Jean: The Box Cutter Murders Ch. 04

Story Info
The Velvet Groove.
16.2k words
4.75
9.1k
1
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
loerics
loerics
959 Followers

Content Warning: The following chapter is part of a novel-length murder mystery with graphic violence and gratuitous non-consensual sex. Since I am writing for Literotica, the story contains more sex than mystery.

This story is in Nonconsent/Reluctance for a reason.

Sensitive readers should look elsewhere for entertainment.

This story took place in 1977. There were no DNA tests, no cell phones, no internet, and computers were scarce.

Chapter 4: The Velvet Groove

I was so excited after acing the Monday morning quiz in Contract Law, I skipped lunch and headed straight to Professor Williams' office. I couldn't wait to tell him that I could now read David's coded notebooks. Luckily his star intern was out of town, and I got in to see him without waiting.

I had no sooner sat down before I bounced up and opened one of David's notebooks in front of the professor. I had spent half of the night decoding the notebooks and had become proficient enough in the process that I could now slowly decode on the fly. He skimmed through the notebook and stopped at a page with a drawing of a beautiful young woman. I read the entry associated with the illustration, but the text gave no indication of any criminal intent. The subject was simply a girl David had observed on the street. There was a sensual quality to the drawing, but the girl was drawn fully clothed.

Professor Williams was disappointed that I did not have the notebook for the day Inesa was kidnapped and murdered.

I said, "I'm afraid that notebook is missing. It was not in David's bedroom, and it is not part of the evidence collected by the police. His aunt insisted he was still using a notebook in the days before the murder. Marian was very definite when she said the third young man who went off with Inesa was writing in a notebook. Later that night the notebook disappeared."

"Jean, I'm impressed that you broke the code, but without the missing notebook, you have nothing relevant to the case."

I could feel the professor's frustration. I stared at notebook wishing I could change the dates on the cover. I remembered something the coroner had said about previous murders with the same modus operandi. I pulled a legal pad out of my floppy purse. Thank God, I had written down the dates of the related crimes before I puked.

"We may be in luck. The coroner said Inesa wasn't the first prostitute murdered with box cutters. These notebooks cover the dates of the two known previous murders."

I quickly flipped through the pages of the older notebook until I found the date of one of the box cutter murders. I was surprised to find drawings of tents, boy scouts, and knots. David had attended a Boy Scout Jamboree near Pittsburgh while a young prostitute was being murdered a mile from his home in North Philadelphia. It was either an elaborate cover-up or David wasn't involved.

The professor said, "If we could prove all of the box cutter murders were performed by the same person then this suggests David wasn't the perpetrator. It's not strong evidence, but it's a start. I think you need to verify that David was at the jamboree. What about the other box cutter murder?"

I searched through the more recent notebook and found the entry for the date of the box cutter murder before Inesa's. The notebook indicated that David had spent the night at home. His comments expressed his anger at Jamel and Youssef for ditching him. It was nearly two days before David indicated the next contact with his nephews. Once again, the notebook suggested David was innocent, or he had covered his tracks.

Professor Williams frowned and shook his head. His attitude made me nervous. I was desperate for his approval. When I started my internship with him, he had made it clear that he didn't give out law school credits unless the intern made considerable progress on one of his cases. He had said I was welcome to work on the case for as long as it took, but I didn't have the funds to last beyond the summer. As it was, I had borrowed from my mother to pay for my summer classes. Even if somehow, I managed to pass Contract Law, I would still be lacking two credits for my law degree. In short, I was desperate. Desperate enough to talk to a vicious psychopath.

When Marian saw Inesa going off with Jamel, Youssef, and David, she said Herod followed them. Marian's pimp had commented that Jamel and Youssef had a reputation for rough play, and, even worse, they were known for stiffing prostitutes. I wondered if Herod had any knowledge of the missing notebook. He might also know if David's cousins had ditched him again.

"Do you think we should talk to Herod?"

The professor said, "I would love to find out what he knows, but Herod is one scary dude. He hates me for refusing to defend him after he viciously battered an underage prostitute. He spent three years in Graterford Prison for the assault where he learned from some of the best professional criminals. He spent a lot of time lifting weights and learning to box, but the main thing he learned was how not to get caught. He is an old-school gorilla pimp who specializes in the rough seasoning of new girls from Eastern Europe. Inesa and Marian were just the last of a long number of girls he has trafficked."

"What do you mean by seasoning?"

"Seasoning is the process of breaking down a victim's resistance to ensure compliance. It involves a combination of psychological manipulation, intimidation, gang rape, sodomy, beatings, deprivation of food or sleep, isolation from friends or family and other sources of support, and threatening or holding hostage a victim's children. From what I've heard he's employed all those techniques. He is particularly adept at beating his victims. He is a small, wiry bastard with lightning fast fists. I don't want anything to do with him."

I had no stomach for a repeat of my disastrous sting operation, but it had helped me win Marian's trust and gotten her to talk. As far as I was concerned, the information that David had followed Inesa only added to my belief he was guilty of the murder. As far as I was concerned, the notebooks were a smokescreen. I hoped that Herod would confirm what I already believed in my heart and put an end to this case. I didn't care if David was innocent or guilty if we closed the case and I got my credits.

I said, "I need to talk to Herod. Maybe Samuel could help set up a meeting. He has street smarts and knows the business as well as Herod. He also hates Herod."

"The hatred goes both ways. At his best, Herod is a powder keg ready to explode at the slightest affront. After Samuel stole Marian from him, Herod lost a knife fight with Youssef over Inesa's murder. If Herod catches a whiff of either Samuel's or my involvement, the whole plan will blow up. You won't have any backup if you manage a meeting with Herod. I guarantee you don't want to be anywhere near Herod if he discovers he is being played."

"It wouldn't hurt to talk to Samuel."

The professor shook his head as he picked up his phone. "Hey, Samuel, Jean and I need your help with your friend Herod. Can we talk?"

I heard cursing on the phone. After a pause, the professor said, "OK, see you at the bar in twenty minutes."

He looked at me and said, "I don't think it is smart to go near Herod, but if that nasty piece of shit knows something that could free David then it's worth discussing."

I had skipped lunch to tell Professor Williams what I had learned from the notebooks.

I said, "At least I can grab a steak sandwich. I'm starved."

#

We got to the bar before Samuel and grabbed a booth. The professor ordered a pitcher of Schmidt's lager, and I asked for a Philly steak sandwich. By the time Samuel arrived, I had devoured half of the cheesy goodness of the local favorite. The professor filled Samuel in with the status of the investigation while I finished my sandwich. It took me two beers to down the sandwich. I was amused that the professor treated the information I had obtained at a great cost as his own. Samuel, of course, was aware of the ordeal Marian and I had endured together. He was impressed when I demonstrated my ability to read David's coded notebooks.

Samuel said, "Jean, even I have to watch my back around Herod. He knows I would kill him in a fair fight, but he's a nasty piece of shit. You would be smart to stay away from him. Hell, his own mother abandoned him after naming him after one of the Bible's most despised individuals. He spent his childhood going from one foster home to another. One family bought him a pet, and he cut it to pieces for fun. Herod was my bet for the monster that carved up Inesa before they arrested David. If David is innocent, then Herod is once again my prime suspect."

The professor said, "Jean, I think we have enough to confront David. I think the next move should be to have you interview him at Graterford Prison."

I said, "But wouldn't we have a better chance of getting the truth out of David if we know what Herod saw when he followed them? Samuel, what do you think? Is there a safe way for me to talk to Herod?"

"Jean, the professor is right. You shouldn't go anywhere near him."

"Well, he hates both of you. I'm the only one who has a chance. Isn't there any safe place to talk to him?"

Samuel said, "Herod has a favorite bar in the eastern part of North Philly called the Velvet Groove. He likes to scout out the girls who come for the weekly amateur dance contest. The contestants are desperate for the prize money and good candidates for recruitment as prostitutes. I know the bartender. He can provide protection and get you into the dance contest tomorrow night."

The professor interrupted Samuel. "You've got to be kidding! The Velvet Groove is infamous. It's the roughest sex bar in all of Philly. I met a client there and felt so dirty afterward, I spent an hour in the shower. I'll never get what I saw out of my mind. For God's sake, Samuel, how are you going to protect Jean from the regulars, let alone from Herod?"

"I went to school with the new owner who is also the bartender. I would trust him with my life, and he owes me a favor. He has three big intimidating bouncers who keep a lid on the place. He doesn't want a repeat of the incident that put the last owner out of business."

I felt overwhelmed as the two men argued over my head about using me to do something the professor considered dangerous. I said, "What incident?"

The professor turned to me and grimaced. "The SPCA got the Velvet Groove closed down for animal cruelty. Women were having sex with dogs on the stage. There was a disturbance when a fraternity from Penn showed up expecting to see a woman perform with a donkey. There was a lot of beer and drugs involved. The new owner doesn't tolerate that kind of performance."

I felt sick to my stomach. "So, the place has been cleaned up?'

The professor protested, "There is a new owner, but from what I've heard the place hasn't changed except to ban bestiality. Most of the women who work at the Velvet Groove are prostitutes. The second floor of the bar is all private rooms for entertaining Johns. The club dancers finish their last set totally naked, and the DJ auctions them off for a trip upstairs. It's too risky to try and meet Herod there. I can see all kinds of problems."

I stared at the professor for a moment. I appreciated him being concerned about my safety, but if Samuel thought he could protect me, it was worth a shot to find out what Herod knew.

"I know it sounds dangerous, but I'd still like to hear Samuel's plan. We keep hitting dead ends on David's case. Talking to Herod may be the only way to break the case open. It's not like the police are going to interview Herod."

The professor shrugged. I knew he was more interested in freeing David than my safety. He had made his protest and could feel good about himself.

Samuel said, "My idea is to have you take a job at the club as a waitress. Herod usually arrives about an hour before the dance contest. There aren't many white girls working in bars in North Philly, so you'll get Herod's attention for sure. Hopefully, if you've been working for a few hours the regulars will accept you, and our mark won't get suspicious. The bartender will have you wait on Herod when he arrives. You can give him the old sob story about being a broke college student desperate to pay off her debts. When you mention you are entering the amateur dance contest, he won't be able to resist offering to coach you. He'll buy you a drink to keep you at the table. At some point, he'll try to recruit you for his stable. He'll offer to take you on and train you. He'll promise that you'll make a lot more money for less work than a waitress."

"This is where it gets tricky. Tell him you're afraid to work the streets. You need to bring up Inesa getting killed. You can ask him what he did to protect Inesa, and how he will prevent any harm coming to you."

The professor said, "Your plan has a lot of loose ends. How do you know Herod will be willing to discuss Inesa? Jean can't reveal that she knows Herod followed Inesa."

"I could ask if he keeps an eye on his girls when he is suspicious of their date."

Samuel said, "Do you have any experience waitressing?"

"I worked as a waitress for nearly two years at the University of Wisconsin Alumni Club while I was there for college. I've been groped by college presidents, professors, and alumni. I think I can handle the Velvet Groove."

The professor said, "Waitressing at the Velvet Groove is a lot different than an Alumni Club. Of course, you serve food and drinks, but you have extra duties including lap dances and working as a B-girl."

"I don't have any experience lap dancing, and I have no idea what a B-girl does."

"A B-girl drinks with the patrons and listens to their sad stories. You'll order expensive drinks, but the bartender will serve you cheap booze that has been watered down. You can pour it on the decorative plants around the booths if you don't want to drink it. Don't worry about learning the art of giving lap dances. If we do this, you can come over to my place for lunch. My girls will teach you everything you need to know about lap dancing in an hour. They'll help you with makeup and a costume. The dance contest could be a little trickier. I don't suppose you know how to dance?"

I laughed. All those years of dance classes my Mom had me take would finally pay off. The truth was, I loved dancing. I had continued to take dance in high school and college.

After I described my capabilities on the dance floor, Samuel said, "Dancing in a strip club is a little different, but I think Trixie can teach you the basics of the bump and grind as well as lap dancing. I don't think you'll have time to learn pole dancing. The Velvet Groove installed a pole about a year ago. The patrons love it. I put a pole in the basement a couple of months ago for Butterfly. She's been giving the rest of my girl's lessons. I'm sure she can teach how to do a basic spin."

"Samuel, we're in luck. My dance teacher at Cornell brought in a striper to conduct a workshop. I can bump and grind with the best of them. I even have a repertory of basic strip moves. I think I can hold my own in an amateur dance contest."

The professor said, "Oh dear God Jean, you continue to surprise me."

Samuel laughed, "This I have to see."

"Give me a quarter for the jukebox, and I'll give you a demonstration of my stripper credentials."

The professor was faster on the draw than Samuel. He tossed a quarter on the table. I grabbed my mug of beer and chugged the rest of the glass. I walked over to the jukebox and selected a lively R&B number. I wasn't really dressed for performing. I was wearing khakis that were tight on my ass and a blouse. I wasn't wearing a bra. I undid the top two buttons of my top and revealed a good amount of cleavage. I caught the attention of the bartender and the few patrons who were drinking in the middle of the afternoon. Maybe I had said stripper a bit too loud.

When the music started, I shook my ass in the professor's face. I did a dip and spin. I turned to an old man nursing a beer at the bar and bent over facing him. I shook my tits and got the desired response as his eyes bugged out. Everyone in the bar was watching as I shimmied around the small dance floor. I played with the zipper to my khakis for a moment before sliding it down to show off my bikini underwear. I pushed my pants off my ass and bent over. I finished the number bumping and grinding with my butt inches from Samuel's smiling face. My audience broke out in cheers as the song ended. I ignored the calls for more and pulled my pants back over my ass.

"Well Samuel, is that good enough for your amateur dance contest?"

"Definitely better than amateur. I think you are overqualified for my plan."

The professor said, "If Jean is determined to go through with your dumb plan, I think we need to spend some time dealing with contingencies."

Of course, that meant another pitcher of beer. The professor dropped me off at my dorm well after eleven. As I dragged my sorry ass up the stairs, I considered what we were planning. I was terrified of Herod. If the professor was right about David being innocent, then Herod might well be the monster who mutilated Inesa. All the bravado I had felt was the result of too many beers.

Of course, I was in no shape to study when I got back to my apartment. Naturally, there was a surprise quiz the next morning in Contract Law. I asked myself why today should be any different. I had flunked too many of the previous quizzes and barely passed this one. I had a hard time focusing on Monotone Stone's lecture. My mind kept coming back to Herod.

#

As soon as I could escape my Contract Law class, I headed to my dorm room to change into something comfortable. It was another hot August day in Philadelphia, so I put on a light sleeveless blouse and tight-fitting shorts. Well, they had been tight fitting a few months ago.

I knocked on the door to Samuel's place a little after one. Marian opened the door and let out a squeal when she saw me. She wrapped me in a warm hug before dragging me inside. I was warmly greeted by the rest of Samuel's stable. Even little Butterfly seemed happy to see me now that she knew I wasn't a threat. I looked around the room with a big smile on my face. I realized my best friends in Philadelphia were in the room. All of them were in various forms of undress. Most of them were wearing light transparent wraps without underwear. Their dress left little to the imagination.

Trixie found me a place at the dining room table and went to the kitchen to fetch me a sandwich. The girls who were not on lunch duty sat with me and began to pepper me with questions. Not a lot had happened in my life that I could talk about, so the conversation soon changed to the usual topics about clothes, makeup, and men.

Marian happily told us about the John who had dated her on both Friday and Saturday night. On Saturday, he had given her a pair of diamond earrings and kept her for the entire evening. I was thrilled to see Marian so happy. The change in her attitude since I had first met her was dramatic. I felt a knot in my stomach when I realized that the source of her misery had been the same pimp that I planned to meet in the Velvet Groove. I told myself, Samuel wouldn't let me go if he didn't believe he could keep me safe.

After lunch Trixie, Marian and I went across the hall.

Trixie said, "After Marian joined us, Samuel decided to grab this apartment when it became available. Now we have two girls to a room instead of four. We also took over the basement. We actually have room for four more girls in case you are interested."

I tried to laugh. "Trixie, if I don't turn my Contract Law class around, I may have to take you up on your offer."

loerics
loerics
959 Followers