Three Dinner Dates

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He took a deep breath, tried to compose himself, then started again, this time his words coming fast and furious at the watching blonde.

"I was hoping to ask the most beautiful young woman I know out on a date, and was looking for ideas on what I should cook for her?"

It was said. In his mind, Simon had seeded the question without putting Anna totally on the spot. He would wait for a glimmer of reaction.

Reaction? For sure there was a reaction, but Anna was too professional to let it show. Beneath the calm exterior, she was fuming. How dare he come into the shop, and have the cheek to ask her to help him organise his date? She had thought better of Simon, but he was like the rest... in fact he was worse than the rest. Rather than just forgetting all about her, he now wanted Anna to help him out with his own love life. If she had any feelings for the gorgeous hunk of a man standing in front of her--Anna had to admit that he was still gorgeous, despite now plummeting in her esteem--they were rapidly disappearing.

"You're serious? You want me to suggest what to cook? For you? For a date? With a woman?" Anna fired off a series of questions.

"Yes," Simon smiled back. "Very serious. I so don't want to make a mistake. She doesn't know it yet, but I think she is the best, and I want to show her. Can you help me, Anna? If I asked you, what would you see as the perfect dinner to cook for a date?"

In her heart, Anna wanted to slap him right there and then. He had some bottle, to be asking this of her. Couldn't he see how much she liked him? It was her mind though which won the battle. Yes, she would have gotten some short-term joy from creating a scene, but the long-term impact would have been a lost job and probably much worse. Much as she didn't want to, Anna would have to play along with his game. If Simon wanted a proper answer, then he was going to get one, and if that cost him an arm and a leg, then maybe he shouldn't have asked in the first place.

"Well... if you really want my opinion..." Anna started to reply, thinking on her feet as to just what she would have chosen if money was no object. "Steak... wagyu, or maybe a tomahawk... medium rare... with all the trimmings... washed down with an Argentinian malbec... and something soft and sweet for dessert, maybe a crème brulee or a chocolate souffle."

"Thank you, Anna," Simon responded. For a moment he stood there thinking over the response, mentally noting down every ingredient.

"Is that all, Simon?" Anna asked, hoping she had done her good deed for the day and that he would now allow her to get back to work.

"But..." Simon started to ask. "What if the steak wasn't up to it? What would you choose as an alternative?"

Anna wasn't expecting this second question. For a moment, she had to think.

"Fish, I guess... halibut or turbot, or something like that... pan-fried... oh, and swap the red for a crisp white... maybe a Gavi or an Albariño," came Anna's answer.

"Now, is there anything else I can help you with, as I must be getting back to work," Anna added.

"Well... there is one more question," Simon asked, the nervousness back in his voice. "I was wondering, Anna. Would you do me the pleasure of joining me for that dinner?"

"Wh... what?" Anna stuttered; not quite sure what Simon was suggesting.

"Anna... I think..." Simon started to ask his question again, before nerves took over.

He took a deep breath, then started again.

"Anna... I think you are the most beautiful young woman I have ever met, and I'd love it if you'd let me cook for you." Simon finally finished.

Anna's heart missed a beat. Her stomach did a cartwheel. Had he just asked her out? Had all that performance been to ask her on a date? And... did he expect her to instantly fall into his arms and say, yes?

"Are you..." Anna paused for a minute. "Are you asking me out?"

"I guess... god yes, Anna... would you go on a date with me?" Simon asked.

Of course, she wanted to say yes. Her heart told her to say yes, but her mind told her to be cautious. For all he was gorgeously handsome, Anna didn't really know that much about Simon, and he had just led her merrily up the garden path, hadn't he?

"Can I think about it, Simon?" Anna asked, not wanting to come across as being desperate.

"Of course," Simon replied. "Here's my number... let me know as soon as you can."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

There was a tear in Anna's eye as finally she went back to stacking her shelves. It was a tear of joy rather than one of sadness. The most gorgeous man she had ever met had just asked her out on a date, albeit he had a most convoluted way of doing so.

Anna hadn't exactly said yes, but she hadn't turned him down either.

Wasn't it fashionable to play hard to get?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Chapter Five

Another coffee, and this time Anna is in a quandary... not sure what to say to Simon

The following weekend, Anna was full of pent-up excitement when she next met with her sister. The two women had barely sat down before Anna was giving it her all, firing off everything like rounds from a machine gun, barely giving Chloe the chance to get a look into the conversation.

"Do you know what he did, Chloe?" Anna started.

"Wh--"

"He only came into the supermarket again," Anna continued.

"Did h--"

"Then he gave some story about having a hot date and asking me to help him choose what to cook. I was furious, but I didn't want to make a scene," Anna explained.

"You--"

"I told him steak... then he asked for an alternative... I told him fish... then he asked me..." Anna added.

"Asked you what?" Chloe finally managed to get a question out in full.

"Asked me to join him," Anna replied.

"To join him?" Chloe asked.

"For dinner... god, Chloe... didn't you listen to anything I said... he only went and asked me out on a date... a bloody date with Mr. Drop-Dead-Gorgeous."

"And you said?" Chloe replied, her voice calm and collected, the total opposite of the bubbly unpredictability coming from her sister.

For a moment Anna didn't respond.

"You did say something, didn't you Anna? Tell me you didn't just ignore him," Chloe asked.

"Well... I said..." Anna stumbled towards a reply.

"Go on..." Chloe encouraged.

"I said I'd think about it," Anna clarified.

"You did what!" Chloe practically screamed back at her sister. "I thought you liked him."

"I do... but as you said last time... they're all the same... and it's not like we have much in common, is it... him a banker, and me a shelf-stacker... so I said I'd think about it... he gave me his number, and I said I'd get back to him," came an emotional outpouring from Anna.

"Oh, Anna... don't take everything I say so literally..." Chloe responded.

Anna simply stared at her sister, unsure at quite what Chloe was trying to say.

"I mean..." Chloe continued. "He's not going to ask again... so if you think he's the one, then you text him back, right here, right now."

"And, say what?" Anna asked.

"Just give me the phone," Chloe demanded, suddenly taking control.

A couple of moments later, Chloe handed the phone back to Anna.

"There... all sent," she commented, smiling.

It was as Anna stared at the sent message that her phone burst into life with a reply.

Instantly Anna blushed.

Wrapped up in the sort of accolades which bordered on pure flattery, Simon had suggested his place, the following Saturday.

"What did he say?" Chloe asked.

"He said Saturday..." Anna responded, "and I said... can't wait."

"Anna has a hot date..." Chloe teased, a knowing smile on her face as she rummaged in her handbag. "Oh, and you better take this."

As she spoke, Chloe took a small foil-wrapped package from her handbag and tossed it towards her sister.

"Chloe!" Anna called out as the object landed in her lap. She didn't need to look any closer to know exactly what her sister had chucked at her. "What am I going to do with that?"

"Well... we don't want you ending up like her, do we?" Anna whispered, at the same time glancing across the coffee shop towards a young woman with a pushchair.

Anna didn't respond, but the scowl on her face told Chloe that Anna wasn't exactly amused at the suggestion. As if Anna would go the whole way on a first date.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Chapter Six

Dinner Date #2 - will Anna and Simon enjoy more than just the meal?

Simon had offered to pick Anna up and drive her to his apartment, but Anna had turned down the offer in preference of taking her own Uber. She'd googled his address the minute he had given it, and just as expected it was one of the apartment blocks overlooking the river, not a million miles from where her sister lived.

It was the image of this chic modern apartment block which had convinced the young blonde to make her own way over. In her mind there was still a touch of insecurity around her background, and Anna really didn't want Simon seeing where she lived and comparing her modest terrace to his flashy palace. In her mind it had to be a flashy palace, didn't it?

With no traffic, the drive had taken a little under twenty minutes. It was still daylight when the cab pulled off the road, coming to a halt in a small courtyard.

"Are we there?" Anna asked

It was a rhetorical question as she recognised the design of the apartment blocks from what she had seen on Google Streetview. There were three similarly designed blocks, each facing the river, but set at slight angles to one another to soften the impact on the waterline. The blocks themselves looked brand new. If they had been designed to impress, they were certainly successful, with their mix of shiny glass and metallic cladding.

"Riverside Wharf," the driver responded. "I'm guessing Phase 3 is the one on the right, but I'm sure it will be signposted. Do you want me to hang around for a moment?"

"No... no... I'll be fine," Anna replied, opening the car door, and stepping out.

"Thank you," Anna addressed the driver, then watched him pull away.

Anna hadn't been sure what to wear for the evening. Should she have dressed up, donning one of her little black dresses that she would wear for a night on the town, or would that have been just a little over the top for a dinner date? She wanted to be honest to herself, and the façade of those sexy little numbers wasn't the true Anna, was it? That said, the dull predictability of her working uniform also didn't give a true picture of the beautiful blonde.

In the end, the compromise had been a below the knee length loose cream skirt, the fabric full and hanging in folds which swayed as she walked. Up top was a pale red spotted blouse, again loose fitting, with three-quarter-length sleeves, and a tie-around belt which hung down in a bow in front of Anna. Her shoes were flats, strappy sandals in a shade of cream not too dissimilar to the skirt. It was smart, yet relaxed, chic without being too much.

Anna took a deep breath.

She was here.

She was alone.

There was no going back now.

Anna followed a path between the most neatly manicured gardens you could imagine, all the time heading towards the block on the right. Even at ground level, the place was beautiful. The gardens were perfect. Beds of tall grasses wafted in whatever breeze there was, softening the view over towards the river. The last flowers of summer added highlights amongst the swaying foliage.

As for the river, from where she was walking, it was present more in sound than vision, the lush foliage seeming to hide the wide expanse of water. She could see the top of the last tourist boats making their way upstream, or maybe it was downstream. She could hear the chug of motors, and the ripples in their wake, as they passed on by. To say it was idyllic, was an understatement.

The sun was already starting to redden as evening crept ever closer, but still there was warmth in the air. For a moment, Anna just stood there, watching one last boat. If she didn't have anywhere to be, Anna would have found a peaceful spot on one of the lawns and simply watched the world go by. She had lived in awe of her sister's apartment, but this place took it to another level.

If the gardens alone were so perfect, Anna could only imagine just what the apartments themselves looked like. But that was the thing. Other than telling her it was Phase 3; Simon hadn't given her any other details as to how to find him. Her only instructions had been to make herself known at the front desk when she arrived.

A low metal sign gave Anna the confidence she was looking for. In black letters on the shiny steel background, the sign clearly announced that this was indeed Phase 3, and even was kind enough to indicate the direction of the reception. As she walked slowly towards the front of the apartment block, Anna forgot she was only a stone's throw from the hustle and bustle of the city. She had something else on her mind, or to be more precise, someone else.

And then it hit her. From behind, the blocks were a mix of glass and metal cladding, modern and impressive. Come to the front though, to the riverside, and it was glass which very much took over, whatever metalwork still present being simply to ensure stability to the building. Balcony after balcony, each with waist-high glass walls, covered the six upper stories of the building, giving what must have been an unobstructed view over the river itself. As the sun continued to darken in the evening sky, the building took on a warming glow of its own.

Anna could have stayed here all evening, listening to the river, and watching the sun slowly set, but that wouldn't get her to Simon, would it? Anna headed inside. She was busy gazing around the marble-tiled entrance come reception area, admiring the sheer opulence of this place, when a male voice called out towards her.

"Can I help you, Miss?"

Like a naughty schoolgirl, caught in the act, Anna spun around in the direction of the question. She hadn't noticed at first, but to the left of the entrance was a reception desk and sat behind it, in the smartest security uniform she had ever seen, was a middle-aged man. He smiled towards Anna, and she found herself smiling back.

"Errm... yes..." Anna started, a bout of nerves hitting her as she stared back at the security guard. "I am here to visit Phase 3," Anna announced, without really thinking about what she had just said.

The security guard's smile widened.

"Well," he responded, his voice soft and comforting. "This is Phase 3, but I'm guessing you're not here to visit me."

"Oh my," Anna replied, blushing. "Did I just say that? I'm... I'm... sorry... I meant to say I'm here to meet Simon..."

Anna paused. She was here to meet Simon alright, but Simon who? She'd met him three times and never once asked his surname. What did that make of the young blonde, that she didn't even know who she was going out on a date with? How many Simons were there going to be in a place like this, and what if she ended up knocking on the door of the wrong Simon. That would be even worse than the day that he turned up unexpectedly at her workplace.

To Anna's surprise, her incomplete statement of intent was met with a simple question.

"Simon, you say. Can I ask your name?"

"Anna... Anna Warren," Anna replied, making sure to emphasise her surname.

"Ah yes, Ms Warren... I have you right here," the security guard replied, as he peered at his computer screen. "Go on up, Simon's expecting you."

The blank expression on Anna's face must have been a giveaway.

"The lifts are behind the door to your right. I'll open it from here, so listen for the buzz. You'll find Simon on the top floor."

"Thank you," Anna replied.

She headed towards the back of the reception area. As she approached the single door, Anna heard the buzz of the locking mechanism being released. She pushed hard and the door swung open.

"Have a good evening, Ms Warren," the security guard spoke. "Oh... and it is Simon Henderson, if it makes a difference."

Anna turned and smiled back towards the front desk.

"Thank you," she repeated, and then let the door close behind her.

Anna stood in front of the lifts. There were two, but with nothing to distinguish between them, she assumed that either would take her to the top floor. She pressed the up button and as if on command, with an accompanying ding, the doors opened on one of the lifts. Anna stepped inside and looked at the row of buttons. The numbers ran from minus-two through to six, with descriptions pointing out the parking floors below ground, the health spa on the first floor, and the ground floor where she had just entered. The rest were just numbers, and she assumed must have been the living floors.

Carefully, Anna pressed floor six and waited.

"Doors closing... going up," a female voice confirmed the direction of travel.

Seconds later, the same voice announced the arrival.

"Sixth floor... doors opening."

Anna stepped out of the lift and onto another marble-tiled landing. Where now, she thought to herself. The only instructions had been to come up to the top floor, so how was that going to help her? She had hoped that Simon would be waiting for her, but he wasn't.

If Anna wanted to find her date, she was going to have to go looking, and to just hope that the clues were obvious. From the lift area there was a door to the left and a door to the right. The one on the left was clearly marked as PRIVATE, so in effect that left her with one choice. Anna took the door on the right, and for the first time caught a glimpse of the river view through the first of what she assumed were endless wall to ceiling windows around the front of the building.

Anna wanted to simply stare down at the river, but she knew better than to keep her date waiting. If she was lucky then his apartment might have a similar view, and if not, then dinner would be an ample substitute. Anna walked along the corridor as it followed the outline of the lift block. She was expecting to see any number of doors off to individual apartments, but there were just two, the second of which was conveniently labelled Henderson in a neatly engraved metal plaque.

Plucking up courage, her heart beating noticeably faster than normal, Anna knocked on the door, and waited. In her mind, Anna still feared the worst. That was just her nature. What if he didn't answer? What if he had somebody else with him? Her thought process had moved on to what if he had forgotten about the whole dinner date thing, when the door opened.

"Anna," Simon announced, giving Anna a very European peck on each cheek. "Come in... come in..."

"I hope you found my little place without any problems..." Simon continued as he led Anna inside his apartment.

"Yes... yes... the security guard downstairs was most helpful," Anna replied.

Anna followed Simon along the entrance hallway, noticing a large bathroom on one side, and a personal office space on the other, both rooms internal to the apartment. It was as they reached the end of the hallway that Anna's jaw dropped. Beyond the internal rooms, the rest of the apartment was floor to ceiling glass windows, with an enormous open-plan kitchen-come-diner-come-lounge, and two equally large bedrooms.

Anna just stood there and stared.

Little place? Yes, it was an apartment, but in square footage it was more than likely double the size of Anna's tiny terrace house. If penthouses weren't a figment of one's dreams, then this would have to be up there as one of the best. From the clean look of polished marble to the plush rugs, and stylish furnishings, Anna was in awe.

Everything was modern.

Everything was sophisticated.