment of him looking down on lowly little Anna."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

That evening, on the other side of town, a similar conversation was taking place in a plush wine bar... a similar conversation, but most definitely with a different tone.

"You know I trust your opinion, Marie," Simon addressed his long-time best friend.

"Of course," Marie replied. "Is there something on your mind, Simon?"

"Yes... you know I told you about the woman I met," Simon started to explain.

"Well... I met her again you know," he continued.

"And was it just as good as the first time?" Marie asked, suddenly interested that her best friend might finally be finding somebody serious.

"It was different, that's for sure... and that's what I need your opinion on," Simon replied.

"Different?" Marie asked, quizzically.

"Oh... Anna wasn't different... she was still the girl I fell for as soon as we met... it was just that..." Simon's words trailed off as he thought about how to put the next without sounding as arrogant as most of his city mates.

"Just what, Simon?" Marie asked.

"Just... well... I bumped into her at work," Simon responded.

"You mean she works in the bank? And you'd just never met her before?" came a most excited response from Marie.

"No... no... that's it... she works in a supermarket. That's where I met her," Simon answered, a downbeat look on his face.

For a moment there was silence. Simon took a large gulp of wine and waited for the horrified response from his best friend, the response which would tell him what he already suspected... that the would-be love of his life was a non-starter before it even got going.

Marie sipped at her wine. She wasn't sure quite what to say, as she didn't really see where the problem was. Was Simon looking for her to be shocked at his choice in love interest, to give him an excuse for ending it? Or... was Simon looking for a bit of encouragement, a supportive do what feels right type of response. There was only one option, which was to ask him.

"And do you like her?" Marie asked.

"I think so," Simon replied, before clarifying. "What am I saying... she's so beautiful, Marie... of course I Like her."

"Then where's the problem?" Marie asked.

"Well... what about the others?" Simon responded with a question of his own.

"Do they like her as well?" Marie teased.

"No... no... but what would they think of me if I went out with a shop-worker?" he clarified.

"As I said, Simon... where's the problem?"

"I really don't know what to do, Marie... what to do for the best."

"You want my opinion?" Marie asked.

Simon nodded.

"Well..." Marie started, taking a pause for effect before continuing. "First of all, I reckon it's time for you to get the drinks in... and second, if you like her then you'd better do something about it."

"Like what?" Simon asked.

Marie couldn't believe she was having to spell it out in such simple words. God, sometimes men couldn't see what was right in front of them.

"Like... ask her out..." Marie suggested. "Make the night special, just you and this Anna of yours."

"Your choice, Simon," Marie added, smiling back at her best friend, hoping she had told him what he wanted to hear.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Chapter Four

Anna meets her stranger again and is asked a most unexpected question

A few days later, Simon found himself back in the supermarket. Just like before, it was lunchtime. Just like before, he had something on his mind, albeit it wasn't anything to do with the available range of feta cheese. The big difference this time was that he knew exactly who he wanted to ask. The big question was whether Anna would be there to ask, and how she would react.

Nerves were making Simon's heart pound faster than normal, as he walked slowly across the centre of the shop, glancing left and right up the side aisles in search of Anna. By the time he reached the far end of the store, an air of disappointment had taken over from the initial nerves. Anna was nowhere to be seen. What was worse, maybe his chance to ask his question had also disappeared as well.

Resigned to his missed opportunity, Simon turned around and headed back the way he had just come, back towards the entrance, back towards his life alone. Imagine his surprise when, there, heading right towards him, was Anna. He wanted to run towards her, such was the excitement within, yet Simon knew better. He still wasn't quite sure how he was going to put the question, nor how Anna would react. What he did know though, was at least he would have an opportunity to enquire.

Simon watched as Anna headed down towards the chilled foods section. With a deep breath, trying to compose himself as best he could, Simon followed her. Much to his surprise, he was a bundle of nerves. He thought nothing about standing up in the boardroom and presenting the latest financial forecasts, whether they be good or bad news, but the simple task of asking Anna out to dinner was so out of his comfort zone.

What kind of a man was he, Simon kept saying to himself.

Just come out and ask.

A simple 'can I buy you dinner' was all that was needed.

Then that was the other question. What if Anna did say yes? How would he know what she liked and what she didn't? He could hardly take her back to the cocktail lounge, could he? That wouldn't show any sort of initiative or intent. The answer would be to cook for her, but then that went back to the question, of what she preferred. He was still debating the same, when he practically walked into Anna, her arms full of trays of yoghurt.

"Well... hello again Anna," Simon announced, smiling at the young blonde.

To say Anna was surprised, was an understatement. What hit her the most? Was it the amazement that she hadn't dropped black cherry yoghurt all over the floor or was it the shock at seeing Simon once more? What did he want this time? Surely, he couldn't still be looking for feta cheese. Had he come back to gloat, to rub it in a little more as to the differences between the two of them? She had thought better of Simon, but her sister had given more than a hint as to what these city types were like.

"Hello Simon," Anna responded. "What are you looking for today?"

"Oh... no... I'm not looking for anything," he replied.

"Then, it's fantastic to see you again, Simon, but I am a little busy," Anna tried to politely dissuade Simon from hanging around.

"That's fine. I won't keep you long, but I was hoping you could help me," Simon continued.

"Help you?" Anna asked.

"Yes..." Simon paused before continuing, "it says on your badge that you're here to help, and I have something very important I need your advice on."

"My advice?" Anna tried to confirm, her voice now sporting a confused tone, as she wondered where Simon was going with this. Was there a put-you-down coming, or was he being serious about needing some advice? And, why from her?

"Yes... I couldn't think of anyone with a better opinion. Do you think you could help me, Anna? It won't take long, and I'd be most grateful?" Simon asked once more.

For a moment Anna just stood there. Whilst her mind told her to go back to filling up the shelves, something deep in her heart didn't want to just turn her back on Simon, whatever he might be intending. That was the problem though. Anna knew that Simon couldn't have any interest in her and, what's more, she wasn't at all sure on his intentions, good or bad. Against her better judgement though, Anna decided to play along.

"What do you need help with, Simon?" Anna asked.

"Well... I... was... h... hoping..." Simon started to explain, his nerves taking over.