Flapper Dick Ch. 13

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Court appointed dick. He asked me to look into this case on his way to court, so read the report on it and there were holes. So drove over to the crime scene to talk to the witnesses and discovered a gang house across the street. Talked to the fella sitting there and there was a witness not questioned already. He wasn't there at the time but did share, the fella done the offing didn't walk to the crime scene on the street that was noticed. Suggests he came in the house from the alley and would explain the argument, I'd yell at someone I don't know come in my back door." Judge is nodding and puts his hand up.

"Before anything else, is anything being done with that gang?"

"No, they had a witness and told me of another gang close by they are not bothering and not large enough to bother them. Doesn't mean the other gang won't be robbing and access through alley is rather common I think. The fella I talked to also expressed interest in making witness of other gangs without giving his name away, so I will discuss that with the County Attorney soon as I get back to the offices." Judge is nodding and even smiles.

"That isn't bad, gives us better look at the wrong doers. Be sure and tell him that if nothing else to call me and I will write a warrant on their information." I am nodding with the prosecutor.

"I will do that, and then there was a fella looked like the accused at the gang house I went to, bought a washing machine belt and was told of drugs so raid happening shortly. I left records calling in on it and told them all I just did on the new gang house."

"So my client was wrongly accused?" I am nodding at the defense attorney, along with the judge.

"I'm going to dismiss this case and do hope your client still has work lined up." Defense attorney is nodding.

"This case moved fast, I admit the case looked good enough though I am troubled on the holes as she put it." Judge is nodding to that.

"I agree, and there isn't anything we can do, but at least we have a stopgap now. Now, all agreed on case dismissed and an apology?" Prosecutor is nodding, I am doing the same since it seemed like the judge wants my input.

Get pulled over to the prosecutor table then the judge is banging on the desk and declares case dismissed. He also explains why and apologizes to the accused so he is smiling. Reporters swarm me and ask so I share learning the information from the witnesses. Do leave out the gang house, besides the part where they are breaking the law the one I talked to was nice, just in a bad situation.

Reporters are happy with the raid happening on another gang house. Also like that the investigation wasn't so much done wrong as understaffed. Gives them a new complaint, which is the same as it was before the bulls added in more. Suppose means that there will be another station being built, just to have more detectives and patrol.

At least hopefully anyway, also making my exit of the courthouse, eventually. Had to go collect my notebook since I don't have another. I can go buy a new one, and probably should, though Fred will complain about how I bought a washing machine belt off a gang. In an odd twist, I get the belt and the notebook.

Bulls had said they didn't need the belt and I can take it home with me. Rather good arrangement since I paid as much as they cost at the store so we have one for when the one we just bought wears out. Back at the offices I am driving around trying to find a spot to park and the secretary comes out while I am driving past the door.

Jaw drops since she races out into the street and hops up on my running board. She is giggling as she hops over the door into the back seat. Also directs on going to a diner so I drive us to a diner. A little bit early for lunch since there are three inside the diner, and plenty of others parking when we are opening the door to go in.

Inside we look around then she pulls me along to a booth and sits on the same side I did. So I am looking over at her then a couple fellas sit with us so I am looking at them. About then realize one works in the County Attorney offices, means the other must do the same. Not seen him before, the one I know is the same one that I talked to about the fella offed a gang member with a knife.

"Hoping you are not too bored sitting in an office to come back." I snort and shake my head.

"I got handed a folder for a case starting today, there were holes in the report. Went out to talk to the witnesses and found a gang house across the street, so talked to them and got told of a different gang close by. The different gang had the fella who did the murder with them so likely doing a raid right now on them." Both fella's jaw has dropped then we get a waitress.

She is giggling as she hands over menus so go through mine and decide on getting a cheeseburger. These come with fries, they have the press here. The fellas both get a cheeseburger and she gets a salad. So I am teasing her on getting a salad instead of the really good cheeseburger. Has everyone laughing for a little while.

"So case dismissed?" I am nodding since it was.

"Also perhaps have a gang looking for other gangs to call in reports on. Helps the gang but also hurts other gangs near them so less violence." Both fellas are nodding then the one I don't know is frowning.

"How are they going to call in reports and not get pinched?"

"I told the fella I talked with to call the office and we would then contact a judge. The one sitting on the case I just got dismissed said he would write up warrants on their information."

"Good, but also a little bad since gangs tend to rob those around them." We are all nodding.

"True, though the gang snitching on other gangs knows there won't be help on getting out of a pinch and raids can be called on them. I made sure to mention that."

"Probably shouldn't mention this to the reporters." I am shaking my head.

"I already talked to them and didn't mention that part. I just talked about filling in the holes of the case the bulls handed over and finding a gang that is likely where the murderer is."

"Also only one gang, so won't make that much of a difference." We are all nodding, and it gives me a thought.

"Would bulls be able to have snitches that are not pinched?" Both lawyers frown for a moment then nod.

"Absolutely, the hitch comes with any information gained in such a way means the snitch is a witness and can be compelled to appear in court."

"Isn't there a way to add to the laws so a snitch can not reveal themselves?"

"Possible but would have to be argued over. Seeing the witness against you is promised, it has to happen. To call in on a raid it doesn't matter as much simply because the warrant to get the raid to go in the first place stops mattering when there is so much evidence found in the raid."

"Not to mention a number of them die in the actual raid itself."

We are all nodding and when our food arrives so we shush and fall to on our food. Apparently we are all hungry. In my case I got an excuse, knocked up skirt and baby is getting bigger. About halfway through my burger the conversation picks up again.

"As soon as there is a raid called in by the gang the rest will learn about the snitching I am sure. Reporters like to detail everything about a raid and something along the line of unknown witness is juicy enough to be written in big letters front page."

"So long as nobody suggests I go around to the gangs and tell them to call the office to report other gangs to get a raid on them. I was nervous enough pretending to be a harried skirt needing a washing machine belt. Tribune has front page news of me taking out gang houses, I get spotted as the court appointed dick and I am getting shot at." Everybody is nodding.

"Never pondered suggesting that. I was thinking that the defense attorneys will learn of this and tell their clients when pinched for standing at a stop to sell."

"Speaking of that, could we add a law that forbids folk from just sitting someplace that isn't home?"

"Interesting idea, would have to take it to the mayor. I'd say governor but most of the state isn't city anyway. Not sure it would be added to city law, it's not a huge problem so far."

"This is true, looking for a lost boy and stopping at the train stops he would have passed we only found one group selling."

Everybody nods and we finish eating, secretary taking fries so I tease her on wanting more than a salad. Leave a pretty good tip for the waitress, we all dropped change and not a single one is a dime. Getting back to the office is easy, finding a spot to park at on the other hand. End up turning at a cross street and parking halfway down the street and it's not a short walk.

Get teased the whole way on having to walk almost as far as I do to reach my office. Which is funny since she is the only one with a shorter walk. Course get into my office and remember I need to talk to the County Attorney. Take off my jacket and leave that hanging on the coat rack, it's a little warm in the building.

Walk along and then groan because I realize I don't know where his office is. None of them have a name on the door. Get lucky then, one of the fellas comes out of his office and stops to look at me. I look him over in return, he has a folder in his hands and likely is coming to talk to me, or our boss.

"I need to talk to Mr. Crowe but no idea which office is his." He snorts and grins.

"I happen to know which one and was heading to talk to him anyway." Grin and offer my arm to him so he links us up and on we go.

"No pinch on that case?"

"Have a pinch and it was investigated good, I'm just unsure on if we should take to court. Accused offed a gang member and claims he was protecting himself."

"I see the problem there, take to court and chances are good he is acquitted since it was a gang member."

Fella is nodding then we stop in front of an office and he knocks. Faintly can hear a come in so door is open and I get ushered in first. Go over to one of the visitor chairs and take a seat. Then I am looking around and the office is just as nice as mine. Little surprising since he is an elected official, you just sort of assume they surround themselves with expensive things on taxpayer dime.

"What are you both here to argue with me over?" I am giggling now and shake my head.

"I was handed a case by a fella on his way to courthouse. There was holes in the report so went to investigate and found a gang house that witnessed. Got me new information and a better description of the fella that did the offing. Turned out to be a different gang three actual streets south of the crime scene. Raid happening on the gang that offed the fella, and the gang I talked to wants to call in on other gangs to get raids. I said they could call the office and we would get a warrant without demanding their name." Mr. Crowe's hand comes up so stop there.

"The judge you told about this in court called up and pledged his support so I got a good run down on it. I think it is a good idea, and not just because the judge said so." I am nodding.

"Bulls have problems seeing gangs until they get big enough to attack each other, and up in north side mostly they are not being called about. South side I heard they are told of gangs but nobody reports seeing drugs and stolen items being sold."

"Not quite true, there are raids that you don't call in on all over Chicago, just not enough of them."

"I'm not sure it is possible to have enough, seems like we take down one gang and two more pop up."

"Before you two go off on a rant I'm not sure what to do, got a good case except the fella offed a gang member." Mr. Crowe is nodding and frowns so put my hand up.

"I'm not big on gangs either, but they are still regular people like us." Both of the fellas are nodding.

"Also nothing in the laws to account for defending yourself. We will release a statement detailing there will be no trial and why, along with mentioning what you said, gang members are still regular people. Give me that folder and then go on get, need to write up the statement."

We both exit his room and then walk back to our offices. In my case I am going back to my book and read more on the mysterious affair. It is really interesting and then so many clues as to who did the poisoning, I mean everyone in the house could have. Big house so plenty of suspects and you practically have to finish the book to know who did it.

Not that I get to, I'm not that fast of a reader anyway, and then at four a fella steps in my office with a folder. Look over at him and groan so he is chuckling as he drops the folder on my desk.

"Not a big hurry on this, have a fella in custody and found the stolen items."

"So why take this to me?"

"Because the bulls can't find the why. Mansion and the fella been pinched is the son so there is no reason for him to take jewelry."

"Possible if say he was a bad gambler or taking drugs." Fella snorts and shakes his head.

"Pinch shows no signs of being an addict and according to folks, he is a gambler but good at it. He even admits to playing poker for dough, and then horses."

"Being a well to do family he would be allowed to look over the horses and have an idea on which are good before the race, alright I am with the bulls, him stealing sounds false." Fella is nodding then frowns.

"I will mention besides being loaded the parents are older so have old values and I hope you won't go in a pink suit." Roll my eyes at him pulling chuckles.

"Not a fella so I shouldn't be wearing the same three colors. I will mention Penney sells dark blue suits that are very nice and variation in colors in here would be nice."

"I am not a lawyer, full on office worker. Basically means I handle the phone calls to witnesses if the lawyer is late for court, and then the mail and filing folders."

"Ah good to know, I think add a drop box, I'm only coming in on Monday for right now so if it's a low urgency you can just drop it in the box."

"I can do that, should have a number in storage. The things are broken occasionally so a stockpile is held and replenished as needed. I was also told to get you a copy of the police reports." I am frowning now since that bears a question.

"Why do I get the police reports?"

"I think mostly because you had mentioned expecting to see the desk buried in them. Also gives you things to do, read the reports and then if spot more holes you can go out and question witnesses again. Before you ask except for things like murders with a pinch we get them come in on Monday. Gives the bulls time to type them up and get their files sorted, along with spend more time with investigating."

"So next Monday I won't see my desk?" He is laughing for a short bit.

"Don't actually see that many. I mean granted there seem to be murders daily and so forth but really fifty reports is a heavy load, usually get less since plenty of the lesser charges are handled without legal action."

"What about like the jewelry thieves where the bulls can't make headway and get more capers?"

"There are reports on that too, the bulls investigate those and try to make headway so mostly it's just giving us a report on what they have so far. Also remember you stopping that one by looking into a murder, the cases were not handled by one detective."

"So if I spot a trend I should call up the station and mention that?" He frowns for a moment then shrugs.

"May help, also may hurt since all of the cases likely would go to the initial detective."

"I think it would help more than hurt, if he knows where all of their capers are at perhaps he can figure out a next target or something."

"I'm not sure anyone has thought of that, so definitely call up the bulls and alert to trends you notice. I can get maps of Chicago if you would like." Frown for a moment then nod since a map would help.

"Yes, not so much so I can plot out where the capers are or something, but I don't know Chicago fully and a map would be nice."

"Next week you will find a stack of maps, and a pin board so you can plot out capers if you want."

I snort and he leaves so go into the folder and this is a full folder. Plenty of information on the mansion, even have maps. Roughly drawn maps but I know how the mansion lies, big place, with two stories. Also a little odd, the jewels are not in the bedroom they are in a different room, in a safe but still.

One would think the jewelry would be kept where one sleeps and get dressed. Also find a full listing of principles questioned. They have maids, and a butler, along with cook and assistant for her. This is a rather well stocked house with folk who can take offense to the family. Also realize one thing, the fella pinched is not that old.

Twenty two isn't young or anything but young enough that a young maid would catch his eye. Likely not that hard to get her giving him nookie. On her side if he is a handsome fella and nice perhaps it means she can have maids doing things for her instead of being a maid. On his side most likely she is simply shapely and fellas always want nookie it seems.

Finished reading the report to find that any of the people at the house could have done it. Also have an idea on what to do, but likely will need Fred for this. I better get home and talk to him before he goes to work. Secretary looks over at me as I come through the door into the lobby then rolls her eyes so go over to her and poke.

"Just got handed this one about a mansion been robbed and jewelry found with son. Going to go home and talk to Fred on it, likely take him with tomorrow to talk to the family and servants."

"Good plan, and mostly I was realizing you don't have a raincoat. Best to be getting one of those since you drive around in a breezer."

"Good point, will stop at Penney on the way home."

She waves me off so I am getting out of the building and not raining. The clouds are forming however so it will again later and I better get the top up when I stop at Penney. Get to my breezer and climb in to wait for a bit, plenty of traffic. Finally get under way and drive over to Penney, that is easy, having space to turn on the other hand.

Hands are shaking when I turn in and do it a little fast since the whole street is driving fast. Thinking perhaps I should make Fred drive me around sees me into the store. Over to the elevator and get to wait for it to come down, with a few others. More join as I am standing there then the elevator comes down again and we all squeeze in past those getting off.

Luckily for me it is all fellas that get on, though I am pushed against the back wall. First floor nobody gets off, so I am still pushed into the wall. Second floor most fellas get off so I yell after about should buy blue suits. Everyone still on the elevator is chuckling up to third floor where the rest get off.

Poke elevator fella when we stop on fourth floor. He and the few skirts who get on are chuckling then we go up to fifth and he makes a comment of no more pokes. I don't get a clerk to guide me so I just wander over to a counter where there is a clerk and ask about raincoats. Get pointed the right way so go over and find some rather nice raincoats.

End up getting a rather nice light tan trench coat that hangs farther than my skirts. I wouldn't mind a longer model to cover my shoes better but they don't have. Even find a cover for my hat, which is rather nice since I do have a silk hat. I hadn't even thought of that, I got my breezer going this morning in the rain wearing a silk hat.

Dread visions of an ugly looking hat I yank it off to look. Looks fine, with some spots of darker so I didn't ruin it or anything. Will have to remember to try and clean it later. So pay for what I picked out then eventually get out of the building. Darn elevator doesn't go that fast and stops at each floor, so I went down calling the elevator fella names, has him chuckling.

123456...9