The Time Spine Complete

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

His eyes softened, and he handed the spine over to his oldest friend.

He said the words, "Save her," and died.

James just stood there, the spine dangling in his hand, as the machines around them screamed their monotonous beep. The nurse pushed him back and began CPR, but James knew. His dear friend was gone.

His face was wet with tears. If there was any justice in this world, that last sacrifice would redeem his old friend. At the very least, he had died free, unfettered from the psychological slavery of the time spine.

James stood, face wet, a small, sad smile upon his face. He looked down at the terrible relic that would save his daughter's life. He looked down at the man who had once been his best mate. The machines kept up their continuous beep-tone.

It was the saddest, most joyous day in James' life.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

They gave very specific instructions to the surgeon. James paid an extra quarter million dollars to make sure the instructions were followed to a tee.

He had spent quite a bit of time and money researching the right doctor. He needed someone highly skilled, yet morally dubious. Finally, he discovered Doctor Richard Clarke. A brilliant surgeon, he had a bit of a gambling problem. He needed money, and fast. This suited James just perfectly.

Thus he was able to designate a rather strange set of instructions.

1. No other doctors or nurses in the operating theater.

2. He must twist the spine until he hears a pop to begin surgery.

3. He must take his time and not rush. The baby would not bleed.

4. At the completion of surgery, he must realign the spine until he hears a pop.

5. Only then is he to summon support staff.

An odd set of instructions, and only a desperate man would consider them. Luckily for James, Dr. Clarke was very desperate indeed.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

The operation was a success, and the doctor, although he never really understood what had happened, never suspected the truth.

They named the baby Guinevere, in honor of her savior and protector, Arthur.

James did not destroy the time spine. He had finally realized that even something disgusting and evil could be used for great good.

Instead, he vowed to protect and guard the spine. He and his offspring, who would eventually number 27, would continue the tradition.

Over the years, an elaborate set of rules and rituals grew around the use and guardianship of the spine. The spine could only be used in the most dire of emergencies, and only then with the unanimous consent of all of the members of the order.

Great wrongs were righted with the spine. Great evils conquered. Disasters avoided. Generation after generation, the order survived, guarding the spine. The general public remained completely unaware of their existence.

The name of the order? Well, it had been Guinevere's idea. She had such a wry sense of humor.

They were known ever after, among themselves, as the Vertebratti.

1...67891011